Erie Insurance Group

Erie Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Good company, with room for advancement hard to get hired.
Clerical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warrendale, PA 15086November 3, 2016
Erie is a good company overall with supportive coworkers. All most all of the company employee's started as temps. However the company currently has a hiring freeze on for temps and they don't offer their temps benefits or raises so becoming an employee is key. The company has a good divide of seasoned employees and the younger generation looking to become seasoned employees. Most employees stay with the company for their entire careers. The most enjoyable part of the job for myself are the coworkers and working with the public. The hardest part is never knowing if you will have a job as the company is going through changes and jobs are up in the air at the moment. Management is always supportive but they also maintain a level of quietness which can cause frustration amongst employees. But overall once you are in you are in for life as they are a very loyal company. I would recommend Erie to anyone looking for a career.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Hard to get hired
Family Oriented Industry Leader
Property Adjuster - WV Claims (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 25, 2017
Erie Insurance is a strong company with a family atmosphere, over 90 years of excellent service and growth. As an industry leader, they to stay very true to their roots and foster a feeling of prideful connection to the vision of the company founders. There is a reason they are consistently rated of one of the best company's to work for in America.
Pros
Hour Lunch, Close-knit atmosphere, instill a sense of pride, career longevity
Cons
limited opportunity for advancement in some areas, compensation not reflective of workload/expertise in lower levels
Poor management
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 2, 2016
The people i worked with were great management was petty and favortism everywhere u cant get a promotion if u have an opinion HR will stand by management no matter how wrong or illegal their behavior is
Could b a great company if they cleaned up the management
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Good company that supports its Employees
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 2, 2016
Erie Insurance supports a good work-life balance. Employees are respected. Erie promotes innovation and collaboration. There is a unique culture where everyone does their best to help our customers. The management opportunities are few and succession planning is poor.
Pros
Onsite amenities
Cons
Limited management opportunities
The life and times of a Material Damage Supervisor
Material Damage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Media, PAAugust 16, 2016
As a supervisor in the Material Damage Department, would have to audit uploaded appraisals, handle incoming difficult customer calls and offer positive solutions. Daily coaching and mentoring with assigned staff through 1:1 conversations, performance evaluations and feedback through claims activity. The job was rewarding as I had the opportunity to offer assistance to customers who needed guidance with their claim. I also tried to make an impact with my staff and give them positive recommendations where coaching opportunities were detected. Being in the claims department, it created some difficult incidences at times. Customers become emotionally involved with their claims and you can only empathize and sympathize with them and help them through the processes. At times, as as supervisor, you too feel the pain of the customer and you too become emotionally involved. I have learned to handle one issue at a time, give 100% to each matter and always address the customers needs. The customer must be able to trust you through the entire claim and feel that you have their best interest in mind. This can only be accomplished through active listening ,responding to their questions and offering positive feedback in the process.
Pros
Decent salary and bonuses, good benefits
Cons
small corporate raises, increase health care costs
Great internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAOctober 20, 2016
Erie Insurance provides a great internship program. There is plenty of options and flexibility as well as a potential apprenticeship after the internship is completed. The company culture is amazing and it has a very small town feel.
Nice corporate culture
Litigation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMay 29, 2016
Very nice management, nice corporate culture. Very nice benefits. My direct and above direct management was very nice and accommodating. Would recommend.
Pros
Tight knit community
Awesome Place to Work
Commercial Underwriting Intern (Former Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 2, 2016
Company culture is top notch and the employees genuinely care about you and your success. Each department is different, but the genuine consensus at Erie is that it is a great place to work.
Pros
Free Gym
Cons
Not many
Excellent Company to work for
Material Damage Adjuster II (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAOctober 31, 2016
Great company to work for, they reward their employees. Words of recognition mean a lot. Great job, a lot of hours may not be a job for someone with small children as it takes a lot of your time.
Pros
Benefits, Recognition
Cons
Travel
Great quality of life balance
Product Development (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 22, 2017
The Erie Total Rewards program is superb. The quality of life balance is great and the management cares about employees.
Productive work place with potential to advance in the company
Correspondence Clerk (Former Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 27, 2016
Helped in transcribing some of the agent notes.

Kept all the printers in the department loaded with paper and ink. Called maintenace or IT departments when needed to keep the machines in working order.

I learned to proof read at this job. That is a difficult task at first. I believe I improved over time.

The people were terrific.
Pros
Nice place to work. Good people. Potential for advancment
Cons
none that I can think of.
Great company to be part if you have a normal supervisor.
Commercial Processing Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Erie, PANovember 17, 2015
I worked here for 16 years, the last 5 years was a never ending cycle of lies, sabotage & retaliation from my supervisor. Upper management is a joke, I was never able to express the way I was being treated because I was immediately told I was the one in the wrong. Human Resources & Employee Relations automatically back up supervisors regardless of what I was being put through every single day. It was extremely shocking to me that a company of this stature allowed this happen to one of their employees & not honoring their own Code of Conduct. After dealing with this for so many years it really took a tole on me & I chose to quit. It is still upsetting that this supervisor got away with everything & I was the one that had to walk away to save the last bit of sanity I had left after years & years of bullying.
Pros
Met so many wonderful people
Cons
Bullying, poor raises
Fun place
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Media, PAAugust 29, 2016
Great company to work for out of college and long term. The people there are very friendly and hard working. Management is great and very helpful. Hardest part of the job is maintaining a good schedule at all times.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
bad hours
Good company
Senior claims supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 16, 2017
Very good company to work for. Well established and long tenturrd company. I have been at 2 different locations and very happy. Erie is a very person oriented atmosphere to work in
Excellent Company to work for.
Customer Service Relations and Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAOctober 11, 2016
Great company. The company makes a real effort to promote from within and is proactive in furthering employees education when it comes to insurance. There is a family type of atmosphere even though it is an organization of over 5,000 employees.
Challenging but enjoyable
Inside Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 20, 2016
Typical day tends to be very phone extensive. Handle a lot of calls and a lot of claims on a daily basis. As with any insurance type job there are times where you are speaking to individuals on their worst day so it can be tough at times.
Best job in the world
Owner/Agent (Former Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCSeptember 27, 2016
Different challenge every day, but was a unique opportunity to help someone every day! Glad I was placed in these positions to help my fellowman. I have always enjoyed working in a position where I constantly had someone across the desk that wanted my expertise in their given situation!
Pros
My own boss
Cons
Have none!
Erie Insurance a great place to work
Inside Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Erie, PANovember 14, 2016
Erie Insurance is pretty selective in their hiring. It's not just about filling a position, it's also about how you will mesh with their environment. Everyone cares about everyone else for the most part.
ok
Sr. PHP/Magento Developer (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 25, 2016
it was nice exp working there...learn new tools and methods of development also. and also enjoyed with diffrent culture ppl and made new friends also
good for erie
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 3, 2017
This job is great if you live in erie. You must fit in with their "in crowd." I worked there for almost a year under contract.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Erie Insurance Group. Our community is ready to answer.