Erie Neighborhood House Employee Reviews

Fun and Challenging
Receptionist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2015
Pros: fun and challenging
Cons: it was only a temporary position
A typical day would be, greeting parents as they would walk to drop off their children, greet potential parents, as well as visitors, and guide them to the proper people to who they needed to talk to. Answer phone calls in a professional-business like manner.
Good Enough
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), ChicagoJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Salary, good hours, you don't work late
Cons: Management
It seems like a really good center, but I always felt pressure to complete things like documentation that I had already completed. Not a good atmosphere, teachers are constantly reminded about budget cuts even though they have no real say in the infrastructure. They allow breaks but schedule meetings during breaks so you have to eat on the go. There are only substitutes in the summer time but either way using your paid time off is a hassle. You have to literally double and triple check with everyone to see if you can even take it. I ended up at the end of the year with a lot of extra vacation time that I did not get to use. They asked me on several occasions to come in on my scheduled vacation days and forced me to come in sick when there was plenty of staff available, without even a thank you .No one talks openly about their pay there which kept me from knowing if I was being compensated equally or less than others. There is no parking for teachers but other staff in the building use the client parking lot. The pay is alright but it is a non for profit organization so it's not what you would be earning somewhere else. They expect a lot for what you earn, I would say maybe even too much
Excellent place to work
Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2014
Erie House is a wonderful nonprofit agency. I interned at the organization for a year and never ceased to be amazed by the passion and productivity of the leadership, management and staff. They treat their workers with great respect, practice what they preach, and strive to make life better for those they serve.
Good job, but has its drawbacks.
Assistant Coordinator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: constantly changing immigration law field
Cons: unsecure funding
Challenging and interesting job, but very little job security. Each year you must travel to Springfield to advocate for the budget to keep the funding for your program and position. Also the culture of the organization is political and difficult to maneuver.
Good
Practicum Extern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2014
Flexible atmosphere allowing for independence. Good support as well. Primarily working with children and teachers.
Very calming great place to work at
Intake Specialist/Career Counselor/Receptionist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: free lunches, great benefits
Cons: commute
Greet clients, fax, Data entry, Administrative support, answer a multi line switchboard
Fun Environment to work with youth
Mentor/Administrator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2013
Great first job experience: all of the staff was very friendly and welcoming. There was always events going on, everyone was always in a good mood.
not what you might hope for
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2013
Pros: salary
Cons: long hours and no support
Erie at one time was a great place to work but with so many changes over the years it has become all about the money and not about the families it serves. The lack of support for teachers is sad to say the least if you want to work hard and not be acknowleadged for it then this is the place
A very productive job
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 27, 2013
I enjoyed working there it was a friendly atmosphere. Everyone worked as a team.
Supportive environment
School Age Site Director (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2012
Erie House provides a good work environment which is sensitive to the work life balance of all employees.
Nice Company, Nice people
IT Support Staff (INTERN) (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2012
a small, solid, and purposeful non-profit that really serves the community, they definitely make their mark. In an age where non-profit dollars get siphoned off the top for ridiculous over-head, Erie does 10 time more with 20 times less.
A very loud and energy filled job
Junior Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2012
Everyday was a test of my patients
this job requires a lot of energy
My coworkers were awsome
Fun and progressive
Volunteer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2012
Tutored adults and school aged children in areas they needed help. Management was friendly and directed you well. Marketed the company to the neighborhood through telephone calls. Environment is very easy going.