Essentia Health Employee Reviews

I thoroughly enjoyed this job however was treat unfairly by management/administration and other co-workers which forced me to quit.
Registered Nurse in ICU and Telemetry (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNDecember 12, 2012
A typical day at work depended on if I was working in ICU or Telemetry. If I was working in ICU I was assigned 1-2 patients. I provided direct care to patients by completing admissions, discharges, transfers, nursing assessments, obtaining and initiating MD orders, frequent vital sign checks and monitoring heart rhythms. I also took part in assisting patients with personal care needs, care planning, medication administration and documentation electronicly using Encompass/EPIC. I cared for and managed patients on ventilators and also managed titration of vasopressors, sedatives and paralytics.

A typical day in Telemetry was very similar to explained above except I was assigned 3-5 patients per shift. I still completed admissions, discharges, and transfers. Also, completed nursing assessments, vital signs, medication administration, obtaining and initiating MD orders and documentation. These patients were however stable and therefore nursing assessments and vitals signs were not completed as often as needed in ICU.

Most of my co-workers were great! I developed many great friendships with many of the people I worked with and our teamwork was awesome! I learned so much from my co-workers as well. There were also certain co-workers who were constantly wanting to observe you in a mistake and report to management. As described above, this is why I left Essentia Health due to certain co-workers lying about the care I provided to my patients, which I am confident was excellent care meeting all standards. This was the most difficult part of the job. I also feel that in the end of my
  more... employment and throughout my employment, I was unfairly treated by management and administration and feel they honestly lied about a lot of information they obtained from my co-workers. I felt as if they were out to get me if you will.

As a new graduate when I first started this job, I can't even list the amount of things I learned. I had so many amazing experiences and opportunities to learn through the patients I cared for and my co-workers guiding me along the way. I feel this job has improved my nursing skills in all aspects. I also feel that I am a more competent RN and feel more confidence in the care I provide.

The most enjoyable part of the job was patient care. I enjoy nothing more than providing direct, quality nursing care to my patients. It gives me pure pride and joy. Nursing I truly believe is my true calling and passion in life.
beware of essential health
RN (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 26, 2014
Management has become quite oppressive due to major money problems, cutting corners and costs at every level. They have recently started coming down heavy on any sick calls. New director of nursing of questionable value. Doctors are all burned out and overworked. They were told they had to produce more. Many are leaving. Our department is a skeleton of what it used to be. Financial intake has come to a standstill . Patients are transferring to St. Lukes for better care.. Most employees are stuck at this hospital as it is only 1 of 2 in the city. Moral is very low. My guess is there will be major changes in the very near future. Hospital used to be in top 100??? don’t know how that happened but they lost it and will never get it back because it is sliding into the abyss.
Pros
it you need a paycheck it is a job
Cons
very tough place to work at.
Thought it was a good place to work!!!????!!!!
Care at pt bedside/professional (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MnMay 17, 2013
Worked for St. Joes/Essentia as a professional from 2000 to 2012 as a casual and part-time staff. Brought over 30 years of experience from various hospitals and truly felt I added to both patient care and matched the mission statement values.
After the hospital was bought by the Essentia Group, communication and staff contribution was less valued.
A big problem in hospitals is that they put people in management positions that are trained to be nurses, lab tech's etc, that were never trained to lead, manage and encourage individuals. Every once in awhile you find a natural leader/director, but for the most part they are sorely inept and clueless as far as how to work together with and encourage their employees.
I would never consider going on-board again with St. Joes/Essentia---they really need to review their mission statement and core values.
Pros
really can't think of any
Cons
lack of communication and concern for staff

Comment – May 25, 2013

I am a really hard working person and have been looking forward to work at Essentia Health, in Duluth MN. I believe they have some management problems internally. Even though I have never worked there, I have learnt a lot about that place in many other ways. For example, I have applied for a job there many times and couldn't get the positions I applied for. But not trying to complain about that…I just wanted to explain my understandings about that place. And I am not willing to apply there anymore. I have already learned that they don’t have a very strong hiring manager that understands the values and strength of different people with different background, which also implies that they have different internal management problems. Strong recruiters do nothing without strong and skilled hiring managing people.

