Estee Lauder

Estee Lauder Employee Reviews

Great Corporate Culture, but Managment promotes seniority over education/skill level
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYAugust 28, 2013
I’ve been with Estee Lauder for over 10 years now. I started and served as a Temporary full time employee in the Information Systems department, for 2 six month periods beginning from July 2003 to July 2004. I then remained in the same position, but was paid under a consulting agency (Randstad) for approximately another year and a ½. It wasn’t until January of 2006 that I was hired as a permanent employee of Estee Lauder, here in the Payroll department, in which I still currently work. Since 2006 I have excelled in my work performance year after year, and was inevitably promoted from a non-exempt coordinators position to an Exempt Administrators position. From July 2003 to approximately 2010, has been and amazing experience working for Estee Lauder. We have a strong corporate culture base, as well as excellent benefits and perquisites. The atmosphere on an organizational level has been remarkable. Estee Lauder continues to strive for excellence when I comes to becoming a more family oriented organization, i.e. the newly instated parental leave policies, enhanced dental benefits, etc. In addition, Estee Lauder continues to sustain its philanthropic reputation by maintaining its consistent charitable donations to various organizations and fundraisers for worthy causes.

I understand that every corporations’ management teams differ from one department to the next. However, in my experience with my department, as well as being informed by my colleagues in other departments, that management tends to promote individuals, not on the basis of performance and or educational accomplishments/
  more... skill level, but rather on seniority. In my situation, for example, I feel I have reached a structural plateau, where I feel that with my extensive work experience and rapid advancement, along with my educational accomplishments (attained both my under grad finance degree, as well as my Masters in Business Administration) while working full time in this department, I am at a standstill, when it comes to a promotion. In addition, many individuals tend to not cross train effectively, simply on the basis of job security reasons. The moment an individual senses a slight bit of intimidation (whether it be education, age, or skill level), they tend to cross train their colleagues with just the bare minimum, and refrain from helping the department as a whole and work as a team; all simply because of job security reasons.

Given the size of my department, 8 employees, I still feel that my superior is maintained in her position, solely because of her almost 20 plus years with the company, regardless of her lack of management, interpersonal skills, and communication ability. I feel that management, as a whole, should entice promoting their educated, young, and well skilled employees, rather than hold them back. I’ve heard from certain colleagues that even upper management tends to sustain particular individuals in their positions, even when they try to apply for other positions to advance their career. I am grateful for the new Performance Development Program that has just launched, and am hoping this program will prevent other individuals that are just beginning their careers with Estee Lauder from situations such as mine. On a more positive note, I am looking to advance my career within the company, because I do love their corporate strategies as a whole organization, however I am not refraining from looking outside Estee Lauder for other job opportunities as well.
Excellent learing experience and fun environment.
Counter Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 14, 2013
A typical day at work starts with checking my email to look for any updates or changes sent from corporate Then I call all customers that I have helped at the counter the day before and thank them for stopping in. After that I update my paperwork for the counter after the sales numbers are updated from the day before. I check my coworkers daily tracking sheet from the day before and type up my critiques and send them off to the Account Coordinator. I then go out into the store and walk around trying to recruit women to come to the counter by telling them about special offers to help drive sales and recruit new Estee Lauder customers. I have a conference call with the other managers and Account Executives and Coordinators. Throughout the day I continue to recruit and spend time with my coworker and coaching her. Coaching implies that I have to explain upcoming events, how we are going to prepare and execute, help her with her selling techniques and how to drive sales, and talk with her about her work performance. I also help customers and give them knowledge about our products. I give demonstrations with skincare and makeup.

Working as a counter manager at Estee Lauder has taught me how to functionally run a counter. It has strengthened my organization, teaching, and management skills.

