Essex Property Trust Employee Reviews

It will take a lot of time to recover and trust another employer
Community Manager for East Bay Area (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 14, 2018
It started out badly and consistently got worse. Fake employees all over the company. Training is a joke. Culture? What culture? Housing discount is laughable. Dress code, morale, atmosphere just restictive and negative all around. Upper management appears to feel successful only when admonishing employees. Trust is non-existent in this nightmare of a company. Literally the hardest and most disturbing employment experience of my life. I would not wish it on anyone and I'm at a loss as to why there are associates that stick around. Nightmare in every sense of the word. It will seriously take me a long time to recover from the stress and negativity.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Horrible
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 5, 2018
I would not recommend this company to anyone. Very cut-throat. it's your typical corporate company hunting for numbers and will blame all fault on the onsite teams. They treat the ceo like a god. it's a joke .
Pros
no pros
Cons
all cons
Essex Property Trust as a company
Assistant Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CADecember 21, 2017
Overall, Essex Property Trust takes care of their employees and is a great company to work for. They offer great incentives and benefits. I would have loved to have stayed with the company longer.
Pros
Great teams, great company leaders
Cons
Long hours, lack of property support
Productive, fun workplace and great benefits and compensation
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milpitas, CANovember 23, 2017
I love working at Essex, it has great growth opportunities for anyone who is determined to move up, I started of as a porter and within 3 years I have accomplished 4 promotions, first to maintenace tech, then supervisor under 200 units, then supervisor to slather property and now I’m at a mid rise. Sky is the limit in this company, I would really recommend it to anyone looking for a long term career not just in maintenace but also in office.
Pros
Benefits and housing discounts
Positive experience, fast paced
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAOctober 31, 2017
Previewing apartment homes to prospective buyers was a lot of fun. Learned a lot about managing different personalities of customer from all walks of life and understanding their needs were met. Hardest part of the job was when it rained. Other than that, I really enjoyed working as a Leasing Consultant.
Pros
great work hours
Wish I Never Left
COMMUNITY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Washington StateOctober 24, 2017
I love Essex, they are an excellent company to work for. They give back to their employees, and support their sister properties. There is room for advancement and support to grow your career if you choose. The management is great, I loved all but one boss I had the whole time I worked for them. The culture is exciting they have tons of employee involvement. The hardest part was Employee relations, in any place of employment people always seem to be the challenge. We are all different and it can be challenging to manage many different personalities.
Pros
Employee Activites
LEASING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Ventura County, CAOctober 23, 2017
Working for Essex is great. You have a lot of opportunity to grow and advance with the company if you are willing to travel. Upper management is always willing to help you achieve your goals. Employees become like family.
Pros
Company events, Employee recognition
Cons
Better diciplinary action
Decent Company
Senior Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 8, 2017
Decent company to work for, current regional management
is excellent. Upward growth beyond the property manager is difficult as this involves purchasing larger properties in a highly pricey market.
Poor Job Security
Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 6, 2017
If you take a position with Essex, start interviewing from day 1 for other property management jobs which pay better and treat their employees better.

Old Essex and BRE employees are on their way out. Even with good financials, customer service scores, and work records.....you are not exempt from being fired for any reason or no reason at all. You have been warned.
Pros
Lots of communities
Cons
Lowest pay in industry, poor job security
fair
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Issaquah, WASeptember 19, 2017
my team was fun and i was always happy to work with my coworker . but the only problem is the owners do not want to pay there employees due to performance . ive work with them 5yrs and i am making the same as new personnel coming in.. i can go on..benefits are good the only grip i really have is the way they configure there pay rate. i guess that why they cant keep there employees . its a good stepping stone to get into the field .
Understaffed properties
Maintenance Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CASeptember 15, 2017
Essex used to be fun to work at, but lately most of the properties have been greatly understaffed and that puts a lot pressure on everyone working there, carrying the workload day in day out. There is also shortage of good professionals in the maintenance department due to the poor hourly compensations.
Pros
job security
Cons
low pay, lack of career advancement, high expectations without providing the necessary tools to complete the work
Stressful
Sr. Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CASeptember 13, 2017
Everyday working with Essex is stressful, but I still managed working for 11 1/2 years.
I've Learned all accounting job. Good Experienced.
Management is poor.
The Atmosphere In The Office Was Great
Leasing Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 6, 2017
I learned so much while working for Essex, I started out working for the prior owners. When Essex Property Trust came in and took over I found that we had a whole new way of doing things such as paperwork and the due process of how they need things to be organized.

