Located near O'Hare Airport.
The General Manager will assist in Company planning, goal setting and plan execution to achieve the results identified in consultation with the Company Board. The General Manager will report directly to the President on a routine basis and to the entire Board on an established schedule.
To be successful in this role, the General Manager will need demonstrated expertise in strategic and operational planning, management of day to day operations, financial analysis, employee relations and development, and the ability to create and maintain productive key customer, vendor and bank relationships.
- Directs internal operations to achieve budgeted results, positive cash flow and other financial criteria, and to preserve and grow the capital funds invested in the enterprise
- Develops and prepares the organization’s short-term and long-range plans, operational and capital budgets, sales goals, strategies and accountability metrics and recommends their adoption to ownership
- Directs and manages the organization’s sales activities, business development and marketing including evaluation of existing sales personnel, hiring of new sales personnel, market strategy, new account procurement to promote managed growth in accordance with ownership’s objectives
- Directs and manages all personnel, systems and processes to ensure the organization has the right staff in place to be successful, that the staff are aligned and working together to achieve our goals, ensure the organization has the systems and processes (financial, production, safety, compliance, administration and personnel) in place that best facilitate the company’s short and long term growth objectives
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Planning Administration and Leadership
- Provide leadership and vision to the organization by proposing to the Board for approval the strategic and annual operational plans and providing the effective leadership within the Company to achieve the stated goals of the plans.
- Provide Capitalization plans to the Board for approval including but not limited to improvements in facilities and equipment.
- Provide progress and variance reports to President on a weekly basis.
- Prepare an Annual Report summarizing progress and recommendations on short and long range plans.
- Working with the Production Manager, ensure most cost effective standards of production balanced against quality and timeliness of production are identified, implemented and maintained
- Oversee manufacturing, materials, and logistics departments to review production and operating reports and resolve operational, manufacturing, delivery and facility problems to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays and to meet future growth.
- Ensure inventory purchases are within stated company standards and that inventory levels are balanced to business conditions and cash availability
- Ensure the accurate documentation of production and quality control data and records.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory safety standards at all times
- Provide President with report of Key Performance Indicators within the identified parameters of content and frequency
- Oversee preparation of annual budget and monthly variance statements
- Ensure Company is acquiring raw materials within the purchasing standards
- Ensure the integrity and currency of all financial records and the efficient operation within established procedures of all finance functions including but not limited to AR, AP, GL and Payroll
- Provide long-range fiscal planning to ensure the achievement of company growth goals
- Provide recommendations regarding effective utilization of long and short term debt, purchasing of materials and equipment, and submittal for capital expenditures.
Human Resources Management
- Ensure that all positions within the Company are filled with the best suited personnel to the needs of the positions. This will include all that is required for proper position definition, candidate recruitment and screening, and ongoing performance evaluations and employee development
- Ensure that Employee Handbook, safety standards and communications are kept current, accurate and in conformance with Company standards, legal and regulatory requirements.
Marketing and Sales
- Working with the Sales staff, develop and propose to the President and Board an annual Sales and Marketing Plan
- Ensure that the Company achieves its sales targets
- Oversee content, production and distribution of all marketing and publicity materials (website, posters, flyers, mail outs, brochures etc.)
Authorities of the General Manager
The General Manager has ultimate responsibility and authority for all day to day activities and Profit and Loss management. The following are areas in which the General Manager does not have complete authority.
- Strategic and annual operating plans and capital and operating budgets are to be approved by the President and Board
- Changes in financing relationships and arrangements are subject to approval by the President (no authority to sign new financing agreements.)
- Unbudgeted expenditures in excess of $25,000 must be approved by the President
- Exercise of the credit insurance policy must be done with approval of the President
- Routine steel purchases must be done in consultation with production and sales managers
- Strategic steel purchases must be done in consultation with production and sales managers and the President. President must approve the purchase.
Experience and Education
- Must have demonstrated success in leading a manufacturing or processing company or division
- Must have demonstrated success in supervising a wide range of positions in a manufacturing environment
- Must have demonstrated success in financial analysis in a manufacturing environment
- Must have demonstrated success in overseeing Marketing and Sales functions, preferred in a manufacturing environment
- Prefer experience in inventory/purchasing control
- Bachelor’s degree required (B.A./B.S.); four to ten years related experience and/or training; Prior Finance or Production Management experience required preferably in a manufacturing environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Goal/Results Oriented
- Successfully handle crisis and conflict situations
- Well organized and able to move multiple projects ahead concurrently
- Able to effectively communicate with wide range of people in different positions
- Ability to develop the skills and competencies of others
- Demonstrated successful leadership