European Wax Center Employee Reviews

A great stepping stone
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJanuary 14, 2017
Here's the thing. Ewc is a franchise so really your experience is based off of the franchisee.Every center is different when it comes to management and how it's ran. Pay is also based off of franchisee. Most give you 5% commission off services but apparently Some do 10%. Also you start at minimum wage but you can also get raises or bonuses... once again each center will be different. I have worked for three different Ewc owners at several locations and states and it truly makes or breaks the experience. EWC's are popping up everywhere so it's kinda nice that you can easily relocate if your young and looking to do some traveling as I did. The clients are great and they usually love you and are very thankful for you ( if your a good waxer ) I made great tips!! the down side is that most centers are ran like a sweat shop. Literally. You have 15 min for a service but yet your guests love to show up and then ask to use the restroom once they enter the room, then they come back in and sit down to untie their shoes meanwhile your heart is racing knowing you now have 7 minutes to complete a Brazilian .... sure enough your pager goes off and your next client is waiting for you... your on the butt strip and your pager goes off again, now your walking your client to the front and you have to suggest products, meanwhile your next guest is giving you the death look because she has now been waiting 4 minutes and you know your going to keep running behind till you have a no show or an upper lip appointment. Basically the stress level is at a 10 hands down 75% of the time. But that's also only  more... once you get busy, takes a bit till you build your repeat request. Also the tables don't go up and down so you bend over a lot. There is no padding on the floors in any location that I am aware of so your lower back kills by the end of a shift. Waxing 10-25 people a day does serious damage to your shoulder and body, I highly recommend stretching as much as possible throughout shift. Lastly the products changed in the last year. They USED to be GREAT, now they are pretty BAD. The packaging looks like Victoria secret and they reek of floral bs. The company went cheap, they got rid of the effective ingredients and switched them out for cheaper less effective ingredients. Bold move if I do say so myself. The industry is changing and people now have the internet and they know what they are putting on their skin, so for the company to change the products the way they did and at such a time was really just a way of saying it's not about your skin at all and all about our pocket book. Many of my clients stopped buying the products and started making their own via Pinterest and coconut oil fads. If you can't sell you won't hit goals, you don't hit goals, you don't get raises... so basically you bite your lip and you sell something that you as a professional would never actually use on yourself! The real question is.....are you someone who is comfortable with the human body? All shapes? Sizes? Genders? And hygiene!?!?!  less
Pros
Your co workers are your best friends! Fun with the guests and good waxing experience.
Cons
Poor pay structure. Poor products. Unrealistic expectations
Fun, fast paced environment!
Wax Specialist (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 11, 2017
Love being able to educate Guests about our amazing products and at home care to help their waxing experience become a great one for years to come. I love the Company and the amazing Guests that walk through the door everyday. It makes me happy to have made someone feel beautiful in their own skin.
Pros
Guests, EWC wax, Products.
Cons
No benefits
Productive and fun work place
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day at work would consist of reviewing the books/making changes and managing appointments. Greeting guests and checking them in for their reservation. My co-workers were great and management was good. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking care of our guest and making sure they had an excellent experience.
Pros
50% off of waxing services
Cons
Short breaks
Flexible Work Environment
Front Desk Associate/ Waxing (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COJanuary 8, 2017
EWC is very flexible and will work with you to make a schedule that you do not have to stress over. However, the environment can be unprofessional depending on what location you go to.
Pros
Free waxes
Cons
No room for advancement
Good place for new estheticians
Wax Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 7, 2017
The company is good for people just starting out. But the company is too money hungry. They focus too much on numbers and product sells. The major problem is not getting breaks on the weekdays and not having a break room. On a positive note there is continuous training available to you for as long as you work there. The management is good and my coworkers are awesome . There is a lot of dishonesty when it comes to recruiting. They don't tell you that if you want to take off that you have to find coverage even if its months in advance. They lied about the salary
Pros
Free waxing, free lunch 2xmontly, continuous training
Cons
No breaks, no health care
Franchisees had no clue
Designated Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 6, 2017
The franchise owners of this particular location had no clue as to the business they bought into. They wanted to treat is as if it were a retail store or restaurant. They didn't know their client base and had no desire to know their employees. They micromanaged everything and made it impossible for me to do the job they hired me for because I was required to text, email or call them multiple times throughout the day so that they could be told everything that was going on. They had cameras in the building so that they could watch and listen to everyone throughout the day. They also bounced paychecks to 5 different employees. Myself included.I would not work for these franchise owners ever again.
