Equity Residential

Equity Residential Employer Reviews

Maintenance Technician
Maintenance Tech I (Current Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 25, 2014
Pros: good benefits, good pay, good hours
Cons: budgets (for supplies and parts), relocation
- A typical day at work would be seeing if there are any move-ins for that day so I can make keys and re-key the vacant apartment. Then respond to any priority service request. After, work on turns with vacant apartments such as painting, carpentry, electrical, appliance repair/replacement.

- I learn everyday. I time myself and see how long it takes – more... for me to finish a certain task. The next time I do that same task, I try and beat it by learning how to do it more efficiently but also in a timely manner.

- Management/co-workers. Communication and teamwork. If you communicate with your team and are always on the same page, it makes it easier for everybody to get through the day. It also makes work more fun because everyone is helping each other out making it easier for everybody. Work smarter, not harder.

- I would say the most hardest part of my job would be not being able to complete a certain task due to not having the part and having the resident disappointed because the job was not finished when expected. I don't like to let people down and customer service is key in any industry. If the resident is not happy then that means I am not doing my job.

- The most enjoyable part of my day would actually be completing the task that I started. Nothing feels better the accomplishment. – less
great place to wrok
Account Specialist (Former Employee), Plano, TXMarch 24, 2014
Enjoyed working with numbers. Company offered job advancement and training opportunities.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 8, 2014
Performed hands-on maintenance of apartment community. Duties included overall inspection, repair and preventive maintenance of apartments and other interior/exterior areas. Supervised and delegated work for the maintenance department staff. Worked with the Property Manager to maintain a budget for the most cost effective practices. Provided training – more... and development for – less
New challenges daily
Service Technician (Former Employee), Lakewood, WAFebruary 3, 2014
Each day is an opportunity to learn new ways to do daily task.
Great enviornment to work in.
Doorman/Concierge (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: meeting and working with different kinds of people.
Cons: no cons.
I enjoy working for Equity Residential, the staff are friendly and very professional. The residents are usually friendly and easy going. I love working with different people from all different backgrounds, its something thats very easy for me to do.
ok to work for
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee), Norwalk, CTJanuary 28, 2014
property management. ok to work for but your taken for granted and it feels like there tying your hands at every turn.
equity
make ready (Former Employee), Lewisville, TXJanuary 20, 2014
good benefits, great locations to work. up scale. I did not work long with them. they sold all texas assets.
Great Company!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2014
Great training, enjoyed my colleagues and fun! Hardest part of the job was the residents.
Growth oriented company
Property Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2014
Best company I have yet to work for.
Great work life balance.
Competitive salary.
Great benefits.
good
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 19, 2013
Pros: medical 100% coverage
Cons: medical 100% coverage
it is very fun to work with this company because everything i order
Loved working here, makes me sad to leave
Administrative Assistant to VP's (Current Employee), Vienna, VADecember 18, 2013
Pros: great health benefits, vacation & holidays, company events and parties, lots of great people to work with and get to know.
Cons: i can't think of any cons
I planned to stay until I retire, however, it was wise for the company to move to Washington DC and we agreed mutually it was not a good move for me, so when they move in March I will find work elsewhere, if not before.

I have been highly appreciated and rewarded working for my teams at Equity and I will miss them terribly. They tell me I am 'un-replaceable' – more... because I have old fashioned loyalty and administrative skills - (I am not allergic to getting coffee for them or for their visitors, or doing minor personal errands as needed.)

The hardest part of the job was sometimes it was slow and I prefer to feel productive and busy so the time goes by faster and I end it feeling like I have accomplished a lot. Some day are just slow!

The most enjoyable part of the job was the individuals I supported and got to know over the 5 years with them. It is like a 2nd family and my Christmas bonus's and gifts showed their appreciation and my worth to them.

