Epic Systems Employee Reviews

high pay - high burnout rate
Finance (Former Employee) –  Verona, WISeptember 21, 2016
I worked at Epic and went in with an open mind, but quickly realized that the rumors I had heard were correct. The pay and benefits were excellent, but the burnout rate was extremely high. Expectations are possible, but not realistic without the sacrifice of long hours, some weekends, and maintaining an almost perfect work record. Best advice, go in with the thought of leaving after a couple years because that's about as long as most people can survive.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
long hours, weekends, critical reviews
Learned a lot
Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 28, 2016
I was their first employee. They treated me as a professional, gave me guidance when I asked for it. Enjoyed my time there very much. Both of the owners were very bright and had a passion for engineering.
Pros
Passionate owners, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
none really
Great Place
Legal Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 17, 2015
Great place to work in. Atmosphere is very friendly. I learned how to deal with people in uncomfortable situations, the "tell" of a person while doing an interview, seeing if a person is qualified or otherwise for a position I am seeking, and I learned how to multitask in a more efficient manner.
Pros
Free Breakfast on Friday, Work from home some days
Cons
Temporary Position
epic
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 7, 2015
Working with analysts to troubleshoot build problems,testing, training, project managing, assisting analysts with any problems they may have had, and working on internal projects.
Qa
QA (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 17, 2015
Does not fit my background and it was challenging passing exams and projects. Management only looks at results and numbers and do not give more than a few chances. Young culture masks stressful situations and narrow experience.
Kickass software internship
Software Developer & Intern (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIJuly 20, 2015
Epic is a great place to work. Madison is a fun town, the campus is beautiful, and you know that your work is making meaningful changes in healthcare.
The intern program is great! They have a really good orientation program and do a good job of arranging interesting things for interns to do together out of work, and most projects seem to be of an ideal scope for an intern. Each intern gets a mentor and a boss, who check in one or two times a week and help make sure they are on the right track. Projects are put together with no central oversight, so there is the chance of getting unlucky.
The culture is nice. Although it sometimes felt like I was swamped in meetings, I still had time to get code cranked out.
Pros
subsidized delicious lunches, free coffee and juice, beautiful campus with slide
Cons
too much Air conditioning, hard to find soda because of health-conscious culture
Great place to work with a proper supervisor
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIJune 29, 2015
Epic was a good place to work at with lots of challenges in terms of the work. MY development team was filled with intelligent, passionate people who were determined to provide the best product possible. I had some issues with the fact that the management system made it difficult to advance if you had a supervisor that did not make it a point to fight for you.
Good company doing good things
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIJune 24, 2015
Epic is a good company full of smart, hard working people. They hire people from all walks of life, everyone is very helpful and friendly. The culture of the company is a very important asset.

The campus is beautiful!
Pros
Good food, good compensation and benefits
Cons
Steep learning curve, keep an eye on job/person fit
Unique young culture
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Verona, WIJune 20, 2015
Typical days start and end at your own discretion, as long as you are meeting quality standards. Daily lunch was subsidized and you could eat homecooked meals for 4$ with a wide variety.
Pros
Great coworkers, great food, great campus
Cons
Random increased workloads, bit of micromanagement.
I wasn't cut out for it
Technical Services (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 1, 2015
Although there are about three major umbrella roles that they hire you for, everyone's experience will be different. Depends on your Team Lead (boss), application, the client you get partnered with is big, and you yourself - your personality, expectations, etc etc - well, that is the biggest determiner.

For some, this is a great gig.
The main tangible ($$$) is a big pro, especially for kids right out of college.

I couldn't hack it and was basically forced to resign - I think somewhat unjustly - but I didn't like being there on account of having to sit in an office for hours and hours. Also I was fresh out of college, so it was an (over)dose of bleak adult reality.
Pros
cafeteria, pay, benefits, challenging, trips
Cons
work hours, sort of messed up management style
Quality Assurance Lead (Current Employee) –  Verona, WIApril 30, 2015
The main focus of my job is end user testing of development logs. I also spend a lot of time creating, coordinating, and managing projects and constantly paying attention to quality and processes outside of testing development.
Working with some of the smartest people in US
Technical Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WisconsinApril 5, 2015
They provide high-tech environment. Epic is the Google of the healthcare industry. It's a multi-billion dollar company that you can only read in fairy tales. It's an entire playground. They have a movie theater and a slide. You have to check out the pictures find through google images and even that doesn't that justice to the full experience of what you receive working at Epic.
Great Company to Work For
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 4, 2015
In my time at Epic, I learned quite a bit. There are a lot of demands for employees and they expect a lot. However, they also compensate their employees well.

