Epic Systems

Epic Systems Employee Reviews

Good company doing good things
Quality Assurance (Former Employee), Verona, WIJune 24, 2015
Pros: Good food, good compensation and benefits
Cons: Steep learning curve, keep an eye on job/person fit
Epic is a good company full of smart, hard working people. They hire people from all walks of life, everyone is very helpful and friendly. The culture of the company is a very important asset.

The campus is beautiful!
Unique young culture
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee), Verona, WIJune 20, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, great food, great campus
Cons: Random increased workloads, bit of micromanagement.
Typical days start and end at your own discretion, as long as you are meeting quality standards. Daily lunch was subsidized and you could eat homecooked meals for 4$ with a wide variety.
I wasn't cut out for it
Technical Services (Former Employee), Madison, WIJune 1, 2015
Pros: cafeteria, pay, benefits, challenging, trips
Cons: work hours, sort of messed up management style
Although there are about three major umbrella roles that they hire you for, everyone's experience will be different. Depends on your Team Lead (boss), application, the client you get partnered with is big, and you yourself - your personality, expectations, etc etc - well, that is the biggest determiner.

For some, this is a great gig.
The main tangible ($$$) is a big pro, especially for kids right out of college.

I couldn't hack it and was basically forced to resign - I think somewhat unjustly - but I didn't like being there on account of having to sit in an office for hours and hours. Also I was fresh out of college, so it was an (over)dose of bleak adult reality.
Quality Assurance Lead (Current Employee), Verona, WIApril 30, 2015
The main focus of my job is end user testing of development logs. I also spend a lot of time creating, coordinating, and managing projects and constantly paying attention to quality and processes outside of testing development.
Working with some of the smartest people in US
Technical Services Analyst (Former Employee), Madison, WisconsinApril 5, 2015
They provide high-tech environment. Epic is the Google of the healthcare industry. It's a multi-billion dollar company that you can only read in fairy tales. It's an entire playground. They have a movie theater and a slide. You have to check out the pictures find through google images and even that doesn't that justice to the full experience of what you receive working at Epic.
Great Company to Work For
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee), Madison, WIMarch 4, 2015
In my time at Epic, I learned quite a bit. There are a lot of demands for employees and they expect a lot. However, they also compensate their employees well.

I was a great year that I worked there!
Cutting edge company with mediocre mid level management
Implementation Consultat (Current Employee), Madison, WIFebruary 15, 2015
industry leader, smart people, hard working, driven company. mid level management could do more to be in touch with front line employees
Great first job, but long hours
Project Manager (Former Employee), Verona, WIFebruary 13, 2015
Working at Epic was a great experience and it definitely helped prepare me for the challenges of my next job. However, I often found myself working late nights in the hotel lobby while on the road. Your salary will help alleviate some of the stress of the workload, but life as a project manager is tough.
Lots of smart, fun, energetic young people poorly managed by slightly older, narrowly experienced people
Project Manager (Former Employee), Verona, WIFebruary 12, 2015
This review is for Implementation.

It's a decent place to work if it's you're a recent college graduate and your manager isn't terrible. Managers intentionally and consistently encourage (the Epic word is "voluntold") employees to work more, knowing that they will not be fairly compensated. When asked about compensation and employee rankings, they use dodgy language until you pin them down, at which point they may lie explicitly to your face (happened to me twice in three years).

New employees are smart and enthusiastic, but it takes 6 months to 1 year for them to start contributing significantly. Most good people leave after a few years (>25% turnover), so managers tend to be in the ~30th percentile, or they are busy-bodies without personal lives who think that more equates to better. Managers rarely have experience outside of Epic, leading to ignorance and arrogance. Additionally, there are many inappropriate romantic relationships with managers and newer employees.
Great first job
Project Manager (Current Employee), Madison, WIFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: great campus, good compensation, autonomy, responsibility
Cons: lots of travel, majority of company is fresh out of college
Working as a project manager at Epic is a great first job. You are given a lot of responsibility and autonomy from the get-go. The company culture allows you to grow quickly if you are motivated and perform well.

Travel is a major part of the position, for better or worse.
Great culture, poor management
Business Intelligence Developer (Former Employee), Verona, WIFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: creative environment, good early experience
Cons: hands-off management system, poor team coordination early
Epic worked me hard, but fairly. I spent my time working with reporting tools to build reports for health care organizations using various metrics in deficiency tracking, release of health information, hospital coding, and duplicate patient matching.

