European Wax Center Employee Reviews

Im warning you****
Wax specialist (Former Employee) –  WoodmereJanuary 8, 2016
I worked at EWC of Woodmere for about 5 months. In that amount of time about 30 employees had came and left, either fired or quit. This wax center has an EXTREMELY high turn over rate and there is a reason for that. If you make even the slightest mistake (lower product sales compared to a previous month is usually the culprit) they take days off of your usual schedule. There is not much consistency at all for guests because new people start daily. If you are just looking for a quick buck go work for this center, but if you're looking for an actual career where the company makes you feel valued, EWC is NOT the place
Pros
Cons
cheap hourly rate, no benefits, irrational franchise owners
Great Co-workers, fun guests, terrible management
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILAugust 3, 2016
Management and owners take poor care of their employees, offer little to no benefits and are miserly about raises. They provide little to no recognition for employees who go above and beyond what is required of their duties and will attempt to take advantage of you. Working for the locations Lincoln Park East, Old Town, Streeter illegal, South Loop, West Loop and Lincoln Square (Owned by the same franchisee and employees often rotate around locations), you will find disorganization, rules violations, non motivated management, and poor morale amongst workers. Stay far away.
Pros
Between 6 locations it's easy to get hours
Cons
No breaks, no break rooms, no sense of security, no benefits, poor health care options
Busy work place with discounted wax services
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 9, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of arriving 30 minutes prior to opening to balance out cash register and start up computer. You then check guests in and out as they arrive and as they leave. As for coworkers, they were fun and easy to work with always. The hardest part of my job was having an unrealistic goal of selling at least $500 worth of packages to clients for every shift you worked. Whether it was a 4 hour shift or a 10 hour shift, you must make your quota or you will be terminated. The packages are pricey, so it would seem easy to make the $500, but clients either already have/had the packages or they are not willing to spend the money and would prefer coming al la cart. The most enjoyable part of my job was catching up with clients as they came for their scheduled appointments since most clients came every 2-6 weeks depending on what service they were getting.
Great employees terrible management and products
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2016
I enjoyed everyone I worked with but management was wishy washy, no benefits until you worked there forever and who wants to do that ? Also customers were rude, didn't like how it was like an assembly line for waxing, the area I was in most people want organic skincare and EWC seriously needs to consider looking into, I even mentioned that several times and of course why would they listen to a trained esthetician. Thing is if you love waxing then pursue this if not pursue skincare and maybe sugaring instead of a place that douses their customers in chemicals and wax that rips of their skin.
Cons
No benefits, guilt tripping
Horrible
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  2717 N Elston Chicago, IlJuly 20, 2016
I wish there were an option for "0" stars because this place is a mess! I was hired, with them knowing that there was no manager, no one to train me, no help! I was self managed, taught, I ran that store, literally. These people had no consideration whatsoever. I would get to work to open up around 7:30am and sit around all day doing absolutely nothing until 2:30 because clients were constantly cancelling, no shows. On top of that, my replacement for next shift was ALWAYS late. The technology was bad, system was down constantly. The phones didn't work, which was the main way clients could reach us. They would come in very angry and guess who took all of the backlash. Owners? Where? Oh, Arizona! We're in Chicago. I would daily send them complaints from clients, slips because we have no toilet tissue, curse you if you verbally asked for supplies, (wax, products, paper, etc.) Everything had to be sent over the computer. And guess what?!? Still no supplies! The worst job I've ever had! The whole place is horrible!
Cons
Low pay/ poor management/owners lacking
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHNovember 24, 2015
Pay is very low- no raises offered and no room for advancement. Part time hours only. Management is extremely lacking. Advantages are a flex schedule.
Pros
Flex schedule
Cons
No raises, no opportunities for advancement
Enjoyed my work, location was slow paced and management unprofessional
Waxing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plano @ Spring Creek Pkwy- Plano, TxDecember 4, 2015
Enjoyed my work at EWC, however the location had very slow periods and unprofessional management. I had many days where I did not have one client on my books and I felt the location was overstaffed most of the time. I chose to leave to attend the laser certification to further my career.
Pros
Loved what I was doing
Cons
Unprofessional management, slow location
Great entry level wax position
Orange level waxer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 14, 2016
If you are looking to learn speed waxing a build a clientele, EWC is a great place to start. With that being said, you need to know owners and management most often do not come from the esthetics world; hence your support team are the other estheticians you work with... most of them become family to you. There is great emphasis on sales of products; keeping service times within set limits, and selling add on services without going over your time. There are no benefits offered.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
Absolutely hated this place!!
wax specialist (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXAugust 3, 2015
Owner was crazy. I never had anytime off. No respect from management and they did not care if you needed personal time off (i.e. going to a funeral.) I was over worked, never got any raises even though they claimed they gave you opportunities every 3 months. Nothing mattered except sales to them. You would get punished if you did not sale enough and if you refused a service because of poor time management on the client. (i.e they show up late and expect you wax their whole body when you've you got another client waiting and they showed up on time.)
Pros
free waxing for yourself
Cons
everything
Fun work enviroment, Friendly customers, onsite training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 2, 2015
You sit upfront and help the guest flow. You get to educate guests on what will truly benefit them. You get commission on sales. Great management sets you up with onsite training and education. Fun work environment and friendly staff. Hardships in the job was being understaffed, therefore overworked. Not much quality of life. They offer quarterly raises in your first year bur not much after. I enjoyed building relationship with guests and helping them find what they need. Made lasting friendships with co-workers.
Pros
good managment, friendly coworkers, onsite training, commission, no hard sales
Cons
understaffed therefore overworked, no benifits, hard time getting raises, unreasonable corporate polocies
Productive growing team environment
Operations / Location Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJune 23, 2015
A typical day at work included all aspects of running the owners business, from hiring / terminating, training, running the front desk, managing the employees, handling guest and employee concerns, payroll, inventory, ordering / stocking, marketing & advertising.