Unprofessional
RN (Current Employee) –  BrainerdApril 24, 2013
Smallest company I've worked for since I've been out of college and it's apparent. Essentia does not value their employees based on the horrible benefits and the horrible administration of said benefits. The HR and payroll continues to make mistakes, always in the company's favor. For example, participated in open enrollment for health benefits for family; filled out all required paperwork and come January 1 my family wasn't covered. Hmmm... Went to HR and was told " No big deal..." Really! Essentia had all required forms but some idiot in data entry didn't activate the information. Mind you this is ONE example of how this company tends to f*** up with their employees. I still work here only because there are really no other options. Competition not only breeds excellence for the consumer but also for the employee! I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture.
Pros
hmmm still trying to find one, even the cafeteria sucks
Cons
amateur administration, horrible benefits and horrible patients

Comment – May 27, 2013

None of the Administration, including managers and supervisors seem to feel that they should follow the values of Essentia Health. They find it good to keep reminding the employees of the values but not themselfs. alot of bullying goes on in their organization without anything being done.

Productive and fun working environment
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNDecember 25, 2014
A typical day at Essentia health would include: taking vitals, assisting patients with daily cares, assisting nurses with various tasks, answering call lights to assist patients, cleaning and stocking various supplies. I have learned a lot from working for this facility. My knowledge on medical terms and how-to's has expanded enormously. The management at this hospital are great! They do a wonderful job of meeting with employees and hearing their needs and concerns. My co-workers are a joy to work with. They are very team- oriented and everyone is willing to help out and care for the patients. The hardest part of the job is seeing someone with so much life and potential, be so sick and spiral downwards. The most enjoyable part of this job is that I get to help people and do my best to cure them of their sickness and make their stay at the hospital more positive.
Multi specialty healthcare system
Supervisor of Patient Access (Current Employee) –  Wahpeton, NDMay 9, 2013
Supervise and work patient access in a multi specialty healthcare system. Keep staff current and informed on upgrades with our current EPIC system while providing assistance and guidance in daily work environment. Work closely with providers, nurses and clinic managers on scheduling appointment issues that affect daily operations.

I enjoy providing quality patient service to different age groups so they leave with an excellent experience knowing that we truly care about them.

