European Wax Center Employee Reviews in United States

Productive place to work
Body Waxer (Former Employee) –  Missouri City, TXJuly 23, 2016
Enjoyed working as my own boss and working with face to face clients management was great loved that they encouraged your business coworkers were great people
Pros
Being my own boss
Cons
Owner sold the business
Horrible
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  2717 N Elston Chicago, IlJuly 20, 2016
I wish there were an option for "0" stars because this place is a mess! I was hired, with them knowing that there was no manager, no one to train me, no help! I was self managed, taught, I ran that store, literally. These people had no consideration whatsoever. I would get to work to open up around 7:30am and sit around all day doing absolutely nothing until 2:30 because clients were constantly cancelling, no shows. On top of that, my replacement for next shift was ALWAYS late. The technology was bad, system was down constantly. The phones didn't work, which was the main way clients could reach us. They would come in very angry and guess who took all of the backlash. Owners? Where? Oh, Arizona! We're in Chicago. I would daily send them complaints from clients, slips because we have no toilet tissue, curse you if you verbally asked for supplies, (wax, products, paper, etc.) Everything had to be sent over the computer. And guess what?!? Still no supplies! The worst job I've ever had! The whole place is horrible!
Wouldn't work here
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 19, 2016
They want you to work for next to nothing. Only giving you 5% of each service! Management is a joke and owners too. This management will throw under the bus in a heart beat. My schedule changed several times with a day notice. Put my regular cleints on another waxer schedule with out telling me or the guest. I got told if I didn't do the wax fast enough, I was fired. Or sale. Does not care for the employees.
Pros
Customers and the wax
Cons
Very low pay and management
Fast paced environment to learn how to work quickly on your feet
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJuly 8, 2016
Learned to accomodate a variety of guests, as well as managed situations with unsatisfied customers. Friendly co-workers. Producing high sales on a part-time hours proved to be difficult at times. Learned to work in a very fast paced environment and multi-task.
Pros
Friendly environment
Horrible management/owners
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 15, 2016
This company has to be the worst company ever. No matter how hard you work or how much effort you put in it never matters. Depending on the owners the pay is low and commission is terrible and upper management is a joke! Nobody listens to you or your questions. There are no benefits, no 401k ,no pto nothing!
Pros
Free waxing
great place to grow
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 14, 2016
enjoyed working with the associate and the manager at the time was great. Would recommend this place if you want to receive more trainng on how to wax properly.
Guest Services
Sales (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 13, 2016
Very up beat and fun work environment. Greet guest as they walk through the door and assist in any needs they may have. Book appointments and educate all guest on products and services.
Pros
great team work
Family like Work environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 27, 2016
I Absolutely loved working for this Company, the concept is amazing and I learned so much. They are excellent about continuing education. With bi-weekly regional webinars and other great learning tools. It's a fast paced fun place to be.
Horrible Expierence
Designated Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYMay 20, 2016
I was employed for two months,never received any support from owners or corporate team in regards to business needs. They throw you "out to the wolves" and have no true understanding to what the industry is about. Good luck trying to speak your mind or give them opinions on things you will most likely get yelled at for them or ignored..... All they see is numbers that's it... I regret ever taking this position with this company. ..and they paid me horribly with no management bonus structure.

All my associates were amazing...however they made more or had more opportunity to make more then me. Mind you i am a managing cosmetologist in Ohio and Kentucky and was more then qualified for this position,i had true background in the industry and the pay and respect of that was not there.

So they expected me their manager to do interviews,hiring,payroll,inventory,ordering,marketing,run the front desk,sell $10,000 in package sales a month,run their business from literally A-Z...which i am capable of doing all of these things just fine....however with no help or guidance from owners or "upper management"..this was not the place for me...there was a very serious lack of communication..they never responded to emails,or calls....
i could go on and on about it.

