Environmental Protection Agency Employee Reviews in United States

Good Place to Work
Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 23, 2015
The EPA is a good place to work. You have a good balance between work and home. The only problem if you want to move up the ladder in promotion you will probably have to move to Washington DC. It has great benefits and great people overall.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Salary, Benefits
Cons
Promotion Limited
USEPA Review
Student Aid (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2015
Overall, I felt like it was a great place to work at and wish I could have gotten a job there after my internship ended. My typical day consisted of me doing mainly routine admin work (mailings, filing, timecard auditing, etc.). However, some days I would do more hands on work such as looking over official USEPA documents. During my time there, I learned a lot about government processes and the amount of paperwork need to do anything. My management always gave me high marks on reviews and I always got along with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was running out of work to do and becoming bored. The most enjoyable thing was being the go to person for when employees had any issues with systems or their work.
Pros
Days off, flexable schedule.
Cons
Healthcare, bad employees rarely fired.
secure workplace, but not much opportunity for advancement once you reach a certain GS level
Chemical Review Manager (Current Employee) –  arlington, vaApril 6, 2015
EPA is a good place to work. The job security is great. The work life balance is great. The compensation is average. The culture will depend on which office you are in. I'm in pesticides. My coworkers are smart, interesting, and capable people, but there isn't much opportunity for advancement once you reach a certain GS level. Management often dilly dallies a long time before deciding to make key policy decisions. Our IT stuff is terrible. We have really cheap Dell computers that malfunction all the time. It's difficult to work from home. Overall a good place to work, but not stellar.
Pros
nice job security, good pension benefits, great work life balance
Cons
few opportunities for advancement and bad technology
Professional Setup and Efficient grants management
Senior Auditor, Awards Compliance (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2016
Professional Setup and Efficient grants management.Nice place to work and lots of learning opportunity. There is a lot of independence in working and lot of scope to learn for self development.
Pros
Good working condition
Cons
Sometimes response time from management is very slow.
Working with Intent
Director, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 12, 2016
Overall, the primary intent of the EPA workforce is to improve the various ecosystems that our mission effect. However, the politics overall deal the impact and value that the great people want to execute.
Pros
Work/lIfe flexibility
Cons
Lack of Diversity of thought and experience in senior roles
Very high level jobs with the opportunity to Telework
Environmental Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2016
Most projects were very educational, active participation to the public and inter-office work share was definitely a required focus. Excellent yearly training with tracking by management. Annual Reviews written with your input was required.
Pros
Training, job opportunities, Awards
Good
Clerical/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 6, 2016
While at Environmental Protection Agency I was responsible to organize and set up many of the company’s activities and events. I participated in the organization and development of the companies Facebook page. The duties I performed included photocopying, faxing and filing of many documents
This is a wonderful company to work for
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 7, 2015
This is a great place to work if you have a family because the management is very flexable on letting you leave when needed if you have the leave built up to take leave. They are not very keen on building you up in your position. You stay where you are for a long time before you are even considered for advancement, if at all.
Pathway Intern (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 8, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the EPA. It only helped affirm that working with human health and the environment s something I definitely want to do. I got to see different aspects of those processes and got to work with very knowledgeable people on various projects, some outside of my specific work group.
mostly productive but dated workplace.
Community Involvement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 2, 2015
Day to day duties vary greatly by season and work week. Benefits are out of office travel and regular communication and close working relationships with all offices withing the agency.
Office of General Counsel - EPA
Office of General Counsel (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 31, 2016
Awesome opportunity if you are a ivy league college grad who wants to build a family while working in the law field. Not an ideal environment for a non-attorney.
Pros
Family Oriented
Cons
Diversity
Great Place during Internship
Student Consultant Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 15, 2016
My time at the EPA was under an unpaid internship. Although I was not paid, the experience and knowledge I gained from my time there was second to none.
Pros
Free Metro Fare
Cons
I wasn't paid
Excellence job content
Partner Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Ann Arobr, MIApril 12, 2016
Great place to work. My manager treats employees with respect and as adults with much to input. It is a team environment with many departments that come together for one goal.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Working in cubicle
Nothing is guaranteed
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 10, 2016
I was on a one year probation period which was terminated without giving a clear reason. This agency can terminate at will be careful.
Great Place
Associate Special Agent in Charge (ASAC) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 17, 2016
Great place to work; highly recommend checking it out. Grass is greener. Located in Washington District of Columbia.

Everyday is Earth day at EPA
Epa
Honors Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2016
Loved every second of working there. Everyone seems happy, and not stressed. Theres nothing better than living and working in DC!
Lifetime Career
Supervisor - Carolyn Bohlen (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2015
I started working here practically fresh out of high school as a clerk-typist. I advanced through out my tenure to ultimately become a Enforcement Specialist. The growth here was phenomenal.

I initially prepared Enforcement Documents and provided support to Attorneys, Engineers and Scientist. I provided customer service to the public and provided them with information on which Office to contact to fulfill their request. I also prepared FOIA request. I later in my career did Enforcement activities to prepare for Department of Justice cases. I did research on Companies background, assets location and ability to pay for Hazardous Waste fines as outlined in the Superfund program.

I learned to be a professional in all situations, how to handle difficult people and how to work as an effective team member.

Management was conducive to motivating employees to go beyond doing their best to succeed in all Agency goals.
Successful environmental challenges
Environmental Protection Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 5, 2013
Review electronic mail and respond. Reserve airline reservations and lodging, rental vehicles for staff. Distribute mail. Assist budget analyst with purchase card log sheets. Provide various assistance with tasks like using databases for tracking awards, personnel action requests.

Management provides me with freedom to learn and experience various aspects of the agency. I work part of my day with another department entering information into a monitoring system for water pollution.

My co-workers are mostly professional.

The benefits for some people are easier than for others. There is a division on salaries, promotions and work at home benefits.

I love the concept of helping the earth by working with professionals who love to give their time and experience to help others.
Pros
transit reimbursement. some flexible work schedules.
Cons
limited telework for administrative staff. limited sick and vacation time. no promotions, pay raises.
POroductive and working with co-workers
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Durham, North CarolinaFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day for me at work included dealing with phone customers, patients as there came into the office;assisting with patient exams; all bookkeeping areas. What I learned was how to respect wishes of the patient. Management area was i hiring employees. Iworked well with all mt co-workers and the hardest part of the job was the long hours. The most enjoyable part of my job was the relationship developed with my co-workers and the administrative staff.
Pros
relationship with my co-workers and administrative staff
Cons
short breaks and after hour times.
Fast paced-lots of office politics, seldom fun, stressful, demanding.
Secretary/Typing (Current Employee) –  1200 Pennsylvania Ave, NW Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2015
Very quiet, demanding, very busy lots of management meeting no time for light conversation. Hard to communicate. Nothing to enjoy anymore.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Environmental Protection Agency. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3