Erie Construction Employee Reviews

It's a good job for the right person
Telephone Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 29, 2017
I don't have much to say, Erie is very cutthroat, they say they promote from within. Which is NOT the case! You'll be stuck in the same position the whole time you're with them. Also there's no security blanket, if you're not meeting standards, you're done! The Management in the media are people. I just think you have to be a shark to work for them, also the compensation for what you do, doesn't match for how much time and effort you put in.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
very cutthroat
lots of opportunity with a lot of drama
Direct Marketing and Sales (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 27, 2017
I wouldn't say that it was the best or worst but I would say that there is a lot of improvement that could be done. I know that there was missed opportunities for a lot of things that they messed up on.
Cool place to work and has an awesome ping pong table
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Henrietta, NYApril 24, 2017
Erie Construction is a fantastic place to learn new styles of selling. They are extremely team driven and want to see everyone succeed. I have learned a ton from these guys and love the environment.
Pros
Huge opportunities
Cons
purely commission
An honest review of a salesperson within Erie Construction
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 21, 2017
Typical Day:

Your typical day at work is going to start around 10am for morning meetings and daily training. Erie does a pretty good job of training daily to keep you fresh and ready for new appointments. After training, depending on the time of year, you will be given anywhere from 1-4 appointments for the day.

Your appointments are "pre-qualified" by canvassers and a scheduling confirmation the day before. You drive to each appointment throughout the day depending on the location. Some appointments are local, so you don't have to drive very far, but most of your appointments are scheduled anywhere from 45 min away to over 2 hours. Management will determine what the best appt. for you to run is based on your skill set and level. Each appt. varies in length of time, some lasting 15 mins and others 3-6 hours.

What I learned:

Erie Construction is a sales company. Their management will teach you a specific, well planned, rehearsed script to follow for each presentation and product. Erie taught me some very important methods for gaining entry into the home, a meet-n-greet with the customer, diagnosing issues with their current situation, structuring a plan for the customer, and finally, closing the customer. There are many products in home improvement industry you will learn.

Management:

As a new sales rep at Erie, you will have 3-4 managers or "leaders" to learn and grow from. A regional mgr who oversees day to day operations and helps with training. This person usually has the most experience in the office, but generally doesn't run appointments with you.
  more...

You will have an Assistant Sales Manager as well. Their job is to "train" you in the field while running daily appointments. This person is "supposed" to also help provide great examples in training and in the field.

Under these two, a sales rep will have a couple of senior reps for guidance.

Workplace Culture:

Again Erie Construction is a SALES company, not a construction company. Their culture, in the office, definitely portrays this. All of your training is geared towards selling their products at the lowest discount % possible. Erie sales meetings are focused on close %, demonstrations put on, etc...

When there are a lot of GOOD appointments set, morale and the culture, are generally a positive work place. When leads are slow or few, the morale greatly declines and the culture suffers. Sales reps are all Caucasian men, so if you're a woman, no need to apply.

The HARDEST part:

1.) Driving with no compensation: You are expected to provide a vehicle to get to your appointments. Erie does not provide a company vehicle or reimburse you for gas or mileage (which they will tell you at the time of the interview). This includes driving out of state, two hours north, etc... Also, you are not paid for your drive time. Some days you will spend 8 hours driving in your vehicle, not even including the appointments that you run. An Erie rep can expect to put 40,000 miles on your personal vehicle in 12 months.

Prime example.

First appointment 2 hours away.

Do your morning training. Hop in your car and drive 120 miles for FREE. Erie reps will have more appointments during the day they must drive too as well. Don't forget you have to drive home, too.

2.) Dirty Vehicle: Your vehicle becomes your office, house, bed, and work truck. You are required to pack MULTIPLE samples, bags, ladders, and various tools in your vehicle. The only seat you should have available in your vehicle is the driver and sometimes the passenger seat. Not because you're giving rides, but because you have various samples in the back seats, trunk, and front passenger seat.

