Equity Residential Employee Reviews

Leasing Consultant
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLNovember 27, 2017
it was a great company, Just didn't think the pay was fair. It was extremely low for a leasing consultant with over 6 years of experience. Also you work every weekend. Which they should change or hire someone to work weekends. I mean every weekend I worked NO weekends off. No work/ life balance. If they would change that policy and increase the pay then overall it would be a good company.
Pros
Discount off rent
Cons
Work Every weekend
December 7, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your time with Equity. We take a lot of factors into consideration when determining one’s compensation, including industry experience when applicable. Each new employee that joins Equity brings a unique skill set to the table, and we factor in those contributions when determining a competitive offer. Work/Life balance is extremely important here at Equity, and we are sorry to hear that you did not feel that was the case. We offer paid time off benefits that include 8 hours of community service that you can utilize every year, sick time, vacation time, personal days, and company paid holidays; in fact, this year our office and service teams are getting both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off* (*certain exclusions may apply). Working on the weekends is a fundamental requirement for our leasing consultants, as we are a customer focused industry and weekends are a popular time for our customers to stop by. However, a benefit of working the weekends is that this is typically when most commissions are earned. Once again, we appreciate all of your feedback and we wish you the best!

not good
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WANovember 13, 2017
I worked there for about a year the property was for sale the entire time i work for them. my maintenance tech quit and they wouldn't replace him because they were selling that went on for 10 months. i was asked to hide things because they didn't want to fix them because they were selling
December 7, 2017

It’s always difficult to hear feedback that doesn’t align with the culture and experience we strive to deliver to our employees. That being said, we certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We would like to opportunity to hear more about your change of heart, and urge you to reach out to your local HR department at 206-508-0640 to further discuss your concerns. Thank you again, and we hope to hear from you soon.

Competitive and fast paced environment
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 13, 2017
Opportunities for advancement and excellent training and support. Equity has some of the best training and education in the industry and their pay range far exceeds their competition.
Pros
Stock purchase program
Cons
Mid-level management
December 7, 2017

Your review speaks volumes to all of the hard work and research our Comp and Benefits teams do, as well as the time and dedication our Organization and Talent Development team puts into training and development courses and programs! Thank you for taking the time to recognize their efforts. And it sounds like you participated in Equity’s stock option purchase program, which is a great way to invest and prepare for the future! Thank you again for sharing feedback on some of the great benefits Equity has to offer.

Management was great, but..........
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDNovember 8, 2017
I do not feel I was adequately compensated for the workload and the commission structure is lack luster compared to other companies. which is why most people leave.
December 7, 2017

We’re disappointed to hear that you left Equity feeling this way, and want to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We strongly encourage our employees to discuss any concerns they have with their manager, Regional Manager, or local Human Resources Department. We wish you the best.

Amenities galore, gym and awesome community
Concierge & Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 7, 2017
If you enjoy working in Seattle then this is a great company to stick with. What I loved most about management was that there was a willingness to listen and they worked very hard to ensure that everyone was still an individual while working as a team.
December 7, 2017

Your comments encompass the kind of company culture that we strive to achieve, and that’s definitely something that we love to see! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

Productive and Professional work place
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2017
Amazing work productivity and overall outgoing colleagues. I loved the atmosphere of the department and the way others were so friendly yet professional.
December 7, 2017

We’re delighted to hear about your team experience during your time here at Equity! Thank you for taking the time to share such kind words about your colleagues - we wish you the best of luck!

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CANovember 2, 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Equity. It was challenging, stressful at many times, but I loved the team I was on and felt very accomplished at the end of each day. I love Equity's culture, and their benefits were amazing!
December 7, 2017

We are thankful for your amazing review!! It’s such a pleasure to read comments that support and define that kind of company culture that we all work so hard to achieve. Thank you for embracing the challenging times and for celebrating all of the positive ones!

Great for meeting new people
Leasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 2, 2017
This was a fun job unless you are in a crime ridden neighborhood. It can be very scary being confronted by residents who haven't paid thier rent.
On a good note it is so rewarding finding someone a home
December 7, 2017

We share the sentiment that helping find someone a home is a rewarding experience; it’s an amazing feeling for all parties involved when that’s accomplished!
Please know that we always want our employees to feel comfortable in their work environment; if ever there’s a time when that’s not the case, we would encourage them to reach out to their manager, Regional Manager, or local HR team to express their concerns. Please feel free to reach out to our local HR team in Washington DC at 202-971-7088, if you’d like to further discuss your experiences at Equity. Thank you!

Productive and good people
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2017
It was a temporary job, so typical day can only go so far. I had a project of sorting through boxes of documents and pulling specific ones. There was also filing involved. The staff was very friendly.
Pros
good people
Cons
temporary position
December 7, 2017

While your position with us was temporary, it’s so awesome to know that our teams left such a permanently positive impression on you! Thank you for your comments and we wish you the very best of luck!

