ESCO Employee Reviews

Productive lax atmosphere
Field Service Technician/welder (Current Employee), Bismarck, NDAugust 10, 2015
Cons: Too many people requesting your assistance while working on a project.
Typical day starts with meeting, job orders and requirements, project appointments. Co-workers are excellent to work with very friendly.
able to work w/o supervision, challenging with new units
Electronic Technician (Former Employee), Denver, CO. 80236June 21, 2015
productive most days able to work through the day without supervision. self taught how to de-engineer printed circuit boards and draw up schematics. management good. able to interface with co-workers and share knowledge. tech support was dificult with some customers. best part of job was supervisor let me work knowing i can things done.
A very busy place to work
Assembler/ Machine Operator (Former Employee), Chittenango, NYMay 17, 2015
Pros: Great people, family oriented, excellent health care
Cons: the hours
If you like that fasted pace part about a job then this is the job for you. It is sad that the CEO had sold the company to another company to CPP out of California and i didn't stick around much long after that because they had put me on a different shift that i couldn't work but for the most part i enjoyed working there with my co - workers and managers. I would definitely go back if I knew that ESCO was going to buy back the company and i could work day shift again.
decent place to work
OVEN OPERATOR/WELDER/ Crane operator (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 16, 2015
Pros: benefits, full time work
Cons: management needs improvement, never felt appriciated.
Typical day at work was arcing and welding casting. I would also have to load the heat treat ovens with a remote operated crane. Management was great in some areas but needed improvement in others. The men I worked with were all great people and I had a good working relationship with all of them. The hardest part of my job would have been balancing the tasks of welding and operating the ovens, since the oven operation is a touchy task.
A place representing pride and work dedication
Welder (Former Employee), Windber, PAMarch 8, 2015
Pros: pay rate, along with benefits was great
Cons: management
A typical day at work consisted of a team shift meeting at the beginning of your shift followed by the hob assignment for the day to each worker and then you began working away. I learned that management was helpful to start and was beginning to treat you like family then they began harassing employees such as myself. the co works were like brothers to me.
Long-established company
Inside Sales (Former Employee), Portland, ORNovember 7, 2014
Pros: not many
ESCO is a company that's always had a reputation for taking care of it's employees and providing long-term security. After all, a company that's been around for 100+ years must have done something right.

I enjoyed many people I met while employed there and took away many valuable experiences that I can apply in the future.

That said, I am very happy to have walked away from ESCO and continue to hear more and more examples from former colleagues that affirm my decision.
good production company with good managment
Class A Molder/ Pourer (Current Employee), Portland, OROctober 6, 2014
Pros: good money and benefits
Cons: low production and work
Esco has been a good company to work for. They have treated me fairly and care for the safety of employees. The management and co-works work well together and the quality of work we do is at a all time high. I really like working for Esco corporation but the production has went down and there just is not much work anymore and that is why I would like to bring my many skills to another company.
Manufacturing Powerhouse
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Portland, ORAugust 20, 2014
Pros: best facility observed in my years of practice
ESCO Corporation is an excellent place for any Mechanical Engineer that can get their foot in the door. Product line is massive and cannot be comprehended by a single individual in its entirety.

They use the best software to design equipment. On site laboratories are equipped with advanced technical equipment and large scale test beds.

Staff is friendly and intelligent. You cannot succeed without cooperating as there are too many details to cover individually. CAD packages are bleeding edge. Thermal analysis and NAVDyn allow you to get the best digital predictions in a field that is ultimately incalculable.
Not what it used to be
manager (Former Employee), Portland, OR - Corporate officeJuly 30, 2014
Pros: products, people at some levels; free food left overs after exec meetings
Cons: executive management, working environment, unclear personal goals
Culture:
ESCO was a fantastic place to work 3 years ago. During the last 2 years; however, they have been going through a series of management changes (at an executive level) and have been admittedly working hard to change the culture. Some could argue that this is necessary to be more aggressive in a tough market, but it has nevertheless made it a much higher pressure environment to work in. It used to be an environment of support and employee enrichment, but has turned into a bit of a cut throat environment in which many have resorted making themselves look good at the cost of others.

People:
The people below management levels are fantastic to work with and have a great deal of knowledge. Moral has been low recently and there has been a significant exodus of some of the best people in the organization (last 6-9 months).

Management:
Management 3 years ago was fantastic. The executive team seemed to genuinely care for the employees and created a supportive, encouraging environment. Due to retirements, divisional changes and forced removal of some, a completely different executive group is currently at the helm. The new management is really trying to make the company behave like a public company, however, the previous focus of supporting the people has been replaced with a focus on financial growth alone.

During a layoff a number of months ago in which I had to let someone go, a fellow team leader asked me if I "put a bullet in them" I take situations like a layoff or RIF very seriously and was appalled at the comment. I mention this as I believe it is a good example of the – more... type of leadership they are pursuing. For the record, that manager is still there and I have left for many of the reasons listed in this review.

Expectations:
With the revolving door of management and strategic goals and initiatives, also comes changing expectations, goals, deliverables. This makes it very difficult to know what success looks like for anyone working there. There are also very few tools for measuring success. There is a lot of assessment of people going on at very high levels with very little if any touch time with person being assessed. It makes it really difficult to know if you are doing a good job or not ... will I be the next to be let go?