Challenges are micro managers
Pros
having staff who are flexibile and help make the day enjoyable to be around, providers are great to be around who treat you with respect.
Cons
having short lunch times or none, having to start early and stay late for most staff to get rid of overtime, hard to have other people trying to oversee and run your department .
This is how I observed my job
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNAugust 22, 2014
I always enjoyed working with the patients. Management was not to fair, they played favorites and if they did not want you to work there they would find some reason to fire people. A typical day was patient care, groups and one to ones with patients. I learned many things about mental illness and specific disorders and medication and how you treat it. Had great co-workers most everyone pitched in and got the job done together. Crisis situation when a patients behavior was out of control and hand to be handled with hands on, always a danger of some getting hurt. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with patients and seeing them get well.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
poor management
Great co-workers but poor management leadership
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 12, 2016
I enjoyed my job and loved helping people. I was based in the Emergency Department and left because the management was very poor. The management treated staff unfairly and would often recruit people to spy on other employees that they personally did not care for. I resigned due to one of these managers who sought out ways to write up disciplinary reports because I had reported her to HR for unfair treatment of employees. Those managers involved have all since been dismissed from the company but the department lost a lot of good healthcare workers before action was taken.
Pros
Fast paced, challenging, great co-workers
Cons
Long hours, on-call, poor management
Great learning expirences
PCT (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDOctober 9, 2012
I get report of patients than introduce myself to the floor of patients. I than speek with charge nurse to talk about plan for day. I may have to transfer patients to different floors or begin thier bedbaths for the day. I than make rounds and ask patients and nurses if I can get them anything or help with anything. I continue to answer call lights through out the day. In down time I stock medical supplies. We have great team work at essentia. The most difficult part of the job is seeing patients pass. But I understand its for the best at times. I love getting to know the patients and listen to their stories.
Pros
expierence
Cons
patients passing
feel like im in prison
this is funny ,,,,,so you can fire me (Former Employee) –  dlthDecember 1, 2013
worked here for over 8 years,management is encouraged to treat you like a loser,and make you feel beneath them, when in fact everyone else greets you with a smile and knows your name and thanks you for you work.......i think its sad that mangement can bully you and get away with it if they dont want you there they do try to get rid of you.......
Pros
co-workers, and job
Cons
no backup or support, your at the mercy of your manager and superviser, they can do what they want no matter what you do union wise or l.r. wise its sad
Great place for those who like to stay busy
Desktop Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 10, 2012
Great place to work if you were looking for a fast pace place where you will keep busy from the time you start till you finish the day. They are open to those who do not have a degree but have the skills required which is what I believe is lacking on some places today. They appreciated my practical experience that was self taught even though I did not have the professional experience.
Pros
one hour lunch, fairly flexible schedule, good communication between you and the supervisor
Essentia Health has a negative work environment.
Patient Care (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNJuly 28, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is providing services to the patients and their families. The hardest part is that overtime, management style has allowed the work environment to become nonconducive to cooperative working. Intimidation is common. Employees have been disciplined for unfounded accusations and it is difficult to ask for any help. I have wonderful co-workers that are supportive and honest but there are co-workers that are not. I advise you not to seek employment here
Pros
helping patients develop safe discharge plans, arranging services and accommdations
Cons
management style is not conducive to a positive work environment
I loved working at Essentia Health.
RT(R) (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 9, 2014
There was great training and support involved at Essentia among the co-workers. Being a perfectionist, I wanted to spend as much of my time training in the OR, my primary hired responsibility, while I was in training. I have learned to keep the lines of communication open with my supervisors as there were some misunderstandings of what was expected of me and some trouble learning the parking challenges.
Pros
great training, perfect fit for me, new friendships
Cons
management gave no warning or counseling before termination, parking was very challenging
Productive and rewarding
Activity Director (Current Employee) –  Sandstone, MNNovember 28, 2012
I have a very busy day, planning and implementing activities for 55 residents and hospital swing bed patients as well a recruiting volunteers. I have assessments that I do on our residents on a quarterly and annual basis. I have two employees in my department that I manage. The management team and co-workers are very supportive. I really don't consider my job hard as it's very rewarding work. It's very heart warming to sees smiles on the residents faces, knowing that you are enriching their lives by providing meaningful activities for them.
Nursing review
Nurse Clinician (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 3, 2015
I typically keep very busy at work helping patients in a fast paced outpatient center. I have learned a lot about medications and cancer. I have a very supportive supervisor who wants to see her patients receive excellent care. I work with a great team and I get the opportunity each day to interact with the community and learn a lot from the people I care for.
Pros
positive environment where i keep very busy and days go fast.
Cons
sometimes the patients have to wait quite some time to be served if we are too busy
Essentia Health is a a great place to work.
Nutrition Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit Lakes, MNNovember 24, 2014
At Essentia Health I was responsible for preparing meals for residents of the assisted living buildings, cleaning up the meals, delivering meals to hospital patients, completing inventory sheets, answering phones to take meal orders, and keeping a great attitude. The most enjoyable part of the job was visiting with the residents and hospital patients while bringing them their meals, the hardest part of the job was having to deal with people who called in and left you to work the shift alone.
Pros
free food, great co-workers, and fun job.
Fast paced fun environment
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 19, 2013
*Busy with orders, patient's either in person or on the phone, problem solving with Nurse's-mostly about Doctors schedules.

*Teamwork is best when everyone is on the same page

*Management is making improvements for a better working environment

*Co-workers are great. Everyone works together to serve our patients

*Trying to keep up with things when we are short. Patient's keep us busy in person and on the phone, so it's hard to keep up on orders placed my Nurses

*Helping the patient
Challenging yet rewarding
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 30, 2013
Medicare billing, gathering information from people and talking to them about their bill, why certain expenses were paid and others weren't, put together audits so payment could be made when Medicare came back with denial. Hardest part of my job was not always being able to please the patience but best thing was knowing that they knew I was there to help the best I could and they could count on me.
Productive and flexible workplace
Support Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDApril 1, 2013
Spent alot of time behind the computer and on the phone with patients. Honed my customer service skills. Learned more about hospital and clinic billing systems. The management were easy going and motivational. Hardest part of my job was creating workflows and implementing them through all of our sites. Most enjoyable part of my job was helping patients in tough financial situations.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Overall a good organization to work for.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNNovember 17, 2013
I always had more work to complete than hours in the day. This was the norm for this organization for any management/salaried position. My co-workers were wonderful and hard working people that I have great respect for. Management had some unrealistic expectations of workload. Management was fair. Hardest part of the job was the amount of work and the hours. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with wonderful people with excellent skill sets.