European Wax Center Employee Reviews in United States

Im warning you****
Wax specialist (Former Employee) –  WoodmereJanuary 8, 2016
I worked at EWC of Woodmere for about 5 months. In that amount of time about 30 employees had came and left, either fired or quit. This wax center has an EXTREMELY high turn over rate and there is a reason for that. If you make even the slightest mistake (lower product sales compared to a previous month is usually the culprit) they take days off of your usual schedule. There is not much consistency at all for guests because new people start daily. If you are just looking for a quick buck go work for this center, but if you're looking for an actual career where the company makes you feel valued, EWC is NOT the place
Pros
Cons
cheap hourly rate, no benefits, irrational franchise owners
Low pay/ poor management/owners lacking
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHNovember 24, 2015
Pay is very low- no raises offered and no room for advancement. Part time hours only. Management is extremely lacking. Advantages are a flex schedule.
Pros
Flex schedule
Cons
No raises, no opportunities for advancement
Very good company to work for with a great environment
Wax Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJSeptember 21, 2015
Working here was very fun, I learned a lot as a cosmetologist/esthetician from there very extensive training. I enjoyed teaching my guests about their skin and the products we offer. The company itself its very great because they help you throughout your career and help you push further up if wanted. I loved helping people feel good about themselves, even if waxing isn't the most enjoyable service.
Pros
Awesome coworkers, team events, good pay
Cons
no benefits
Great workplace for those who are love beauty
Guest Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 26, 2015
The environment is very aesthetic based so if you're an esthetican or make up artist this place is for you. Benefits are offered, but very few opportunities for pay advancement or advancement in general. Great job for those just starting out, but not optimal to make a career out of GSA position or wax specialist.
Pros
discounted/free waxing, flexible schedule
Cons
minimal breaks, movement, or excitement
Absolutely hated this place!!
wax specialist (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXAugust 3, 2015
Owner was crazy. I never had anytime off. No respect from management and they did not care if you needed personal time off (i.e. going to a funeral.) I was over worked, never got any raises even though they claimed they gave you opportunities every 3 months. Nothing mattered except sales to them. You would get punished if you did not sale enough and if you refused a service because of poor time management on the client. (i.e they show up late and expect you wax their whole body when you've you got another client waiting and they showed up on time.)
Pros
free waxing for yourself
Cons
everything
Fun work enviroment, Friendly customers, onsite training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 2, 2015
You sit upfront and help the guest flow. You get to educate guests on what will truly benefit them. You get commission on sales. Great management sets you up with onsite training and education. Fun work environment and friendly staff. Hardships in the job was being understaffed, therefore overworked. Not much quality of life. They offer quarterly raises in your first year bur not much after. I enjoyed building relationship with guests and helping them find what they need. Made lasting friendships with co-workers.
Pros
good managment, friendly coworkers, onsite training, commission, no hard sales
Cons
understaffed therefore overworked, no benifits, hard time getting raises, unreasonable corporate polocies
Fun atmosphere
Marketing Coordinator/Lead Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 4, 2015
fun atmosphere, supportive mamangement. They are all about numbers and productivity. The company is very organized. the only thing is there aren't any benefits( healthcare etc... Also the consistency of pay. Overall franchisee are nice, management and coworkers are awesome
Pros
Fun Atmosphere
Cons
No Benefits, No Consistency
fast pace friendly enviorrment
Lead guest coordinator (Current Employee) –  dedham,massAugust 18, 2015
Working for this company has been a great experience. My co-workers are awesome and everyone gets along. The only thing that is stressful about my position is the sales part. I work off of commission so sometimes the job itself can be discouraging, But most of the time the guest/customers are great and friendly and make my day. The most beneficial factor to the company is the discounted services and products. I have learned a lot about how the company operates and I have even learned a great deal about skin care.
Pros
free or discounted services/products
Cons
No benefits, pay is not consistent
Productive growing team environment
Operations / Location Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJune 23, 2015
A typical day at work included all aspects of running the owners business, from hiring / terminating, training, running the front desk, managing the employees, handling guest and employee concerns, payroll, inventory, ordering / stocking, marketing & advertising.

I learned how to really fine tune my time management skills.

My manager was an okay leader who allowed me to become a great leader.

My co-workers were amazing, the life blood of our team culture that I created and enforced. They were the best part of my day at work.

The hardest part of my day were meeting the never exhausting demands of the owner. I was working 80-100 hours a week and it wasn't enough.