The management style at Epic is very hands-off, with little contact. I spent at most 10 min. a week with my boss. I work best as a part of a team and when I understand how what I'm doing fits into the broad picture. I barely ever met with other members of the team, and consistently struggled to understand the broader picture.

The thing I found hardest about the job was feeling as though I was working as an isolated unit. The most enjoyable part of the job was either the creativity exemplified in and encouraged by the company culture or the opportunity to better understand the structure of group coding and how teams work together to accomplish goals in an industry context.
Epic - tough but fair
Project Manager - Implementation Specialist (Former Employee), Madison, WIDecember 16, 2014
Pros: amazing office, young coworkers, awesome benefits
Cons: long hours, a ton of travel, difficulty balancing work and personal life
 Plan and lead meetings with the project team, management, and executives
 Plan and manage high-dollar projects aligning business goals with technology solutions to drive process improvements, competitive advantage and bottom-line gains
 Leverage technical, business and financial acumen to communicate effectively with client executives and their respective teams
 Develop training curricula
 Manage a project teams of 4-6 people and expected to have high-quality deliverables that meet or exceed timeline and budgetary targets
 Work on internal projects - from fixing issues with the foundation system, to assisting with sales presentations
Great environment, poorly structured
Software Quality Assurance -- Test Plan Runner (Former Employee), Verona, WINovember 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits, fun campus, awesome cafeteria, friendly work environment
Cons: very self-directed, so it's easy to lose your way if you're not massively self-assured
So first things first: the work environment around Epic is great. Having a personal (or shared) office is pretty good. It's also nice that you can easily get in the door straight out of college. On the flipside, that can be a liability, because you have to really know what you're doing in terms of making your own path professionally.

My main problem was that I was newly dropped into a position (a subset of QA) that neither of my teams strongly understood. And, accordingly, it was a position that there wasn't a lot of support or training for. I spent a massive amount of time trying to determine what my position was supposed to look like, but it never felt like I had a clear grasp on what that was. My team management also struggled with it.

The lack of direction wound up snowballing things. If I'd had more personal initiative, I probably could have turned things around on my team, but I didn't have enough experience in the role to feel confident in my knowledge of it. I was encouraged to leave as things kept getting worse, and did so.

It's my suspicion that other (less niche) roles at the company don't suffer from this problem.
Good Experience hard work
Project Manager and Implementation Consultant (Former Employee), Verona, WINovember 11, 2014
Pros: atmosphere culture
Cons: long hours hard work no career development after first couple years
Good experience lots of hard work. Cool buildings. Lot of later nights and over working is an expectation. hard to set yourself apart. Everyone is overly stressed which leads to people not having time to help as much. good start to a career. good experience for a fresh graduate. doesnt seem like they higher older people as the entry levels of the job require a lot of tests and training. Good experience lots of hard work. Cool buildings. Lot of later nights and over working is an expectation. hard to set yourself apart. Everyone is overly stressed which leads to people not having time to help as much. good start to a career. good experience for a fresh graduate. doesnt seem like they higher older people as the entry levels of the job require a lot of tests and training. Good experience lots of hard work. Cool buildings. Lot of later nights and over working is an expectation. hard to set yourself apart. Everyone is overly stressed which leads to people not having time to help as much. good start to a career. good experience for a fresh graduate. doesnt seem like they higher older people as the entry levels of the job require a lot of tests and training. Good experience lots of hard work. Cool buildings. Lot of later nights and over working is an expectation. hard to set yourself apart. Everyone is overly stressed which leads to people not having time to help as much. good start to a career. good experience for a fresh graduate. doesnt seem like they higher older people as the entry levels of the job require a lot of tests and training. Good experience lots of hard work. Cool buildings. – more... Lot of later nights and over working is an expectation. hard to set yourself apart. Everyone is overly stressed which leads to people not having time to help as much. good start to a career. good experience for a fresh graduate. doesnt seem like they higher older people as the entry levels of the job require a lot of tests and training. Good experience lots of hard work. Cool buildings. Lot of later nights and over working is an expectation. hard to set yourself apart. Everyone is overly stressed which leads to people not having time to help as much. good start to a career. good experience for a fresh graduate. doesnt seem like they higher older people as the entry levels of the job require a lot of tests and training. – less
fun culture and challenging work
Quality Assurance (Former Employee), Verona, WINovember 10, 2014
Great place to break into the IT industry. Very laid back environment and fun culture.
Working at Epic is fun but tiring
Project Manager (Former Employee), Verona, WIOctober 29, 2014
Pros: great work environment, delicious food in the cafeteria, expense account while traveling, good employee training
Cons: lots of work, you will end up taking work home with you, limited vacation time, tight deadlines
Working at Epic as a project manager is a fun but tiring job. The company culture is neat. There is plenty of job security. However, you will work very hard. The work/life balance is skewed heavily towards work. You will work 60 hours a week. You must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously. As long as you are comfortable with tight deadlines and hard work you will make a lot of money and advance quickly.
The Big healthcare company
Software Developer (Current Employee), Madison, WISeptember 7, 2014
Pros: food. campus. easy-to-get-along employees
Cons: work/life balance
Epic's a good company, they hire smart people and give them what they can to get things done. Benefit packages are highly competitive and the management style is not overrun with processes and procedures.

