European Wax Center Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible Expierence
Designated Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYMay 20, 2016
I was employed for two months,never received any support from owners or corporate team in regards to business needs. They throw you "out to the wolves" and have no true understanding to what the industry is about. Good luck trying to speak your mind or give them opinions on things you will most likely get yelled at for them or ignored..... All they see is numbers that's it... I regret ever taking this position with this company. ..and they paid me horribly with no management bonus structure.

All my associates were amazing...however they made more or had more opportunity to make more then me. Mind you i am a managing cosmetologist in Ohio and Kentucky and was more then qualified for this position,i had true background in the industry and the pay and respect of that was not there.

So they expected me their manager to do interviews,hiring,payroll,inventory,ordering,marketing,run the front desk,sell $10,000 in package sales a month,run their business from literally A-Z...which i am capable of doing all of these things just fine....however with no help or guidance from owners or "upper management"..this was not the place for me...there was a very serious lack of communication..they never responded to emails,or calls....
i could go on and on about it.

this was the worst experience i have had with any employer,and i do not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
no support from owners, unorganized, lack of communication, horrible pay for what they make you do as a "manager", micromanaged very heavily, disrespectful and lack of knowledge to what the industry entails, only cares about numbers and nothing more
You make money if your sell product
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Merrifield, VAApril 21, 2016
Great company to work for but you only make money if you sell products and you can kiss your social life away! Depending on who you work for depends on how many hours you work too.
Pros
free wax services, lunches, deals on products
Cons
long hours, low pay
Wonderful professional environment with great opportunities if you do the right things!
Guest Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 18, 2016
Great place to live learn and love! I love how all of the workers were such a team and strive to meet corporate standers. I Learned so much from working with ewc that i use my knowledge in my everyday life and i will continue to use it the rest of my life!
Take your talents somewhere else!
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 18, 2016
If you're looking to work at the short pump location in va dont waste your time the management is horrendous and they dont care about your well being. Just wait till the new location in willow lawn opens youll be better off there!
Pros
My employees, free eyebrow waxing, great customers
Cons
My manager
very fun and exciting environment
GUEST SERVICE SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAApril 15, 2016
A typical day at work here was filled with fun. The manager always found new way to keep our sales at there highest with fun, friendly competition.
Pros
free lunches at our weekly meetings
Cons
heathcare, unsatisfying pay
Beware: do not become a gsa!
GSA (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 9, 2016
So I basically started in a 3 weeks span and that didn't last long before they were unsatisfied with me. Here is pretty much everything you need to know before you take that risk. You aren't allowed to basically eat. No food with smells is allowed in the center AT ALL. No microwaving practically because the center must be kept clean and fresh with the aroma of comfort wax... Yum. Training was way too aggressive and fast. If you don't do it their way and get it processed then you're pretty much asking for yourself to be let go. *I was for those various reasons. People were caddy. About 4 of 10 trainers kept role playing and draining the life out of me over and over again until I got my scripts right and or pitched to their perfection. The scripts were ridiculous honestly especially within a weeks worth of training thats a no. Might I add my manager walked out while everyone was on break at the same time but she was a great woman but I then grew to see why she left. The owner was a nut. Then a waxer quit 2 weeks after and the views on the turnover rate became pretty flipping clear! Selling the packages and pitching to guest when TOLD to, not when you're ready and yet you are still in training was quite the drag. The degradation if you're still lacking in something. The pay isn't the greatest for the first 30 days either. OH! And although you're pitching and selling packages for practice, just know those sales are going under your coworkers name. You can't get commission within the 30 days. No benefits, no paid time off and no vacation time.The turnover rate is crazy HUGE because  more... communication is not key. They don't let you know when you're being let go either. If you don't seem confident, loud, bubbly and or sales skilled enough rest assure you're being let go. They don't try to make anything work or care to here you out. As for the training high expectations, caddy behavior *trust none of the girls they're bored and you're their toy to just out to the owner on and feed off of, they throw you to the wolves often, you're walking on eggshells due to the strict policies and how to communicate. The expectations are set WAY too high and its all about sales for the company not about if your can get the technical part either because that means nothing to your money hungry owner. Please just don't get caught up in the hype everything behind those beautiful doors is not what it seems. Run for the hills because you'll be unemployed so fast your head will spin.  less
Pros
Getting let go of.
Cons
Read in review above.
Good stepping stone job
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMarch 7, 2016