I took this as a challenge and I felt like the challenge taught me how to adapt and rise above change.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Strict Rules
Ok job, very repetitive
Property Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 26, 2017
The company gives the associates a lot of control over what is going on during daily operations, which is great. You will do almost the same thing every day, nothing really changes. Received a write up during a busy season while the property was under staffed. My bonus was reduced 50% and I received a 0% raise even though the property financials were excellent, highest in the region. Also, exit process was terrible and the company tried to nickel and dime me after 3 years of hard work and tons of overtime.

Overall if you work hard you can be promoted quickly. I learned a lot of valuable business skills in a short period of time and met some great people. It is also fun and rewarding to help people through a stressful and expensive time in their life.
Pros
Discounted rent, awesome coworkers.
Cons
Day to day operations are very repetitive, Pay is low for california.
Not recommended
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Issaquah, WAAugust 18, 2017
Salaried employees are overworked and underpaid - company is way too top heavy and employees and managers are micro-managed at a level where it is literally a miserable work environment. Unrealistic expectations and unorganized & unprofessional HR department for example. No support. Company was amazing when I started in 2008 but has since become a downward spiral unfortunately. Excessive open positions because they do not know how to pay fairly and properly retain employees. Bellevue corporate office has no diversity & regional managers are all caucasian female.
Pros
PTO & Benefit Package
Cons
Everything else
good pay poor stability
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 15, 2017
good company, plenty room for advancement, not a lot of job security. people always get fired and hired here. but the commision is good if your at a busy property.
An extremely stressful and demanding place to work. There is no work-life balance in the accounts payable department.
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 25, 2017
A day in the accounts payable department lasts about 9 to 10 hours. You, often, are relegated to performing multiple jobs within the day.
You are never caught up and requests to do more are continually piled on you. You must speak up when it becomes to much, or you will simply drown in work.
Horribly Managed properties,
Seattle, WA - Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 6, 2017
I would show up with a great attitude everyday. By lunchtime it would be gone. The management was rude to residents. The CM had a "no gossip" policy. That policy only applied to employees gossiping about management. I was threatened with not being paid for an emergency call back more than once. I had hours shorted and never corrected. My immediate supervisor had the reading capability of a third grader(they made him a Senior Maintenance Supervisor ) Very dysfunctional work environment. The best part of the job was the twenty percent discount if living at an Essex property. Once I moved offsite I didn't see the "value" in working for the company.
Pros
Good PTO
Cons
Understaffed, overworked, no work life balance.
Hardworking corporate office with amazing people.
Corporate Contract Administrator Associate (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 15, 2017
Essex was an amazing place to work but it is very fast paced and competitive. You must have a strong work ethic in order to maintain your position as it can become very overwhelming at times. You must also be okay with working overtime as 40 hours a week is extremely rare. I often worked Saturday's as well but I worked with great people and had great opportunity and never complained. I would only recommend working in Corporate Essex if you love to WORK.
Pros
Free lunches on occasion, annual business trip and never a dull moment; there is always work to do.
Cons
Never able to work only 8 hours, pay should be a tad higher.
greatcompany
Sr. maintenance tech (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 20, 2017
this company is ok, it can be better. the building sucks and they expect you to do the work of two people but i suppose thats typical for a company. bonuses and raises suck bung hole unless your management.