Epic Systems Corporation

Epic Systems Corporation Employer Reviews

Dynamic workplace, nice campus
Technical Services/Customer Consultant (Current Employee), Madison, WIMarch 30, 2014
Pros: campus, personal offices
Cons: expected weekly hours
Typical day - A variety of internal meetings, customer meetings, phone calls, e-mails, and troubleshooting.

I learned better methods of troubleshooting, reading and writing code, internal processes of a software company.
Competitive work environment
Project Manager (Former Employee), Verona, WIMarch 4, 2014
Challenging work environment. Lots of very talented people, lots of room for advancement
Overall good experience, but non sustainable
Project Manager - OpTime/Anesthesia (Current Employee), Verona, WIFebruary 26, 2014
Epic helps college graduates gain valuable experience immediately following graduation, but does not have a supportive infrastructure in place to make the job a long-lasting career.
Good place to begin career
Project Manager/ Implementation Consultant (Current Employee), Verona, WisconsinFebruary 7, 2014
Impressive responsibilities
Quick development of skills
Epic Fail
Project Manager (Current Employee), Verona, WIJanuary 27, 2014
Life After Epic, or: How I Lost Hope For Humanity

You can expect to get paid a decent amount, but working for Epic has a severe trade-off. It's like being in an abusive relationship where the federal government really needs to step in to investigate.

Despite my brain injury, I worked 110-120+ hours a week. I worked harder and longer than anyone in – more... the company, while more than meeting expectations. I did well, but my application manager made it seem like I wasn't doing a good enough job (highly suspicious, given that I excelled at another application, reporting or the "Cogito Ergo Sum" application). I even met with the HR director, who asked me if I wanted a new application manager (in other words, to have her fired), and I replied no that it wasn't necessary (I now wish I said yes, as she falsely accused me of many wrongful actions). I received no raises or bonuses while others were, and new hires were making a higher salary than me. And, the cult atmosphere at Epic compounded everything. Everyone at the company, many local businesses, and my healthcare providers were told to gang up on me to make me feel uncomfortable enough to quit by way of bullying, social and emotional blackmail, false accusations, defamation of character, and ignoring all communications with me to make my job impossible to do. Some examples are to get everyone to cough, spit, and wave their hands up to their nose as if something is smelly. One of my coworkers even admitted to me that others were organizing against me. They also have visual monitoring in the office and on your laptop, not to mention other sadistic and voyeuristic tendencies to audio-visually monitor employees. Whenever I contested my treatment, I would be hit with more discriminatory acts against me. But, I worked until I finished my job. Seeing that I would not quit by way of this discrimination, I was fired. It's interesting that after I took a look at my HR file, personnel file, or whatever Epic chooses to call it, there was nothing in there, save for the usual base information that's found in everyone else's files. So, there was no legitimate reason for my firing. They then packed up my belongings and said they would ship it to my home address, but instead, they made me pick it up so that I may sign their severance agreement. Maybe I should have taken their two week severance pay in exchange for no wrong doing by Epic, since that would help me survive for about one more month. But, I refused any amount they would give me.

It was as if Epic thought I wasn't injured, since they waited nearly half a year after my injury to set me up to have an MRI exam and my doctors said I was fine. At first I thought that Epic was under the wrong impressions and went into extreme lengths to get me fired (including but not limited to breach of privacy, patient confidentiality infringement, and false accusations of numerous counts). Regardless, I realize that this treatment of employees goes on at the company regularly to anyone at the whim of management / the CEO. Though, my case was much more severe, which brings me to the thought that perhaps I should have been more tact about telling others about what the HR director asked of me, since all of this sounds like retaliation to me (which still leaves open the probable, that Epic made a mistake). They even went so far as to turn my own doctor against me, or is that the doctor's own fault (yet, this level of effort requires coordination and collusion)? These practices are unethical, illegal, and should be investigated by the federal government.

Now, after well over a year of being unemployed, applying for hundreds of jobs with no interview and thus not being able to find a career job, not to mention not having any source of income and no unemployment benefits, employers avoid my candidacy like the plague. There have been no positive, tangible results since Epic. They probably only wish that issues like this go away over time, but until they make amends for what they did to me, I will continue to review Epic online. Sad thing is, given how labor consistently resents Epic, I bet they don't even know how to make amends. I would hate to work in healthcare again, let alone at Epic, and I don't know how any current employee can stand by Epic; many of them were the ones blindly following orders like Hitler's SS, making my experience at Epic as miserable as it could be. – less
The best job I'd have to say I ever had...
Call Center (Former Employee), Beaverton, ORJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: loved the environment, great management, good pay!
Cons: was not direct hire, very difficult to get hired on directly, lot of turn-around.
It was fun working at Epiq. The client that me and my co-workers helped was not a busy one, so, we had time to idly chat, and the client didn't mind... as long as we were ready as soon as a call came in! We couldn't read, or bring electronic devices to use on the call floor, but, the management and everyone was really awesome.
Great place to start a career
Project Manager - Implementation Services (Current Employee), Madison, WIDecember 29, 2013
Must learn on the job very quickly. Lots of responsibility. Great opportunity to learn project management and about the healthcare industry.
A lot of responsibility early good pay terrible hours
Application Coordinator (Current Employee), Verona, WINovember 8, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: hours work is mundane
Work anywhere from 60-90 hours a week.
Project management experience
Manage multiple analysts
Great learning experience
Implementation Project Manager (Former Employee), Madison, WIOctober 8, 2013
Pros: high starting salary, friendly people
Cons: no work-life balance, lack of room for growth
Epic is a great place to learn skills that you may not learn in college, and as such it is a great entry level position. There's room to learn and there's a strong culture. Madison is also a very friendly city for young professionals. There are some areas of improvement, such as more transparency from HR and management, and a better work-life balance. – more... Room for growth is also capped. – less
Challenging and engaging work environment
Implementation Project Manager (Current Employee), Verona, WIOctober 5, 2013
The most enjoyable part of working at Epic is that it is a company full of intelligent and driven people. I have the opportunity to learn from my co-workers everyday and also to teach them in areas in which I am an expert. Epic emphasizes on-going education, in both the technical aspects of the software and general healthcare industry knowledge.