This was ok for me. Didn't have much opportunity for growth. Manger at the time was not good, and not personable. People I worked with were great.
you have to be perfect in order to keep your job.
Waxologist (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDFebruary 5, 2016
To keep your job, you need to be absorbing the information and technique insanely quickly. If you do not, they will fire you like they did me. They never told me their expectations and there was a huge lack of professionalism as well as abundant cattiness. All they care about it making a sale.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
cattiness, no professionalism, very very high expectations
Not a good experience...
Designated Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 2, 2016
I was the Designated Manager for several months for a brand new EWC in Louisville, KY. I wish I had never taken this job. The owners knew nothing about the company or how to run a business at all. Aside from poor ownership, the company has way too many rules, policies, and procedures. It is a very strict environment and I always felt like I was walking on eggshells and being micromanaged because of how strict everything is. Corporate employees are very rude and offer no help at all. As a manager, I received NO training whatsoever and was "thrown to the wolves" to figure out things on my own. Perhaps with decent ownership and more help/advice from Corporate, this could potentially be an okay place to work, but I had a bad experience. There is a very high turnover rate with employees nationwide with the company, and now I see why!
Pros
Since I was the manager, I received a salaried income
Cons
Strict rules, policies, and procedures; poor ownership
Fun for Gilry Girls
Guest Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJanuary 28, 2016
Management was awful and would always threaten to fire you if you didn't sale memberships. As a GSA you were responsible for checking in clients, membership sales, and collection of money. It was a good time being around other girls, but being in the beauty industry they always expected you to look perfect. The pay was entry level and the commission was hard to come by. I loved the wax they use there though its the best i've ever used!
Pros
free waxing
Cons
pay/healthcare/management
Great Experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJanuary 21, 2016
I learned so much in customer service and as well handling all customer issues. Since is was a full staff of girls everyone treated everyone like family. The best part working is going to dinner with the team of girls and having fun outside of work. During work is busy day multi phone lines, checking in and out guest, as well organization.
Exciting and easy goals
Guest Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJJanuary 19, 2016
Exciting and easy daily, weekly and monthly goals to reach. Commission based so monetary incentives are plenty. Advertisement could improve.
Im warning you****
Wax specialist (Former Employee) –  WoodmereJanuary 8, 2016
I worked at EWC of Woodmere for about 5 months. In that amount of time about 30 employees had came and left, either fired or quit. This wax center has an EXTREMELY high turn over rate and there is a reason for that. If you make even the slightest mistake (lower product sales compared to a previous month is usually the culprit) they take days off of your usual schedule. There is not much consistency at all for guests because new people start daily. If you are just looking for a quick buck go work for this center, but if you're looking for an actual career where the company makes you feel valued, EWC is NOT the place
Pros
Cons
cheap hourly rate, no benefits, irrational franchise owners
Fun great environment
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXDecember 28, 2015
A typical day of work consisted of greeting and communicating with guest and educating them on waxing. The management was good and the coworkers were friendly and there was no drama. The hardest part of the job was dealing with mad guests and the most enjoyable part was my coworkers.
Pros
free waxing
Cons
no breaks, no lunch break
Fun yet exhausting environment
felt like family
co workers were lovely
management was family
it was fun
Enjoyed my work, location was slow paced and management unprofessional
Waxing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plano @ Spring Creek Pkwy- Plano, TxDecember 4, 2015
Enjoyed my work at EWC, however the location had very slow periods and unprofessional management. I had many days where I did not have one client on my books and I felt the location was overstaffed most of the time. I chose to leave to attend the laser certification to further my career.
Pros
Loved what I was doing
Cons
Unprofessional management, slow location
Enjoyable work place
Guest Service Associate (Current Employee) –  West Babylon, NYNovember 30, 2015
Enjoyable work place with supportive and kind management. Expected to provide guests with top of the line customer service, sell packages, and manage the over flow of the center. The everyday tasks include opening and closing the center, managing money, attending to guests and more. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, and being able to provide our guests with an excellent experience.
Low pay/ poor management/owners lacking
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHNovember 24, 2015
Pay is very low- no raises offered and no room for advancement. Part time hours only. Management is extremely lacking. Advantages are a flex schedule.
Pros
Flex schedule
Cons
No raises, no opportunities for advancement
Clean, friendly work environment.
Wax Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2015
I really have loved working here, and felt that I was able to really succeed. I am looking for something more advanced for skincare instead of just waxing.
busy and fun
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Township of Howell, NJNovember 11, 2015
Fun place to work. Commission opportunities. Must be a people person. corporate is very strict about scripts and policies. Great employee discount.