3.) Staying out late: It is crucial potential Erie reps understand that you WILL be working 12 hour days ESPECIALLY in the summer. You will arrive at the office at 10am for a meeting (no compensation) and run appointments sometimes until midnight. If you have a spouse, make sure this is something you can/want to do. It wasn't bad at first until I realized you really don't spend much time with your family. In the first 90 days, you're really not getting a day off.
*You can expect to work 6 days a week and anywhere from 50-80 hours a week*

4.) Climbing on roofs and attics: As Erie rep you will be utilizing a ladder to complete your appointments. It is crucial to provide a good inspection of the roof. If you don't like attics and ladders, this job is not for you.

5.) Tracking your business: You will have many appointments in a week and sales that go with that too. Getting homeowners to buy is one thing (probably the easier part of the job), the hard part is getting their project paid for. Homeowners can either pay in cash (which is rare) or set their project up with financing. You, as a rep, do not have to pay for the customer's credit to be ran, the company will do that, but if the homeowner's credit is low and/or they have insufficient funds to complete the project monthly, they will be rejected.

If you sell a deal and it either A.) Cancels or B.) Gets rejected by the bank, YOU will NOT get paid. It is completely possible to sell multiple deals in a week for 50,000$ (which would be a pretty nice pay check) and you still not get paid. It is crucial for an Erie rep's success to follow your deals to see how much you will get paid. It's normally best to keep communication with the customer and install manager.

6.) Responsibility: DO NOT TAKE THIS JOB UNLESS YOU WANT 110% RESPONSIBILITY.

It is YOUR responsibility to provide a vehicle, cell phone, and proper clothing for work. When you sell a client, it is your responsibility to put on the presentation, close the deal, do the paperwork diligently and correctly (tedious,frustrating, annoying, way behind the times). It is YOUR responsibility to make sure your client doesn't cancel on you (i.e saving your deals). Here is the big one, when an installer, install mgr, other sales rep, secretary, or manager messes something up within your job, it is YOUR responsibility. An Erie rep has the potential to make DECENT money, you're not going to be rich, but an Erie rep has the potential to LOSE a lot of money. Sometimes money that you have already earned.

Erie calls this a "re-par". Example: The sales rep will sell a roofing job per say. The install mgr could say that the rep miss measured the roof. This will cause your commission to shrink severely, even to the point of 0$ commission *be careful -- this usually happens to new reps because they don't know how to measure.* Also, someone like the office admin could send a dumpster to the wrong house. The customer gets upset and feels like the company is incompetent and cancels their project. This could cost you 1200$ in commission and volume towards your monthly bonus. The sales rep takes full responsibility for the work that is being done, the presentation, paperwork, cash, checks, or money orders, but they also the responsibility on screw ups. It is not uncommon for a rep at Erie to lose a few thousand dollars out of their bank account each year because of other people's mistakes. Be extremely detailed, take pictures, write things down. An Erie rep should always feel like they need evidence to prove they are right and should be fairly compensated. The worst is when the project is sold, funded, and in the process of being installed, and the installer completely messes up the project or just decides they don't want do it anymore. YOU the rep will lose all of the commission and volume. The most common response you will hear is, "That's just the way of the business". Not my favorite response, especially from a "leading construction company in the nation."

High School Drama:

I probably should have put this in the culture section, but here it is. I can't remember how many times there were high school drama moments in this office. He said, she said. Finger pointing. The worst, however, is the frequency of people talking behind each other's back. At first, as with anything, you feel like "family", but you slowly realize favorites are being picked and sided with. I was mislead many, many, many times by upper management for availability in moving up. Told management was demoting and firing people and was the goal to have me in that spot multiple times -- it never happened. I've sat with the owner, management, and others, and heard them talk negatively (rudely) about other representatives that didn't have a chance to defend themselves (this will break your heart) . You become good friends with other reps because the job is tough and you ride with them for a very long time. Then people start talking behind your back and it puts a huge riff in the office.

7.) Compensation:

Don't let them fool you.

To recap on the hard things:

You only get paid if you sell it and net it. Some weeks you make 5k (rarely) some you make -500$ (YES THAT'S A NEGATIVE SIGN).

You will put on 40,000 miles on YOUR PERSONAL vehicle without compensation.

You will be working late most nights. 10pm on average.

You will be attending meetings, both in the office and corporate, and will not be paid for them.

