ESOL Employee Reviews

K-12 certified ESOL Teacher
Teacher (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 5, 2015
It is great place to work. I learned alot and enjoyed working as an ESOL Teacher. co-workers are hardworking and works well collaboratively.
Great working environment
ESOL Instructor (Current Employee), Adult Continuing Education Dept., Chesterfield, VAJanuary 18, 2015
The management is very helpful and the students are a joy to teach. My co-workers are friendly and cooperative. There is nothing more in the world that gives me satisfaction and pleasure in teaching people whether young or old. It is my passion and I love having a positive effect on my students. I have enriched myself with knowledge of other students' cultures and that is a precious asset I have added to my experience.
It was training centre that used to provide ESOL /Numeracy classes
Administrator (f/t) (Former Employee), Faith Region FoundationJanuary 7, 2015
I worked with this organisation more than one year. I used to teach ESOL. Learners were from different backgrounds and culture. Learners came to learn English to improve their communication skills to gain jobs. some time I have to use my bilingual skills when it is absolutely necessary.It is nice to teach people from different backgrounds.Through teaching you gain respect and learn various things from them.
One Step at a Time
Mentor (Former Employee), College Park, MDOctober 24, 2014
Working for ESOL teaches patience and an appreciation of progress. The beautiful thing about being an ESOL worker is knowing that the students will use everything that you teach them in their future endeavors. The hardest part of the job is teaching someone who has given up on themselves. The most enjoyable part is seeing that same person find hope through your encouragement and making progress.
Teaching ESOL
Teacher (Former Employee), RomaniaMarch 19, 2014
I was a ESOL teacher, Loved the job but had to relocate and my job situation took a different turn.
Great Experience
Student Teaching (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 6, 2014
While doing my practicum it was a wonderful experience to go work and learn in the ESOL classrooms.
This rating is just for my advisor.
Teacher (Former Employee), Iowa City, IANovember 14, 2013
Pros: none.
Cons: i had to work with the most incompetent person i know.
My first adviser at the University of Iowa was terrible! Not only was she incompetent, she was very hostile and condescending toward students. In addition, I taught a class that she was paid to teach. At evaluation time she had an informal evaluation, and she told the students that any negative comments were to be written on these evaluations. One student noticed my name was on the back of the evaluation. She also said that any positive comments would go on the official evaluation. One student said that I had taught the class, while she sat back and criticized me. The student went on to say that I was a much better teacher than my adviser. I kept begging to get another adviser, but I was told that the university wanted us to succeed together (we are both Latinos). There was a point when she returned a draft of my dissertation to me with the suggestion to "fix it." When I asked her to be more specific, she wouldn't give me any ideas. I submitted it a week later without any changes, and she said I did a "much better job." When my prospectus meeting bombed, I was given the adviser I wanted all along. If I had been stuck with my first adviser, I would not have finished. I know that this paradigm of incompetency and condescension is "teaching" at a university in the Southwest.
Teacher - Self-Employed
Private Tutor - K-6 (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 22, 2013
Pros: was my own supervisor
Cons: not always a steady flow of students
Taught Spanish, English as a second language (ESOL), Language Arts, Mathematics, Creative Writing, Reading

I learned how to be most creative in preparing lessons. I did not have co-workers. The hardest part of the job was traveling a distance to the student that was more than I wanted. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I did exactly what I loved to do and managed my own work hours.
Good learning experience. Excellent supervisors but very bad payand benefits.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Apopka, FLSeptember 12, 2013
Good learning experience.Excellent supervisors but very bad pay and benefits.
Extremely high pace
Applied Linguistics Endorsement Teacher Instructor (Former Employee), Vero Beach, FLJuly 25, 2013
Teaching English as a Second Language requires patience, research and a lot of practice to prepare students of other languages into the school setting or outside world.
A challenging and exciting environment.
Department Chair (Current Employee), Hialeah, FLJuly 18, 2013
Pros: friendly work environment.
Cons: driving distance
A typical day at work would begin between 6 and 6:30 a.m. and included making sure that all ESOL classes were covered by either the assigned teachers or appropriate substitutes. Later I would administer CELLA and programmatic assessments to all new ELL registrations, while answering teachers' and administrators questions and concerns regarding ELLs, counseling parents and problem students, etc.
Additionally I taught an English2-through ESOL class.
After the school day ended at 2:20 p.m., I would remain at my desk for approximately two to three hours, or later, until all additional paperwork was completed.
Although I brought many years of experience to the job, I learned how to set priorities so I could juggle very diverse duties.
The administration is very supportive and always courteous and respectful of teachers, parents and students.
My coworkers are highly qualified teachers who are always ready to lend a helping hand, and the support staff is extremely helpful .
The hardest part of the job was having to comply with increasingly complex district and state mandates that continually multiply the amount of required paperwork. Also, preparing for multiple ESOL audits has been challenging. I am proud to report that there have been no audit exceptions since I took over the ESOL Department.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of watching students' progress, and helping parents cope with the demands of life in a new culture.
Bad Management
Recruiter (Former Employee), Irvine, CAApril 19, 2013
They do not know how to run a company. They provide you with no guidance or help. They do not have an HR department and are violating numerous labor laws. They say they are recruiting qualified candidates but they are very discriminatory. I would stay away from this company.
I love the student I teach but there is no room for advancement in my position at my current employment.
Teacher (Current Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 22, 2013
Pros: my students and co-workers.
Cons: my salary and job advancement.
I currently teach refugees from a variety of countries therefore I don't have a typical day. I have to balance the needs of my students and the rate at which they learn everyday and because their attendance changes daily my workday is always different. This ebb and flow keeps me interested and on my toes which is one of the reasons I joined this team. My co-workers are supportive and they are also one of the best parts of my current employment. I must say my students and their achievements has to be the all time favorite part of my job. I get to see my students evolve from a person not knowing any English into a vital member of our community, working, driving, reading and speaking English brings me pure joy. They are truly the reason I enjoy this job. There willingness to learn and have a better life in America is inspiring. I am very proud to be their teacher. My supervisor is also such a great support system and he is the reason I am currently looking for another position. He had the courtesy to let me know that there was no room for advancement in our program and he thinks I could be more successful in another position. He didn't want me to limit myself and for that I thank him. His honesty has sparked a drive in me to learn and evolve like my students which is why I am currently look for employment in my field of study, Interior Design.
Teacher (Current Employee), Ruskin, FLJanuary 20, 2013
Thanks to the administrator, this is a fun, caring, and friendly environment. Students and teachers feel welcome here.