Eversource Energy Employee Reviews in United States

Eversource Energy
Coordinator of Training and Work Methods (Current Employee) –  Meridan, CTJuly 4, 2016
Excellent benefits package. What I enjoyed most is being able to share my extensive experience with my students to prepare them for a safe career in the Natural Gas Industry. I pride myself on stressing the importance of safety, because to me, Safety is Paramount!
decent corporate workplace - good benefits package
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJune 22, 2016
Overall a good company - very hierarchical though. Senior management takes itself a little too seriously. They are working on bringing the recently acquired Northeast Utilities organization into the 21st century of corporate America which is being met with significant resentment from legacy employees. Typical corporate benefits package - medical plans better than average - time off policies worse than average
Great place to work$$$$
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Tilton, NHJune 2, 2016
Pretty easy job once you know what you are doing. Older crew is old school and sometimes set in their ways but very knowledgeable. The job has changed to automated with more collections. Still a great place to work.
Pros
lots of overtime, storm restoration, reconnects
Cons
Hardest part of the job was staying busy, workload
Manager Electric Service Operations (Current Employee) –  HartApril 22, 2016
Excellent company to work for. Good benefits and salary. Enjoy being on the management team. Refreshing management style since the merger in 2012.
Well organized company
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 5, 2016
Lots of things to learn as a Coop, real do something useful for senior engineer, pre-study, model the circuit. People are generally nice and the pace is not too fast.
Your replaceable
Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  New HampshireApril 5, 2016
I worked for PSNH, now Eversource for 9 years. There is no pay consistency. During storms, some make regular pay and others, double time and a half. Non union start with 3 weeks vacation while union starts with 2. Unless your a lineman, not much mobility. HR is not helpful in aiding others who want to progress and tend to "Red Flag the ones that push the issue. The new Eversource will see you and your experience down the road if you try to stand your ground. It's not the worst place to work but, if you do what your told and keep your mouth shut, you should be ok.
Pros
Pay (if your union) and the benefits.
Cons
Management doesn't want to hear it, It's the way we've always done it!, Work you butt off if non-union.
Performance is increasing.....but
Construction Representative (Former Employee) –  Tolland, CTApril 1, 2016
I have been in this company for 12+ years as it has transitioned from Northeast Utilities to Eversource Energy. There is continuing labor strife and the fatigue on the workforce is apparent in nearly every day experiences. As I work in management, I work to show empathy for workers but I can see both sides of the coin; management and labor. I go out of my way to promote a positive culture, reassure people when I can that things will eventually improve. After 3-4 years, there is yet, no "light at the end of the tunnel." With things in a high state of flux, I am wondering if I might find a more promising challenge in another company.
As a Construction Representative, working mostly on Electric Distribution jobs, I enjoy the freedom that I have to accomplish my work assignments. I enjoy building good working and positive relationships with the Contractors that I help to manage and all stakeholders. Decision makers like associating with people who are "plugged-in" and enjoy making a success of whatever comes their way. I am a part of a good working team, as we work together in support of one another.
Pros
Freedom to innovate to manage own resources and refine workflow.
Cons
Uncertainty as the company continues restructure itself
Not bad
Senior Event Planner (Current Employee) –  Berlin, CTMarch 27, 2016
I work here currently and have enjoyed it. They are very customer service oriented and thorough. The people who work there are great but there aren't that many perks.
After merger this is a very poor company.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Berlin, CTMarch 13, 2016
I have worked in my job for 10 years with very little to no advancement. My group was 6+ people and now only myself. There is always to much work and yet you still have some people and managers who do very little. If you are one of the few chosen you can rise through the ranks regardless of what little knowledge you may have of the industry or department. The company is continually outsourcing jobs and there is a strong negative employee morale issue.
benefits
Cons
1950 style management, lack of any career development
Was a great place to work before...
Computer Systems Engineer (Storage Administration) (Former Employee) –  Berlin, CTMarch 9, 2016
Once Northeast Utilities merged with NStar (and before the company was renamed "Eversource"), the NU IT department was a well-oiled machine, comprised of hundreds of dedicated employees. Many had decades of experience at NU, but the new senior management decided that all of that experience was too costly to maintain, and outsourced 80+ percent of the IT business to South Asian companies. Since then, the IT workplace has been described as "dismal" at best. This same pattern of outsourcing appears to be headed to other sections of the company, like Payroll and HR. This company is probably not a good career choice for anyone at this point.
Pros
Not many, if any.
Cons
Low worker enthusiasm, no long-term IT career paths visible.
Busy call center
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHMarch 4, 2016
If you don't mind feeling degraded daily, then this job is for you. No prospects for movement. Outsourcing in all areas.
Pros
There will alwaysbe a need for electricity
Cons
Micromanagement
Productive, professional, essential workplace
Electrical System Control Center - Intern (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHFebruary 25, 2016
Worked 40hr weeks as an intern in the Electrical System Control Center, aiding the dispatchers who control the transmission lines in New Hampshire. I typically performed analysis of the power system and alarm system and produced reports for my supervisor's boss, who is firm but fair.
Pros
Super friendly coworkers
Cons
Did not always feel useful
Good for entry-level individual contributors. Stay away otherwise
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutFebruary 25, 2016
Union direct reports have better benefits, get more time off, and make more money than their supervisors. Non-union employees work 12-24 hour shifts during storms for no pay while union employees are put on double time and are ensured rest time. Conflicting goals set by upper management; in order to meet one, the other suffers. Manager level and up are in perpetual fear for their jobs. The "lucky" ones that haven't had their jobs eliminated now have 2 to 4 times as many direct reports across 3 states, much more responsibility, for the same salary pre-merger. Executive leadership has created a culture of fear and no one suggests different ways to do things. Mistakes or inefficient operations are perpetuated. Anyone with the old pension can tell you to the month when they are leaving, some to the day. Employee morale is in the toilet, the negativity alone has caused many to leave the company, unable to leave it at work and impacting their home lives. Many of the company's most talented workers have left, leaving those needing more time for their pension who have emotionally checked out, those incapable of finding a job elsewhere, or those who think they will reap the rewards of everyone else leaving for paid overtime or a better work/life balance. The bonus, which is the only part of the compensation package that makes this place pay better than other companies, is always rumored to being taken away or weakened significantly.

