ESCO

ESCO United States Employee Reviews

Not what it used to be
manager (Former Employee), Portland, OR - Corporate officeJuly 30, 2014
Pros: products, people at some levels; free food left overs after exec meetings
Cons: executive management, working environment, unclear personal goals
Culture:
ESCO was a fantastic place to work 3 years ago. During the last 2 years; however, they have been going through a series of management changes (at an executive level) and have been admittedly working hard to change the culture. Some could argue that this is necessary to be more aggressive in a tough market, but it has nevertheless made it a much higher pressure environment to work in. It used to be an environment of support and employee enrichment, but has turned into a bit of a cut throat environment in which many have resorted making themselves look good at the cost of others.

People:
The people below management levels are fantastic to work with and have a great deal of knowledge. Moral has been low recently and there has been a significant exodus of some of the best people in the organization (last 6-9 months).

Management:
Management 3 years ago was fantastic. The executive team seemed to genuinely care for the employees and created a supportive, encouraging environment. Due to retirements, divisional changes and forced removal of some, a completely different executive group is currently at the helm. The new management is really trying to make the company behave like a public company, however, the previous focus of supporting the people has been replaced with a focus on financial growth alone.

During a layoff a number of months ago in which I had to let someone go, a fellow team leader asked me if I "put a bullet in them" I take situations like a layoff or RIF very seriously and was appalled at the comment. I mention this as I believe it is a good example of the – more... type of leadership they are pursuing. For the record, that manager is still there and I have left for many of the reasons listed in this review.

Expectations:
With the revolving door of management and strategic goals and initiatives, also comes changing expectations, goals, deliverables. This makes it very difficult to know what success looks like for anyone working there. There are also very few tools for measuring success. There is a lot of assessment of people going on at very high levels with very little if any touch time with person being assessed. It makes it really difficult to know if you are doing a good job or not ... will I be the next to be let go?

Pay:
Pay has not kept up with other companies; benefits are just OK. They used to have much better retirement benefits, but have discontinued everything except for 401K – less
ESCO Review
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Facilities-FoundryJune 23, 2014
My thoughts about working for the Esco Corporation is that I enjoyed coming to work every single day. I was proud to work for a family owned business that not only took care of the employees they also gave back to the community. I have nothing but good things to say about my time with the Esco Corporation.
great place to work
Roamer (Former Employee), Newton, MSApril 3, 2014
learned many new skills and responsibilities with this job.
No consideration for outside life
Salary employee (Former Employee), Portland, OregonNovember 17, 2013
Pros: fair pay but not great, good benefits package
Cons: demanding excessive hours, unrealistic goals which constantly change with new managers, lean has become excessive and no implementation of large items from project, only small changes get done
This company has no consideration for a person to have an outside life, work the 6-day salary job or lose your job. You do not gat paid for your skills, nor see any chance for advancement. In addition, the LEAN process has become a higher priority than getting your job done and important work is not done in order to work on a lean project and THEN the recommendations are not implemented. Lots of talk, no commitment to action. Constant management changes disrupt your work flow as new boss sets new priorities, and they expect immediate focus on their high priorities regardless of what work you were doing. Good people are being laid off or terminated, this is a bad place to work
Great people to work with
CATCHER, CUTTER (Former Employee), Randleman, NCOctober 13, 2013
Pros: made good friends
Cons: short breaks
The hours were great and the coworkers were very friendly and inviting.
Open mind enviroment
Tig and E-Beam Welder (Former Employee), Concord, CAApril 18, 2013
Pros: self starter
Cons: educated
Very interesting place to work, I've learned a lot in everyday of my life.
A great place to work
Inside Sales (Former Employee), casper, wyMarch 4, 2013
Pros: great benifits
I learned a lot working here and it was a very family oriented workplace. great people and friends
good but work gets slow some
Operator (Current Employee), Newton, MSSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: vaction time
Cons: hot dirty
pays ok good insurance its very un safe cause you are dealing with mealted meatal that is over 3,000 deg.
Good Learning Experience
General Labor (Former Employee), LocallyDecember 19, 2011
Pros: paid lunched
Cons: hours
Great Learning Experience and Fast pace job,its alot to do but theres travel involved,the coworkers are easy to get along with and its fun to work on somedays