Environmental Protection Agency Employee Reviews

Had an excelent supervisor who took time to teach you and helped you learn new things.
Sub-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 19, 2012
I liked working at EPA. It was a 2-part job. Part in the EAD Law Library and part in the Record center.

I learned how to help attorneys look on Lexis/Nexis and in the Law Library books to find what they needed to build cases against an EPA violator. Learned how to research to find a person by Social Security #, bankrupties, what other violations were pending, addresses & phone numbers.

I put information into the computer and kept track of the Law Library books and other information as the supervisor directed.

Taught classes on how to use Excel and Lotus 1.2.3, and compendiums.

Trained new Record Center employees on how to start up new files for attorneys, how to keep the files upto date and how to pull these files off the shelves when the attorney needed them.

The hardest part of this 2-part job was keeping up with the hours I worked in each department and trying to get my time card accurate.
Sometimes when I was scheduled to work in one department for the day I would be asked to cover for the other department. Sometimes I could not take my work from one department to the other so I could continue doing what I was scheduled to do that day.

All of my coworkers were great people to work with.

I enjoyed all phases of my job and it was a great place to work.
Pros
learned new things, taught classes, had a great supervisor, did not have to work weekends.
Cons
time sheets.
IT Lead position - no frills
EZ Tech Service Desk Lead(Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCMarch 24, 2015
Core hour lead position for an RTP Based Call Center,
Managed a team of 12 fulltime and 2 part-time individuals,
Handled the performance tracking and review of all RTP call center staff,
Created and maintained Knowledge base articles for use in training and day-to-day operations,
Coordinated with DC Call center lead on staff availability for 6am to 9pm Mon-Fri hours,
Assisted RTP manager in organizing statistics on RTP Call Center performance along with coverage for Operations calls should availability be an issue,
Being a government contracted position - there were unexpected pitfalls( 2013 furlough, administration change, general bureaucracy, etc),
Expressed difficulty with Project Manager over counterpart in DC(noted by dozens of RTP based(and some DC Based) staff members both prior and during my employment). Comments were received and subsequently ignored by both the Project Manager and replacement RTP Service Desk Manager,
Pros
Managing a team of qualified and trusted individuals, all made the best of an often stressful work environment
Cons
Management lacked understanding of call center limits when agreeing to Federal performance metrics
Intense. Active work environment
Customer Service Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 11, 2013
All administration duties but also, consulting and coordinating with clients who needed a great deal of business. Pertaining to assisting them with designing a small business web site or conducting fashion trends based on government layouts etc.

I not only learned how to write business proposals but, also established close relationships with various clients based on networking, budgeting your business as well as designing creative graphic production illustration and web pages.

The majority of my co-workers all played an important role. For those who did photography, audio, visual.... everyone accomplished expressing our most creativeness!!

It is rare but, having not met a deadline was the hardest part of my job. But, the most enjoyable part of it all was making a difference in the work force as a whole with working with other government officials and small businesses.
Pros
overcoming challenges by continuing to be creative in business work environment.
Cons
turnover and motivation. avoid call centers with high employee turnover rates.
Successful environmental challenges
Environmental Protection Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 5, 2013
Review electronic mail and respond. Reserve airline reservations and lodging, rental vehicles for staff. Distribute mail. Assist budget analyst with purchase card log sheets. Provide various assistance with tasks like using databases for tracking awards, personnel action requests.

Management provides me with freedom to learn and experience various aspects of the agency. I work part of my day with another department entering information into a monitoring system for water pollution.

My co-workers are mostly professional.

The benefits for some people are easier than for others. There is a division on salaries, promotions and work at home benefits.

I love the concept of helping the earth by working with professionals who love to give their time and experience to help others.
Pros
transit reimbursement. some flexible work schedules.
Cons
limited telework for administrative staff. limited sick and vacation time. no promotions, pay raises.
USEPA Review
Student Aid (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2015
Overall, I felt like it was a great place to work at and wish I could have gotten a job there after my internship ended. My typical day consisted of me doing mainly routine admin work (mailings, filing, timecard auditing, etc.). However, some days I would do more hands on work such as looking over official USEPA documents. During my time there, I learned a lot about government processes and the amount of paperwork need to do anything. My management always gave me high marks on reviews and I always got along with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was running out of work to do and becoming bored. The most enjoyable thing was being the go to person for when employees had any issues with systems or their work.
Pros
Days off, flexable schedule.
Cons
Healthcare, bad employees rarely fired.
Lifetime Career
Supervisor - Carolyn Bohlen (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2015
I started working here practically fresh out of high school as a clerk-typist. I advanced through out my tenure to ultimately become a Enforcement Specialist. The growth here was phenomenal.

