Job Description –
The Accounting Associate will prepare and maintain accurate financial reports and accounting files for four to nine charter school clients. Depending on the team structure, the Accounting Associate will report directly to the Accounting Manager or the VP of School Finance.
Essential Job Duties:
- Prepare and maintain accurate financial reports and accounting files for budgeting and accounting purposes. Typical tasks include performing weekly and monthly bank reconciliations, preparing payroll journal entries, and preparing monthly financial statements/reports for clients as well as their chartering agencies as required.
- Maintain accounting records and back up files for journal entries, deposits, etc.
- Generate, review, analyze, and communicate financial data that reflects actual financial performance against approved budgets.
- Collect data, perform research and assist with analysis of accounting transactions.
- Compile and prepare entries to general ledger accounts.
- Review and audit general ledger entries for accuracy (and balancing as needed). Prepare year-end journal entries including accruals and depreciation.
- Document accounting transactions, using procedures defined by internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepare information requested by year end auditors. Be able to explain journal entries made.
- Process payroll for clients via Paychex, calculate final check amounts and maintain payroll files.
- Manage payroll deductions for health and welfare, garnishments, 403b, etc.
- Manage new hire form submissions from clients to insure correct documentation for payroll.
- Determine eligibility for retirement plans for new employees.
- Directly interface with client for inquiries and information gathering.
- Train office managers at school sites on ExED procedures and strong internal controls.
- Assist in other business services related activities such as insurance renewals, compliance reporting, etc.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
Non Essential Job Duties:
- Marginal tasks performed include the operation of standard office equipment.
Equipment Use and Physical Demands:
- Telephones and mobile phones are used frequently.
- Computers and laptops are used frequently.
- Copiers and fax machine are used frequently.
- Personal automobile used frequently.
- Indoor office environment.
- Long periods of time sitting and occasional periods of time driving.
- Occasional lifting requirements of 25lbs
Required Education and Essential Skills:
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
- Knowledge of GAAP, business principles and standard operating practices.
- Demonstrated accounting background/experience.
- Knowledge of MIP strongly preferred.
- Computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word & Excel).
- Excellent organizational skills with good attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and maintain effective and cooperative relationships with stakeholders.
- Interest and commitment to education reform.
The salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance and retirement plan.
Indeed - 13 months ago
Excellent Education Development (“ExED”) is a non-profit organization that provides business services to charter schools. The...