ERIE INSURANCE Employee Reviews

Easy going place to work
Business Continuity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 8, 2016
Good job, good people to work with and for. The work was a bit mundane at times but we always had a good time. Management was probably the best I've ever had at any job. Work was usually in a cubicle setting.
It's an Ok place to work for
First Notice of Loss Rep I (Current Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 6, 2015
I work in the claims department. Nothing exciting about the job. Typical work week is part time hours and taking claims. Part timers aren't really included in much that goes on during normal business hours.
Pros
Higher wage than most
Cons
Benefits could be better for part timers/higher raises
Great support and supervisors
Mda auto adjuster (Current Employee) –  Murrysville, PANovember 25, 2015
I came to this company from another insurance company,and it was the best move ever. I am an adjuster and work remotely, you are responsible for your workload and it does get busy, but the work does not go unnoticed. Great benefits and company car.
Pros
Company car and retirement benefits
Cons
Great company to be part if you have a normal supervisor.
Commercial Processing Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Erie, PANovember 17, 2015
I worked here for 16 years, the last 5 years was a never ending cycle of lies, sabotage & retaliation from my supervisor. Upper management is a joke, I was never able to express the way I was being treated because I was immediately told I was the one in the wrong. Human Resources & Employee Relations automatically back up supervisors regardless of what I was being put through every single day. It was extremely shocking to me that a company of this stature allowed this happen to one of their employees & not honoring their own Code of Conduct. After dealing with this for so many years it really took a tole on me & I chose to quit. It is still upsetting that this supervisor got away with everything & I was the one that had to walk away to save the last bit of sanity I had left after years & years of bullying.
Pros
Met so many wonderful people
Cons
Bullying, poor raises
Excellent Employeer
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Erie, PANovember 16, 2015
Erie is a leader in the insurance industry and offers terrific benefits as well as opportunities to grow. I have been employed at The Erie for 20 plus years and consider every day as a way to follow my passion while contributing to the strategic vision of the company.
Pros
Great benefits
Erie
Clerical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Warrendale, PAOctober 5, 2015
I scanned medical bills, Injury, checks, and went through it all to see if any had to be put into a pile of investigation. Which putting it into that pile means we would have to call up the customers and see if their claim number matched the number on the bills.
Too much recent turn over
New York Branch Claims (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 30, 2015
The last two years since the new manager took over have seen a lot of employees leave . It seems like people are being forced to quit or retire. I am hoping to hang on until retirement but the workload is way too much. They won't replace people when they leave so we are doing the work of two or three people. Now they are sending a lot of our work to PA office. There are rumors of downsizing and centralizing our jobs.
Pros
I have a job at least for now
Cons
Low pay for NY, horrible health insurance, too much workload, bad management, they harass you to take classes but they don't do anything for you, too many managers play favorites
productive
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PaSeptember 22, 2015
Great people, nice company to work for. A little unorganized but they manage to get things done.If you are looking into insurance then this will be probably one of the best companies for you to join.
The establishment itself was very professional
Inside Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 31, 2015
A typical day at work was handling claims in insurance regarding vehicle accidents. I learned the ins and outs of handling claims in a timely manner. Management was very professional and understanding. My co-workers were positive and helpful in the work place. The hardest part just maintaining your work load, but the most enjoyable was all the perks that came along with the job itself.
This is Erie's pride & joy
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 21, 2015
I cannot speak for the rest of the company but this is an awful place to work in IT. The company uses ITIL standards and they are not implemented correctly. One of the biggest struggles in this place is trying to get your work completed without having to jump through a million hoops. Trying to find a competent resource is harder than finding a needle in a hay stack. In fact I'm pretty sure more than half the IT staff was promoted up from the mail dept.

If your close to retirement and sitting around all day is your thing, this is the job for you. If you actually want to learn about the career you have chosen, don't work here. If you think that management will help... Forget it. Management at Erie insurance is absent. I mean they have people with the word in their title, but that's as far as it goes. In fact they have IT Managers here that neither part of their job title describes them. Idiot is definitely a better description for many of these people.
Just because someone works in IT doesn't mean they know IT. Although most of the people here are dedicated and have participated in the drinking of the kool-aid. I find it very difficult listening to these clowns in meetings while keeping a straight face.

