Evansville State Hospital Employee Reviews

Great Place To Work
Staff Development Secretary (Former Employee) –  Evansville, IN 47714May 5, 2017
The Evansville State Hospital was a great place to work. If given the opportunity, I would go back. I was able to work in different departments and learn many skills that have helped me out today.
Pros
Learned A lot
Cons
Worked as a temporary/contract employee for seven years
Great Learning Experience
MSW Intern (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 23, 2016
I love being an intern at ESH. They treat you well and encourage you to attend and participate in different groups. They also encourage you to interact with the patients, which can be daunting at first, but it is an amazing experience. Building a rapport with the patients has been my favorite part because it allows me to look past their illness and really see them as people. My co-workers are really nice too. The hardest part of my job is not taking work home with me. I have learned how to do assessments, discharge planning, discharge referrals, charting, and so much more.
Responsibility was heavy as at times the RNs were given 3 to 4 units to manage.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Evansville, IN 47715September 9, 2016
I enjoyed the mental health aspect of nursing. Enjoyed my co-workers and the Physicians I was blessed to work with. Responsibilities included supervising CNAs, QMAs, and LPNs as well as managing up to 3 - 4 units a day and over seeing and providing care for the patients on those units. I was also assigned to various commities, attended weekly team meetings and conducted Nursing programs for the patients.
Pros
Steady work with awesome benefits
Cons
Demanding work load and Mandatory Overtime.
Working with people with psychological problems was challenging, yet rewarding.
Behavioral Health Recovery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 29, 2016
I really enjoyed working with adults with social and psychological problems. I was able to make a difference in the lives of people who may not have been able to make it on their own in society. It was very rewarding to see people come in that needed so much help and could not function in society, and then seem them leave able to control their own emotions and function in society
Pros
Making a difference in people's lives
Cons
Insurance benefits
I enjoyed my time there.
Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 7, 2015
Great place to work to gain experience working with the most severely mentally ill persons. It was very satisfying to see their progress and be successfully discharged to a community placement. My co-workers were friendly and professional. The management is working on improving communication and implementing Trauma Informed Care standards and practices.
Pros
Lots of paid holidays and 8 hour work days including 30 min for lunch.
Cons
Communication
productive
Behavioral Attendant (Former Employee) –  evansville, inMay 5, 2015
taking care of patients and assisting with anything needed done. Making sure book work is done every shift and checking on them while they're sleeping.
Good job
Psychiatric Attendant (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 9, 2014
I liked the opportunity to work for this facility. The team members were nice, the benefits were great and the checks were very nice.
Pros
Scheduled overtime ( you can basically create your own income in addition to your 80 hours)
Cons
Mandatory overtime ( you may be made to stay over if they are short staffed at times)
Challenging work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INNovember 12, 2013
When I first started I would be assigned 3 units of males and the alcohol unit. Later when more nurses were hired, I was given the duty of 2nd shift charge nurse of men's maximum security. The hardest part of the job was to reiterate to male attendants that when a patient become hostile, they are not to retaliate and to constantly remind them these patients are ill and not always responsible for behaviors. The best part of the job was finding a patient who could go home or to a less restrictive unit.
Pros
We could go to the cafeteria to eat, we had consistence breaks.
Cons
We had to go through locked doors.
The Evansville State Hospital was wonderful and very professional.
Foodservice Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 20, 2013
I loved the State Hospital. All the staff that I enteracted with knew what they were doing and were quite professional. They were rated one of the best state facilities in Indiana at that time. Benifits were exceptional.
Interesting
Executive Assistant to Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 29, 2013
Great place to learn about business from people who had been doing it for years.
Productive environment and fulfilling
Psychiatric Attendant (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 10, 2013
Enjoy being employed at ESH and working with the patients. Love interacting with them. Management has been very good to me in the almost 3 yrs I have been employed there. Co-workers really work well together. Hardest part of the job is seeing the really young patients that you know are probably going to be there for a long time, if not forever. Maybe because I have a 23 yr old daughter of my own. I can only imagine how I would feel. Do enjoy helping and talking and more importantly, listening to the patients.
Pros
Good health and life insurance benefits.
Cons
None that I can think of.
Patient Care
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 25, 2013
Help in assisting patients with daily living. Help with all linens and assist patients in any thing that they need.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Rewarding
Food Service Worker/ Production (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 4, 2013
Working for the State Hospital was a very rewarding experience. I served meals to the patients and staff. Working there we were also responsible for serving their family parties Christmas parties and food for special occasion. It felt good to be helping these people.
There was also alot of voluntary overtime there and I was able to work alot of it.
Pros
overtime
Cons
state no longer runs food service
Not a bad place to work, just bad hours
Nurse 4 (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INDecember 31, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the patients. Psychiatric nursing has always been one of my passsions, but I do feel like I am missing out on certain skill sets that I should learn, being that I am a newly graduated nurse. My typical day at work consists of checking charts for new orders, performing patient treatments, doing med checks on the pocmar system, and assessing each patient for mood changes, suicidal ideations, and overall well being.
Pros
vacation, sick, and personal time
Cons
third shift hours-1830-0730
over all a nice place too work for worked there for twenty 28 years
qma (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 21, 2012
enjoyed working with the pts and staff we woked as a team help pts with daily living skills seeing the pt achive goals set for them learning from the pts
Pros
working with different types of people
Cons
managment could be more understanding of staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Evansville State Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2