Essex Property Trust Employee Reviews

Lots of room for growth!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 28, 2016
Property management, in general, isn't for the faint of heart. If you're not afraid to roll up your sleeves and wear multiple hats, this can be a very rewarding workplace.
Pros
Benefits, paid holidays
Cons
Some properties can be understaffed
Helpful job for new and current residents
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CANovember 5, 2015
Friendly staff and friendly residents. Putting together files and documents. Helping people find the right home and making people happy with the home there in.
Pros
Commision and full time benefits
Cons
review the vacant units and walk property
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CANovember 3, 2015
typical day
check work orders
check vacant
organize work for the team
review po and create other and receive them
do pre move inspection
schedule vendors
check vendor in property from remodel and other
check email
Pros
healtcare
Cons
regional manager not communication
If you have what it takes, you will advance.
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  South BayAugust 29, 2015
If you're willing to put in the work and have common sense, you'll be alright. Sometimes feel like there is favoritism between regionals and some managers. Overall a good place to work.
Difficult Company to work for.
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 28, 2015
A typical day consisted of office tasks as well as customer service and sales. I learned a great deal about the Property Managment Industry. Unfortunately management was frequently unsupportive, and not family friendly. Maintenance staff was excellent and easy to work with. The most difficult part of this position was communicating with management and the most enjoyable part was conducting day to day business with residents.
Pros
Met some excellent people.
Cons
Management is unsupportive/entitled.
leasing consultant
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 20, 2015
fun, educational, great co-workers, lots to learn, fast paced, lots of opportunity to grow in the company, makes it fun to show apartments to perspective residents
Pros
greta benefits
Cons
high turnover
no days off
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 6, 2015
It is tough to request a day off, even if it is months in advance. There is no one to cover and depending on manager they will refuse to cover your shift. I have asked a whole district if there was anyone available to cover and they couldn't because they were working too. There is no one in place to cover shifts and depending on manager they do not care because when they were leasing specialist they never had a day off. You have to be careful about commissions because it can easily be taken/stolen. Depending on the property manager will determine overall experience. i went to another property that was great. My manager brought drama to the workplace and set in place ridiculous busy work. Another manager was very professional. So it just depends, on the specific property.
Great Place to work
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJuly 1, 2015
In few words an awesome company to work. growing fast. All the employees are happy and full filling their commitments. easy to get promotions for the quality of work and the trainee from employees. Apartment building is the new market.
Pros
activities
Cons
market changes and regionals changing all the time
Nice communities but unfair pay and recognition
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 8, 2015
You will only make decent money if you do a lease up where there is a lot of commission. Otherwise, good luck paying your bills
The Secret Behind These Good Reviews
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 27, 2014
Let me first say that if you are hired by Essex and sell a lot of apartments then you will probably be able to have a decent work life. However, you are working for a company that only cares about the selling of apartments. This company merged with another huge company called BRE and guess where all the BRE employees are.....either fired and unemployed or getting written up enough times to get fired. This company wants cheap sales sharks that they hire. They had/have no problem firing all BRE alum. They didn't want to pay severance packages but they made sure to fire most employees before paying out holiday bonuses. Honestly you can make more money being a leasing consultant at a different company. They can dock your commission if the property manager feels like you don't deserve it. They want a person who does not care about the customer and can kiss butt to management. If that is you then you will do well in this company but if you have some dignity and are a good person please look elsewhere.
Pros
few people you work with, free lunches
Cons
management, the company, essex property managers
Great company with great opportunities
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2014
I worked with Essex Property Trust, Inc. for 3.5 years and while they have their issues (like any company) they really are committed to excellence. They promote from within as long as you perform consistently. They have awesome managers who work right along side of you (for the most part) and they seek to understand their employees perspective. Corporate visits just enough for employees to know who they are without being over powering. I would recommend this company to any star performer in the Property Management Industry.
Valuable experience was gained here
Associate Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 6, 2014
I was hired by the outgoing Senior Project Manager knowing that I had no Corporate Experience. I learned quickly the management of budgets and the problems it would create when going over budget. Management there was great, my co-workers were great, the hardest part of the job was creating budgets, awarding contracts and creating scopes of work that the company could recoup within 5 years. Most enjoyable part was seeing the finished product.
Pros
set my own hours
Cons
corporate environment
Take time out for you and always have fun
Asset Manager/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Bellevue WaJune 28, 2014
I really enjoyed going to work everyday, residents were always friendly. Property management can make you strong as long as you are always on your toes. I miss the challenges of renovating and working side by side with vendors. You truly do learn something new everyday. I would always take time to answer co workers questions, I really like to solve problems using tact and good judgment.
Pros
residents love living close to the work
Cons
are you done yet?
Manager and other coworkers fun to work with.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Issaquah WAJune 23, 2014
Great place to learn a broad spectrum of skills. Coworkers were fun to work with. Some Apt homes were dreadful to enter.
Pros
coworkers fun to work with.
Cons
really dirty or smelly apt. homes.
Company is very pro education, and most of upper management is good, the pay is not great
Senior Property Manager (Former Employee) –  WashingtonMay 27, 2014
Over all Essex was a good place to work, they are pro training and education, along with offering additional vacation time for long-term employees. Unfortunately, upper management continues to employ some regional portfolio managers that create extremely hostile working environments, and tend to drive off long term employees.
Pros
pro education, vacation and medical benefiets for long term employees
Cons
certain regional managers create hostile working environments. too many politics to maneuver through, no job security for long-term employees.
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 22, 2014
Over all a good company to work for.
a typical day at work... Always something to do
what you learned... N/A
management... No Comment
your co-workers... Great team, hard working
the hardest part of the job... N/A
the most enjoyable part of the job... Meeting new people
Productive and fun workplace with a new outlook everyday.
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAApril 16, 2014
A typical day is working from 9-6. I started with the company 2 years ago and have learned a lot. I enjoy all aspects of my job and really enjoy building relationships. I have great co workers who I work with daily and enjoy coming to work everyday. The hardest part of my job is having to say "No". It has been a challenge but sure learning how to over come situations.
No two days are the same
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 24, 2014
A typical day at work consist of greeting prospective residents as well as current residents. Showing and lease apartments to people who are interested in living at that property. My coworkers and I tend to split the duties as we go through our day. The hardest part of the day is trying to fit everything that needs to be done in one day while still doing tours and calling back prospective residents. I think the most enjoyable thing is knowing I found someone the home of their dreams.
Pros
good bonuses and great managers
Cons
working weekends
Productive, skills
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMarch 11, 2014
Fun,
Focus
pleasant environment
skillful and helpful co workers
Pros
healthcare, buneses, sick time, paid vacation
Cons
unbalance work / family life
Great place to learn the buisness
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Corona CaNovember 22, 2013
Very upscale apartment community with an excellent training program.
Pros
training program and beautiful communitys
Cons
there are no cons