Essilor of America, Inc. Employee Reviews

Poorly run Lab
Ex Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa flSeptember 21, 2016
Upper management is too concerned with promoting family members To jobs they are not qualified to do. When issues arise within these family run departments, there is no person to discuss things with without fear of retaliation. Lab is poorly run and corporate seems to sit by and allow things to deteriorate. Advancement for the most part, is achievable for those that are either related or friends of general manager. If none of those options are available, they rather hire out people with no optical experience then to promote from within. A lot of people are kept in positions they are not successful at because of who they know. The over all atmosphere of the general work floor is low morale and trust. Corporate needs get involved and overhaul this place and deal with the nepotism. There are good employees there that are ready to jump ship.
Pros
Benefits 401k
Cons
Nepotism, unqualified managers, poor advancement opportunities, no family values unless it is their own
Beware
former dept manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa flSeptember 19, 2016
Tampa location is horrible place to work. General manager of the lab has husband as a manager of one dept and son, who knows nothing, the manager of the maintenance dept. Good luck with having issues with either of these departments without retaliation. The work morale is poor and management is selective on how issues are handled. Treatment is not the same for all. Management keeps people in positions that do not provide quality work. Quality and production are only enforced on a select few. Forget going to HR, question is more like what HR. The company is highly entwined with upper management getting jobs for their children and family regardless of their ability to do the job. You either stay quiet or fear the repercussions. Advancement within the company is poor unless you are related to someone or dating the upper management. tHEY Rather hire people inexperienced in optical then advance from within.
Pros
401k and insurance is ok. Great place to work if you are related to management.
Cons
hostile work environment, No HR support or confidentiality, poor advancement options, working with underqualified people and the list goes on
French culture with a Texas twist (imagine that)
Associate Director of Customer Development (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 27, 2016
Essilor is a moderately paced work environment that values diversity and has experienced strong and consistent growth for the past 2 decades. The company offers significant development opportunity and is relatively flat. Co-workers are largely collaborative and the company is surprisingly flat. To be successful in this matrixed organization, an individual must be good at developing coalitions and building consensus. Recently there seems to be a growth in the number of executive roles in the company which is making the organization a little top-heavy. Overall the company has been very good to me, offering me challenging roles and opportunities for development.
Pros
Entrepreneurial culture
Cons
Sometimes simple decision require a "committee" for approval
Summary
Premium Brand Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXMay 25, 2016
Wonderful people, to top heavy with management.
Upward mobility

