Essex Property Trust Employee Reviews

Great Place to learn corporate reality
Redevelopment Project Executive (Former Employee) –  Loss Angeles, CaliforniaNovember 18, 2016
I loved working at Essex. I was good at my job and they let me move around and promoted me several times in a short period. I learned more about publicly traded multi-family residential business in a few years than most in a lifetime. I loved the budgeting and more than anything - managing others and getting them promoted and moved up in the company. I felt like it was my duty to set an example as the leader and people do follow and they do respect that example. As a manager - I learned how not to handle many things and how to handle many things - it was humbling, informative, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
Pros
Freedom to lead at my properties without interference from upper management, as long as my numbers were great.
Cons
24-7 living on site and being on call at almost a 24-7 pace got exhausting
Great Company
Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJanuary 4, 2017
Essex is a great company that really cares about their employees. Work/Life balance is great. As en employee, you have a voice and it is heard by upper management. It's nice that if you have a family situation come up, management always tell you family should always be first.
Effective Communication
Leasing Consultant/Concierge (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 26, 2016
A typical day at work requires a thorough property walk, effective communication with staff and personal, email responses , great customer service toward potential residents and current residents.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
short staff. Commission wage very low .
suitable work environment its a joy to work with my team . and coworkers
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  issaquah wa.November 18, 2016
have no real complaints . besides the pay and their ways of transferring to a higher position . i think that could be better.. nice benefits package.. and 401k.. cant complain there..
Pros
large family environment ..
Cons
pay
Essex Property Trust maintenance technician work.
Maintenance Tech (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAAugust 21, 2016
During a typical day at work, I could be painting a curb one minute and later changing a heating element in a dryer at residents unit.
I have learned how to work on washers and dryers, about refrigerators, how to manage pools and spas, & make keys and changing locks. I really enjoy the management and my co-workers here, they help me when I need it and can be great teachers as well. I would say the hardest part of this job is doing turn overs by myself. But, I really enjoy helping people through work orders and the hard work of doing a turn over.
Pros
1hr lunch breaks with my family, constant work, benefits and 8-5 work schedule
Cons
picking up garbage, changing out dog clean up stations
Good company to work for
Accountant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 21, 2017
Management is nice and professional, if you do your work you can get promoted. Benefits are ok but can be improved for example more PTO days and better premiums for medical insurance.
Essex Culture is Great!
Assistant Manager at MIRABELLA (Current Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAAugust 1, 2016
As a company, the Essex job culture is great. A lot of great people and several events throughout the year to meet co-workers from other areas. Since it is the third largest REIT in California, the pay is not as competitive as smaller management groups. The work load varies depending on the property size and staff working on-site. Overall, a great learning experience and highly recommended.
Pros
Benefits - Health and Dental, advancement opportunities
Cons
Not competitive pay, policies take a long time to roll out.
My very first Leasing position. I'd do it all over again the right way
Property Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 10, 2016
The Essex Property Troust Reit is one of the most successful reits to this day! My co-workers are very down to earth and for some reason I feel like I'm a part of their family.
Good Company to work with and great people
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, CAJuly 21, 2016
Good Company ,
Good Benefits with Medical,
We work hard to keep a high level of Customer Service.
Maintain curb appeal and clean look.
Excellent looking turned units.
Great community resident retention with excellent work order completion.
Pros
Great Residents
Cons
Great Team
Great Leadership
SR. Community Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 12, 2016
What makes Essex different from other management companies is their corporate leadership. My RM is second to none. Essex enables their onsite leaders to manage the property, lead the team and trust we will do the right thing. For those new to the industry, Essex offers a wide range of classes to take online and in-person. I love the fact that we are encouraged to do what is right for our valued residents.

The only area of improvement is the software and number of programs we use on a daily basis. However, Essex is also working on streamlining this as well.
Pros
Strong leadership, career advancement opportunities and I feel valued!
Cons
Software programs
Essex good company.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 1, 2016
I enjoyed working with my managers but didn't approve of their decisions. Tenants were great to help very friendly and respectful.
Good company
Senior Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  CamarilloJune 9, 2016
I think Essex Property Trust is a great company to work for. Things change but you just have adjust to changes. Overall, this company has been my home for good time now.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Poor promotion system
Lots of room for growth!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 28, 2016
Property management, in general, isn't for the faint of heart. If you're not afraid to roll up your sleeves and wear multiple hats, this can be a very rewarding workplace.
Pros
Benefits, paid holidays
Cons
Some properties can be understaffed
Productive and fun people to wk for
Floater Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAMarch 15, 2016
Great company to work for. Always room for advancement and requires all employees take the proper classes yearly and pays for it.
review the vacant units and walk property
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CANovember 3, 2015
typical day
check work orders
check vacant
organize work for the team
review po and create other and receive them
do pre move inspection
schedule vendors
check vendor in property from remodel and other
check email
Pros
healtcare
Cons
regional manager not communication
Difficult Company to work for.
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 28, 2015
A typical day consisted of office tasks as well as customer service and sales. I learned a great deal about the Property Managment Industry. Unfortunately management was frequently unsupportive, and not family friendly. Maintenance staff was excellent and easy to work with. The most difficult part of this position was communicating with management and the most enjoyable part was conducting day to day business with residents.
Pros
Met some excellent people.
Cons
Management is unsupportive/entitled.
no days off
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 6, 2015
It is tough to request a day off, even if it is months in advance. There is no one to cover and depending on manager they will refuse to cover your shift. I have asked a whole district if there was anyone available to cover and they couldn't because they were working too. There is no one in place to cover shifts and depending on manager they do not care because when they were leasing specialist they never had a day off. You have to be careful about commissions because it can easily be taken/stolen. Depending on the property manager will determine overall experience. i went to another property that was great. My manager brought drama to the workplace and set in place ridiculous busy work. Another manager was very professional. So it just depends, on the specific property.
Great company to work for.
Leasing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAFebruary 1, 2016
Great company, benefits, salary, schedule and awesome properties. Learned a lot fun environment everyone works together very team oriented.
Helpful job for new and current residents
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CANovember 5, 2015
Friendly staff and friendly residents. Putting together files and documents. Helping people find the right home and making people happy with the home there in.
Pros
Commision and full time benefits
Cons
Great company with great opportunities
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2014
I worked with Essex Property Trust, Inc. for 3.5 years and while they have their issues (like any company) they really are committed to excellence. They promote from within as long as you perform consistently. They have awesome managers who work right along side of you (for the most part) and they seek to understand their employees perspective. Corporate visits just enough for employees to know who they are without being over powering. I would recommend this company to any star performer in the Property Management Industry.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Essex Property Trust. Our community is ready to answer.