I work partly for Belk, Inc. and Estee Lauder so I have several different managers. At Belk my management includes the department manager and the store manager. They are both very supportive and respect me in the way that they trust me and how I manage the counter. With Estee Lauder I answer
  more... to my Account Coordinator and the Account Executive. The Account Coordinator works with my team three times a month. She also communicates with me several times a day for a sale reading at certain hours and helps me with any questions I have. The Account Executive I see about six times a year. She has the overall say about each counter in the market and what should happen every month.

My co-workers respect me and my teachings. We are able to work as a team. They have no hesitation asking me questions regarding knowledge about an event, product, or even their daily required paperwork. I give my team praise and also teach them how to better the work that they are doing to get more clientele and produce more sales.

The hardest part of my job is making sure that my team stays focused when I am not there.

The most enjoyable part of my job is making women look and feel beautiful.
Pros
store discouts, gratis twice a year, and good benefits.
Cons
distance, inconsitant schedule, hours as late 12am immediately followed by opening at 5:45am.
Performing as a Estee Lauder Sales Representative and Makeup Artist
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 19, 2012
Carrying a bright smile and clean presentation through my friendly nature helps form an amiable atmosphere most everywhere I go. Being a sales representative consisted of creating the most pleasurable experience for her through immediate assistance, creating a conversation, and having ample product knowledgeable. Estee Lauder is such a prestigious line and offered powerful results to customers through the power of engagement with the customer through conversation about either her outfit, simply the weather, or the latest on fashion news. A typical day consisted of greeting and asserting the needs of each immediate customer, clerical duties, clientele chart keeping, answering the phone, emailing clients and my Regional Cosmetic Merchandisers, reporting to store manager Mondays on sales, promotional events, 3 to 4 facials and makeovers, opening credit cards, setting up innovative merchandising displays, and ultimately executing sales goals.