I initially prepared Enforcement Documents and provided support to Attorneys, Engineers and Scientist. I provided customer service to the public and provided them with information on which Office to contact to fulfill their request. I also prepared FOIA request. I later in my career did Enforcement activities to prepare for Department of Justice cases. I did research on Companies background, assets location and ability to pay for Hazardous Waste fines as outlined in the Superfund program.

I learned to be a professional in all situations, how to handle difficult people and how to work as an effective team member.

Management was conducive to motivating employees to go beyond doing their best to succeed in all Agency goals.
Going to events and presenting about Air Quality
Intern (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 29, 2014
Working for the EPA as an Intern was an educational experience that I will never forget. When going to work I would get with my mentor and discuss what I would do for the day. I would attend meetings with the Liaison officer when they were meeting with the tribes in the region. I would go with my mentor to help set-up booths during job fairs and assist in educating the public about Air Quality in our state. I was put in charge of designing a new poster board for the job fairs my mentor really liked the job I did. My co-workers were very helpful when I had questions they made me feel welcomed on my first day. I really didn't have a part of my job that I thought was hard. The enjoyable part of my job was knowing I had contributed in helping educate the public about the environment.
Pros
working four ten hour days
Cons
leaving once the summer was over
Driven and motivated workplace
WaterSense Branch Tech Team Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of me researching the best management and practices of dipper wells. Dipper wells are the sinks that we see in coffee and expresso shops such as Starbucks. These sinks aren't water efficient, so my main task was to research ways to make these dipper wells efficient enough so that they could possibly be labled by the EPA. My co-workers were very helpful in helping me complete my research, which was presented at the end of my internship. The hardest part of the job was researching dipper wells even though the help was there. Dipper wells aren't very well known, so acutally finding good material to present was a challenge. Lastly, the most enjoyable part of the job was being in a Federal Government office for the first time. I actually had a chance to see what that was like.
secure workplace, but not much opportunity for advancement once you reach a certain GS level
Chemical Review Manager (Current Employee) –  arlington, vaApril 6, 2015
EPA is a good place to work. The job security is great. The work life balance is great. The compensation is average. The culture will depend on which office you are in. I'm in pesticides. My coworkers are smart, interesting, and capable people, but there isn't much opportunity for advancement once you reach a certain GS level. Management often dilly dallies a long time before deciding to make key policy decisions. Our IT stuff is terrible. We have really cheap Dell computers that malfunction all the time. It's difficult to work from home. Overall a good place to work, but not stellar.
Pros
nice job security, good pension benefits, great work life balance
Cons
few opportunities for advancement and bad technology
Protecting the environment was a tremendous goal.
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 20, 2012
The best part of the job was the work it self and the ability to advance within the position as well as the opporunity to advance into other positions. I loved the work and the people. The benefits were excellent. The EPA values its people and treats employes fairly. The hardest part of my work were short deadlines and many layers of review. This was especially true when we were developing policy. I found my co-workers to be good team players and hard workers. I learned to meet deadlines, to be rated when doing training or mediation. I learned to have a tough skin and to be flexible. I have excellent computer and writing skills. I have excellent communication skills that helped me in mediations, working with people.
Pros
free bus pass
Good contracts for work...
Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCMay 19, 2013
I worked with AIX systems and also as project or support network engineer M-F 8-5 for almost 5 years in 2 GSA contracts. I learned about systems & administrations and applications support. Also worked with high tech tools like HP OpenView, Node Manager, Console Management among others. It was a diverse workplace. The hardest part was management changed so often by DoD contractors. I learned new technical skills. Tough environment to be in due to so many changes all the times. Best part was flextime when needed.
Pros
learning new technical skills
Cons
its just a job
sun, sea, samples, lab
Water Samples Collector (Former Employee) –  Cabo rojo, PRSeptember 4, 2013
I was starting my day at 8:00am and take water samples at the Boqueron Bay 3 times per day, every time i take the samples to the lab to do PCR,and other studies. I learn how study the samples, the importance of clean water, and the risk for the people that use unclean water. My co-workers help me a lot to understanding all the process. The hardest part was that I finish my day at 10:00pm. I was so tired. The most enjoyable part was work with the sea, and study to take results. I was loving this job!