You will deal with negative re-pars that affect your commission

You will deal with angry and rude customers.

THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART:

The company trip that I earned for my spouse and I. I was just mediocre at Erie, but grossed 1.5 million in sales. Netted over 500k. And was the first in the entire company to earn the trip. Doing it before new reps, senior reps, and even my Assistant Sales Manager.

The second most enjoyable part:

LEAVING
Pros
Trip at the end of the year
Cons
Lack of compensation for work done, negative re-pars, high school drama, hours of work, driving without compensation, full responsibility for other's actions.
Awesome stuff man
Senior Canvasser (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 11, 2017
Great job. Great boss. Environment is great. Hours suck. But other than that it's amazing. Give it it try. Can make great income for little work. Best job ever.
Telemarketer
consultant (Former Employee) –  Holt, MIApril 10, 2017
I would do cold calls to home owners discussing what products my company had and the benefits they provided. Erie sold sound proof basements, siding, roofs, sun rooms and lament.
Awesome company
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 5, 2017
Great place to work. Management was very helpful and fun to work for. They worked right along side you and showed you how to do things that met their high expectations. I learned more here than I ever did in school.
Pros
Great management
Cons
This job is a dream come true!
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 9, 2017
You will learn a selling system and if you buy into it you will do well and make money. The people I see that don't do well either don't follow the system or just aren't cut for sales. They put you through a week of training and its a ton of information but your paid for it and management team puts forth the effort. I have been with the company almost 3 years and I love what I do. The first 90 days are the toughest but if work hard you will be rewarded. I was promoted to an assistant a little after a year and they only promote within. If your good at the job you can make way into the six figure income range as I hit that mark in year two. I am in my late 20's so to make this kind of money was a dream come true for me. The St Louis branch has a lot of good people and the market is one of the best in the country. They have benefits and even do annual company trip that you can earn. I have been to Mexico and now the Dominican Republic. Best job I have ever had!
Pros
Can make great money, good benefits, promote within, company trip
Cons
Have to learn a selling system but can make well into the six figures
Build A Career, Not Just A Job
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toledo OHJanuary 24, 2017
In my seven years with Erie, I have been afforded significant growth and learning opportunities. What makes our team unique, is that we truly are a team. We care about each other's successes and life both professionally and personally.

I have been given learning opportunities, and leadership experience by mentoring and training administrative staff in our other offices. I enjoy this personal connection with all of our staff, and they know they can come to me as a resource.

While the hours can be a bit more extensive during the peak of building season, the personal ways that management takes the time to show their appreciation is what makes the overage worth it.

