European Wax Center

European Wax Center Employer Reviews

All about sales and numbers
Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 24, 2014
Cons: see entire post
I worked for EWC for over 3 years.

EWC's are ALL about SALES and NUMBERS and less about the employees and customers.

Our particular owner micro-managed you 100% of the day. Cameras and microphone on you at all times. So if you even THINK about making a mistake, forget about it. Everything you do and say was on tape.. lobby, breakroom, hallways...

You – more... want a day off as a waxer?? You need a 30 day notice! You want to call out sick?? Well you can just forget about that too!

You will make GOOD money as a waxer but you must HUSTLE! All day long. On your feet for 8 hours a day with MINIMAL breaks. As a GSA (guest service associate) you will also make great money if your manager/owner has a good incentive program.

I hope you like memorizing over 50 scripts as a waxer or gsa. Every single thing you say to the customer will be scripted. Your sales pitch, your check in and check out, even the way you explain the products and technique, will all be scripted. Granted, some of the owners are not as forceful with the scripts as other owners. But remember, you are working for a corporation, so it will all be very similar.

As a GSA you will have to give about 6 rebuttals anytime someone says NO to you. Oh you don't want a wax pass? Well that is too bad because you are going to purchase one before you leave the building. Oh you don't need the ingrown hair serum?? Well those ingrowns on your bikini tell me something different. Oh you don't have the money to buy an $800 wax pass? No problem, we will split the payments up. Just give me your credit card and we will take care of the rest.

Again, SALES SALES SALES. If you live for selling and demeaning customers so you can make more money, then this is the job for you!

I know you are probably thinking "well you were there for 3 years so it couldn't have been that bad." We had a joke at our EWC.. "EWC is like a bad relationship, it somehow manages to pull you back in every time you are ready to leave." So yes I stayed because I was making the best money I could at the time.

Personally, if you are an ethetician, you can find a much better job where they value you. Sure you will make great money, but is it worth your soul?

Indeed says I should mention the most enjoyable part of the job. Funny, I can't seem to recall any enjoyable moments.. oh wait, now I remember. The most enjoyable part of working for EWC was the day I quit.

Go ahead and take the job. Just know when you realize what a disaster it is, I will be in your head saying "I told you so"...

There is a reason that all EWCs have a constant swinging door and a HUGE turn over rate.

Good luck but I hope you keep on looking!!!! – less
Productive and fun work place
Assistant Manager after 4 month (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 19, 2014
Pros: incentive sales commission.
Cons: no benefits
Fast paced work environment.
Great costumer service.
Great coworkers.
easy going work enviorment with potential to create own bussiness
Wax Specialist (Current Employee), foster city, CAOctober 16, 2014
great place to work, flexiable work scheduale, great co workers, understanding manager.
Very busy a lot of time is spent on the phone and talking to guest
Guest Services Associate (Current Employee), Fair Oaks, CAOctober 11, 2014
Pros: flexible with hours
Cons: if you do not sell enough you will not receive any of your commission
You are typically on the phone or checking in and out guest. You are mangaging schedules by booking appointments. A large part of the job is selling passes, that your comission a large part of your check.
Fast paced, constantly changing
Customer Service/Call Center (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 8, 2014
Management always proposed new and innovative ideas for a more productive workplace.
managment is horrible
Esthetician (Former Employee), Brea, CAOctober 7, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: work you like a salve in a sweat shop
I was on medical leave and they let me go because of that. I loved making woman feel beautiful is why i stayed. However they dont care about your well being at all. All the want is to hard sell products
Nice place to start your esthetic career
Wax Specialist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2014
Its an ok company to start when youre a newly licensed esthetician, you'll be waxing a lot. However, compensation is low, they work you like a slave sometimes, management is out of touch with consumers and micromanages employees.
overall not satisfied
Esthetician (Current Employee), Redwood City, CAOctober 4, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no benefits what so ever
A typical day would consist of seeing between 15-25 guest. I learned how to listen and show excellent customer service, which would make the guest continue requesting me. Fellow employees did not communicate. Management was rarely seen. The hardest part of my job was the commute and having no benefits. Its hard to see a future with a company when there – more... are no long term benefits. – less
Interesting Experience
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: great coworkers, overall fun environment
Cons: hours, favoritism
The job itself was easy, but beware of favoritism. Everything is scripted which annoys the customers, but once you get used to it you're home free. Starting wages are higher than average which is always a plus. They do not like scheduling you in for lots of shifts unless you are higher up.
Good place to start
Wax Specialist (Former Employee), Brookhaven, GASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: training
Cons: no breaks, benefits or room for advancement
Great training for a future career
No breaks, benefits or room for advancement
A HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT-VERY DISILLUSIONED!
Wax Specialist (Former Employee), Merrick, NYSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: ok for a first job to start in this industry
Cons: too many to list!
I started working due to the lauch of a EWC store and was full of hope and excitement. I paid a hefty amount for my Esthetics course and expected a dignified salary but very quickly saw that the salary discussed during the interview was not accurate. The base salary is very low and the commission on both services & retail sales was modest. I worked – more... very hard and dependend on my tips to feel that together with my base pay I had some type of salary. This was an ok position for someone starting out and trying to gain industry experience but they do not offer any benefits to the waxers. Most of the girls on staff are young and could hardly get by on this salary and had second jobs. I toughed it out as I'm married and my husband is the actual bread winner with a competitive salary. I was focused on getting experience and waiting to move on when the right opportunity presented itself. One major dissapointment was the difficulty in having time off as you have to find coverage if you want off it's all on you to accomplish it. If you cover for someone they may cover for you in return. This is difficult as everyone needs their two days off and there wasn't a day I didn't have an e-mail from someone asking for coverage. Management also contantly asking if anyone wanted to work/cover on their days off and this started to get very annoying. There was no paid time off, no sick days, nothing! I was taken back by management turning a blind eye to numerous employees smoking marijuana while on the clock. When I became aware I was not proud to be part of this organization and knew I was on my way out after this realization. I wish they had random drug testing. We also had a problem with waxers not working with their licenses in order, and if the State was to come in unannounced the store would be shut down immediately. A waxer without a license received a promotion much to everyone's dismay! – less
Sales driven, team environment with high volume customer base
Location Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: bi-weekly and monthly bonus opportunities
Cons: limited creative freedom
Routine responsibilities included creating staff schedules based on high volume trends with our customers reservations, meeting with staff members daily to review their performance based off customer satisfaction surveys and sales goal achievement. Conducted weekly inventories to combat any internal theft, and ensure the flow of the salon with properly – more... stocked wax suites at all times. Held weekly meetings with franchisee to discuss individual staff performance along with marketing strategy and guest experience. Greeted guests and lead my guest service associates by example on how to conduct exceptional customer service at all times. Instilled in my team how important pride and professionalism is in order to succeed in the salon industry. Held monthly sales contests to encourage my staff to continuously challenge themselves and promote friendly competition. Responded to all customer feedback in a timely fashion and shared feedback with my team to help them improve and grow their clientele. Worked incessantly to create an environment that fostered growth and created a workplace that my employees enjoyed being apart of. I grew overall sales for my team through weekly team meetings involving product knowledge reviews and role playing to enhance guest relations with all employees.

