ESOL Employee Reviews

Charleston County School District
ESOL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 25, 2017
CCSD is highly disorganized and does not treat its teachers and staff well at all. Pay is minimal and difficult to survive on. Many teachers need to take on a second job even after 10+ years in the profession just to make ends meet. Student disrespect is extreme high, and nothing is done to correct it. I would recommend staying FAR away from this district if considering a teaching job.
Pros
Lots of paid time off & holidays
Cons
Disrespect, extremely low pay, bad benefits that are expensive, no room for advancement, EXTREMELY poor management
Travail très respecteux avec une bonne environnement
Moniteur (Former Employee) –  Bronx County, NYSeptember 24, 2017
Mon superviseur à BronxWorks était vraiment un homme honorable. Il est passionné de son travail et les étudiants. J'ai aimé bien travailler avec lui et tous les étudiants; c'était vraiment une opportunité très incroyable.
Teaching English
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 23, 2017
As a career for contractors, it can be a very rewarding job. Working as an independent contractor has its ups and downs, but it is probably one of the most flexible ways to get into the field. Also, many transferable skills can be attained in this field. In some cases, students are almost like clients, who have their own individualized requirements that must be fulfilled in order for them to feel like they are benefiting from the service of teaching.
meeting new people and learning their culture and traditions
Director (Former Employee) –  First Baptist Church, panama CityAugust 11, 2017
A typical day involved organizing activities that would benefit internationals in their communication skills. The hardest part of the job is understanding the international's most important needs. The most enjoyable part of the job is when they have learned to communicate those needs with satisfying results.
Fun
Marketing Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 4, 2017
Very good CEO. We had lots of community events and though I did not make much money it was designed so that the women that attended our program were able to afford classes and we provided daily daycare for their children.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
no pay
Can be rewarding but very challenging
Teacher, Adult (Former Employee) –  Yorktown NYJuly 17, 2017
You drive to the location. You lug your teaching materials and class treats to location and set up. You have constant disruptions as you teach. Paperwork is a nightmare. Nothing is computerized. No to little supports.
Pros
you design your own curriculum
Cons
no supports
A journey to become a holistic teacher.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  MarylandApril 20, 2017
Working with a diverse population of students with diverse academic needs is great! The experience makes you more compassionate, holistic, and culturally sensitive.
Pros
differentiated instruction
Cons
time constrained to provide instruction
Great adult education school
INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 11, 2017
This is a centrally located school and beautiful looking. The management and staff are great. Compensation and benefits depend on your status (full-time or part-time). Students are good too.
A great place to work as far as friendly staff.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dade City, FLJanuary 13, 2017
Very interesting work dealing with hospital staff and patients in the hospital. Very rewarding for myself. My responsibilities in radiology was to transport patients from their hospital rooms to the radiology department and then back to their rooms. I had a good chance to talk to the patients as to how they were feeling and show compassion regarding the medical condition.
Pros
Working with patients on a one to one basis.
Cons
Sometimes physically demanding.
Nice staff who help you during tough days
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAApril 7, 2016
Love working with students and staff as translator. Have gained much experience in interpersonal skills. Though I love to help our students and encourage them to press on, I feel as though I am not working to my full potential.
Pros
Satisfaction of helping students
Cons
Very challenging. Not much appreciation.
A Very Rewarding Job
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Inwood Community ServicesNovember 1, 2015
The students bring such warmth and gratitude to the classroom. This is typical of teaching ESOL for a grant funded program where classes are free for students. Management and co-workers are caring and fun.
Pros
Great vacation breaks
Cons
No healthcare
K-12 certified ESOL Teacher
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 5, 2015
It is great place to work. I learned alot and enjoyed working as an ESOL Teacher. co-workers are hardworking and works well collaboratively.
Great working environment
ESOL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Adult Continuing Education Dept., Chesterfield, VAJanuary 18, 2015
The management is very helpful and the students are a joy to teach. My co-workers are friendly and cooperative. There is nothing more in the world that gives me satisfaction and pleasure in teaching people whether young or old. It is my passion and I love having a positive effect on my students. I have enriched myself with knowledge of other students' cultures and that is a precious asset I have added to my experience.
It was training centre that used to provide ESOL /Numeracy classes
Administrator (f/t) (Former Employee) –  Faith Region FoundationJanuary 7, 2015
I worked with this organisation more than one year. I used to teach ESOL. Learners were from different backgrounds and culture. Learners came to learn English to improve their communication skills to gain jobs. some time I have to use my bilingual skills when it is absolutely necessary.It is nice to teach people from different backgrounds.Through teaching you gain respect and learn various things from them.
One Step at a Time
Mentor (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDOctober 24, 2014
Working for ESOL teaches patience and an appreciation of progress. The beautiful thing about being an ESOL worker is knowing that the students will use everything that you teach them in their future endeavors. The hardest part of the job is teaching someone who has given up on themselves. The most enjoyable part is seeing that same person find hope through your encouragement and making progress.
Teaching ESOL
Teacher (Former Employee) –  RomaniaMarch 19, 2014
I was a ESOL teacher, Loved the job but had to relocate and my job situation took a different turn.
Great Experience
Student Teaching (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 6, 2014
While doing my practicum it was a wonderful experience to go work and learn in the ESOL classrooms.
This rating is just for my advisor.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IANovember 14, 2013
My first adviser at the University of Iowa was terrible! Not only was she incompetent, she was very hostile and condescending toward students. In addition, I taught a class that she was paid to teach. At evaluation time she had an informal evaluation, and she told the students that any negative comments were to be written on these evaluations. One student noticed my name was on the back of the evaluation. She also said that any positive comments would go on the official evaluation. One student said that I had taught the class, while she sat back and criticized me. The student went on to say that I was a much better teacher than my adviser. I kept begging to get another adviser, but I was told that the university wanted us to succeed together (we are both Latinos). There was a point when she returned a draft of my dissertation to me with the suggestion to "fix it." When I asked her to be more specific, she wouldn't give me any ideas. I submitted it a week later without any changes, and she said I did a "much better job." When my prospectus meeting bombed, I was given the adviser I wanted all along. If I had been stuck with my first adviser, I would not have finished. I know that this paradigm of incompetency and condescension is "teaching" at a university in the Southwest.
Pros
None.
Cons
I had to work with the most incompetent person I know.
Teacher - Self-Employed
Private Tutor - K-6 (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 22, 2013
Taught Spanish, English as a second language (ESOL), Language Arts, Mathematics, Creative Writing, Reading

I learned how to be most creative in preparing lessons. I did not have co-workers. The hardest part of the job was traveling a distance to the student that was more than I wanted. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I did exactly what I loved to do and managed my own work hours.
Pros
Was my own supervisor
Cons
Not always a steady flow of students
Good learning experience. Excellent supervisors but very bad payand benefits.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Apopka, FLSeptember 12, 2013
Good learning experience.Excellent supervisors but very bad pay and benefits.