Background: Exalt Education is a non-profit organization that provides dedicated educators with the professional tools, systems and supports to serve children and youth living in poverty conditions. To achieve its desired impact, Exalt has developed a research-based, best-practices academic design that can be replicated quickly and effectively.
Currently, there are over 31.0 million Americans ages birth to 18 who reside in low-income homes. The number of low-income children has been growing for over 15 years. Without higher quality, more scalable forms of public education, over half of these children are unlikely to obtain a high school diploma. Far fewer will earn a college degree. Exalt exists so that low-income children can close the achievement gap with their more affluent peers, compete for competitive colleges and advanced careers, and realize the American dream.
The Finance Director is responsible for ensuring that the Academy manages its financial resources in a manner that ensures that it can fulfill its mission and vision. Primary responsibilities include: (A) managing finance and accounting including budget, procurement, bill payment and contract negotiation; (B) working with the executive director to develop and execute the Academy’s strategic business plan; and (C) managing business affairs in concert with the operations manager, including operations, human resources, administration and compliance.
1. Financial management
- Prepare monthly financial statements & present to board at regularly scheduled meetings
- Implement financial controls, board policies & approved procedures
- Day-to-day book-keeping and accounting
- Manage procurement, inventory, accounts payable & accounts receivable
- Manage cash flow position, including banking relationships, short-term and long-term financing
- Management and distribution of payroll and payroll deductions
- Primary staff contact for annual audit
- Manage against 3-5 year business plan in close coordination with Executive Director
- Develop & manage annual operating budget in close coordination with Executive Director
2. Public reporting
- Manage public reporting to state & federal agencies, including:
- APSCN financial management system
- Federal Child Nutrition reporting
- Arkansas Teacher Retirement System
- All other Federal funding
- Other public reporting as necessary, including student information & staffing
- Attend all necessary trainings
- Ensure that organization is operating in full compliance with all applicable state and federal regulatory requirements
3. Administration & service oversight
- Back office administration & vendor relations
- Technology & facility planning & management
- Insurance including D&O, Liability, Unemployment, Other
- Transportation, traffic control & security
- Cleaning & maintenance
- Food Service
4. Do whatever it takes to make sure that the 2 schools in the Exalt Education network are successful.
5. Fulfill other responsibilities as assigned by the Founder & CEO and/or required to fulfill the national organization’s mission and strategic objectives.
- Manage payroll, bill payment & other duties during startup phases of Exalt Education
- Members of Exalt work together as a team to ensure that the Academy is successful in all aspects of its activities. This position will only be determined to be successful if the administrative, financial, operational and managerial activities of the organization are healthy and effective.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting or Finance
- Experience in Government & Non-Profit Accounting Preferred
- APSCN experience highly preferred
- Proficient in Excel & Word
- Proficient in computer based accounting systems
- Proficient in written and verbal communication
- Ability to multitask at a high level and meet multiple deadlines in a timely manner
- Highly organized with attention to detail