Essilor of America, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

I LOVED MY JOB. Unfortunately, product lines off-shored to Mexico, Thailand, Brazil and Philippines. Lost position in 1995.
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  St Petersburg FLJuly 9, 2016
I started as a Assemblers' Helper, running parts/products to Assemblers. I was transferred to Packer after 2 months. Promoted to Inspector 1 year later. Was promoted to Anti-Reflective Coating Operator/Inpsector 2 years later. Was promoted on manager recommendation to Group Leader after 3 months. Was promoted to Supervisor after 2 years of GL. per Management peer group.
At peak employment, I supervised 65 employees in 3 departments on 2 shifts. I was responsible for everyone & everything within the Inpsection, Packaging and Shipping Depts. I had the responsibility of hiring, training employees as well as insuring employees safety was a first priority.
IDaily interaction with our QA, Engineering and Assembly departments was critical in assisting to produce high quality lenses to our customer specs.
I was also afforded the opportunity to spend several weeks in Manaus, Brazil at our facility in training local hires for our Inspection and Packaging lines.
I learned so much about the optical lens business. Essilor was SO GOOD to it's employees, offering continuing education, very good communication from Senior management to the newly hired employees. The company had a wonderful policy and mission statement. They invested in their employees to be #1 in the world and stay there. They strived to produce the best high quality optical lenses in the world
I was on the Safety Team; was a writer for our company's monthly magazine, The FOCUS, interviewing employees and their special achievements, community work, etc.
Essilor was associated with one of several Pinellas
  more... County's community services called DOORWAYS. This was a mentoring program, such as Big Brothers/Big Sisters, which allowed me to sponsor 2 at-risk female teenagers over the course of several years.
I made many long lasting relationships that are active to this day.
I can truly say that I cannot remember this position being hard for me after I moved to the Packaging Dept. The first 2 months were the hardest, running and supplying the Assemblers and delivering monomer, the liquid polymer used to produce the lenses. I broke out in a severe rash after a couple of months caused directly by the liquid in it's virgin state. What I thought was the the end of my employment at Essilor turned into the most wonderful work experience of my life.
Pros
The company & management treated every employee with respect & value, offered classes to all employees who wanted to advance, high regard for customers & suppliers, high product standards, very good communication between all departments, regular company sponsored events, TEAMWORK was normal part of workplace, GREAT benefits & pay, GREAT company.
Cons
The ONLY thing I have to say is the off-shoring of the company, over 1, 600 employees lost their jobs, sad loss to the people and the community.
Outstanding Company to Work With
Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 23, 2016
I spent the better part of 10 years with Essilor of America, Essilor Laboratories Division and advanced through the ranks based on performance to company goals. Essilor is a fair company to work with.
Pros
Great Compensation and Benefits Package
Cons
Hiring today seems to be focused on salary savings.
Very Nice people to work with
Sr. Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 18, 2016
I like the location of the company in the DFW area. I enjoy working with outside customers as well as inside. I worked eleven years at Essilor and liked the fact that they reward you on longevity.
Pros
Good Health Insurance
Cons
No cons
Innovators of giving the gift of sight
Finance Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 12, 2016
I love that this company is very cultural. I work with people from all walks of life, from various countries, and beliefs. Essilor's over all mission is to give people around the world the chance at better sight. They are have the patents on several products that have become a household name, such as Transition, Varilux, and Crizal. The hardest part of my current role is it requires more staffing than what's currently available. It has been a pleasure working for Essilor because they are involved in making sure their employees have an opportunity to move up in and make the most of your skills and talent.
Pros
Company picnics
Cons
Few opportunities for breaks
French culture with a Texas twist (imagine that)
Associate Director of Customer Development (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 27, 2016
Essilor is a moderately paced work environment that values diversity and has experienced strong and consistent growth for the past 2 decades. The company offers significant development opportunity and is relatively flat. Co-workers are largely collaborative and the company is surprisingly flat. To be successful in this matrixed organization, an individual must be good at developing coalitions and building consensus. Recently there seems to be a growth in the number of executive roles in the company which is making the organization a little top-heavy. Overall the company has been very good to me, offering me challenging roles and opportunities for development.
Pros
Entrepreneurial culture
Cons
Sometimes simple decision require a "committee" for approval
Challenging environment with new things to learn every day
Manager of Pricing Analytics (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 19, 2015
Enjoy working with multiple data systems and large datasets. Hardest part of job is receiving support for tough challenges and big decisions.
fun work place
lens selector (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHSeptember 14, 2015
like to go to work everyday because everybody like families. Superviser always there to make sure everybody are doing their job and follow the SOP. we all work together to make sure all jobs done the end of the day.