Great place for a young person with room to grow and learn the culture of the company.
productive
ELAC - Client Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 8, 2016
great work place. awesome coworker and management team. quiet and comfortable work place. I learn a lot from this job the team always goes above and beyond to make the training period easy
Pros
great team
Cons
unstable
family oriented
Optical Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GAAugust 10, 2016
Recently transferred from Michigan to Norcross location. I move to Austell, so the commute is too far to have a latch key child. I need a more structured and organized environment where the rules are the same for all employees.
Pros
401k matching, vacation time, decent insurance
Cons
not structured
Outstanding Company to Work With
Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 23, 2016
I spent the better part of 10 years with Essilor of America, Essilor Laboratories Division and advanced through the ranks based on performance to company goals. Essilor is a fair company to work with.
Pros
Great Compensation and Benefits Package
Cons
Hiring today seems to be focused on salary savings.
This job fits me in all areas.
Finishing inspector (Former Employee) –  6925 Saukview Drive Saint Cloud, MN 56303November 6, 2016
I like the idea of helping people with their vision.
My job was: visual inspection of the lenses and frame, inserting lenses in to the frame, optical inspection with lensometer (manual or digital) using pd stick caliper and all nesesery tools to get tolerance and frame alignment. Clean it, wrap and making eyewear ready to send to the doctor. Performed rework if needed.
Always been on my quota. Always watched my and other's safety. Friendly with coworkers and stuff.
Pros
Often treated with food
Like people work with company seems confused on what it doing
Stock service associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 2, 2016
Good people bit supervisor s and hr seem to not care and take the easiest path to solve problems. There is obous favorites with management
I LOVED MY JOB. Unfortunately, product lines off-shored to Mexico, Thailand, Brazil and Philippines. Lost position in 1995.
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  St Petersburg FLJuly 9, 2016
I started as a Assemblers' Helper, running parts/products to Assemblers. I was transferred to Packer after 2 months. Promoted to Inspector 1 year later. Was promoted to Anti-Reflective Coating Operator/Inpsector 2 years later. Was promoted on manager recommendation to Group Leader after 3 months. Was promoted to Supervisor after 2 years of GL. per Management peer group.
At peak employment, I supervised 65 employees in 3 departments on 2 shifts. I was responsible for everyone & everything within the Inpsection, Packaging and Shipping Depts. I had the responsibility of hiring, training employees as well as insuring employees safety was a first priority.
IDaily interaction with our QA, Engineering and Assembly departments was critical in assisting to produce high quality lenses to our customer specs.
I was also afforded the opportunity to spend several weeks in Manaus, Brazil at our facility in training local hires for our Inspection and Packaging lines.
I learned so much about the optical lens business. Essilor was SO GOOD to it's employees, offering continuing education, very good communication from Senior management to the newly hired employees. The company had a wonderful policy and mission statement. They invested in their employees to be #1 in the world and stay there. They strived to produce the best high quality optical lenses in the world
I was on the Safety Team; was a writer for our company's monthly magazine, The FOCUS, interviewing employees and their special achievements, community work, etc.
Essilor was associated with one of several Pinellas
  more... County's community services called DOORWAYS. This was a mentoring program, such as Big Brothers/Big Sisters, which allowed me to sponsor 2 at-risk female teenagers over the course of several years.
I made many long lasting relationships that are active to this day.
I can truly say that I cannot remember this position being hard for me after I moved to the Packaging Dept. The first 2 months were the hardest, running and supplying the Assemblers and delivering monomer, the liquid polymer used to produce the lenses. I broke out in a severe rash after a couple of months caused directly by the liquid in it's virgin state. What I thought was the the end of my employment at Essilor turned into the most wonderful work experience of my life.
Pros
The company & management treated every employee with respect & value, offered classes to all employees who wanted to advance, high regard for customers & suppliers, high product standards, very good communication between all departments, regular company sponsored events, TEAMWORK was normal part of workplace, GREAT benefits & pay, GREAT company.
Cons
The ONLY thing I have to say is the off-shoring of the company, over 1, 600 employees lost their jobs, sad loss to the people and the community.
Innovators of giving the gift of sight
Finance Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 12, 2016
I love that this company is very cultural. I work with people from all walks of life, from various countries, and beliefs. Essilor's over all mission is to give people around the world the chance at better sight. They are have the patents on several products that have become a household name, such as Transition, Varilux, and Crizal. The hardest part of my current role is it requires more staffing than what's currently available. It has been a pleasure working for Essilor because they are involved in making sure their employees have an opportunity to move up in and make the most of your skills and talent.
Pros
Company picnics
Cons
Few opportunities for breaks
A dynamic company with a good management team
Research and Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 25, 2016
Essilor, a.k.a. EOA was one of the premier employers in
Pinellas County, FL. It was a fulfilling experience to be part of a very professional team.
A leader in the industry
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXSeptember 16, 2016
Working with Essilor was an amazing experience. Essilor's marketing department was very innovative and posed challenging projects that allowed me to learn at an accelerated speed.
Stay Away
Associate/ Certified Power Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXJuly 31, 2015
Modern day slavery warehouse. Inconsistent treatment. Manager to employee cliques and favoritism. Non English clear speaking management. Very poor work environment. Absolutely no job security or exceptions for life changing events or acts of God.
Pros
Benefits Package
Cons
Highly overworked for insufficent pay for a company so large and a cash based business
Very good smart intelligent people, Ability to show input into intiatives. Gives you the ability to maintain and manage your programs
Strategic Alliance Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 30, 2015
Not much in the way of career advancement programs. Not a big initiative of the company. Everyday there is something new that comes across with potential alliance partnerships that allow the company to grow through investment opportunities that keeps you on your sharp and on your toes. Working with legal to develop and execute agreements when terms and conditions for alliance/partnerships have been fully negotiated. Gained a large level of value in communication across various functions and with senior level executive management through trust building and consistent support and engagement. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationships built and quest for a common goal. To see individuals you manage grow as employees. Also, the gaining of trust of the senior Vps and well as the CFO. The ability to maintain continued YoY growth with a sound financial modeling approach. One last plus is the amount of frequent presentations required to upper-management down to the sales teams..
Very Nice people to work with
Sr. Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 18, 2016
I like the location of the company in the DFW area. I enjoy working with outside customers as well as inside. I worked eleven years at Essilor and liked the fact that they reward you on longevity.
Pros
Good Health Insurance
Cons
No cons
8-10hr days. Mon-Fri sometimes Sat. Morning meeting, then off to Inbound to put-away merchandise, then home.
Stock Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHMay 11, 2013
Morning meeting, then Ii would get on the cherry picker and get a skid full of merchandise and go down an empty aisle, with an RF scanner, and scan the product into a location.