Pros
some free waxing services, decent hours
Cons
boring work
European Wax Center
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Orange, CTJanuary 4, 2017
Overall I enjoyed working here. The only issue would have been the lack of workers made it hard to find coverage. A typical day at work would have been answering calls and accommodating or setting up appointments for guests and have their experiences be very comfortable. Some coworkers were very nice and made an enjoyable work place, others were full of gossip making it an uncomfortable environment. Like every other job ive had, I learned to have a lot of patience with people as well as organization skills.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short staff
Minimum wage pay for backbreaking work
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAJanuary 4, 2017
I would work anywhere but here. The commission is a joke, there is no HR department so the franchisee head can do and say whatever they please with no ramifications. No benefits, no maternity leave, just a bad bad place to work
Great Environment for students
Guest Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAJanuary 2, 2017
Very fast pace work environment!!! Since this location is located in a chino shoppes, it is always busy but that also means there is more opportunity to sell!
Pros
flexible
Cons
pay
Great people but no way to earn a living
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 1, 2017
I loved the people I worked with, and the environment was welcoming. The biggest issue I had was that I was told I would be earning a certain amount, but instead I was earning almost minimum wage with no way to increase my income.
meeting new clients
Wax Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CADecember 30, 2016
Waxxing people, selling the european wax products, learning all about the products we sell and about our wax. management is not the best. coworkers were okay.
good place to work.
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLDecember 28, 2016
good place to work, management sometimes isn't all to great. They don't always treat there guests or the girls who work there with 100% respect. They will fire or make you quit for no reason.
The products and services are great!
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CADecember 22, 2016
I love this company, the brand and all the products and services. The waxers are great, and I really enjoy all of the staff. But the pay rates are unreasonable for anyone who is trying to support themselves financially.
Pros
discounts on products and services, great co-workers, some time free waxes
Cons
compensation rates, no benefits, potential OSHA standard offenses.
Interesting work environment, Never a dull moment
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  4s ranchDecember 22, 2016
a typical day is coming into work and clocking in, setting up your wax suite for the day. You would do anywhere from 2-13 services a day from eyebrows to Brazilians. The actual job itself was very fun and i loved everyone that i met and my coworkers were all amazing supportive woman. Management was not the best, I felt very micromanaged and the way i was spoken to was very condescending and management was very young.The hardest part of the job is some days you would fall behind and it would cause you to be late with your guests but its a fairly easy and enjoyable job that has the potential to pay very well.
Pros
free body waxing, discount on product
Cons
management
fun, stressful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLDecember 18, 2016
The franchise is all about sales. It really depends on the franchisee owner. The owner I worked for was extremely greedy and only looked at the sales and our numbers at the store.
Pros
snacks
Cons
no room for promotion
Fun workplace management becomes money hungry
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 18, 2016
Quick money slave you for the benefit of the company no respect for your outside life HUGE TURNOVER management makes sure you understand your replaceable
Pros
Quick money
Cons
Managers
Fun workplace!
Wax Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oro Valley, AZ 85704December 16, 2016
Fun workplace! It's very important to meet goals and numbers weekly/monthly here! It is sometimes stressful because you have to meet certain numbers and goals set for you and continue to grow at a certain level and Wax at a certain time for each service, but it's a great group of women and a great place to ATLEAST start out at!
Pros
Weekly meetings / monthly with lunch usually! Great environment!
Cons
No healthcare, stress on selling and meeting numbers
Fun workplace
Front desk specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 13, 2016
Everything is great except the benefits products are amazing , offers training on waxing. Sucks it does not offer benefits , no paid holidays, no PTO
Pros
Free waxes
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, pay is low
Fast paced environment.
Waxier - Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJDecember 12, 2016
EWC is a great place to work at, however the only con is lack of movement in the company. The environment is very upbeat and fast paced, and they also provide extensive training.
Pros
great bonuses
fun working environment
Wax Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pikesville, MDDecember 12, 2016
The European wax center has flexible shift work. They have highs and lows in seasons as far as the amount of clients. I have learned a lot about selling products.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at European Wax Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6