Epic Systems Corporation Employee Reviews

Learn a lot and given a lot of freedom
Client Systems Technical Services (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 12, 2015
Work in a fun company with some very smart people. Freedom to manage your own time with no set work hours or dress code.

Can be fun if you like working with your clients, if you get a bad egg, you could have a very hard time of it.
Overpaid and over-worked employees
Technical Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIOctober 12, 2015
You learn a lot - they throw a lot of information at you very quickly and expect you to remember it all. Pay and benefits are pretty unbelievable but you quickly learn the people who stay only stay for the money and are not very nice, easy-going people to work with. You often feel over worked, incompetent and stressed. Company is growing rapidly which means you are only a number and nothing of significance or impact. A typical day is sitting in the office in front of 3 computer screens answering phone calls/emails or trying to understand what they never fully taught you to do.
Pros
Cool campus with good food, good pay, lots of benefits and essentially free travel
Cons
Unhelpful, arrogant people, up to 80 hour weeks including some weekends, a LOT of travel
Unsexy tech, great QOL
Software Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 9, 2015
The tech and techniques you will work with at Epic will probably be older than your dog. For starters, its database system is proprietary and is older than the founder's kids. (Not that it could be any other way. A mature EHR solution will be much larger than any company's ability to adopt new tech.)

Developers regularly log 40-hour weeks. Although management is ambitious in its goals, it does not micromanage and seems to leave developers quite a bit of room to decide for themselves how and how quickly to accomplish them. The result: developers are free to put in, past a minimum, as much or as little extra energy as they want.

That often turns out to be a sizable amount. Once, a coworker cursed under his breath as he stumbled through a bit of backend spaghetti code. But in the same breath he expressed that his personal investment in improving the healthcare kept him motivated.

Let's be clear, Epic's goal as a for-profit company is to get the almighty dollar, but it does feel that genuine concern for the patient runs deep at Epic. Perhaps satisfaction that cannot be found inherent in the work can be found in the recognition that the work is directly helping to improve lives.

Doing penance for the sin of not being located in San Francisco, Cambridge, or NYC, Epic has pulled out the stops for its amenities, which include subsidized gourmet food; soundproofed, doored offices; and eclectic, often outlandish Disney World-esque decor.

In summary: if you want to be working with the latest tech, to live in San Francisco, and be with people who clock 70 hours a week, look
  more... elsewhere. If you value humanitarianly meaningful work, aren't snobbish about the Midwest, and are willing to learn proprietary and occasionally obsolete tech, consider Epic.  less
A great first job
Technical Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIAugust 6, 2015
Epic is a great place to start your career; it just wasn't what I wanted to do in the long run. Lots of responsibility and great salary and benefits for a college graduate. Easy to fall into a poor work-life balance if you let yourself.
Pros
Culture, people, food
Cons
Work-life balance
Strong innovative leader in large medical software
Technical Services (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIMarch 30, 2015
Making a meaningful difference in the world and having a good time doing it. Great first job to have out of college, where I learned computer programming (cache, visual basic, sql, etc). Company culture is very important. High integrity and responsibility. Daily customer interactions on the Tech Services team. Cross role and cross application teams make corporate structure highly collaborative environment. Great benefits. Demanding work, but very rewarding. Occasional travel to help in many ways.
Interesting and unique company, but not for professional development
Technical Services, EpicCare Ambulatory (Current Employee) –  Verona, WIFebruary 13, 2015
The experience can be worth the effort, as it is challenging but fun. Still, most former employees will refer to Epic as a stepping stone to other careers. Epic jobs could be made more flexible to promote itself as a full career possibility, if it gave more focus to professional development services for employees.
Epic
Project Manager - Implementation Services (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIFebruary 9, 2015
Fast-paced work environment with highly intelligent employees. Beautiful campus and lunch provided on site at cafeteria. Great deal of travel involved.
Summary of responsibilities
Technical Services (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 15, 2014
This isn't a review of Epic Systems, but a summary of my responsibilities.