Was cross-trained in every dept, but put-away was my main dept I reported to.

One 1hr lunch and two 15min breaks.

My co-workers were okay. Management was also okay.

The hardest part about the job was when a Chicago engineer came to look at how Essilor could improve the production numbers, The engineer turned the numbers into a percentage and raised them at the same time, and management never told anyone. People started getting fired and never knew why.

The most enjoyable part of the job was just being in an aisle putting away the material. Nobody could distract you because you were in an aisle by yourself. Sometimes if someone was in the next aisle we would see who could get their pallet of merchandise empty first.
Pros
having a job, making good money
Cons
Chicago engineer and management raising production numbers so nobody could get them.
Productive, fast paced with caring management
Backup Receiving Coordinator/ 5S Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 30, 2015
Daily striving to meet deadlines. Customer service and safety always top priority. Working all departments within my eleven years left me with an understanding of all hows and whys. This is a company that has employees in mind for advancement. Essilor is an ISO certified company which makes it easy for any new employee to have a good understanding on how to preform a job duty. Personally I never found any of my jobs to be hard. Management and employees were always ready with help or advice if needed. My personal pleasure with Essilor daily was knowing I could preform my job correctly and timely. Training other associates was always a thrill for me.
Pros
Nice breakroom, computer classes offered. Employee appreciation week.
Cons
Too much overtime. No problem with overtime except we had very few breaks from it
Wonderful place to work, only left because of relacation.
Data Entry Lead (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 20, 2014
Management both inside and outside of the building were wonderful to work with. I really did not want to leave, but the relocation was getting to be too much. I interacted daily with great co-workers and accounts. We would come in and get the work started for the rest of the lab to have work when they came in. Checking printers and fax machines for orders and making sure that all information that was given was accurate and could work with the products requested. The hardest part of the job was the travel. 800 miles per week. Crazy. The best, knowing that I helped customers get the services that they needed and wanted.
Pros
Wonderful benefits
Cons
Interactive with production departments allowing improvment for customer satisfaction.
Team Leader Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TxFebruary 27, 2012
This was my favorite job. With communication to production departments, our customer service team was able to voice and help find solutions to help the quality and upgrade the time frame of production. I believe we significantly improved concerns and discontent customers had by working together to clean up quality and speed up production time to help our customers be more competitive and all were then more profitable.
Pros
pay, benefits, daytime hours, communication, active, goals, acheivment.
Cons
location