this was the worst experience i have had with any employer,and i do not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
no support from owners, unorganized, lack of communication, horrible pay for what they make you do as a "manager", micromanaged very heavily, disrespectful and lack of knowledge to what the industry entails, only cares about numbers and nothing more
You make money if your sell product
Wax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Merrifield, VAApril 21, 2016
Great company to work for but you only make money if you sell products and you can kiss your social life away! Depending on who you work for depends on how many hours you work too.
Pros
free wax services, lunches, deals on products
Cons
long hours, low pay
Wonderful professional environment with great opportunities if you do the right things!
Guest Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 18, 2016
Great place to live learn and love! I love how all of the workers were such a team and strive to meet corporate standers. I Learned so much from working with ewc that i use my knowledge in my everyday life and i will continue to use it the rest of my life!
Take your talents somewhere else!
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 18, 2016
If you're looking to work at the short pump location in va dont waste your time the management is horrendous and they dont care about your well being. Just wait till the new location in willow lawn opens youll be better off there!
Pros
My employees, free eyebrow waxing, great customers
Cons
My manager
very fun and exciting environment
GUEST SERVICE SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAApril 15, 2016
A typical day at work here was filled with fun. The manager always found new way to keep our sales at there highest with fun, friendly competition.
Pros
free lunches at our weekly meetings
Cons
heathcare, unsatisfying pay
Beware: do not become a gsa!
GSA (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 9, 2016
So I basically started in a 3 weeks span and that didn't last long before they were unsatisfied with me. Here is pretty much everything you need to know before you take that risk. You aren't allowed to basically eat. No food with smells is allowed in the center AT ALL. No microwaving practically because the center must be kept clean and fresh with the aroma of comfort wax... Yum. Training was way too aggressive and fast. If you don't do it their way and get it processed then you're pretty much asking for yourself to be let go. *I was for those various reasons. People were caddy. About 4 of 10 trainers kept role playing and draining the life out of me over and over again until I got my scripts right and or pitched to their perfection. The scripts were ridiculous honestly especially within a weeks worth of training thats a no. Might I add my manager walked out while everyone was on break at the same time but she was a great woman but I then grew to see why she left. The owner was a nut. Then a waxer quit 2 weeks after and the views on the turnover rate became pretty flipping clear! Selling the packages and pitching to guest when TOLD to, not when you're ready and yet you are still in training was quite the drag. The degradation if you're still lacking in something. The pay isn't the greatest for the first 30 days either. OH! And although you're pitching and selling packages for practice, just know those sales are going under your coworkers name. You can't get commission within the 30 days. No benefits, no paid time off and no vacation time.The turnover rate is crazy HUGE because  more... communication is not key. They don't let you know when you're being let go either. If you don't seem confident, loud, bubbly and or sales skilled enough rest assure you're being let go. They don't try to make anything work or care to here you out. As for the training high expectations, caddy behavior *trust none of the girls they're bored and you're their toy to just out to the owner on and feed off of, they throw you to the wolves often, you're walking on eggshells due to the strict policies and how to communicate. The expectations are set WAY too high and its all about sales for the company not about if your can get the technical part either because that means nothing to your money hungry owner. Please just don't get caught up in the hype everything behind those beautiful doors is not what it seems. Run for the hills because you'll be unemployed so fast your head will spin.  less
Pros
Getting let go of.
Cons
Read in review above.
Good stepping stone job
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMarch 7, 2016
This was ok for me. Didn't have much opportunity for growth. Manger at the time was not good, and not personable. People I worked with were great.
you have to be perfect in order to keep your job.
Waxologist (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDFebruary 5, 2016
To keep your job, you need to be absorbing the information and technique insanely quickly. If you do not, they will fire you like they did me. They never told me their expectations and there was a huge lack of professionalism as well as abundant cattiness. All they care about it making a sale.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
cattiness, no professionalism, very very high expectations
Not a good experience...
Designated Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 2, 2016
I was the Designated Manager for several months for a brand new EWC in Louisville, KY. I wish I had never taken this job. The owners knew nothing about the company or how to run a business at all. Aside from poor ownership, the company has way too many rules, policies, and procedures. It is a very strict environment and I always felt like I was walking on eggshells and being micromanaged because of how strict everything is. Corporate employees are very rude and offer no help at all. As a manager, I received NO training whatsoever and was "thrown to the wolves" to figure out things on my own. Perhaps with decent ownership and more help/advice from Corporate, this could potentially be an okay place to work, but I had a bad experience. There is a very high turnover rate with employees nationwide with the company, and now I see why!
Pros
Since I was the manager, I received a salaried income
Cons
Strict rules, policies, and procedures; poor ownership
Fun for Gilry Girls
Guest Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJanuary 28, 2016
Management was awful and would always threaten to fire you if you didn't sale memberships. As a GSA you were responsible for checking in clients, membership sales, and collection of money. It was a good time being around other girls, but being in the beauty industry they always expected you to look perfect. The pay was entry level and the commission was hard to come by. I loved the wax they use there though its the best i've ever used!
Pros
free waxing
Cons
pay/healthcare/management
Great Experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJanuary 21, 2016
I learned so much in customer service and as well handling all customer issues. Since is was a full staff of girls everyone treated everyone like family. The best part working is going to dinner with the team of girls and having fun outside of work. During work is busy day multi phone lines, checking in and out guest, as well organization.
Exciting and easy goals
Guest Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJJanuary 19, 2016
Exciting and easy daily, weekly and monthly goals to reach. Commission based so monetary incentives are plenty. Advertisement could improve.

2.6