Hardest part was to walk 8 hours wshile picking orders
Most enjoyable is when everybody are always happy and making the workplace safe and fun.
Pros
$100 bonus every 3 month
Cons
health care not too good
Good Company overall
TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2015
Essilor its a good company but not much room to grow, I love to interact with costumers and i don't really get to do that there unless is over the phone.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
healthcare is very expensive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXSeptember 2, 2015
Co-workers were more like family
Answered numerous calls
Updated all accounts
Learned to multi-task
Expediting jobs through lab
Pros
Short lunches
Cons
Healthcare
Stay Away
Associate/ Certified Power Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXJuly 31, 2015
Modern day slavery warehouse. Inconsistent treatment. Manager to employee cliques and favoritism. Non English clear speaking management. Very poor work environment. Absolutely no job security or exceptions for life changing events or acts of God.
Pros
Benefits Package
Cons
Highly overworked for insufficent pay for a company so large and a cash based business
Very good smart intelligent people, Ability to show input into intiatives. Gives you the ability to maintain and manage your programs
Strategic Alliance Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 30, 2015
Not much in the way of career advancement programs. Not a big initiative of the company. Everyday there is something new that comes across with potential alliance partnerships that allow the company to grow through investment opportunities that keeps you on your sharp and on your toes. Working with legal to develop and execute agreements when terms and conditions for alliance/partnerships have been fully negotiated. Gained a large level of value in communication across various functions and with senior level executive management through trust building and consistent support and engagement. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationships built and quest for a common goal. To see individuals you manage grow as employees. Also, the gaining of trust of the senior Vps and well as the CFO. The ability to maintain continued YoY growth with a sound financial modeling approach. One last plus is the amount of frequent presentations required to upper-management down to the sales teams..
Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 28, 2015
Loved working here. Very relaxed placed, no managers down your neck. Your pretty much on your own. The work load was very hard but the pay and benefits made up for it.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Switched Managers too often
Poorly managed monopoly
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 14, 2015
The only reason this company survives is because it is a monopoly, if it had to really compete it would not survive. It survives by buying up its competition.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 27, 2015
Great experience and great work environment. It is a call center but has different requirements and standards. It teaches you how to multi task and how to complete daily task. Management works with you and helps out when needed.
Pros
not a busy call center
Cons
i do not have any cons
Good Place to Work
Quality Control Tech Lead III (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 1, 2015
Everyday is a new challenge and interesting production needs. Enjoyable atmosphere with easy going people to work with.
Productive, fast paced with caring management
Backup Receiving Coordinator/ 5S Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 30, 2015
Daily striving to meet deadlines. Customer service and safety always top priority. Working all departments within my eleven years left me with an understanding of all hows and whys. This is a company that has employees in mind for advancement. Essilor is an ISO certified company which makes it easy for any new employee to have a good understanding on how to preform a job duty. Personally I never found any of my jobs to be hard. Management and employees were always ready with help or advice if needed. My personal pleasure with Essilor daily was knowing I could preform my job correctly and timely. Training other associates was always a thrill for me.
Pros
nice breakroom, computer classes offered. employee appreciation week.
Cons
too much overtime. no problem with overtime except we had very few breaks from it
not enough hrs
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHJanuary 29, 2015
good job, but poor pay and and not enough hrs. Loved the different stores i worked at.
Pros
independant work schedule
Cons
not enough pay and hrs
Pretty good job for a warehouse
Outbound Associate (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHJanuary 21, 2015
Excellent pay, vacation and benefits. Management is more like babysitters. This place has the most aggressive production than any other pace I've ever worked at that will quickly weed out the ones that won't last. They do have regular potlucks and show their employees great apparition for good attendance, on Thanksgiving and Christmas with dinners and gift cards.
Pros
pay & benifits
Cons
very aggressive productio
Fun people to work with
Order Puller (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXDecember 28, 2014
Had a meeting before every shift. talked about the amount of work for the day. one of the worst management ever! Very strict and demanding and are willing to write up anyone at free will. Hardest part of job is the strict rules. Most enjoyable is co-workers.
Amazing opportunity
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 12, 2014
First full time job and this field was fast paced and innovative. The staff and I are still friends. Really liked learning and developing as an employee.
Pros
great advancement
Cons
company moved out of state