What I find to have been the hardest part of my job was being able to overlook the fact that everything I did had to be executed so perfectly or it was considered as a bad flawed job done on my behalf. Creating a relationship and recruiting customers via email or us postal was one of the most enjoyable and essential of my job! With my flexible personality, and genuine caring personality helps me to enjoy and love my job the most. I believe when I can present myself with enough love and respect others around me will in turn respect themselves and me, and in turn this makes my job most enjoyable.
Pros
free seminars, commission, gratis (free products)
Cons
no healthcare benefits
A day at Estee Lauder
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZApril 2, 2014
A typical day starts with opening the registers, and store meeting.
I walk the counter making sure we are customer ready.
I have learned so very much with Estee Lauder, Learning to put the customer first, working on her agenda, not mine.
"Estee Lauder philosophy is to help every woman look and feel her most beautiful by providing a personalized experience and recommending the best products for her."
I may have pre-booked appointments, so will research my clients to review their needs. I will call clients to say Thank You.
We may get a truck, that involves pricing and putting away stock, reviewing the customers waiting list, call if their products came in. The hardest part of my job is events, even though it is expected to be busy, sometimes there is not enough time to work with each client. Booking a follow up appointment where I can treat her to a
3 minute Beauty tip or spa appointment.
My co-workers and managers are amazing they step in and help out when times are busy. we support each other.
It is most rewarding when a client returns to show me the results of using her personalized skincare.
Pros
excellent estee lauder training, customer loyaty
Cons
not enough hours to cover the department, management e-mail access only on office computer off the sales floor
Fun and productive
Event Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami and Ft LauderdaleSeptember 25, 2012
A typical day at work is filled with exciting things, because its in an exciting environment, the products sell themselves. Its the beauty industry and who does not want to look beautiful. The fun part is that I got paid and very well at that, to make women feel good about themselves and their purchases. I would travel to various retail stores to set up for Beauty events, which included signage, tables, product, and worked along with the team at the store to sell product. Management had a very good way of difusing any stress and pressure to perform, because everyone wore a beauty smile and made it work as a team effort, and the sales goals were exceeded. There was a good vibe amongst the coworkers, mutual respect for each other. The hardest part of the job was felt at the end of the work day when you got home, after the rush of excitement and the shoes came off from the long hours on your feet. But in the beauty business you should know what to do to bounce back just as bright and beautiful the next day. The most enjoyable part of the job was servicing a very satisfied customer, have a high sales day at the events that exceeded goals.
Pros
lots and lots of beauty products
Cons
all your friends want free stuff and samples
A job that requires novice make-up skills. A fun team to work with with multiple working enviornments
Make-up Artist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2012
Everyday is different since I am on a traveling team. We usually go in teams around Illinois to different events such as; fashion shows, mall events, and trend shows. I will have clientele and new customers sit in my chair to get a consultation for the entire 8 hour day. During a consultation I try to sell the products I am applying to my client while maintaining a positive conversation and relaxing experience for each person. If an event was slow, I would use my marketing skills to attract new clients to Estee Lauder. If I were to get a new client, they would sit down in my chair and the consulting process would begin. The team includes 15 women, who are all wonderful. The management is great too since we all have similar personalities, and can have fun while we are working. The best part of the job is that the hours are flexible, and establishing relationships with multiple people in the industry, and outside of the industry. The hardest part, which is not a big deal, is traveling to the farthest places from where I live in Illinois.
No Means Next
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 6, 2016
-Estee Lauder is a great company to work for and holds a beautiful story behind it. This woman had a dream and a passion for cosmetics, and she went for it! This company is constantly growing, and has many other brands on board.
-Job is very hands on, introducing skincare and make up tutorials is crucial in building business.
-Having great customer skills, and building lasting connections. The customer overall experience is important, it is what sets you apart from the competition.
-Coworkers are generally ok, in the cosmetics department it is hard to have positive relationships. Others like to gossip, or walk away with your business, which means your counter loses $$. It is better to keep to yourself.
-Management is completely unorganized at Macy's not Estee Lauder. That is what has made it most difficult to work for this cosmetics brand. I was not in love with my work environment. There was a lack of care for employees.
-The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people and building business, just watching all the hard work turn into positive growth made me feel proud.
Easiest job in usa
credit evaluator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, PAMarch 2, 2013
I am working at "PALC" of 'Estee Lauder' in bristol pa usa. I think.this is the easiest job in in USA, I am works like on call. It is a part time work. Starting pay is $7:60. The pay will increase after worked 260 hours. When we doing this job, we can apply for full time jobs in the same company when opening are posted. It is considering by seniority. All employees in this company can buy Estee Lauder's product from company's outlet . Prize is very cheap and employees get 40% off in all products. We don't need to work 5 days a week. We have to work at least 3 days a week. There is lot of safety programs.Supervisors and all officers are very friendly. Basic computer skills needed for this job. We can apply for job in this company. Application forms are available at 250 ritten house circle, bristol pa 19007 USA. We have 10 minutes break at a shift. If there is more work, the company will allow workers to do both shifts ,Am and pm. Am shift starts from 7:30 am and ends at 11:30am. Pm shift starts at 12:15pm and ends at 4:15pm.
STRICT but enjoyable
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOSeptember 21, 2015
If you are a makeup enthusiast like me, this may be a great job to get your foot in the door of the beauty industry, but not a place for you to necessarily show your creative makeup skills. The sales goals were very strict, and when you work in a mall that is not that busy and for a short shift, it is very difficult to meet those goals. My coworkers were very fair and honest and not at all cutthroat, despite it being a commissioned job. The hardest part of this job by far was PRE-SELLING THE FREE GIFT WITH PURCHASE. Pre-selling started a few weeks after my first day on the sales floor. As you can imagine, I hadn't had a good clientele that new me and my name. As a new BA, with not that many clients of your own, it was very difficult to get customers to shop with me over the phone. I honestly think that with a better set of circumstances I could've stuck it out with this job, though.
Pros
Playing with makeup, paid 30 minute breaks, good pay
Cons
Very strict sales goals, can be stressful
Great First Real Job
Network Securiy (Former Employee) –  melville, nySeptember 4, 2014
Typical Day started at 6am, scheduling the VP's day, travel, meetings, in between interning, going to school full-time I was working 40 hours a week and managed to get s promotion after two years! I worked for the VP of Internal Security and was basically a watchdog for the employees under him. I handled most new employee paperwork. Time cards, Misc reports.