If you are an engineer coming out of school or a craft worker, it is not a bad place to work. You will gain valuable experience and can build
  more... your resume here in a number of ways, as internal mobility is very high. You can gain experience here outside of your background to transition into a new career role. But there is no reason anyone should aspire to become part of management here, and most front line supervisors would regress if they were allowed to do so.  less
Pros
Compensation better than average if bonus remains, extra contributions to your 401K, not as stable as it once was but still a fairly stable job
Cons
Inept and insecure top management, Everything in a constant state of flux, Storm work on nights and weekends is uncompensated, Negative employee morale
Helping the aging workforce and extending careers to their fullest potential
Ergonomics Injury Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berlin, CTJanuary 23, 2016
This is a contract position. The best explanation is the ability to help the workers and halt the stress and strain on the aging workforce. When the worker says that is great, I feel better, I can really use that type of procedure and technique and apply it immediately. We have been seeking this type of health benefit for our company.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Driving distances
Summary
Supervisor, Distribution Lines (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 27, 2015
Provided leadership to ensure the safe, timely and efficient completion of all work efforts relating to the construction, operation, maintenance, and emergency restoration of the electric distribution system. Planned, scheduled, coordinated, and supervised all Line Department activity in various assigned areas of responsibility. Ensured effective coordination among and between individuals and departments in the district/division. Actively promoted and enforced a safety-first work environment and positive safety culture. Demonstrated a customer-focus commitment and ensured department members deliver the best possible customer experience
Pros
Power/Energy Industry
Cons
Northeast Culture
Rewarding work with challenges
IT Consultant (in-house) (Current Employee) –  Berlin, CTOctober 24, 2015
Overall, I find it very rewarding to provide electricity and gas to our community. I have worked with some innovated technologies and great people. I am constantly solving problems that make a difference.

Since the merger, morale has deteriorated. Budgets and staffing levels decreased. Workloads increased. We have been assigned some ambitious projects with uncomfortably aggressive deadlines. Contractors are used frequently.

IT was outsourced, and nearly 50% of IT staff was let go in 2014.

Be prepared, you will do storm support and on-call support. I worked over 12 hours a day until power is restored which was several days. In my area of IT, I am on-call 7x24 for up to 180 days a year. Storm duty and on-call are unpaid, but your salary and bonuses are above average to make up for this.

Another challenge/opportunity is many of the remaining IT leadership will be retiring over the next 2 to 5 years. The good news is plenty opportunities for advancement for ambitious, skilled, IT leader. The downside is a large amount of experience and historical knowledge will be leaving.
Pros
Rewarding, good & bright colleagues, above average salary & benefits
Cons
team have small numbers of member & no depth, on-call, outsourced IT, stress
A decent working environment
PROJECT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Berlin, CTOctober 22, 2015
After a rocky merger with N-Star, there is still instability and change occurring. For the most part, eversource is a good company to work for and wants to be a innovator to the industry.
Pros
training and education
Cons
reduction in benefits, layoffs
Productive place to work and learn alot in the ultiity field
Associate Meter Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berlin, CTOctober 3, 2015
Great place to work and gain experience and work with the public giving and providing excellent customer service.

Company treats there employee great
Pros
great staff
Cons
n/a
Nice place to work
Distributive Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Berlin, CTSeptember 26, 2015
A nice place to work but I somehow worked my way out of the job. I would have liked being employed here longer. The most enjoyable part of this job were the people in the Distributive services department.
Productive environment for professional and hard-working individuals
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 20, 2015
Eversource is a productive utility company with many ongoing projects. There are a lot of expectations and always work to do. It is a great job to have that pays off well with benefits.

4.2