I – more... also like that I have the opportunity to build quality relationships with my customers. I work closely with three healthcare organizations and must navigate the different relationships at each in order to ensure successful implementations. Through my work at Epic, I have learned a great deal about balancing the need to lead decision-making processes based on my knowledge and experience with the desire to set my customers up to succeed on their own in the long-term.

The most challenging part of working at Epic is balancing the work load required to manage three large implementation projects at once. I travel to one of my customer sites almost every week of the year and must be able to focus on my onsite work while also keeping track of progress and issues occurring in the other two projects. It requires extreme organization, A-plus time management skills, and the ability to effectively delegate tasks to others. Those are qualities that I have honed while working at Epic. – less
Engaging, challenging environment for a good cause
PATIENT ENGAGEMENT LEAD & MANAGER (Current Employee), Verona, WIAugust 27, 2013
Epic hires incredibly bright, talented people. This company has the culture and values that an employee is lucky to see even once in a lifetime.
Productive place to work, expect to work a lot, but great for those directly out of school willing to travel
Project Manager - Implementation Services (Former Employee), Verona, WIAugust 17, 2013
Pros: great benefits, excellent job for person right out of school, lots of opportunity to own things independently
Cons: poor feedback loop, difficult to move up, poor internal documentation
Travel more than 50%
Work with intelligent co-workers, driven with high expectations
Excellent customer list though you will need to motivate analysts regularly
Managing timelines and customer expectations are the hardest part of the job.
The people on your team and your peers generally make the job also seeing projects through to completion is really – more... wonderful. – less
Excellent electronic medical record company that values its people and clients
Team Leader and Project Manager (Former Employee), Madison, WIApril 1, 2013
We empower providers and staff with our integrated and specialized clinical suite of software applications.
Good compensation, but long hours if you are staffed in implementation.
Project Manager/Implementation Services (Current Employee), Madison, WIFebruary 28, 2013
If you are staffed in implementation you will have long hours and travel close to 70% of the time. The co-workers are the best part of the job as they are all eager to help and want to succeed, but the hardest part is the travel and extremely long hours. There is little to no work/life balance.
Good compensation and nice campus
Software Developer (Current Employee), Madison, WIJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: good compensation
Cons: work-life balance, age-old technology
I am still undergoing training so I can't really comment on the most of the factors. However, I can assure that the compensation, the people and the campus are really nice.
Productive workplace with impeccable co-workers
Project Manager (Current Employee), Verona, WINovember 14, 2012
Day-to-day tasks include troubleshooting, testing, system build, and project management. I've learned a great deal about software and troubleshooting.

My co-workers are fantastic. Everyone is willing to share lessons learned and help others with their problems. Everyone works hard and is intelligent.

The hardest part of the job is work-life balance, – more... but the most enjoyable part of the job is helping my customers get their system live. It's very rewarding. – less
Fun, exciting company to do hard work for.
Project Manager (Former Employee), Verona, WISeptember 10, 2012
Pros: epic does a lot to encourage productivity and expects the most in return.
Cons: the culture leads to a small group of young people holding a great deal of power, which can sometimes lead to misuse of authority due to inexperience.
Epic is a large company that encourages growth in their employees. One of the most enjoyable aspects is being encouraged to learn new things and expand your skills, especially early in your career. They expect a lot from their employees. They primarily employee young, highly ambitious people.
4/5 Stars, would repeat this experience
Project Manager - Healthcare Analytics (Former Employee), Verona, WIAugust 16, 2012
Pros: exceptionally good benefits
Cons: 60-85 hour work weeks
I couldn't find the proper work/life balance. My coworkers were fantastic - brilliant and quite capable. The hardest part of the job was finding a good balance between life and work while still getting the job done.
Fun place to work but they work you to the bone
Application Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee), Madison, WIJuly 23, 2012
Great, intelligent people
Heavy travel
Flat company with little room for growth
Good under certain conditions
Software Developer (Current Employee), MadisonJuly 3, 2012
Epic is a strange place. If you are from around here and want to stay here, its a really good company to work for.

Pros
Decent pay with good benefits. Job security is good if you are good at your job. The company is doing well and the people at the very top are doing some good things. The work is interesting. Lots of young people and a very casual – more... atmosphere. If you are young and moving into town, do not worry about meeting new people. Madison is a great town.

Cons
Depends on your role. For software developers the biggest con is that your job skills are not marketable. For other roles, it is similar but not as much. Implementers and TS will get overworked.

Feels cultish.

There is an iron clad non-compete that will not let you work for a client or customer for 1 year. This seems normal, but the problem is that they are the only ones who want to hire you after you've been at Epic a while are hospitals installing Epic.

They make people who really do not know how to be managers into managers. Everything is process process process (which is good and bad) to the point where a simple thing takes days. – less

About Epic Systems Corporation

Epic is committed to having its employees share in the growth of our company. You become eligible for stock appreciation rights – Read more