I was a great year that I worked there!
Cutting edge company with mediocre mid level management
Implementation Consultat (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 15, 2015
industry leader, smart people, hard working, driven company. mid level management could do more to be in touch with front line employees
Great first job, but long hours
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIFebruary 13, 2015
Working at Epic was a great experience and it definitely helped prepare me for the challenges of my next job. However, I often found myself working late nights in the hotel lobby while on the road. Your salary will help alleviate some of the stress of the workload, but life as a project manager is tough.
Lots of smart, fun, energetic young people poorly managed by slightly older, narrowly experienced people
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIFebruary 12, 2015
This review is for Implementation.

It's a decent place to work if it's you're a recent college graduate and your manager isn't terrible. Managers intentionally and consistently encourage (the Epic word is "voluntold") employees to work more, knowing that they will not be fairly compensated. When asked about compensation and employee rankings, they use dodgy language until you pin them down, at which point they may lie explicitly to your face (happened to me twice in three years).

New employees are smart and enthusiastic, but it takes 6 months to 1 year for them to start contributing significantly. Most good people leave after a few years (>25% turnover), so managers tend to be in the ~30th percentile, or they are busy-bodies without personal lives who think that more equates to better. Managers rarely have experience outside of Epic, leading to ignorance and arrogance. Additionally, there are many inappropriate romantic relationships with managers and newer employees.
Great first job
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 8, 2015
Working as a project manager at Epic is a great first job. You are given a lot of responsibility and autonomy from the get-go. The company culture allows you to grow quickly if you are motivated and perform well.

Travel is a major part of the position, for better or worse.
Pros
great campus, good compensation, autonomy, responsibility
Cons
lots of travel, majority of company is fresh out of college
Great culture, poor management
Business Intelligence Developer (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIFebruary 6, 2015
Epic worked me hard, but fairly. I spent my time working with reporting tools to build reports for health care organizations using various metrics in deficiency tracking, release of health information, hospital coding, and duplicate patient matching.

The management style at Epic is very hands-off, with little contact. I spent at most 10 min. a week with my boss. I work best as a part of a team and when I understand how what I'm doing fits into the broad picture. I barely ever met with other members of the team, and consistently struggled to understand the broader picture.

The thing I found hardest about the job was feeling as though I was working as an isolated unit. The most enjoyable part of the job was either the creativity exemplified in and encouraged by the company culture or the opportunity to better understand the structure of group coding and how teams work together to accomplish goals in an industry context.
Pros
creative environment, good early experience
Cons
hands-off management system, poor team coordination early
Epic - tough but fair
Project Manager - Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 16, 2014
 Plan and lead meetings with the project team, management, and executives
 Plan and manage high-dollar projects aligning business goals with technology solutions to drive process improvements, competitive advantage and bottom-line gains
 Leverage technical, business and financial acumen to communicate effectively with client executives and their respective teams
 Develop training curricula
 Manage a project teams of 4-6 people and expected to have high-quality deliverables that meet or exceed timeline and budgetary targets
 Work on internal projects - from fixing issues with the foundation system, to assisting with sales presentations
Pros
amazing office, young coworkers, awesome benefits
Cons
long hours, a ton of travel, difficulty balancing work and personal life
Great environment, poorly structured
Software Quality Assurance -- Test Plan Runner (Former Employee) –  Verona, WINovember 14, 2014
So first things first: the work environment around Epic is great. Having a personal (or shared) office is pretty good. It's also nice that you can easily get in the door straight out of college. On the flipside, that can be a liability, because you have to really know what you're doing in terms of making your own path professionally.

My main problem was that I was newly dropped into a position (a subset of QA) that neither of my teams strongly understood. And, accordingly, it was a position that there wasn't a lot of support or training for. I spent a massive amount of time trying to determine what my position was supposed to look like, but it never felt like I had a clear grasp on what that was. My team management also struggled with it.

The lack of direction wound up snowballing things. If I'd had more personal initiative, I probably could have turned things around on my team, but I didn't have enough experience in the role to feel confident in my knowledge of it. I was encouraged to leave as things kept getting worse, and did so.

It's my suspicion that other (less niche) roles at the company don't suffer from this problem.
Pros
great benefits, fun campus, awesome cafeteria, friendly work environment
Cons
very self-directed, so it's easy to lose your way if you're not massively self-assured

2.3