As for enjoyable part, again, it was the employees. My team was hand picked by me and was a truly amazing group of girls that helped to fulfill the policies and procedures and grow a very successful business.
Pros
Team
Cons
No Benefits, Poor Pay, Management / Owner
Beware: do not become a gsa!
GSA (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 9, 2016
So I basically started in a 3 weeks span and that didn't last long before they were unsatisfied with me. Here is pretty much everything you need to know before you take that risk. You aren't allowed to basically eat. No food with smells is allowed in the center AT ALL. No microwaving practically because the center must be kept clean and fresh with the aroma of comfort wax... Yum. Training was way too aggressive and fast. If you don't do it their way and get it processed then you're pretty much asking for yourself to be let go. *I was for those various reasons. People were caddy. About 4 of 10 trainers kept role playing and draining the life out of me over and over again until I got my scripts right and or pitched to their perfection. The scripts were ridiculous honestly especially within a weeks worth of training thats a no. Might I add my manager walked out while everyone was on break at the same time but she was a great woman but I then grew to see why she left. The owner was a nut. Then a waxer quit 2 weeks after and the views on the turnover rate became pretty flipping clear! Selling the packages and pitching to guest when TOLD to, not when you're ready and yet you are still in training was quite the drag. The degradation if you're still lacking in something. The pay isn't the greatest for the first 30 days either. OH! And although you're pitching and selling packages for practice, just know those sales are going under your coworkers name. You can't get commission within the 30 days. No benefits, no paid time off and no vacation time.The turnover rate is crazy HUGE because  more... communication is not key. They don't let you know when you're being let go either. If you don't seem confident, loud, bubbly and or sales skilled enough rest assure you're being let go. They don't try to make anything work or care to here you out. As for the training high expectations, caddy behavior *trust none of the girls they're bored and you're their toy to just out to the owner on and feed off of, they throw you to the wolves often, you're walking on eggshells due to the strict policies and how to communicate. The expectations are set WAY too high and its all about sales for the company not about if your can get the technical part either because that means nothing to your money hungry owner. Please just don't get caught up in the hype everything behind those beautiful doors is not what it seems. Run for the hills because you'll be unemployed so fast your head will spin.  less
Pros
Getting let go of.
Cons
Read in review above.
Being the First one at work and the last one to leave. Having a positive attitude. Leaving your problems at the door. Working with others that were wo
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  River Oaks, TXSeptember 4, 2015
Being the first one to show up at work and being the last one to leave. To be the best I can be. I learned from my mistakes and other peoples mistakes.
The hardest part of my job was working with people that were working
against me.
The most enjoyable part of my job was making others feel good about themselves.
Pros
Gift cards
Cons
Medical Benefits
average part time job
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  San JoseAugust 17, 2015
A typical day you check guests in and out of services, schedule and confirm reservations and up sell products and packages. This job taught me a lot of customer service and receptionist skills because the largest part of the job is interfacing with people, managing schedules for not only the waxers that the manager as well. My coworkers were amazing. The hardest part were the rude guests the frequent there and best part is getting to meet some amazing people
Pros
product discounts
Cons
poor compensation/no healthcare for full-time employees
Lacks Integrity
Wax Specialist- Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TexasOctober 5, 2015
I worked for a new location that lacked leadership, and integrity. Even ownership didn't really value the growth that the employees were contributing. I'm not sure about every European Wax Center but if it lacks leadership, its not going to help make you successful.
Pros
Free Waxing
Cons
No insurance packages, No 401K
Horrible
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  2717 N Elston Chicago, IlJuly 20, 2016
I wish there were an option for "0" stars because this place is a mess! I was hired, with them knowing that there was no manager, no one to train me, no help! I was self managed, taught, I ran that store, literally. These people had no consideration whatsoever. I would get to work to open up around 7:30am and sit around all day doing absolutely nothing until 2:30 because clients were constantly cancelling, no shows. On top of that, my replacement for next shift was ALWAYS late. The technology was bad, system was down constantly. The phones didn't work, which was the main way clients could reach us. They would come in very angry and guess who took all of the backlash. Owners? Where? Oh, Arizona! We're in Chicago. I would daily send them complaints from clients, slips because we have no toilet tissue, curse you if you verbally asked for supplies, (wax, products, paper, etc.) Everything had to be sent over the computer. And guess what?!? Still no supplies! The worst job I've ever had! The whole place is horrible!
Cons
Great place to amp customer service skills
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 25, 2015
Fun and well paced work place. Sales involved and also determines raises! Goals every month with promotions that help!
Pros
Half off wax!
Cons
Late hours
High pace work environment with a highly enthusiastic staff
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Levittown, NYOctober 13, 2015
Fun place to work with very little down time, very focused on selling packages and products but always motivated to sell.
Pros
Incentives, contests
Cons
Health benefits
Stepping stone job
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJuly 23, 2015
The only thing that I would praise this place on is the training and experience you get from working here. They pay minimum wage and 5% of each service which is nothing compared to most places that are 20-40% commission. Don't waste too much time working here! Just get enough experience and leave!
Pros
Good Training
Cons
Management, pay, benefits, coworkers
Fun work place with flexible hours.
Wax specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston,TXJuly 30, 2015
A typical work day for me includes performing wax services and product sales. Stocking and cleaning treatment room. Management is excellent with very pleasant co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is building relationships with clients.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
No vacation/ medical benefits.
Not a good experience...
Designated Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 2, 2016
I was the Designated Manager for several months for a brand new EWC in Louisville, KY. I wish I had never taken this job. The owners knew nothing about the company or how to run a business at all. Aside from poor ownership, the company has way too many rules, policies, and procedures. It is a very strict environment and I always felt like I was walking on eggshells and being micromanaged because of how strict everything is. Corporate employees are very rude and offer no help at all. As a manager, I received NO training whatsoever and was "thrown to the wolves" to figure out things on my own. Perhaps with decent ownership and more help/advice from Corporate, this could potentially be an okay place to work, but I had a bad experience. There is a very high turnover rate with employees nationwide with the company, and now I see why!
Pros
Since I was the manager, I received a salaried income
Cons
Strict rules, policies, and procedures; poor ownership
Wouldn't work here
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 19, 2016
They want you to work for next to nothing. Only giving you 5% of each service! Management is a joke and owners too. This management will throw under the bus in a heart beat. My schedule changed several times with a day notice. Put my regular cleints on another waxer schedule with out telling me or the guest. I got told if I didn't do the wax fast enough, I was fired. Or sale. Does not care for the employees.
Pros
Customers and the wax
Cons
Very low pay and management

2.6