I worked in the Technical Services division on the Resolute Hospital Billing application - I worked with my counterparts on hospitals' IT staffs to resolve issues, plan upgrades, and (in general) be a liaison for any issues with use of the software.

I was responsible for data integrity when related to my application, doing maintenance through creating scripts, and pulling in additional resources from R&D when required. I also assisted with optimization (both in using the software effectively and in system performance with long-running batch processes). I also worked on a number of projects (internally) to automate data collection and to improve existing processes.
High energy workplace unwilling to change
Technical Services (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 3, 2014
A typical day at work involves interacting with many people via phone and email and managing any problems they are experiencing with the software and correcting them via custom settings and/or development.

The coworkers are all high energy recent college grads who work themselves near to death.

The management is the worst part of the job. They don't want to manage, they just want you to do your job with no management. This gives the company poor direction and individual employees poor guidance in direction. They are also not flexible at all when it comes to location or discussing high level changes in the way you and your coworkers do your job.

The hardest part of the job is the expectation of completion of 60+ hours of work per week, and the lack of appreciation for work volume. Everyone is treated the same generally regardless of performance based only on tenure.

The best part of the job is the people you get to work with and the gains you get in knowledge. I love going to work every day. I feel good about myself based on what I accomplish day to day.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
location
Helpful and friendly colleagues but inconsistent management
Business Intelligence Developer (Former Employee) –  Verona, WINovember 5, 2014
As a business intelligence developer on the outpatient healthcare team, a typical day at work would be spent creating development logs, working on development projects (in Epic's electronic medical record system, Oracle/Microsoft SQL servers and SAP Crystal reports), documenting projects and troubleshooting errors with the help of other developers on other teams.

I learned a lot about the software development process, SQL and Crystal reports and my co-workers were very helpful. However, I did have problems in setting my team lead's expectations.

The hardest part of my job was getting help for the first project that I worked on, i.e. creating a report for the American Joint Replacement Registry, since there were no other business intelligence developers on my team (orthopedics). Towards the end of my time at Epic, I was able to get a lot of help from my co-workers and understand important healthcare topics such as computerized physician order entry.
Productive and fun place to work
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIAugust 25, 2014
Great culture here that is atypical for comparable software companies.
Fun place to work, and a great place to get challenged regularly. You will work hard.
Technical Services (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIJune 8, 2014
I loved working at Epic. They do a good job of finding new challenges for you constantly, and let you focus where you want. You do need to take control of your own career and let your managers know what you want or they will just throw a lot of stuff at you.

They give you more than you can do in a normal work week, so be prepared to say no and to dictate your own work/life balance.
Pros
great place to work. campus is awesome. people are super smart and fun.
Cons
you will work hard. very hard at times. hours can be long if you let them get that way.
Dynamic workplace, nice campus
Technical Services/Customer Consultant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 30, 2014
Typical day - A variety of internal meetings, customer meetings, phone calls, e-mails, and troubleshooting.

I learned better methods of troubleshooting, reading and writing code, internal processes of a software company.
Pros
campus, personal offices
Cons
expected weekly hours
Competitive work environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIMarch 4, 2014
Challenging work environment. Lots of very talented people, lots of room for advancement
Overall good experience, but non sustainable
Project Manager - OpTime/Anesthesia (Current Employee) –  Verona, WIFebruary 26, 2014
Epic helps college graduates gain valuable experience immediately following graduation, but does not have a supportive infrastructure in place to make the job a long-lasting career.
Good place to begin career
Project Manager/ Implementation Consultant (Current Employee) –  Verona, WisconsinFebruary 7, 2014
Impressive responsibilities
Quick development of skills
Epic Fail
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Verona, WIJanuary 27, 2014
Life After Epic, or: How I Lost Hope For Humanity

You can expect to get paid a decent amount, but working for Epic has a severe trade-off. It's like being in an abusive relationship where the federal government really needs to step in to investigate.

