Esri Employee Reviews

Laid back workplace
PRODUCT MANAGER / SENIOR CARTOGRAPHER (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 27, 2017
Great company to work if you are interested in making money, but don't care much about moving up in the organization.
No discernible way that decisions are made, so you can't have an impact on what you are going to do next.
Extremely inefficient internal communication between functional groups, no career growth-paths, but you can learn on your own a lot.
Pros
flexible work hours, benefits
Cons
boring and repetitive work
Benefits good, poor management
Contracts (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 20, 2017
Esri is a small company that is suffering from growing pains. It wants to be large, but does not have sufficient infrastructure to move to the next level. Technology and market leadership are important, but they do not invest in their people or promotion opportunities. Plan to stay in the SAME role even if you are ready for more challenges.
Pros
free coffee, flexible schedule, some working from home
Cons
No advancement, Good old boy mentality, nepotism
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 7, 2017
I've learned to build on my communication and collaboration skills in a world class company. A typical day in my position is high volume of customer requests via phone, chat and email for many departments in the company, including but not limited to corporate reception, customer service, and technical support services. Esri Reception receives tens of thousands of calls per month and has been recognized for ensuring customer satisfaction, speed and accuracy in the routing of technical support calls.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
highly competitive cororate culture
Friendly and productive environment, encourages learning new things.
Software Products Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 7, 2017
Got to learn a lot about Coded UI and MVVM automated tests, and about different standards or procedures followed during a SDLC.
A typical day at work would start off with a scrum meeting where each member discusses what his/her plan of action for the day is or if they are having any roadblocks other teammates would suggest possible solutions.
It is a great place to work at. Everyone is passionate about their work and is always ready to help. The overall environment is one that nurtures learning.
Excellent Company, fun work environment, great opportunity to make a difference
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAFebruary 2, 2017
I interned at Esri and one thing I can say for certain, you will fall in love with the work they do and how they do it. I got the chance to work on my own ideas during my internships and mentor/managers will go a step further to help/teach you.
Cons
I can't think of any cons
Overall great place
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 12, 2017
The best place for a geographer to work! Sometimes a little workload heavy, but that is to be expected with any company. Everyone loves coming to work. They treat employees wonderfully.
Productive, yet laid-back workplace
Enterprise Integrations Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CANovember 30, 2016
Esri is a tight-knit company, known the world over for its geographic information system (GIS) development and applications. The CEO is very active at Esri's Redlands HQ, and is very involved with the staff.

The atmosphere is "professional casual", at least in the information technology building where I worked. Break and lunch times were fairly lax, and a typical day would usually involve mixing meetings, busywork alone, and breaks. Despite the laid-back atmosphere, tasks and projects are still generally completed on time and according to specifications.

Management was particularly excellent at Esri. Since it's a relatively small company, managers know each other very well even between departments on different sides of the campus. Generally, everyone will make time to accommodate you if there are any questions you need answered. Management in my group was excellent, and made very good progress on scheduling between team members and allocating enough workforce to complete projects.

However, there is still overtime expected of staff here, which I believe is a fair trade for the relaxed atmosphere this workplace gives. If you are looking just to reduce your work hours, this company may not be for you.

Redlands is only accessible using the I-10 freeway, which means that it shares a lot of commute space with people going to and from Los Angeles. Because of this, the commute tends to be pretty bad.
Pros
Cafe on campus, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Bad commute
Awesome
BI Solutions Architect, Consultant (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJune 7, 2016
Great company, I've enjoyed my time here. My co-workers are very professional and make working here a pleasure. I would highly recommend this organization.
Aministrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant - Contracts (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAApril 30, 2016
Assisted Contract managers with their work.
Created files and kept them updated.

Not very challenging, I like to grow in a position.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Not enough work
Good work-life balance
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAApril 28, 2016
Good work-life balance, Loyal employees, management been around for ever. Small town luxuries, away from the big city traffic.
Highly productive campus like environment that encourages innovation
Business Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAAugust 25, 2015
Everyday is like a new day with different challenges and reason to live the day to its fullest.
A place with a pool of supportive associates, mentors ever willing to help and encouraging you for success in your projects and assignments.
Pros
Good training
Great place to work. Tons of very intelligent and helpful colleagues.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COJuly 14, 2015
A typical day at work is either me teaching a class, researching new technology, or ramping on a new course to teach in the future.
Pros
Free healthcare
Cons
Unable to work from home
Great company and work experience but poor work environment
SR. ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  RedlandsJuly 8, 2015
I worked for Esri a little over 8 years and loved the work that I performed which covered a broad range of job duties and special projects so I was never bored. There were multiple learning opportunities with the companies continued grow in the international market. The hours were always long and stressful; there was no such thing as a 40 hour work week as our department was always short staffed. Depending on the department and/or the supervisor you work for, there may be flexible schedules which helps ease burnout in the short term. Unfortunately there are no common rules for how each department is ran throughout the company which makes it feel like each department is its own unit and not a part of a team. The inconsistences in management style, lack of follow up (communication), teamwork, equipment and software needs being met and limited technical support leads to moral issues and a stressful work environment overall. Management is given to individuals based upon who you are friends with rather than skills. Many of the managers have not been trained and it shows. Its not uncommon to have employee's seek assistance with work related issues including hostile work environment, stress and ergonomics issues. Instead of receiving assistance you are either ignored or find yourself under scrutiny by the Human Resource Department as if you did something wrong. HR does not protect you from retaliation when you do seek help so most people end up leaving the company rather than continue working under such conditions which is too bad because the company and the work itself  more... really are great.  less
Pros
Great work experience and learning opportunities
Cons
Hostile work enviornment
Amazing 20 years of my life!
Support Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMay 18, 2015
Very busy with phones, emails, and chats. Interactions with customers was about 100 per day.

Learned several new CRM's.

Management was decent.

Co-workers were the best of the best

Hardest part of my job was dealing with upset customers which was on a daily basis.

Best part of my job was feeling like I was part of a family.
IT company in a small town
Release Manager (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAApril 20, 2015
This is the only IT company Redlands which is a quite town. There is no competition and the only other large employer is Loma Linda Hospital.
Pros
Ability to learn new technologies to accomplish work.
Cons
Flat management structure and little advancement.
World leader in GIS
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 12, 2015
I have loved working for Esri. There is great room for professional and person growth here. The work is fun and challenging.
Pros
Great environment to work and learn in.
Cons
Lack of flexibility in work locations.
Nice place to work, not sold on the compensation
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAJanuary 15, 2015
It would not be fair of me to provide a review of this business because each department is run independently and there are many pros and cons to each. Overall, its a great place to work. They have a tendency to pay on the lower end of the market.
Lots to Learn Challenging Culture
Manager, Business Development, Commercial (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAOctober 22, 2014
I had challenges with the company culture. Senior Management has been at this company forever. What Esri needs is a dose of external Senior Management and less centralized decision making.

Overall a very good company.
Great place to learn.
Senior Applications Developer/Architect (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAOctober 18, 2014
Nice people. Relaxed atmosphere. Beautiful campus. Never gone through layoffs. People stay there for ever.
Horrible management
PC Technician (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAOctober 14, 2014
Before being hired was unaware it was a temp to hire position until offered the job. Management dragged me along telling to do things so I can get hired on permanently. Did everything I was told to do by management and more. When time came around my temp position was extended. Then when it came around again I was let go and management didn't have the guts to tell me themselves. I was called and told by the temp agency. I was always on time and worked any overtime needed. Did everything and more that was asked of me. Management is a joke
Pros
Good owner
Cons
horrible management. low compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Esri. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval