Esri Employee Reviews

Productive, yet laid-back workplace
Enterprise Integrations Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CANovember 30, 2016
Esri is a tight-knit company, known the world over for its geographic information system (GIS) development and applications. The CEO is very active at Esri's Redlands HQ, and is very involved with the staff.

The atmosphere is "professional casual", at least in the information technology building where I worked. Break and lunch times were fairly lax, and a typical day would usually involve mixing meetings, busywork alone, and breaks. Despite the laid-back atmosphere, tasks and projects are still generally completed on time and according to specifications.

Management was particularly excellent at Esri. Since it's a relatively small company, managers know each other very well even between departments on different sides of the campus. Generally, everyone will make time to accommodate you if there are any questions you need answered. Management in my group was excellent, and made very good progress on scheduling between team members and allocating enough workforce to complete projects.

However, there is still overtime expected of staff here, which I believe is a fair trade for the relaxed atmosphere this workplace gives. If you are looking just to reduce your work hours, this company may not be for you.

Redlands is only accessible using the I-10 freeway, which means that it shares a lot of commute space with people going to and from Los Angeles. Because of this, the commute tends to be pretty bad.
Pros
Cafe on campus, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Bad commute
Good work-life balance
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAApril 28, 2016
Good work-life balance, Loyal employees, management been around for ever. Small town luxuries, away from the big city traffic.
Overall great place
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 12, 2017
The best place for a geographer to work! Sometimes a little workload heavy, but that is to be expected with any company. Everyone loves coming to work. They treat employees wonderfully.
ESRI is a great concept company but....
PC/Mac Tech (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAJune 13, 2012
ESRI does a lot for the community, state, country and world. But they are way off target with base salaries and there is very limited room for advancement. They do support education and have a great benefits package but salary for the non management positions are about 45% below industry. I have been working in my industry for over 10 years and this is the first time in an hourly position. It is difficult to be effective when bound by the time clock.
Pros
good benefits. owners are generous and down to earth.
Cons
no advancement.
Awesome
BI Solutions Architect, Consultant (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJune 7, 2016
Great company, I've enjoyed my time here. My co-workers are very professional and make working here a pleasure. I would highly recommend this organization.
Horrible management
PC Technician (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAOctober 14, 2014
Before being hired was unaware it was a temp to hire position until offered the job. Management dragged me along telling to do things so I can get hired on permanently. Did everything I was told to do by management and more. When time came around my temp position was extended. Then when it came around again I was let go and management didn't have the guts to tell me themselves. I was called and told by the temp agency. I was always on time and worked any overtime needed. Did everything and more that was asked of me. Management is a joke
Pros
Good owner
Cons
horrible management. low compensation
A very structured workplace
Meeting Room Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CASeptember 8, 2014
The benefits far outweighed the negatives with Esri. As a User Conference Clerk, I learned a great deal about what it takes to plan an event. And while I had an integral part at making sure this conference went off without a hitch, it hardly felt as stressful as I initially imagined. My meticulous organizational skills helped keep my plate from seeming full and enabled me to learn a great deal about trade shows and events I shouldn't have had any part of. Overall, while management did very little to help me succeed once my duties were finished, I still value the structure and diligence the events department relies upon in order to be successful.
Cons
Desk job
Aministrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant - Contracts (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAApril 30, 2016
Assisted Contract managers with their work.
Created files and kept them updated.