Once being promoted my main job was to be big brother and make sure employes were not spending too many hours online or on inappropriate sites. I helped he IT department build computers and would use Wedbtrends to track anything that seemed specious,

The hardest part of the job was the building PC's, I would say the easiest and most interesting was the reports on internet usage,
Pros
free lunch, great benefits, great pay for a college job
Cons
long hours for my busy schedule
Exciting, Fun, Challenging, and Creative Work!
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 11, 2012
I enjoy working for Estee Lauder because I am able to make people feel amazing about them selves. Whether Im making a sale or not I am able to educate people about their skin, make up, and ways to highlight their beauty.

On a regular day I come to work and begin my day by prepairing my makeup brushes, targeting my daily goals, and experimenting with the many customers of all walks of life with makeup, skin care, and the various perfume collections Estee has to offer.

Everyday I learn something new with the customers and the many products we sell at Estee. The counter manager usually has a quick update when I arrive to work of what our goals are and any updates. Its a fun work place for a person who loves customer interaction and product knowledge.
Pros
exciting to make people look and feel their most beautiful
Cons
i love the challenge of meeting set goals but unfortunatley it isnt always this way
If you don't mind working 6 days a week for little money.
Beauty Associate (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMay 8, 2012
The business is slow and numbers are down for the year. Not to many walk up clients. Most people not spending a lot on cosmetics unless there is a free sample with their purchase.

Management: They never know whats going on. They do not follow through with information from executive to associate level. I am bored now with the job there no perks. The goals they want us to accomplish are almost difficult because they are taking the customer favorite products and incentives away.

The most enjoyable part is when someone lets me do a full cosmetic make over on them and they are so happy on how they now look after a make up session that they are teary of joy. I love to service my customers.
Pros
free cosmetics
Cons
no advancement, price points, customer base leaving, unflattering unifrom
Review of Daily Responsibilities
Counter Manager (Current Employee) –  Paris, TNFebruary 1, 2014
• Coordinating and maintaining floor and stock areas consistent with store standards in presentation and hygiene requirements
• Unpacking new merchandise deliveries in a timely manner should be stored in a place that does not obstruct customer access to the department
• Ensuring timely set-up including signage for promotional events
• Following procedures for all systems including AIR, counts, markdowns, retickets, inventory control, and RTV’s
• Maintaining store and vendor professional dress standards (uniforms) and appearance
• Cooperating with fellow associates and management
• Complying with store policies concerning attendance, tardiness, and associate handbook
• Accepting additional duties or share responsibilities during busy times and/or as requested by Area Sales Manager/Merchandise Coordinator/Store Manager
• Assisting with all non-sell duties as assigned by Counter Manager/Area Sales Manager/Merchandise Coordinator/Store Manager where appropriate
• Maintaining open lines of communication with store management, account executive, and vendor management
Pros
gets free samples of products
Cons
none!
MAC Artist
MAC Artist (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMarch 4, 2015
A typical day at work entails having a pristine image and outstanding customer service. I work in both sales as well as makeup application and education to clients and customers alike.

I have learned so many things working here, including how to increase and maintain sales goals, a detailed and ever expanding knowledge and execution of makeup and cosmetic trends.

Management is excellent, and are all a part of the team on a daily basis. There is a Retail Manager, Assistant Retail Manager, Operations manager, and three Third Key (key holders).

The hardest part of the job is being on my feet running around for 8 consecutive hours. It is not terrible, and I certainly enjoy being active and productive.

