European Wax Center Employee Reviews

Don't Stay Here Too Long
Reservation Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2017
I have been working here for a little over 6 months and I am ready to leave. I work in the call center, which customers hate and most of the management treats us like they do not need us. The room I work in smells of mold contamination and the employees have been complaining about it for months. One person even quit because they got sick all the time from it. The management seem at odds with each other. The pay is bare minimum and they will make you run in circles for a raise. The work place moral is poor which is not good for customer service. There is no break room and the owners clearly do not care about the reservation center or the health and safety of its employees. The work is monotonous and there is no way to progress even though they said we could get trained as guest service reps. That never happened.
Wax Service Associate
Wax Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAFebruary 8, 2017
Since the companies' individual locations are franchised, most of them only carry minimal benefits. The work culture is great, but more support for the advancement of employees is needed. The majority of what you are paid comes from customer gratuities, without them technicians would not be able to make a living wage.
Pros
Commission + Hourly
Cons
No Benefits for part time employees, meager pay structure.
Good place for new estheticians
Wax Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 7, 2017
The company is good for people just starting out. But the company is too money hungry. They focus too much on numbers and product sells. The major problem is not getting breaks on the weekdays and not having a break room. On a positive note there is continuous training available to you for as long as you work there. The management is good and my coworkers are awesome . There is a lot of dishonesty when it comes to recruiting. They don't tell you that if you want to take off that you have to find coverage even if its months in advance. They lied about the salary
Pros
Free waxing, free lunch 2xmontly, continuous training
Cons
No breaks, no health care
Horrible experience
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Leawood, KSFebruary 16, 2017
Horrible company very unprofessional. Management is terrible they was very unorganized and the owner's didn't care about there employers. The culture was horrible they showed favoritism.
Pros
N/A
Cons
No break, no raises, horrible management
Great Co-workers, fun guests, terrible management
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILAugust 3, 2016
Management and owners take poor care of their employees, offer little to no benefits and are miserly about raises. They provide little to no recognition for employees who go above and beyond what is required of their duties and will attempt to take advantage of you. Working for the locations Lincoln Park East, Old Town, Streeter illegal, South Loop, West Loop and Lincoln Square (Owned by the same franchisee and employees often rotate around locations), you will find disorganization, rules violations, non motivated management, and poor morale amongst workers. Stay far away.
Pros
Between 6 locations it's easy to get hours
Cons
No breaks, no break rooms, no sense of security, no benefits, poor health care options
Mostly an awesome job
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Simsbury, CTNovember 16, 2016
I worked for European Wax Center for about 9 months. The team was awesome and definitely a close knit work family. Manager was amazing and was very understanding, giving, and kind. Professional and willing to work with you. However, employees are mostly viewed as money makers and if you have trouble some days making sales, you are put on display and can be let go for not selling the amount acceptable to the owner.
Pros
Management, co workers, free waxing, customer relationships, commission
Cons
Sales oriented, low pay, sometimes no lunch breaks, no break room, work harder than you should for your pay rate
Easy job, terrible managememt
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Canton, MINovember 25, 2016
The job is pretty good and very straight forward. You constantly have to sell, it is a selling position. You work very hard to meet their goals and standards and only receive about 2% commission (which is what corporate recommends). Compensation is very minimal for all the things they make you do. Management is terrible and does not know how to properly schedule shifts, make it very difficult to get a day off, and they play favorites. Overall, if management was better, then the job would be better.
Pros
Discounted services, short shifts
Cons
Management doesn't know what they are doing
An okay place to work.
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 12, 2016
Being Encore owned they work very differently than other EWC's. new management had some awful structures on how you got booked and if you got raises and ridiculous goals. Over all I enjoyed working there. Loved the girls I worked with and the hours. Schedule is not as flexible as I would have liked.
Cons
Odd Structures.
Great employees terrible management and products
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2016
I enjoyed everyone I worked with but management was wishy washy, no benefits until you worked there forever and who wants to do that ? Also customers were rude, didn't like how it was like an assembly line for waxing, the area I was in most people want organic skincare and EWC seriously needs to consider looking into, I even mentioned that several times and of course why would they listen to a trained esthetician. Thing is if you love waxing then pursue this if not pursue skincare and maybe sugaring instead of a place that douses their customers in chemicals and wax that rips of their skin.
Cons
No benefits, guilt tripping
Great entry level wax position
Orange level waxer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 14, 2016
If you are looking to learn speed waxing a build a clientele, EWC is a great place to start. With that being said, you need to know owners and management most often do not come from the esthetics world; hence your support team are the other estheticians you work with... most of them become family to you. There is great emphasis on sales of products; keeping service times within set limits, and selling add on services without going over your time. There are no benefits offered.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
If you prefer being over worked for little pay....
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 23, 2017
The amount of turnover in this company is absurd. Co-workers would be willing to throw other associates "under the bus" in order to save their own behind. Some of the management within the company degrades employees. This position as well as the waxing position is overworked with little pay, and had small commission payouts. The work environment was always stressful when dealing with unprofessional management. You also need to have a strong backbone when handling impertinent guests when being a guest service associate.

This job would be good for those who are in school, and need a part-time job to get you by with some income; however, it is not a job to be working full time.
Interesting work environment, Never a dull moment
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  4s ranchDecember 22, 2016
a typical day is coming into work and clocking in, setting up your wax suite for the day. You would do anywhere from 2-13 services a day from eyebrows to Brazilians. The actual job itself was very fun and i loved everyone that i met and my coworkers were all amazing supportive woman. Management was not the best, I felt very micromanaged and the way i was spoken to was very condescending and management was very young.The hardest part of the job is some days you would fall behind and it would cause you to be late with your guests but its a fairly easy and enjoyable job that has the potential to pay very well.
