Erie County Medical Center Employee Reviews

Enjoyed being an intern at ECMS in their Outpatient Psych Unit
Psychiatric Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 12, 2017
A typical day is different each time which is exciting and challenging.
I learned a lot thru my work there
I had little experience with management as an intern but have heard concerns from others.
The hardest part of the job is trying to help folks that can be in emotional crisis when they meet you.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help people get well and being a resource for good to them in any way possible!
Pros
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Cons
some of the rules and regs.
Unoin not for members
Administrative Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 9, 2017
Union is pro management and does nothing for the union members but collect union dues. Advancement if only for friend and family. Civil service rules don't apply.
ecmc
Patient Support Aide (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 19, 2017
Great environment to work in, friendly co wororkes who all share a common goal of health care. Very spacious but still able to build personal connections and network
Pretty decent place
Psychiatric Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 18, 2017
Good salary, good people, not much room to grow. Did not receive the supervision that I wanted. Did get to work in a fast paced environment that challenged me.
Great benefits.
Registered Nurse Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 27, 2017
Good benefits. Great work life balance. Overall good atmosphere. Great job security. Pay is decent. Would recommend others to work here. Nice atmosphere.
Used to be an enjoyable atmosphere until money became more important than patient care.
Administrative control (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 24, 2017
ECMC is a wonderful choice for trauma/ burn care. Not so much for everyday problems. Inadequate for psychiatry and elder care. The last 6 years I worked with the elderly and they are very poorly cared for, verging on neglect and abuse.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Sour working atmosphere
Good place to work, busy with a wide variety of nuclear medicine studies.
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 22, 2017
Good place to work, good benefits being a county hospital, performed a wide variety of nuclear medicine studies, learned how to manage the schedule due to many inpatient studies a day.
Pros
Good place to work, good benefits.
Cons
long work days, on call every other week for 26 weeks a year
Exciting workplace
Senior Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 3, 2017
Working at this facility was very challenging in a positive way, some days were more stressful than others but, I could utilize my education and skills proficiently; while learning the operations of an emergency’s room level 1 trauma center. My co-workers and management made the stressful times manageable with their empathy, understanding, and teamwork, this made the sometime chaotic environment manageable. With all the stress and chaos, I looked forward to going to work, I never knew what I was going to encounter when I got there, which made it not only challenging but, exciting.
Pros
The benefits
Cons
The mandating
Diverse and fun place to work
Community Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 10, 2017
During my time there i learned various ways as well as new opportunities working with developmentally disabled children and adults. I managed a house with 6 children suffering from symptoms of Autism which was the hardest part of the job. However, it was the most interesting part of the job due to ability to make change in the kids lives. That to me was the best part of the job.
Pros
new experiences
Cons
short breaks
Work
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 16, 2016
Washer in sterilization constantly need repairs. Very old. Co-workers very hard working. Team work excellent and best part of job. Using outdated equipment was hardest part of job.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Outdated equipment

Want to know more about Erie County Medical Center?

Ask a question
I love it
Community Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 29, 2016
Monitoring each patient to detect unusual or harmful behavior and report observations to professional. Record and maintain patients information such as vital signs, Intake and output, behavior/ progress and treatments. Organize, supervise, or encourage patient participation in social, education, or recreational activities groups under direct supervision of an RN
Love my current job but research funding for it has been depleting
Medical Assistant./Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Department of MedicineDecember 1, 2015
Enjoy working with doctors and patients every day and doing patient teaching. I do all travel arrangements and reimbursement acquisition for a very busy physician who is the Chief of Medicine and a hypertension specialist who travels the globe lecturing. I manage the office and am also responsible for hiring new research fellows locally and globally. This is a very interesting part of my job as it allows me to meet new people from around the world and help them to achieve medical residencies in the United States. I am also involved in clinical research studies in hypertension, heart failure & diabetes. I have had the opportunity to do a bit of traveling when new studies are initiated (for training) and this has been a great learning experience. My salary is paid by research funds and this funding has been decreasing over the last few years and will likely continue to move in this direction.
Pros
Working autonomously and managing a busy office
Cons
Salary being based on incoming research funds
great job
Enviromental Services (Former Employee) –  buffalo new yorkOctober 3, 2015
great place to work room for advancement interesting people typical work day involved cleaning waxing stripping floors minor repairs and cleaning walls
Nice and easy going place to work
Housekeeping attendant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 23, 2015
Easy place to work as long as you are focused on getting the job done. Alot of friendly communication an order to ensure the best experience possible for patients. Co workers understand that there must be a certain amount of team work presented at the work place an order to meet and be on par with the high standards of working at a hospital regardless of department.
Pros
benefits, county job
Cons
short breaks, politics
hospital
Patient Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 8, 2015
A typical day was fast or slow it depends I learned a lot about patients care at this time. The hardest part of the job was nothing and enjoying the hospital itself and enviroment
I enjoy working with my co-workers and the management team.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 11, 2015
ECMC is a great place to work. I am currently working in CPEP, psychiatric emergency program as a register nurse. It is a rewarding job. I am involved in the decision making process of the care of our patients. Sometimes it can be challenging. However it is worth when you have helped someone who is in a crisis.
Pros
Job security
Awesome place to work
Register Nurse (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 6, 2015
First hospital job awesome management team worked with you so that you would be the best in your field lost of experience various pt population
Great experience if interested in trauma care
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 13, 2015
Started at ECMC since I graduated from nursing school and have learned so much. Unfortunately, working short staffed is always a problem. I enjoy my job, however, it would be more pleasant if the staff was not burned out due to working short.
Benefits
Cons
Short staffing
very busy
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 16, 2015
always short not enough staff not having the right items we need to do the work through out week management never has the same answer or solution when doing a job that is ask of them training a new staff worker can be challining cause everyone train different the hardest part is working behind some who half does the job the enjoyable part is being off the clock an home
Pros
discount eating in cafe
Cons
short breaks or none short staff
A Day At Ecmc
Caterer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 18, 2015
A typical day at ECMC usually starts around 345 pm during the week , and 645 am on the weekend. When I get there each day I have to go through the patients menus to make sure their diets are correct , and i also have to make sure everyone has a menu. What I have learned working at ECMC is, you have to have expert level of patience when dealing with patients and their families. We are there to please them and make sure they're happy. My managers are all very professional, understanding people. I do not believe there is anything hard about my job. As long as you pay attention and read your diet sheet correctly everything runs very smooth. The most enjoyable part of my job i would have to say is just seeing the patients happy, you never know being nice to them could make their whole entire stay at the hospital enjoyable. It also could help make them feel better letting them know that someone genuinely cares about them can change their entire outlook on the hospital as a whole.
Pros
A lot of down time