Examiner.com

Examiner.com Employee Reviews

more like a blog hobby
Colorado Springs Haunted Places Examiner (Former Employee), Denver, Colorado & NationalJune 19, 2015
Pros: time off, variety of topics, support, fun
Cons: extreme low pay, deadlines, promotion oriented, difficult article submission
In all the years and all the articles I produced even though I was a top rated reporter I only made 25 dollars. Total. nice blag site if you don't care about making money but not a real wage earner.
Salary is Not Good
freelance writer (Current Employee), Long Island, NYJune 4, 2015
very little compensation…the pay rate dropped dramatically, and there are currently no incentives to make extra money.
For self starters who want to promote their own businesses
Examiner (Journalist) (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 12, 2015
Pros: The website is on a stable platform. It does not freeze or crash.
Cons: The pay is really bad!
Examiner.com is for self starters who want to promote their own personal businesses by having a column on the website where they publish articles within their area of expertise. The company pays straight commission and their rate is grave; even the Rock Star columnists with extremely high readership can't get paid. They do it anyway in order to promote their own businesses, or as a volunteer for the sake of community service.
Online workplace
Freelance Journalist (Current Employee), HomeFebruary 26, 2015
Work at your own pace and on your own time. Very easy to get along with. Deadlines were very liberal. I learned all about writing proper journalism and making good edits.
Empowering
Examiner (Current Employee), OnlineFebruary 24, 2015
I have freedom to write what I'm passionate about. I learn more about my topic as I write and research. The hardest part is not knowing what articles will be popular, but I learn through using Google Analytics. The best part is I can work as often as I choose.
A stepping stone to other things
Independent Contractor (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 8, 2015
Examiner provides an excellent opportunity to gain entry into other opportunities and promote causes or interests of your own.
relaxed atmosphere with individual motivation
Free-lance writer (Current Employee), online job so my location could be anywhereJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: being influenced by diane rehm is an honor and a priveledge
Cons: i often worried about not being good enough
Working with the examiner is very much like working at a typical high school newspaper. WE were very luck as personalities such as Diane Rehm would be very involved within the organization and she did donate a telescope to Hood College. She was very motivational to those of us who take writing for a paper very seriously. I was lucky to have her for a mentor
Part-Time Fun
Independent Contractor (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: your opinion is heard
Cons: compensation
I basically wrote for Examiner.com to promote Filipino events and businesses. I noticed that I would write about numerous events or businesses, but I didn't feel I was being compensated for the time that I took to write the article. I continued writing for the Examiner.com, but I consider it as volunteer writing to help promote the Filipino events/businesses.
Easy place to work for.
Freelance Writer (Current Employee), TelecommuteJanuary 1, 2015
A typical consists of producing articles, finding photos and promoting on social media sites.
Great place to work!
Cleveland Human Resource Examiner - writer (Current Employee), Denver, COOctober 27, 2014
I take a typical issue in the HR area, conduct research, then write about my take on the area and it's published.
Good job for those who love posting articles
Alpharetta Christian Living Examiner (Current Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 26, 2014
Pros: very creative
Cons: time factor, only able to contact on the internet
For the past few years, the Examiner went through a lot of major changes. Now it was much easier to post without rigid guidelines. One was able to write in all genres of writing.
Great for columnist
Contributing Writer (Current Employee), Gettysburg, PAJuly 29, 2014
If you enjoy writing, Examiner is for you. Check the Examiner website to see what positions and interests you may like to contribute to.
A Writer's Dream
Boxing/Fight Sports Writer (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 22, 2014
Pros: independance, freedom and autonomy
Cons: limited income potential
Examiner.com has been great in kickstarting my career in journalism and publishing. I work from home, have no deadline or ceiling, and I'm allowed to use all of my creative ability without restriction.
A decent working for minimal pay
Beat Writer (Current Employee), Santa Clara, CAMay 16, 2014
Pros: being able to work through social media, flexibility
Cons: no healthcare, no true salary
This job requires a person to write and be knowledgeable about the topic that you're writing about. In my case, it's the San Francisco 49ers where you must be accurate in what you do.

The difficulties can be writing in a timely fashion and making stories on the fly. This includes writing about the games or transactions of the team.

It's also a job where you can get noticed and exposed to the world of journalism. You can learn from professional journalists who have been in the business for decades while also studying about the team.
Fair amount of writing assignments
MAGAZINE (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 16, 2014
Pros: having my articles online to keep me current
Cons: no monetary or extemely little monetary compensation
I love writing for Examiner.com A typical day is one following an in depth interview with a subject or the attendance of an event. This is an occupation done from home.
I am pleased when a single project is completed.
Examiner.com has very low compensation for articles.
DEMAND STUDIOS (Current Employee), Denver, COMarch 18, 2014
Examiner.com has very low compensation for articles. I have written a number of articles about the museums in Denver, CO, but I do not write often due to the low compensation.
Helpful fun experience rather than financially lucrative
Writer (Current Employee), Young HarrisMarch 17, 2014
Pros: great experience
Cons: pay
Required to keep your examiner page up to date. Examiner taught great writing, review, and editing skills. The management was all electronic which was convenient. There was never any face to face interaction between employees. The hardest part of this job would be finding something to write about and choosing to write over doing a job that pays.
Great for flexible schedule
Writer/Editor (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 13, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: benefits were non existent
If you are good at managing your own work schedule, this is a great company to work for.
They Get You with Candy
Pro Wrestling Columnist (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 8, 2014
They tell you that you can make a lot of money when they are trying to get you into their grasp. Then you have to write till your arms fall off to get anything into your bank account. They also do not have the readers that you need to get the amount they desire for them to pay you.
Why I would recommend working at Examiner.com
Freelance Writer (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 28, 2013
Pros: national and local exposure opportunity
Cons: pay is dependent upon productivity; should have a 2nd, more reliable form of employment
Great job for someone who needs professional writing experience.

1 2 3 4