Despite my brain injury, I worked 110-120+ hours a week. I worked harder and longer than anyone in the company, while more than meeting expectations. I did well, but my application manager made it seem like I wasn't doing a good enough job (highly suspicious, given that I excelled at another application, reporting or the "Cogito Ergo Sum" application). I even met with the HR director, who asked me if I wanted a new application manager (in other words, to have her fired), and I replied no that it wasn't necessary (I now wish I said yes, as she falsely accused me of many wrongful actions). I received no raises or bonuses while others were, and new hires were making a higher salary than me. And, the cult atmosphere at Epic compounded everything. Everyone at the company, many local businesses, and my healthcare providers were told to gang up on me to make me feel uncomfortable enough to quit by way of bullying, social and emotional blackmail, false accusations, defamation of character, and ignoring all communications with me to make my job impossible to do. Some examples are to get everyone to cough, spit, and wave their hands up to their nose as if something is smelly. One of my coworkers even admitted to me that others were organizing against me. They also have visual monitoring in the office and on your laptop, not to mention other
  more... sadistic and voyeuristic tendencies to audio-visually monitor employees. Whenever I contested my treatment, I would be hit with more discriminatory acts against me. But, I worked until I finished my job. Seeing that I would not quit by way of this discrimination, I was fired. It's interesting that after I took a look at my HR file, personnel file, or whatever Epic chooses to call it, there was nothing in there, save for the usual base information that's found in everyone else's files. So, there was no legitimate reason for my firing. They then packed up my belongings and said they would ship it to my home address, but instead, they made me pick it up so that I may sign their severance agreement. Maybe I should have taken their two week severance pay in exchange for no wrong doing by Epic, since that would help me survive for about one more month. But, I refused any amount they would give me.

It was as if Epic thought I wasn't injured, since they waited nearly half a year after my injury to set me up to have an MRI exam and my doctors said I was fine. At first I thought that Epic was under the wrong impressions and went into extreme lengths to get me fired (including but not limited to breach of privacy, patient confidentiality infringement, and false accusations of numerous counts). Regardless, I realize that this treatment of employees goes on at the company regularly to anyone at the whim of management / the CEO. Though, my case was much more severe, which brings me to the thought that perhaps I should have been more tact about telling others about what the HR director asked of me, since all of this sounds like retaliation to me (which still leaves open the probable, that Epic made a mistake). They even went so far as to turn my own doctor against me, or is that the doctor's own fault (yet, this level of effort requires coordination and collusion)? These practices are unethical, illegal, and should be investigated by the federal government.

Now, after well over a year of being unemployed, applying for hundreds of jobs with no interview and thus not being able to find a career job, not to mention not having any source of income and no unemployment benefits, employers avoid my candidacy like the plague. There have been no positive, tangible results since Epic. They probably only wish that issues like this go away over time, but until they make amends for what they did to me, I will continue to review Epic online. Sad thing is, given how labor consistently resents Epic, I bet they don't even know how to make amends. I would hate to work in healthcare again, let alone at Epic, and I don't know how any current employee can stand by Epic; many of them were the ones blindly following orders like Hitler's SS, making my experience at Epic as miserable as it could be.
The best job I'd have to say I ever had...
Call Center (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 24, 2014
It was fun working at Epiq. The client that me and my co-workers helped was not a busy one, so, we had time to idly chat, and the client didn't mind... as long as we were ready as soon as a call came in! We couldn't read, or bring electronic devices to use on the call floor, but, the management and everyone was really awesome.
Pros
loved the environment, great management, good pay!
Cons
was not direct hire, very difficult to get hired on directly, lot of turn-around.
Great place to start a career
Project Manager - Implementation Services (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 29, 2013
Must learn on the job very quickly. Lots of responsibility. Great opportunity to learn project management and about the healthcare industry.
A lot of responsibility early good pay terrible hours
Application Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Verona, WINovember 8, 2013
Work anywhere from 60-90 hours a week.
Project management experience
Manage multiple analysts
Pros
pay
Cons
hours work is mundane

2.6