Equity Residential

Equity Residential Employer Reviews

Great place for advancement
Property Manager (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAJuly 1, 2013
Pros: you are rewarded for hard work, opportunity to advance your career quickly, the people i worked with at all levels were solid individuals, strong level of teamwork from property to property, you can go far in this company if you put your mind to it
Cons: salary is on the lower end for competitive markets, heavy workload
It's a very professional environment. There is a lot of resources for you to draw from in just about every aspect of your job. It is a high pressure company who asks a lot from you, but if you succeed you are put on a quick path to promotion.

There was a recent shift to a Central Business Group that eliminated the Assistant Manager Positions on property, – more... but only eliminated approximately 1/4 of what the Assistant Manager does. That saw an increase in workload for certain properties that made it impossible to complete your responsibilities without working 10+ hour days. – less
Great place to work with great HR experience
HR Coordinator (Contractor) (Current Employee), Vienna, VAJune 21, 2013
This place allowed me to improve my skills in the area of human resources. I got experience on a multitude of HRIS platforms and was heavily relied upon for my expertise and experience.
Horrible Company to Work For
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 20, 2013
I worked for the company for 5 years and saw it change from a wonderful company that easily offered advancement, fair wages and a great environment for employees to the exact opposite. It is a tragedy because it was once a company I was proud to work for. if you are looking to work in property management, stay clear of this company.
Great Class A Property
Servie Manager (Current Employee), Arlington Va.June 19, 2013
Pros: hard work will pay off
Cons: im so good right now.
Landed on the ground running and I havn't stopped yet and I love it.
My superiors and higher ups are down to earth and professional at the same time. They listen and respect your thinking..
Hard workers and positive. Breaking for lunch as that you just want to get things done. Coming in I want to be there and completing tasks at hand.
Largest apartment portfolio in the US.
Construction Manager- Renovations (Former Employee), Southern CaliforniaJune 18, 2013
Pros: good pay, good treatment of employees.
Cons: difficult to have a real culture being so large.
Good company to work for. Worked on starting and managing multiple construction/renovation projects in California. Lots of travel, but they treat you right. Moved to Essex as uncertainty in the market lead to a scaling back on renovations at Equity.
great coworkers and a fun environment
Senior Engineer and Technician (Former Employee), Herndon, VAJune 4, 2013
Pros: great benefits and great residents
Cons: no cons
I worked for Equity Residential for more than 6 years and unfortunately I had to leave due to a personal emergency. I enjoyed working for Equity and was awarded Engineer of the Year for 2 of the years that I was there. I am hoping to work for them in the future
Ok place to work
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZMay 21, 2013
I felt that there was no room for advancement with the company. When a promotional position came open they already new who was going to receive it. I went on 3 of these interviews and two of the position was filled before I even got to interview.
great job
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee), landover, md.May 21, 2013
it really is great i enjoyed the company and all of the people i was around. it would be nice to get back in contact with the company.
good company
Maintenance Tech II (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMay 4, 2013
Very flexible, everyday you learn something new, teamwork
large company
in-house and/or the need (Former Employee), phx. and scottsdale az.April 25, 2013
Pros: great company
day to day maint. repairs for residents and property learned hvac repairs enjoyed the customer service
the opportunity to help other is great
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Hillsboro, ORApril 22, 2013
Pros: ability to learn
Cons: healthcare, not as flexible
if one thrives in helping people, this place was one of them. had the opportunity to help the tenants in many different ways. the employees are a variety of cultures in which makes it good place to be. management was helpful but at times interesting.
Equity is a driven company always looking at the bottom line.
Property Manager (Former Employee), Redmond, WAApril 17, 2013
Pros: good benefits package.
Cons: very long hours.
I worked for Equity for many years. Very customer service oriented with a focus on cost analyzing and profit/rental income opportunities.
I loved it!
Property Manager (Former Employee), Altamonte Springs, FLApril 15, 2013
Pros: sister properties were there for you!
Cons: pulling out of central florida :-(
The only reason I'm no longer with Equity is because my property sold.
Learned alot in 3 yrs
Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee), Stamford, CTApril 14, 2013
Pros: access to club room and pool, residents are great to deal with
Cons: upward growth is challenging
I was the assistant manager for three years and I loved the place. It had its ups and downs but it was a great place to work. Room for growth is...challenging. As with any other job, its not what you know but who you know. In any case, I learned alot while employed for Equity and my manager was one of the best managers I ever worked with.
Good place if you're really content being a middle manager for life
Manager (Corporate Office) (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 9, 2013
Pros: insurance pretty good, lots of friendly people, very close to metra lines, nice christmas party
Cons: politics, middle-management ceiling, way too many vps, terrible mentorship / team leadership
Equity is an interesting place. I have many friends there, so I truly enjoyed coming to work every day. However, as a place to nourish a career, it's not that good. If you're content with just doing your job and getting a 3% raise every year, then you'll love it. But if you want to advance your career, and you don't like corporate politics, it's probably – more... not the place for you. Promotions were based on a very obscure spoils system, and had shifted almost exclusively to women. Lots of VPs (maybe 1/3 of the corporate office), and they all had very comfortable jobs which meant none of them were leaving. It leaves little opportunity for the rest of the non-VPs.

Very poor executive leadership, and lots of VPs on training wheels. As far as culture, it was a lot of say one thing, but do something completely different. Pay lacked big time at the manager level. I will say the work / life balance was good - that place was a ghost town by 5:08 every day.

My best advice would be work there 2 years, and quickly move-on with your career. You'll enjoy your time there as an analyst, but be miserable thereafter. – less
Not for me!
Customer Support Assistant (Former Employee), Lakewood, COApril 2, 2013
Cons: hardcore sales is not for me!
From the day I started I felt as if I did not belong! I was basically thrown to the wolves to learn. I felt as if I was bothering someone if I asked a question. Very non-personal staff.
Not to bad
Maintenance (Former Employee), Washington stateMarch 26, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: management to concerned with money instead of quality. low pay compared to other companies.
Was not to bad of a place to work for. There were some issues with management and a lot of kiss ups. Upper corporate management usually had no idea what the hell was going on. The regional HR department was unfair and always took side with the management no matter what the issue was.
Excellent Company
Sr. Leasing Consultant (Former Employee), Largo, MDMarch 25, 2013
Pros: the pay
Cons: no cons
As a Leasing Consultant I kept in touch with prospective leads and gave tours to appointment and walk-ins. I learned about the property management business, such as leases, laws, rent, service etc. My Co-workers became my outside family. There was no hard part to this job. The most enjoyable part to this job was always looking to exceed to the next. – more... level – less
Great Company, Great People
Property Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 18, 2013
Pros: pays well, benefits are amazing, stock share options
Cons: huge company getting even bigger making it very corporate and more rigid than they used to be
Great Values, great pay and training is good too. They are always advancing their technology and training. The people are the best, it is really like a family there.
Awesome company! Very sad to move to a place with no Equity properties!
Assistant Neighborhood Manager (Current Employee), Joint Base Lewis McChord, WAMarch 13, 2013
Pros: benefits, enjoyment, pace
I cannot speak highly enough about the company as a whole. Equity provides great benefits and a decent wage. Management and co-workers alike are enjoyable and highly trained at their jobs. No weekend work unless overtime (at our specific location) has been a extra bonus! Not many holidays off is the hardest part, but the job is well worth it.

About Equity Residential

Equity Residential owns, builds and operates high-quality apartment communities in places – like New York City, Boston, – Read more