Pros
free body waxing, discount on product
Cons
management
Great client relationships, overbearing management and goals
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 31, 2017
Typical day at work includes getting to work 30 mins before your shift and letting your wax warm up, greeting guests and performing waxes on them. at the end of your shift you clean your room, turn off your wax pot and leave. What I learned from this company was extremely useful waxing techniques and patterns. Management at my specific location was horrendous. While I understand one bad manager does not speak for the company I just could not come to terms with the way her employees, including me were being treated. We would receive multiple emails everyday with requests for how we feel about obvious things that could have been taken care of within one meeting. The hardest part of the job was the goals aspect, while i enjoy being pushed the goals that were set had unrealistic expectations. The most enjoyable part of my job was co-worker interactions and building relationships with my guests as well as waxing.
Pros
Co-workers, guests and waxing
Cons
management and goals
Highway Robbery
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2016
If you're straight out of esthetics school it's fine to gain experience. But 5%com. On services is a waste of time. Other spas and waxing facilities will offer 40% com. On services. They don't give you benefits unless you've been working full time for a year. Management is horrible.
Pros
Great for gettin started
Cons
Everything else is horrible management pay environment.
Overall- Enjoyed
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 22, 2017
I'm big on management. Just was not the best at this location. Always was on FB in the back office. Not too excited about having to come to the front to help out when we were busy or to leave the back in general besides to go home. Sure was big on sales though, only because it affected the paycheck. Sweet personality though. So much potential at this EWC! The GSAs and Wax Specialists were great though! I would recommend working at EWC, I'm sure you will have better luck on the management side.
Pros
Half off services, free eyebrow waxes
Cons
management, starting pay
A great stepping stone
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJanuary 14, 2017
Here's the thing. Ewc is a franchise so really your experience is based off of the franchisee.Every center is different when it comes to management and how it's ran. Pay is also based off of franchisee. Most give you 5% commission off services but apparently Some do 10%. Also you start at minimum wage but you can also get raises or bonuses... once again each center will be different. I have worked for three different Ewc owners at several locations and states and it truly makes or breaks the experience. EWC's are popping up everywhere so it's kinda nice that you can easily relocate if your young and looking to do some traveling as I did. The clients are great and they usually love you and are very thankful for you ( if your a good waxer ) I made great tips!! the down side is that most centers are ran like a sweat shop. Literally. You have 15 min for a service but yet your guests love to show up and then ask to use the restroom once they enter the room, then they come back in and sit down to untie their shoes meanwhile your heart is racing knowing you now have 7 minutes to complete a Brazilian .... sure enough your pager goes off and your next client is waiting for you... your on the butt strip and your pager goes off again, now your walking your client to the front and you have to suggest products, meanwhile your next guest is giving you the death look because she has now been waiting 4 minutes and you know your going to keep running behind till you have a no show or an upper lip appointment. Basically the stress level is at a 10 hands down 75% of the time. But that's also only  more... once you get busy, takes a bit till you build your repeat request. Also the tables don't go up and down so you bend over a lot. There is no padding on the floors in any location that I am aware of so your lower back kills by the end of a shift. Waxing 10-25 people a day does serious damage to your shoulder and body, I highly recommend stretching as much as possible throughout shift. Lastly the products changed in the last year. They USED to be GREAT, now they are pretty BAD. The packaging looks like Victoria secret and they reek of floral bs. The company went cheap, they got rid of the effective ingredients and switched them out for cheaper less effective ingredients. Bold move if I do say so myself. The industry is changing and people now have the internet and they know what they are putting on their skin, so for the company to change the products the way they did and at such a time was really just a way of saying it's not about your skin at all and all about our pocket book. Many of my clients stopped buying the products and started making their own via Pinterest and coconut oil fads. If you can't sell you won't hit goals, you don't hit goals, you don't get raises... so basically you bite your lip and you sell something that you as a professional would never actually use on yourself! The real question is.....are you someone who is comfortable with the human body? All shapes? Sizes? Genders? And hygiene!?!?!  less
Pros
Your co workers are your best friends! Fun with the guests and good waxing experience.
Cons
Poor pay structure. Poor products. Unrealistic expectations
Wouldn't work here
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 19, 2016
They want you to work for next to nothing. Only giving you 5% of each service! Management is a joke and owners too. This management will throw under the bus in a heart beat. My schedule changed several times with a day notice. Put my regular cleints on another waxer schedule with out telling me or the guest. I got told if I didn't do the wax fast enough, I was fired. Or sale. Does not care for the employees.
Pros
Customers and the wax
Cons
Very low pay and management
Productive and fun work place
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day at work would consist of reviewing the books/making changes and managing appointments. Greeting guests and checking them in for their reservation. My co-workers were great and management was good. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking care of our guest and making sure they had an excellent experience.
Pros
50% off of waxing services
Cons
Short breaks
Productive, nurturing atmosphere
Wax Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 8, 2017
Enjoy the atmosphere and possibilities at education and advancement that a career with European Wax Centre has provided me. I feel as though my experience and knowledge are treated as an asset to the team at European Wax Centre.
Pros
Schedule, advancement
Cons
breaks, difficulty with getting ime off when booking months in advance.
The products and services are great!
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CADecember 22, 2016
I love this company, the brand and all the products and services. The waxers are great, and I really enjoy all of the staff. But the pay rates are unreasonable for anyone who is trying to support themselves financially.
Pros
discounts on products and services, great co-workers, some time free waxes
Cons
compensation rates, no benefits, potential OSHA standard offenses.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at European Wax Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6