That being said, like any big company there are shortfalls and room for improvement. There are some things that could be done to really help keep the ball going. Epic seems to utilize the method of setting the bar high and seeing which employees stick around. As such, they have a turnover rate for the benefits they get. Regardless, as of 2014 they are expanding rapidly and should not be slowing down anytime soon.
Epic Systems
Quality Assurance (Former Employee), Verona, WIAugust 13, 2014
Great company to work for. The key is to find what you enjoy and make sure management knows it. Quality Assurance is very flexible at this company and performs many tasks outside of simply testing the software. The testing you do is all non-technical.

Sometimes there are long weeks and sometimes there are short weeks. By and large what you put in will determine whether you enjoy your job here or not.
fun place
Application Coordinator-Inpatient Orders (Former Employee), Madison, WIAugust 1, 2014
Pros: cool google type atmosphere
Cons: you are always gone, worked to the bone for under standard industry pay
Everyone knows the life balance at Epic isn't great, but it's a necessary stepping stone, and they do try and make it bearable.

Judy gets a bad wrap and is a nice lady
Great Pay and Benefits, But Terrible Work/Life Balance
Project Manager (Former Employee), Verona, WIJune 28, 2014
Pros: great cafeteria/food, tons of perks like travel rewards, excellent bonuses and pay
Cons: no real job protection, company doesn't care about you as a person, no work/life balance at all
As a project manager, my days when in the office consisted of a day half-full of meetings and half-full of ensuring the customer installation of software was successful. This sometimes meant holding meetings/calls with them and troubleshooting software issues until a problem was fixed or we could identify it well enough to place a ticket to develop the fix. Since I traveled more than 50% of the time, I spent most weeks on site with the customer working with subject matter experts (SMEs) to shape the software install as needed for them to do their jobs effectively. I also worked with a customer team on site, mainly training them to become self-sufficient once the install was over and the Epic implementation team eventually moved to other projects. A typical project took 12-18 months.

There isn't a true management structure at Epic in the sense that I directly reported to a superior. We worked with mentors when we first started and for the first year they trained us to become more proficient in project management. This was freeing for a time, but eventually the cracks in a system like this began to show, particularly when the lack of oversight led to some less than stellar implementation because there was little fear of losing one's job due to shoddy performance. This could cause the entire project to falter.

The biggest issue with the project manager job is the lack of a work/life balance. I recall many 70+ hour workweeks that included travel away from home, 10+ hour days, bringing my laptop home and working well after the sun went down, and then being too tired on the weekend – more... to do much but catch up on sleep. The pay and benefits are great, but the company feels it necessary for whatever reason to treat its employees like endless sources of hard work, eventually burning most of them out so that they leave the company broken. This is why the company has such a high turnover rate, and why most of their new hires are right out of college. The recipe for a successful software company seems to be hire young graduates, pay them well, work them to death, then spit them out in time for the next batch of young talent. Rinse and repeat. But hey, at least they do a good job of distracting new hires from all this early on with a bunch of perks like a good cafeteria, coffee shops on campus, and even a slide in one of the buildings. – less

1 2 3

About Epic Systems

Epic Systems tells a grand tale of health care technology. The company provides health care management software that integrates – Read more

Epic Systems Salaries