Great company
Maintenance Department - Punch Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 19, 2017
Very good company if you are looking to get into the property management industry or maintenance. It is a great company to start. Very competitive benefits package.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
December 7, 2017

We couldn’t agree more - Equity Residential is a great place to start (and continue to develop and grow within) your career! Thank you so much for sharing comments on your positive experiences with us!

great place to work
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 18, 2017
great place to work, once you became a manger you were kinda stuck in that position. Benefits and pay are great lots of training involved, they was constant support!
Pros
discount apartments
Cons
stuck in positions
December 7, 2017

We appreciate you taking the time to share your enthusiasm surrounding benefits, compensation, and training - thank you! Conversely, it’s always hard to hear that an employee feels that they were stuck in a position, especially after acknowledging our training efforts. We have a fantastic Organization Talent and Development department that specializes in developing training programs, which to your point, offers support to employees that are seeking growth. We have a great track record of promoting from within as opportunities present themselves, however we also recognize that there are times when patience and/or flexibility are needed in order to seek promotion opportunities. We strongly encourage our employees to speak to their managers, Regional Managers, OTD contacts, and/or HR contacts if they have any questions on taking the next steps to be considered for a transfer or promotion. Thank you again for sharing your feedback!

Maintenance Supervisor/ Multi-City Communities (Former Employee) –  Florida,Georgia,ChicagoOctober 13, 2017
Equity Residential was and is the best management company to work for in the world. They have put together a culture and working place second to none. Anyone lucky enough to work for this company is truly fortunate In 2007 my property was converted to condominium or I would still be there no doubt
Pros
great pay
Cons
they took free apt away
November 6, 2017

What an honor to receive a 5 star rating - thank you! Individuals like you are such a key component to the company culture that we strive so hard to achieve. There’s something to be said about a former employee of 10+ years that comes back to grace us not only with kind words, but with a powerful message such as “Equity Residential was and is the best management company to work for in the world.” Thank you.

Awesome
Project Manager (July 2017) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2017
Enjoyable company and job...I would recommend working to anyone. Nice culture, people, departments, places, opportunities. Good experiences and chance to grow
November 6, 2017

Speaking of awesome…thank you for the awesome review! We appreciate your recommendation and are so pleased to hear about your positive experiences during your time with Equity!

Senior Maintenance Tech (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 11, 2017
Really love this and enjoy working here. I work hard, I'm very loyal and reliable. They do a lot for their employees and staff. They have solid roots and great foundation to build on and learn.
Pros
50% rent in bay area
Cons
no promotions
Daily responsibilities
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaSeptember 27, 2017
Complete daily work orders, maintain interior and exterior of apartments, grounds maintenance to ensure the safety of residents, on-call services as needed.
November 6, 2017

It’s always a pleasure to see former employees visit our page and leave comments about their time with Equity. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope that everything is going well!

Great company to work for!
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  South Florida, FLSeptember 26, 2017
I truly miss Equity and doubt that there will be another out there like them. Their focus on the people, diversity and health is unheard of! I wish they had never left South Florida because things have not been the same.
Pros
They really stuck to their 10 ways!
Cons
Politics in the corporate world, but that's everywhere
November 6, 2017

What an amazing message to receive - thank you!! You are absolutely correct when you say that Equity’s focus is on our people, promoting diversity, and supporting the overall wellbeing of our employees. It’s that exact reason that makes it so difficult to at times part ways with communities, or in your instance, a specific market. We wish you the best of luck in all that you do and hope that you keep practicing the 10 ways!

Good company to start
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2017
OK place to start your career in property management. Whether you like it or not depends on the manager. They always run light on staffing which is stressful for the current employees. Corporate listens when you offer suggestions.
Pros
room for growth
Cons
They need to source better leaders on the regional level. They are always short staffed on-site, making it stressful to have a good work-life balance.
November 6, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment! As you mentioned, Equity welcomes suggestions from our team members. In fact, it’s so important to us that we have several resources in place to solicit employee recommendations and feedback - including our online MasterMinds platform, regional Town Hall meetings, and an open-door policy with our leadership teams. Staffing models and community positions are constantly being reviewed to ensure that we have the right formulas at each of our unique communities. We strive to provide our employees with a good work life balance and so we would like to invite you to contact your local Human Resources department to further discuss your specific situation. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts, we truly appreciate you!

It was ok
Maintenance Director (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 22, 2017
Had a good time working there but time to move on. Very big company room for advancement. Had a great team for 10 years. Always willing to work hard.
November 6, 2017

Thank you for your 10 years of service - that’s quite an accomplishment and we wish you the best of luck in your next role. We appreciate your comments, as well as taking the time to acknowledge the team that you had in place during your tenure with Equity; way to share the spotlight!

Not Bad
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 22, 2017
Great Company overall I just didn't like the management of my department. My manager spoke down to me as if I couldn't comprehend and micro managed. There was a click amongst the department that I was not apart of from day one.
December 7, 2017

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We pride ourselves on promoting a culture of inclusion, and are sorry to hear that you didn’t feel this wasn’t the case during your time with Equity. If you haven’t already done so, we would encourage you to reach out to your local HR contact at 312-928-1210 so that you can share the details of your experience.

Need to work with the manaement.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 19, 2017
Never have a problem with co-worker learned a lot from them, and like the way the company send the workers to classes for their work. Really like to recommend this company to anyone.
November 6, 2017

We appreciate your recommendation -- thank you! We can’t say enough great things about our Organization Talent and Development department; they are simply the best and do a phenomenal job creating and implementing courses for our employees!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Equity Residential. Our community is ready to answer.