I learned how to really fine tune my time management skills.

My manager was an okay leader who allowed me to become a great leader.

My co-workers were amazing, the life blood of our team culture that I created and enforced. They were the best part of my day at work.

The hardest part of my day were meeting the never exhausting demands of the owner. I was working 80-100 hours a week and it wasn't enough.

As for enjoyable part, again, it was the employees. My team was hand picked by me and was a truly amazing group of girls that helped to fulfill the policies and procedures and grow a very successful business.
Pros
Team
Cons
No Benefits, Poor Pay, Management / Owner
Wouldn't work here
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 19, 2016
They want you to work for next to nothing. Only giving you 5% of each service! Management is a joke and owners too. This management will throw under the bus in a heart beat. My schedule changed several times with a day notice. Put my regular cleints on another waxer schedule with out telling me or the guest. I got told if I didn't do the wax fast enough, I was fired. Or sale. Does not care for the employees.
Pros
Customers and the wax
Cons
Very low pay and management
Fun for Gilry Girls
Guest Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJanuary 28, 2016
Management was awful and would always threaten to fire you if you didn't sale memberships. As a GSA you were responsible for checking in clients, membership sales, and collection of money. It was a good time being around other girls, but being in the beauty industry they always expected you to look perfect. The pay was entry level and the commission was hard to come by. I loved the wax they use there though its the best i've ever used!
Pros
free waxing
Cons
pay/healthcare/management
Very good company to work for with a great environment
Wax Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJSeptember 21, 2015
Working here was very fun, I learned a lot as a cosmetologist/esthetician from there very extensive training. I enjoyed teaching my guests about their skin and the products we offer. The company itself its very great because they help you throughout your career and help you push further up if wanted. I loved helping people feel good about themselves, even if waxing isn't the most enjoyable service.
Pros
Awesome coworkers, team events, good pay
Cons
no benefits
Great workplace for those who are love beauty
Guest Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 26, 2015
The environment is very aesthetic based so if you're an esthetican or make up artist this place is for you. Benefits are offered, but very few opportunities for pay advancement or advancement in general. Great job for those just starting out, but not optimal to make a career out of GSA position or wax specialist.
Pros
discounted/free waxing, flexible schedule
Cons
minimal breaks, movement, or excitement
Highway Robbery
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2016
If you're straight out of esthetics school it's fine to gain experience. But 5%com. On services is a waste of time. Other spas and waxing facilities will offer 40% com. On services. They don't give you benefits unless you've been working full time for a year. Management is horrible.
Pros
Great for gettin started
Cons
Everything else is horrible management pay environment.
Horrible workplace inside and out!
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAAugust 21, 2016
I was so excited to begin working for Ewc, as a new esthetician I was excited for the opportunity to expand my knowledge. Little did I know it would be the worst job ever, horrible manager, horrible pay, horrible clients! Found out after I started working here that Ewc is known as the fast food version of waxing ... Yay
Fast paced environment to learn how to work quickly on your feet
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJuly 8, 2016
Learned to accomodate a variety of guests, as well as managed situations with unsatisfied customers. Friendly co-workers. Producing high sales on a part-time hours proved to be difficult at times. Learned to work in a very fast paced environment and multi-task.
Pros
Friendly environment
Not a good experience...
Designated Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 2, 2016
I was the Designated Manager for several months for a brand new EWC in Louisville, KY. I wish I had never taken this job. The owners knew nothing about the company or how to run a business at all. Aside from poor ownership, the company has way too many rules, policies, and procedures. It is a very strict environment and I always felt like I was walking on eggshells and being micromanaged because of how strict everything is. Corporate employees are very rude and offer no help at all. As a manager, I received NO training whatsoever and was "thrown to the wolves" to figure out things on my own. Perhaps with decent ownership and more help/advice from Corporate, this could potentially be an okay place to work, but I had a bad experience. There is a very high turnover rate with employees nationwide with the company, and now I see why!
Pros
Since I was the manager, I received a salaried income
Cons
Strict rules, policies, and procedures; poor ownership
High School Career
Guest Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 20, 2016
I call this a career because I worked about 50 hours a week at this facility. I loved my job. I was a top seller and built strong relationships with each and every client that came in to receive our services that we provided.
Pros
Open Communication Channels
Cons
Low Commission

2.6