I learned the importance of growing a team for long term success in the salon industry, building a strong reputation in the public eye is the number one way to grow new business and keep repeat guests which maintains a consistent staff and prevents "revolving door syndrome". Creating and retaining an effective staff was both the hardest and most rewarding part of the job. It was only achievable through daily efforts on my part to keep my staff involved and energized by their job. A dull workplace will never create growth, passion, or creativity. – less
Very fun, great place to work
Guest Service Associate (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 31, 2014
Pros: happy environment, great guests, lovely coworkers, awesome company
Cons: pay is min wage, if you don't sell packages you don't make much
I absolutely love working here. It's an easy job and you meet the nicest people here. There's no drama (rare for place with 100% girl employees) and I never find myself dreading going to work. My manager is the best! :)
Life at European Wax Center
Guest Services Coordinator (Former Employee), FloridaAugust 29, 2014
Facing the customers scheduling all appointment's making sure each client gets what he or she wants following the guidelines and tools we were given when starting the job. The company was new when we started and the managers were on top of there game it was such a blessing to be placed with the team. The difficulty we faced was we needed more locations – more... we became packed everyday. Now European Wax Center does not face this issue today. Enjoyable ? being a family everyone who worked there had each others back – less
great start out company
WAX SPECIALIST AND SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Lafayette, LaAugust 14, 2014
low pay
has classes every so often to learn from
can learn from owner
great clients that come in
fairly high turn over rate
Decline
Regional Trainer (Current Employee), Manhattan Beach, CAAugust 10, 2014
Decline to answer. Decline to answer. Decline to answer. Decline to answer.
Pleasant place but hours are hard
General Manager (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 15, 2014
Pros: positive work environment
Cons: schedule isn't consistent, and no benefits
I enjoy working at the Wax Center but I am looking to get into the medical field. I enjoy working with people and love helping people. The biggest part of my job is customer service; whether it is answering multiple lines, or checking people in and out, to dealing with guest issues. As a manager I am in charge of managing my associates through coaching – more... them through obstacles they may come about. I also am in charge of point of sale system and deposits, as well as payroll, scheduling, and the entire hiring process. – less
Busy, Competitive, Can be catty
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee), MinnesotaJuly 8, 2014
I enjoyed working for the company but you cant really read these reviews and base your opinion off of them since they are all franchise! The biggest issues anyone whos worked here will tell you is the constant cattiness and competition! But as I said dont take these toooooo seriously because they are all different!
Good Company, Franchise Owners make or break the locations
Waxer (Current Employee), Toms River, NJJuly 7, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: franchise owners can determine your success, sometimes it doesn't work in your favor as the employee.
Rather not provide specifics but will say that location is key to making a salary you can actually live on.
N/A
Wax Specialist (Current Employee), Rutherford, NJJune 28, 2014
Typical work day is genuinely busy, as faces become more recognizable the job becomes easier. Seeing regular cliental is the highlight of the day.

1 2 3 4 5