There was no job advancement for my job, it is kind of a pigeon hole job in that it is needed but there aren't any levels above to grow towards. But I was content with that, I loved this kind of work and have been doing it for 30 years. – less
Exceptional company with industry leading training and innovation
Sr. Leasing Consultant (Current Employee), Hermosa Beach, CADecember 16, 2013
Pros: industry leading training
Cons: compensation
Equity Residential is an exceptional company to work for and has allowed me three promotions within three years of working for the company.
I was taught how to successfully run a company for a multi billion dollar corporation
General Manager (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHDecember 11, 2013
Pros: great upper management support
Cons: location was limited with growth
Worked with our off site controller with every aspect of the P&L
Built budgets, Set department targets for the department heads to achieve
Horrible Employer
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee), NorthwestDecember 10, 2013
Cons: endless
Terrible employer! Don't be fooled! Management is an uneducated, cheap and a sleazy group. If you want to work like a frantic lunatic with very low pay, handling communities of angry residents, this is the job for you. A highly miserable experience.
Run for the hills
Would rather not say (Former Employee), N/ADecember 7, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: weak, fake managers, poor pay, bad leadership
This company is all about who you know in order to get anywhere. They are full of uneducated, high school mentality gossip fiends and are beyond unprofessional. It doesn't matter that in 3 years, you made them at least $10 million and were a multiple award winner, promoted, hard working and well loved by residents and prospects. If 1 person who has – more... the highest employee turn over in an entire portfolio yet has been with the company for 20 years abuses, treats people like they are beneath her and gets off on belittling her employees yet doesn't like you, you will not be considered for new opportunities. They will hire people you trained and learned from you everything they know about leasing apartments and how to be a winner and pay them more than they paid you. They charge residents ridiculous renewal rates for garbage 1980s apartments with nothing to show for the increase other than their award winning "customer service." It's a joke!! Find a better company. Look for a company that requires more than a high school diploma as you will see for yourself that these uneducated, losers are all about a popularity contest. Even after 20 years, their managers are still not making 6 figures. I made $95k out of college and the only reason I pursued this bogus company was because my company folded after I was there for 5 years and I was forced to look at other industries. They are a weak ticket. – less
For retiree and college student
Concierge (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 18, 2013
Not to much to say on company value and ethic. This is for second job not career job
Good Company
Senior Property Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 28, 2013
Pros: education
Cons: too many bosses
Overall a good company.
Great team leaders
Wonderful coworkers
Freedom to manage Property
Union Concierge (New York City/ San Diego) (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 23, 2013
Pros: good schedule and benefits
Cons: management played a small role
As a residential Concierge I was always on the move throughout the day dealing with move ins/outs, answering phones, helping the leasing staff, accommodating residents and their issues. I learned valuable customer service skills. Management was somewhat disconnected and provided only a small amount of guidance which cultivated an independent work ethic – more... that I used to stay productive on my own. The volume of requests and work orders at a 680 unit luxury high-rise building was the hardest part to stay on top of but the gratitude expressed by residents was most enjoyable for me. – less
A very challenging place to work
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Joint Base Lewis McChord, WAOctober 9, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: management could be more employee friendly
My typical day at work consists of receiving the work load and putting together a strategy/forecast in order to get the job done with all of the equipment needed (each home has certain needs). I have learned no matter how much you know, there are always ways to improve yourself and your performance. I believe management could be a little more understanding – more... with employees, however, they are there to get a job done. My co-workers and the residents are the ones that keep/kept me here. There hardest part of the job is to adjust to the different needs of the situation of what we do. After 22 years in the military, I should have this down. Most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the residents happy with what we do for them. – less
Don't
General Labor (Former Employee), Fort Lewis, WASeptember 24, 2013
Pros: management is easy to manipulate
Cons: you can be easily let go if they find any reason
Poor values and management. I had a great 7 year run with them before management changed and I was fired without warning on a minor offense. Pay is poor as well and they do a barely passable job of maintaining properties.

About Equity Residential

Equity Residential owns, builds and operates high-quality apartment communities in places – like New York City, Boston, – Read more