The most enjoyable part of the job is bringing joy and confidence to my clients. Being able to educate and enhance their inner and outer beauty making their confidence soar.
Pros
coworkers, interactive work environment, education, environment
Cons
strict sheduling
Best Job .
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Melville New YorkAugust 16, 2013
Great company to work for, left because of relocation.
Typical work day busy applying cash and wires to the account I was assigned to and learned how to work as a team player,
Management gave me the opportunity to generate the way I utilized my job getting it done efficiently and in a timely fashion .Respected my opinion.Learned to work on Sap systems .customer service skill, on the job training classes (Word ,Excel, Outlook),Data Entry, Great co-workers relationships over 28 years.The hardest part of the job was end of month reporting,balancing all the accounts,closing and reconciling with all Finance Dept.The Knowledge of Accounts Receivable,Payable,and Collection experience was the best in all my years with the compan..
Pros
discounts on all merchandise
Cons
only summer early hrs on fr. when systems were done no work could get done..very frustrating.
Promotional Makeup Artist
Promotion Assistant, Make-up-Artist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 13, 2012
I loved working in different department stores cosmetic counters throughout both the East and West Coasts of Florida.

I won competitions for selling the most product.

The work specifically was during promotions in new color etc. Bringing the new and the present cosmetics together while demonstrating the lines through make overs.

Estee Lauder has an extremely wonderful line of color, treatment and fragrance.

Truly loved working for the company and always loved the positions I was given. I was given positions where I could really prove my talents. I am very grateful for this.
Pros
very sharp uniforms, this wonderful gratis given allows you to use it, to be able to sell her line.
Cons
work was not consistent with this position. however, i was in college at the time. i wanted this type of work.
Enjoyed my customers and the ladies I managed very much!!!
Selling Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 31, 2015
Drove and increased retail sales as well as built in-store relationship with all levels of management and selling teams.
• Developed and implemented a Special Events Calendar, along with merchandising objectives. Created incentive programs with the entire store staff to drive sales.
• Recruited, trained, motivated, and developed an Estee Lauder sales team and other cosmetics sales staff in the company’s product knowledge and selling techniques.
• Responsible for evaluating job performance for all E.L. staff; to include growth plans and coaching for Beauty Advisors.
• Successfully worked in a highly competitive, fast paced environment with strong managerial skills. Experience with retail sales and inventory reports.
Pros
my team, the experience, the industry
Extreme pressure causes negative results in cosmetics dept.
COUNTER MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Bala-Cynwyd, PAJuly 6, 2012
My day consists of an extrem amount of management pressure. I recruit women for makeovers. sell products order for the counter. Rarely do I get what I need in my orders causing me and the counter to lose sales. Our schedules are rolling and we are rarely allowed to change them. There is no balance in our lives. The GM expects us to live our jobs. this does not provide a positive environment. The women in the cosmetic dept. dread coming to work and therefore production is down. At least three people have left or given notice in the past two weeks.
Cons
negative environment.
Director of AR needs to go
Credit and collections coordinator (Current Employee) –  MelvilleMarch 9, 2014
HR needs to have someone evaluate what management of AR is not doing. They BS all day and stress out the employees but allow their friend who works in the dept. come and go as they please. Also, Exec. Director too busy making friends with the young people on facebook to include hanging out... There you go advancement....PAY ATTENTION TO THE EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE WORKED THERE FOREVER AND ARE TREATED NOT SO WELL. Hmmm could that be because they aren't in their 20's sounds like an issue.
Pros
gratis
Cons
management, their best interest is themselves not the company.
A positive experience will be contingent upon role and department
Design Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2014
It's easy to get stuck in a corner with no recognition or career advancement if you are not paired with the right manager, not working in a good department, or lack exposure to senior leadership.

Many outdated practices and processes, which are not consistent across all brands (or even teams within brands).
Pros
many opportunities for education, inclusion initiatives, and community outreach within company; company store and gratis.
Cons
crowded office space that is not well kept, weak brand strategies on certain brands, low morale is widespread in some departments.

4.2