ESPN Employee Reviews

Bad Experience with a Great Company
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 22, 2017
Assigned to assist a Senior Analyst on proprietary AV software. Typically the team would meet for daily KanBan and weekly Sprint meetings. Release schedule was once a week unless special projects demanded something more. I was able to learn many of their proprietary AV product line as well as industry standard tools such as JIRA and get a refresher on Quality Center ALM. Weekly status reports and payroll submittals. The culture was business casual dress, rigid meeting schedules, and occasional group lunches. Communications via chat if remote, and face to face informal meetings (was not assigned a phone), work hours are standard. Would show early or stay late as needed. Which was not often. So the work life balance I believe is perfect for the 9 - 5er. The toughest part of the job was getting up to speed on all of the applications (20+ give or take) in such a short time. The staff I worked with were generally good natured, enjoyable to be around. The bad situation came with the Analyst I was assigned to help. So I can't necessarily issue a blanket statement on management. Our manager was pretty much hands off. I had only 3 - 4 conversations with him during the contract period. The analyst I can only define as cruel. Criticized me on everything even what I had for lunch. Every conversation began with a long exasperated sigh....very negative.
Pros
Beautiful Campus
Productive Workplace, Very Competitive
Camera man, Associate producer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 22, 2017
This was the best job I had. The job was very technical and time consuming. I learned more about media broadcast and sports broadcasting in general. The job allowed me to be around like minded people and people with similar interest.
Pros
free lunches, great people, great experience
Cons
Great company, great culture.
VP/Creative Director, Product and Content (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 16, 2017
Constantly shifting landscape, fascinating multifaceted media company with exposure to all aspects of sports, including broadcast, fantasy, digital products, print, podcasting, video, data and more.
Interesting perspective of sports.
Cameraman (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 10, 2017
A typical day working with ESPN typically means holding a camera for the length of a football or basketball game. I worked with a team that would all have to coordinate with each other to get the correct shots.
Pros
Solid Work
Cons
Standing holding a camera for hours, only work during season.
Good but there is room for improvement
Statistics Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 3, 2017
There is a culture in ESPN of awarding people who do not take responsibility for their failures and place it on other people. Hard work and commitment is valued but sometimes it gets lost in the way. Part-time employee's are given very difficult tasks, the same as full-time employees and are given a harsher learning curve. Many times they will have part-time employees help train newly hired full-time employees which is almost an insult to the part-time employees. There is little to no growth in the stats and analysis part of ESPN, only a handful of part-timers have been hired full-time in the past 5 years.
Cons
basically no breaks for part timers.
Political
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  USAMay 31, 2017
If you are in a clique, you do fine. If you speak your mind and have a personality you are frowned upon. I enjoy the people I work with but management makes it difficult to advance.
Smooth
Production Assistant/Runner (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 31, 2017
Show up early. Get instruction. Set up. Chill environment. Great perks. Great food for the crew. Meet cool people.
Hardest part of the job can be the long hours.
Everything else is enjoyable.
productive and fun with tv companies
Skilled Utility (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMay 26, 2017
it's very easy going. you come in, you set up, and you wait on the show, afterwards you break down. the job is fun. the people are very laid back. ideal job
Exciting place to be
VIDEO EDITOR (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTMay 23, 2017
This was the most exciting place I have ever worked! The employees really cared for each other. The management made sure there was adequate work/life balance. They went out of their way to make sure everyone felt included.
Pros
seeing your favorite sports hero.
Cons
Heavy work load
Fun and educational
Assistant Producer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 18, 2017
I look forward to work everyday. I fully expect to continue climbing the ladder. This is a dream job and it comes extremely natural to me. I feel as if the sky is the limit with this opportunity.
The best corporate environment you could ask for
Manager, Fan & Media Intelligence (Current Employee) –  New York CityMay 17, 2017
No matter what your role at ESPN, you will always be exposed to top level innovation and leadership. I have learned a great deal both formally and informally. The best part is that management is ALWAYS supportive of new ideas, and any initiative employees take to learn more or participate in projects that they are not directly assigned to. It's a fun and relaxed culture comprised of extremely motivated, intelligent and highly performing individuals. I've really lucked out with being a part of this organization.
A good place to work; smart, interesting people.
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTMay 12, 2017
I had an overall good experience at ESPN.

I worked alongside some very smart individuals.

Working in sports television is a wonderful experience and I would recommend it to anyone.
Great employees
Associate Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2017
It's a great place to work but hard to advance and the workload can be a lot. There is not a lot of grooming for leaders and the company overall is too top heavy creating far too many layers for approvals.
fun workplace,
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTMay 8, 2017
great place to work. Hours can be a bit rough but well worth it. Can be hard to advance depending on the department. Highlights department is fun, great bosses.
It's ESPN, so it's a cool place to work
Associate Editor & Writer - ESPN.com (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTMay 3, 2017
Getting my start at ESPN was great, but employees are certainly treated as a number and considered disposable at any point. Very big place to work. Very competitive and toxic culture.
Pros
Great place to put on your resume
Cons
Very large work force, very expendable
My ESPN Experience
Content Associate (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTMay 1, 2017
On a typical day I work on ESPN FC and put together highlights and montages for the show. Also, I'll assign logging shifts for Production Assistants in the department as well as working in the media room for specific games from soccer leagues around Europe.
Overall decent place to work at
Studio Operations - Studio Operator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTMay 1, 2017
Great TV production experience. However, its scary that they lay people off too often. The majority of the people who work here are really cool, down-to-earth people
Fun work place
Sports Reporter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 28, 2017
Great work environment with multiple ways to showcase abilities. Editors were excellent to work with. Job was flexible and allowed for personal and family time.
Pros
Flexibility, diverse
Cons
Diminishing industry
Productive and fun place to work
Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTApril 26, 2017
Learned a lot in a very short time. Very fast paced environment which was exactly what I was looking for, People are very nice, environment although fast paced, is relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
Just about everything
Cons
Doesn't hire FTE's, Talented people come as contractors and learn the business then leave with their business knowledge.
Was ok
Media Operator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTApril 24, 2017
Typical day was ok. Very little time to have a life outside of work however. Hours were bad and the coworkers were very stuck up. Hard to get help around management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ESPN. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2