Pay:
Pay has not kept up with other companies; benefits are just OK. They used to have much better retirement benefits, but have discontinued everything except for 401K – less
ESCO Review
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Facilities-FoundryJune 23, 2014
My thoughts about working for the Esco Corporation is that I enjoyed coming to work every single day. I was proud to work for a family owned business that not only took care of the employees they also gave back to the community. I have nothing but good things to say about my time with the Esco Corporation.
great place to work
Roamer (Former Employee), Newton, MSApril 3, 2014
learned many new skills and responsibilities with this job.
Used to have so much love for the company, but as a dedicated worker that has faded.
Apparel Manager/Manager-In-Training (Current Employee), Oxon Hill, MDDecember 4, 2013
Pros: great employee discounts.
Cons: terrible management, dont bet on progressing, not enough pay
I enjoyed my time with this company however there were several things wrong with my experience from the start. I guess the managerial staff intended to hire someone for a cashier position that I initially applied for. Shortly after being hired maybe 3 or 4 months I picked up several aspects of the Job outside being a Cashier. I learned how to do that Administrative tasks well, learned the visual merchandising aspect, and also mastered the company's selling techniques. After being promoted and going to another store I was happy to know that my hard work was appreciated and was paying off. I learned the managerial aspects of the job in a more hands-on way at this new location. Was given more freedom and responsibility to grow and develop. I even helped to train a new Manager they brought in from another company. I taught her how to run the store properly because she was left alone on her very first day not even coming from another shoe company or anything. The company implied that I was ready to progress and they were ready for me to progress. They sent me back to my home store with implications that I was getting promoted again. Shortly after being back I was asked to train another associate on the Managerial tasks that I was so good at. The administrative work, telling the proper procedures for everything, and even store closing procedures. Shortly after that the trained associate was given the position that I felt that I deserved for reasons unclear to me. I felt as though the management at the store knew that I could do ALL of the tasks, which made everyone's job easier there – more... so they use me as a crutch and everyone in management is so comfortable with me being there that no one wants to see me progress and grow any further, I have also had MANY complaints and problems with management, but nothing ever seems to get fixed. There is no one to go to if an employee has a problem with management. There are workers there that have worked for the last 22 years and is still making below minimum wage. The pay given is not even enough to provide for yourself along with the amount of responsibility put on each associate. Management demands associates do tasks outside of their job description. the company has created a new umbrella stating everyone must be "cross-trained" that way you have to do any and every job for the same amount of pay. I LOVED this company, but seeing how indifferent they are of employee concerns, and seeing how greedy they can be when it comes to pay, I have to leave because I'm too dedicated and hardworking to keep coming to work happy and ending up stressed and depressed in a place that shows NO appreciation for their good workers. – less
No consideration for outside life
Salary employee (Former Employee), Portland, OregonNovember 17, 2013
Pros: fair pay but not great, good benefits package
Cons: demanding excessive hours, unrealistic goals which constantly change with new managers, lean has become excessive and no implementation of large items from project, only small changes get done
This company has no consideration for a person to have an outside life, work the 6-day salary job or lose your job. You do not gat paid for your skills, nor see any chance for advancement. In addition, the LEAN process has become a higher priority than getting your job done and important work is not done in order to work on a lean project and THEN the recommendations are not implemented. Lots of talk, no commitment to action. Constant management changes disrupt your work flow as new boss sets new priorities, and they expect immediate focus on their high priorities regardless of what work you were doing. Good people are being laid off or terminated, this is a bad place to work
Great people to work with
CATCHER, CUTTER (Former Employee), Randleman, NCOctober 13, 2013
Pros: made good friends
Cons: short breaks
The hours were great and the coworkers were very friendly and inviting.
Working for Esco
Global Price List Administrator (Current Employee), Portland, OregonJuly 30, 2013
Working for ESCO Corporation has been a wonderful experience. This is a 100 year old local company that takes care of its workers. People here are hard working, intelligent and friendly - managers and employees get along and work side-to-side. The greatest asset of this company is its people!
Old boys club that does not want your ideas
Worker (Current Employee), Portland, ORJuly 3, 2013
Pros: provided coffee/tea, met some nice people in the working ranks of the company
Cons: unorganized, terrible management, wastes money due to poor processes
This company is one of the most poorly run large corporations I've ever seen.
Excellent products and great people
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee), Portland, ORJune 28, 2013
Pros: great work environment, very positive
Cons: job security
I worked with distributors and end users in construction and mining.
Its a very safe company they really take care the employees
GRINDER (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 30, 2013
Pros: some times free pizza
Cons: healh care
I learned how to fit parts with jig ,the co-workers teach okey the hardest was teaks a lot of time to done-fit parts
Open mind enviroment
Tig and E-Beam Welder (Former Employee), Concord, CAApril 18, 2013
Pros: self starter
Cons: educated
Very interesting place to work, I've learned a lot in everyday of my life.
Open schedule
Lab Technician - Metallurgical Lab (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 15, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: not ample notice for deadlines as they pertained to the size of the order at any particular time.
I worked in the metallurgical lab. I did a varied list of things and though I could work my own hours, sometimes the needs of the job and the short notice of deadlines would make it difficult to balance school, family, and work.
Headquarters