If you are looking for a company to build a future with, and get away from just a job, you can count on that with Erie.
Pros
Satisfaction in job performance, supportive management and team, great benefits and other employee perks
Cons
The end of the day can sneak up on you quickly, especially in the Spring and Summer months!
Erie has a great culture that really values their employees
Vice President of Sales (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 23, 2017
Great company that really cares about their customers and employees. They reward you for hard work and offer monthly bonuses that are second to none in the industry.
Pros
fun atmosphere, lucrative earnings, rewarding contests such as yearly trips
Cons
Wife spends all the money
Excellent Staff
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 23, 2017
I have been employed at Erie Construction for 13 years and I can say I cant see myself working for a better company. We are a family here, everyone looks out for one another.
In 2015 I had some medical issues and was off work for a while, they were amazing, from phone calls, cards, visits they truly made blesses to be a part of the Erie family!
Management at Erie knows how to build you up to be the best productive person you can be, true leaders!
Pros
Work hours & flexibility
Cons
Cold offices
Great Place to Make money and Growth Opportunity!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 23, 2017
I have been with the company for nearly 8 years now. After being with the company for 1 year I was promoted. Then after another year I was then promoted to higher level and given the opportunity to relocate for the company. I chose to grow with the company and make more money and moved. What a great decision it was. There is rapid advancement here. The availability to make lots of money and have no cap on your income is here!
This is the longest I have ever been at a job, I chose this to be my career. Year after year I am consistently make more then the last.
The management team is always there to make sure I am consistently trained and not left out there to fail.
The goal of the company is to serve the customer, develop employees.
It is a great feeling to know that you have a great company looking out for you and advance you and help you meet your goals in making as much money as possible.
Pros
Rapid advancement, Make lots of money, dont have to pay for leads, get plenty of leads.
Cons
Working evenings-but thats where I make my bigger sales on those appointments!
Great Work/Life Balance
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 23, 2017
I have worked at Erie Construction for over 20 years. For anyone who has a great work ethic, this is the place for you. You have to be organized and detail oriented, but also flexible and able to switch directions quickly. Erie has a lot of high energy and you are rewarded for hard work.
Pros
Always open to new, good ideas. Can work some flexible hours.
Cons
This is not a place for lazy or unorganized people. We don't have time for that.
Great company with fun atmosphere !
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 19, 2017
The training was terrific. It takes about a week of in house training to learn the system and then field training. But the learning is really on going. The management team does a great job teaching it. I have worked for a few companies in sales and this by far was the best system I have seen. The other thing I will remember most about Erie is the fun office environment. What a great atmosphere. The St Louis management and office staff are friendly and fun. They have a ping pong table, dart board and music playing to create a fun and positive vibe. I worked at the company for 2 years and really do miss it. I had to move to California where they don't have a office. Otherwise I would still be there. I made great money but the thing I miss the most is the people and office environment. Great company !!!
Pros
Fun environment, unlimited income potential, full benefits, upward mobility
Cons
You have to work some evenings, but you get 3 leads per day and can make a TON of money!!
Rewarding
Finance (Current Employee) –  Erie ConstructionJanuary 19, 2017
Team oriented work environment that encourages out of the box thinking. The environment is fast paced, but the training helps to prepare you for the day-to-day.
Pros
Communication with a wide variety of people and locations, Satisfaction and value of work completed each day
Cons
Can be long hours during peak season, but there are always staff on hand to help and make things fun.
Fast Paced But Rewarding
Finance (Current Employee) –  Erie ConstructionJanuary 19, 2017
Fast paced sales and home improvement organization. Every day is different, and there is never a dull moment. There are days that are busier than others, but overall it is rewarding and a fun place to work.
Pros
Fast paced, positive working environment
Cons
The end of the workday can sneak up on you.
Great Company, Fun Culture
Sr. Loan Processer (Current Employee) –  Erie ConstructionJanuary 19, 2017
Overall the staff is very friendly with great collaboration. The benefits and perks are similar to other companies, with a more personal touch . Like most of our staff, I have enjoyed a long tenured career with the ability to work overtime hours as I choose.

Vacation benefits are encouraged to be taken as it creates a better work and personal life balance.
Pros
Benefits and overall working environment are fun and collaborative
Cons
During busy seasons hours tend to be longer
Fun team atmosphere! Hourly, bonuses and spiffs!
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 17, 2017
Erie construction is the best company I've ever worked for. I started with the team in late October and I have been promoted three times! I can't say enough how much I enjoy going into work every single day and warming up the day with some ping pong in our bullpen with my co- workers! im here to stay, and the copmensation has a lot to do with that.. They offer an hourly rate, and an amazing bonus structure! And that comes along with spiffs for money, tv's, vacations etc.
starting as an entry level employee and finding something I was good at really opened my opportunity to grow. I'm am very happy and thankful to be employed by one of the top 5 home improvement companies in the Nation.
Pros
Promoting within/opportunity to grow. Hourly & commission. Paid weekly. Fun team atmosphere
Cons
working 2nd shift to target top prospects, in office training to develop skills for performance, weather conditions.
Unbelievable way to showcase self management and success. Great career to earn white collar salary with a blue collar mentality.
Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 17, 2017
Exciting and competitive work place that gives every representative an opportunity to succeed. Growth and earnings are always in sight to increase. Love the group of people I work with.
Pros
Great pay and bonus opportunity each day.
Cons
Have to be diligent about learning selling system.
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 17, 2017
I've been with Erie Construction 2 years. I wanted to start a professional sales career. Erie has provided me with exceptional training and promoted me in my short time here.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, promotes within.
Cons
Not 9 to 5

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Erie Construction. Our community is ready to answer.