If your close to retirement and sitting around all day is your thing than this is the job for you. If you actually want to learn about the career you have chosen, don't work here. If you think that management will help... Forget it. Management at Erie insurance is absent. I mean they have people with the word in their title, but that's as far as it goes. In fact they have
  more... IT Managers here that neither part of their job title fits. Some of these people have trouble with just the basic understanding of a computer experience.

It's a good place if you need money but I couldn't imagine staying until retirement. They put a lot of effort into the company's reputation which is a huge let down when you start working for them.
Pros
The laughter because it's just like being in the movie Office Space
Cons
Management is awful and too many people in positions they should not be in
Friendly place of employement
EMT / Security (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 28, 2015
Erie Insurance is a company with family first values. The company makes sure that the employees are well taken care of. Erie Insurance is a great place to work.
Cumbersome and difficult systems to work with.
Senior IT Auditor III (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 7, 2015
Employees are generally friendly and helpful. However, the corporate culture does not have a strong sense of consequence and politics appear to be the major motivation.
Pros
good hours.
Cons
difficult to get any thing done.
I love working for Erie Insurance
CONTENT DEVELOPER (Current Employee) –  Erie, PennsylvaniaFebruary 23, 2015
I love working at Erie Insurance; it is the best job I have ever had. Unfortunately, I'm only working a temp job and it will be over in about two weeks. I do not want to leave but the agency is not currently hiring writers.
My job is to write the agent bios for the Erie Insurance website. I created a questionnaire and sent it out to over 1,300 agents to complete. Once they return the information to me I begin to write the bio. Some agents don't supply enough detail so I have to call them and conduct a phone interview.
Several agents do not reply to my request. I have sent a total of three reminders and I receive a handful of questionnaires back every time. Some agents are not too friendly, mainly because they don't understand the importance of what I am doing or they are not good with technology. I try to make it as simple as possible and I am very patient when helping them understand.
Most agents are very grateful for the work I do as well as my patience and professionalism.
Pros
i am putting my degree to good use.
Cons
it is just a temporary possition.
Great Insurance Company!
INTERNSHIP HISTORY (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 30, 2014
The company has great management. This insurance actually cares about it's customers.
Family atmosphere
Unix Lead Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 21, 2014
Nice to work with all the team. Good working environment. A lot things to learn and grow.
Best place to work in Erie PA
Business Intelligence Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 3, 2014
As a BA at the ERIE my main focus was working with the business units to triage production problems or eliciting requirements for data projects. I learned at ERIE that it's important to keep growing and give back to your community. My current work group is very talented we have great synergy and work well together as a team. The hardest part of the job is slowing down at times since business intelligence is a new and growing field some of our customers aren't ready for the new technology. The most enjoyable part of being a BA is collaborating with my team and customers to deliver quality reporting solutions.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no comp time
Managment Level position
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 17, 2014
Typical day at work is very fast paced
I have learned how to interact with people to get problems resolved and customers handled properly
My management has suffered in the last several years.The former manager was there 30 yrs and did not care about the future. Our new manager is inexperienced and lacks people skills
Hardest part of the job currently are all the changes taking place in the last year.
The best part of the job is interacting with my adjusters
Pros
company overall philosophy
Cons
office executive management
Stable decent place to work
Actuary/Underwriting Intern (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 29, 2014
Good job security, most who work there stay for years. It can be hard to move up because of this, and it also leads to having an older workforce. The work wasn't overbearing and management was too overbearing.
Productive workplace and understanding management
Deskside Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 25, 2014
My typical day at work was to come in and work on job tickets. Calling clients and setting up times with them to work on thier computer issues. Overnight computers that are in working condition so clients can get back to work with little down time. Fixing computer hardware and installing software per company standards. I learned a lot of new things working here as some of the computers and laptops I have never worked on before. Management and co-workers were always willing to help out on any new situation. The hardest part of my job there was keeping up with so many tickets we were so busy and under staffed it was hard keeping up with everything and properly documenting everything correctly.
Pros
working with technology and doing what i love to do
Cons
understaffed and to busy and management didn't understand
An excellent company to work for
Project Controls Administrator (Former Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 22, 2013
I highly recommend ERIE. I was heartbroken when I had to leave it to move for my husband's job.