Esperanza Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 28, 2015
Typical day was doing a lot of data entry and phone calls. I learned a lot of computer skills and time management.Management was productive and constant communication with staff. Co-workers were very helpful; workplace felt like a family almost. Hardest part of the job was sometimes the amount of overtime that was required. Most enjoyable part of the job was the positive work environment.
Pros
A great staff and communication
Cons
Had a summer job position so low hours
looking for advancement
Counselor/ Advocate Mentor (Current Employee) –  Alhambra, CAOctober 21, 2015
Very friendly co workers.
Pay is not that great even thought you have a B.A
I really like the case management very helpful.
Most of the job is on the field 90% and about 10% on the office.
Productive Director of Operations
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 29, 2015
A typical day at work at Esperanza is monitoring program progress by doing site visits, reviewing data and meeting with Program Coordinators. I also met with various stakeholders to build partnerships that helped to advance the mission and scale programs.

I have learned a lot about collaboration and partnerships. Communication is a necessary ability to express and maintain in order to work.
Great Experience
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 27, 2013
* I really enjoyed my position as an instructor
* I learned to listen and understand each and one of our clients, instruct them and also help them how to obtain their goals.
* Management was good and always improving new techniques with our clients and also employees.
* I believe when you like a job is never hard, you always make it work.
* I enjoy each and every thing of what I used to do in my job.
Pros
days and hours of work, benefits
Cons
not enough funds to continue the programs
Job Helping People with No Opportunity for Growth or Advancement
Personnel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 21, 2015
Only work here if you want to help people on welfare get jobs and help them succeed in life. The only thing that will keep you going is "helping people." Otherwise you will not grow professionally at all here.

Esperanza's EARN Center is managed by a team of people who have worked together at the same jobs - welfare to work programs - for 20+ years who don't care about employee growth and development. There's no respect for management because they don't work to develop direct reports at all.

Processes are unorganized, training is lacking. As a Job Developer you're expected to go on a couple trips with lead Job Developer to employers to build relationships with them and learn how to market the program to them and then you go out and do this everyday. The expectation is to go out almost everyday to new employers, make appointments, cold call and do whatever it takes to get job placements regardless of the quality of the job placements.

Management thinks they're the best because the Esperanza EARN Center gets more job placements than others but it's the best of the worst, that is, welfare to work programs are ineffective in getting to the root problem that people on welfare have and it doesn't break the cycle long-term.

Coworkers are great for the most part with some being political and some being downright incompetent. Some are on their phones all day and don't do anything. Management watches movies on iPad, takes personal calls all day, and pretends to work.

Stay away unless you have an urge to help people on welfare specifically. There are other companies doing
  more... a better job with other populations in Philadelphia.  less
Pros
Helping people get jobs and trying to empower them, chill coworkers
Cons
No growth or development, terrible management
work study program
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 18, 2012
A typical day we did chart, data, answering calls returning calls, running errands. I learned how to do data base and also bettered my skills in excel. Management was very good they were great to work with and knew how to keep me busy. Co workers were like family everyone helped each other love the work environment. I can honestly say there was no hard part of job. I enjoyed every moment of working there.
Pros
learned new things and bettered my skills and spanish
Cons
no cons
Low-key, personal, rewarding in students' homes
Part-time Tutor for Court-Involved Youth (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2014
This was a fairly flexible job working with students either at the center or in their homes. The hardest part of the job was trying to build relationships with students who may not be interested in school. Much of my work was getting to know students and allowing them to work at their own pace, but the tricky part was trying to coordinate with their school teachers. It was still rewarding to get to know students in the context of their homes and families.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
sometimes the commute was tough(i worked in all boroughs of ny)
Stepping Stone
Real Estate Manager (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 2, 2012
Marketing and analyzing vital information about government zoning rules and regulations, future property values, taxes, and traffic volume around the property.
Help negotiate property sales contracts, scheduling its maintenance, managing building maintenance projects, compile all data for financial reports by regularly maintaining and updating all records and files.
Resolving all client conflicts and complaints.
Helps clients with all financial and operational aspects of their property collecting rent, paying property taxes and looking after the maintenance.
Advertise for lease or rent on the property, selects tenants, make rental or lease agreements, collect deposits and rent, solve tenant issues, and oversee eviction in case of violation of rent and lease agreement.
Update the owners about the physical condition of the property, any renovations and maintenance required and all financial arrangements.
Plan all maintenance and repair works with vendors, and ensures that the property at all given time is being taken care of.
good job
Student Advocate (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 2, 2015
Esperanza was a good place to work for at the time and it is unfortunate they are now longer in business. My time there was pleasant while it lasted.
Great volunteer experience and a very beneficial program.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 15, 2013
This was just an unpaid volunteer program once each week for about two hours helping second to fifth graders learn who are a grade level or two behind where they should be, and then also be active outdoors with them to teach them about working and playing together as well as playing a positive role model in their lives.
Pros
extremely rewarding to see them learn new things and be happy.
Cons
not enough volunteers.
esperanza
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 16, 2013
esperanza is a great company to work for. I would open and close the classroom. write daily lesson plans attend staff meetings. i worked with great women in this preschool. the hardest part was how physical it was. the most rewarding was building relationships with the parents and the children
Pros
paid vacation
Cons
no health
Always a very positive environment
Clerical and Database Support Volunteer Internship (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 11, 2012
fast passed, attention to detail, everyone worked as a team, very good comunication between the departments, common goals.
Cons
not enough funing for my to come on board as a full time paid emplyee