Not very challenging, I like to grow in a position.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Not enough work
Great workplace for meaningful work that is highly technical in nature
Product Owner (Technical Product Manager) (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CASeptember 12, 2014
Esri is a great company for those seeking to do meaningful things that affect society and the environment using technology. The company has a relaxed, collegial atmosphere and treats it employees well.
Pros
Highly interesting work, social impact, technology and job security
Cons
Flat management hierarchy so advancement is slow
Mostly positive environment, encouraging team building, and requires strong employee workmanship
International Customer Service Manger (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CASeptember 1, 2012
In management here for nearly 7 years, I enjoyed the interaction I had with my team. We were a very strong team, meeting weekly to review our goals and expectations, discuss any challenges, and address any issues at hand. The work was difficult but we got through every challenge presented to us. We worked with international distributors so we needed to be aware of cultural differences and often times language barriers. I held my team to high standards and they were always aware of my expectations - and they were such a great team, they made my job so easy. I was very proud to say I was their manager, and one HR representative told me I did more for my team as a team builder than any other manager on campus. I just wanted to encourage them to be the best they could be so they could move on and be more than account managers. So many of them were superstars!
Pros
very flexible hours, employee centric, strong employee moral, 2000 employees on campus and many knew each other
Cons
advancement was slow for those wanting to move up and salaries could have been better.
Great company and people
Sales (Former Employee)February 18, 2011
ESRI is a wonderful place to work. I often wonder why I left. Their idealistic culture isn't just a front; the company is full of people who really seem to care about the problems people are working on with GIS. Even though they are not that hard-nosed in a business sense, they are the market leader in GIS products. The only thing is that the pay seems to be just fair. I doubt you'll get your biggest salary offer from ESRI, you'll work here for the intangibles.
IT company in a small town
Release Manager (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAApril 20, 2015
This is the only IT company Redlands which is a quite town. There is no competition and the only other large employer is Loma Linda Hospital.
Pros
Ability to learn new technologies to accomplish work.
Cons
Flat management structure and little advancement.
Lots to Learn Challenging Culture
Manager, Business Development, Commercial (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAOctober 22, 2014
I had challenges with the company culture. Senior Management has been at this company forever. What Esri needs is a dose of external Senior Management and less centralized decision making.

Overall a very good company.
ESRI is a weak company that suffers from exceptionally poor leadership at the corporate level.
Marketing Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAMay 15, 2012
ESRI was once the crown jewel of the inland empire. Unfortunately, an influx of 'horrible bosses' over the course of the last few years has effectively ruined a once great company. Since it is a privately held company, corporate can spew whatever stories they want to the industry media outlets. The company seems to hire only senior-level positions. All other positions are filled with temporary staff or contractors. This allows ESRI to avoid having to provide benefits to these folks. Also, after about 6-months on the job, an HR representative will either smile and kick you out the door, or tell you what your new job title is so they can reset the clock for another 6-months of work with no benefits. I've worked very hard for almost 17-years at this company. I've seen good times and bad times - but it has now become unbearable.
Amazing business plan
Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 4, 2014
While Esri provides an amazing buisness plan the execution of it all leaves a bit to be desired.
Pros
Great on campus cafe, good benefits, annual pay increase
Cons
minimal advancement from within the company
Amazing 20 years of my life!
Support Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMay 18, 2015
Very busy with phones, emails, and chats. Interactions with customers was about 100 per day.

Learned several new CRM's.

Management was decent.

Co-workers were the best of the best

Hardest part of my job was dealing with upset customers which was on a daily basis.

Best part of my job was feeling like I was part of a family.
Highly productive campus like environment that encourages innovation
Business Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAAugust 25, 2015
Everyday is like a new day with different challenges and reason to live the day to its fullest.
A place with a pool of supportive associates, mentors ever willing to help and encouraging you for success in your projects and assignments.
Pros
Good training
Worked there too long ago to review fairly
Development Editor/Staff Author (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 22, 2012
Worked there too long ago to review comprehensively, can say the culture is good, but has a reputation for not paying well
Great company and work experience but poor work environment
SR. ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  RedlandsJuly 8, 2015
I worked for Esri a little over 8 years and loved the work that I performed which covered a broad range of job duties and special projects so I was never bored. There were multiple learning opportunities with the companies continued grow in the international market. The hours were always long and stressful; there was no such thing as a 40 hour work week as our department was always short staffed. Depending on the department and/or the supervisor you work for, there may be flexible schedules which helps ease burnout in the short term. Unfortunately there are no common rules for how each department is ran throughout the company which makes it feel like each department is its own unit and not a part of a team. The inconsistences in management style, lack of follow up (communication), teamwork, equipment and software needs being met and limited technical support leads to moral issues and a stressful work environment overall. Management is given to individuals based upon who you are friends with rather than skills. Many of the managers have not been trained and it shows. Its not uncommon to have employee's seek assistance with work related issues including hostile work environment, stress and ergonomics issues. Instead of receiving assistance you are either ignored or find yourself under scrutiny by the Human Resource Department as if you did something wrong. HR does not protect you from retaliation when you do seek help so most people end up leaving the company rather than continue working under such conditions which is too bad because the company and the work itself  more... really are great.  less
Pros
Great work experience and learning opportunities
Cons
Hostile work enviornment
good
Internship (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJanuary 12, 2013
pretty good company. good environment, culture, coworkers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Esri. Our community is ready to answer.

Indeed Prime: Apply to 100 top tech companies with 1 application

100% free. Land your dream job and get $2k. Interested employers will reach out with salary and equity upfront.

Learn more about Indeed Prime