Pros
beneficts like car rental to move between my town and the town of job.
Cons
temporary work
Service Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington DCSeptember 10, 2012
Over 12 years’ experience as Service Desk Manager with 20 years of proven experience managing information technology & telecommunications systems, resources, and personnel in the commercial, government, and more specifically the DoD sector with the US Air Force. Recognized for skills in organization, oral/written communication, critical thinking, problem analysis and resolution, customer service, exceptional ability to work independently or within a team, performing well under the most stressful of situations, and personnel training. Interacts well with people of diverse backgrounds, cultures, professional and technical expertise.
Very hands-on experience and I learned something new every day.
Ecosystem Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAMay 31, 2013
Every day, me and my supervisor would work on the assembly of rain barrels,maintenance of weather station, and acquisition of data from water quality sensors. All my co-workers were always willing to help or teach me something new. The hardest part of the job was applying for funds that we would need to purchase supplies for the rain barrels while the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work outside occasionally and not always working behind a desk.
POroductive and working with co-workers
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Durham, North CarolinaFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day for me at work included dealing with phone customers, patients as there came into the office;assisting with patient exams; all bookkeeping areas. What I learned was how to respect wishes of the patient. Management area was i hiring employees. Iworked well with all mt co-workers and the hardest part of the job was the long hours. The most enjoyable part of my job was the relationship developed with my co-workers and the administrative staff.
Pros
relationship with my co-workers and administrative staff
Cons
short breaks and after hour times.
Progressive and challenging work environment
Chief of Facilities and Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2014
The agency provides progressive thinkers with the opportunity to introduce new ideas to foster environmental programs in all aspects of its operations. Also worked with the very best Security consultants and federal law enforcement agencies to assist other Federal Agencies to develop comprehensive emergency response programs, plan for continuity of operations, and to devise and implement security systems and protocols to address and mitigate threats to federal facilities.
Pros
extremely satisfying and rewarding work
Cons
on the clock 24 hours 7 days a week
Friendly environment where employees go out of their way to help others
Intern, International Trade Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 6, 2014
The first thing I did was check my voicemail and e-mail to prioritize the tasks for the week. Our team had regular meetings to discuss the progress and delays on specific projects. My manager was very approachable and always willing to address any concern with a friendly and positive attitude. I had a great relationship with my co-workers; they were a productive team always willing to help interns and other employees.
Great Environment
Safety & Health Project Coordinator Intern (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCJune 13, 2012
Executed daily air testing for PM 2.5 and logged data in database for analysis; Maintained database of monitored samples for analytical review; Analyzed statistical data and product specifications to determine standards and establish quality and reliability objectives of samples; Developed and updated training course material for Ergonomics, Biosafety/Blood Bourne Pathogens and Supervisor’s Safety Training manual; Assisted and performed administrative functions that incorporated tracking and recording illnesses and injuries.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
short-termed
Good job, valued by employer, compensation not greatest, benefits were good.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 26, 2012
Worked as Receptionist, greeting visitors and issuing badges; answering phones; arranging travel and travel requests/vouchers; arranged for meeting/conference rooms usage; took minutes and transcribed for bi-monthly safety meetings and other meetings as requested.
Pros
good job, valued by employer, great benefits
Cons
job only 30 hours per week - would like to have 40 hours, compensation was okay as most workers in this program had another form of income
Fantastic agency if you are passionate about the environment, human health, and governmental policies.
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2012
I have worked in two offices of the EPA; both were fantastic experiences. I have yet to meet someone who was not passionate about their job, or had a poor attitude. The culture of the agency fosters professional development and growth.
Pros
education reimbursement, excellent benefits package, good work atmosphere
Cons
agency funding is likely to continue to be cut

4.3