Examiner.com Employee Reviews

Web Content for Advertising
Ad/Marketing Writer, Online (Former Employee) –  RemoteOctober 10, 2017
This position gave me an opportunity to share the knowledge I have in various topics. Allowed me to submit as many articles for approval as I could write but was a temporary position that let all the writers go after they accumulated enough articles for their website.
Pros
Unlimited work allowed
Cons
Short period of time allowed to work
Company is Closed
Writer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2017
Examiner.com is no longer in existence and therefore there is no need to review.

I wrote articles about live music in Chicago and it was a rewarding experience. It was freelance. No benefits. Low pay.
I started out working very hard and putting in lots of hours for this company, but I never received any compensation for my work.
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 26, 2017
This company went out of business at the beginning of this year, January 1, 2017. I enjoyed the work; and I got lots of practice. I started off writing locally and eventually wrote nationally.
Pros
I was able to work at my own pace while attending college full time.
Cons
I was never compensated for my work.
Company is now out of business
Online Content Developer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 25, 2017
I did reporting on local news in Raleigh area. Raleigh is the capitol city of North Carolina, so it has a very active government and political scene. I covered other areas of interest like non-profits needing publicity to raise funds.

I used my home computer to compose articles, then used proprietary software to upload stories to Examiner.com's site.
Pros
Learned how to write and produce online news content
Cons
practically no pay
amazing place to reach people interested in psychology.
Psychology and Addiction Examiner Writer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 9, 2017
This was just a job with no supervision, I need to submit my articles and I got paid by amount of people that read them.
I enjoy working for Examiner.
Closed
Baltimore Music Contributor & Concert Photographer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 31, 2017
This was a wonderful stepping stone for my writing and photography career. Unfortunately Examiner.com has shut down last year and is no longer in business.
They will not pay you
Classics Editor (Former Employee) –  onlineMay 13, 2017
It is just a scam to get people to write content for their web site. They are always rolling out new tricks to get "traffic" to your content, but if you write about anything that is not gossip or entertainment related, then you will not be paid.
Pros
Cons
not getting paid for your work
Examiner.com
Local Contributor (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLMay 10, 2017
examiner.com is a good starting place if you want to be a journalist or writer. Do not expect pay unless you sell your page. It is just a place where you can practice your chops as a writer/journalist.
Pros
Allows you to grow as a writer/journalist
Cons
No pay unless major marketing on your behalf is made.
Wrote Articles
Minneapolis Examiner.com (Former Employee) –  Menomonie, WIJanuary 18, 2017
Play game and capture game play footage to enhance reviews
Write an unbiased review about each game
Learned how to write a professional review
Learned a little bit about photography
Independent contractor writing job
Writer (Independent Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Huntley, ILDecember 7, 2016
I don't believe this company is in business as such and has merged with another online news organization.

Basically, you would pick a subject and write about it, get paid by the "clicks" made to your articles.
Pros
Gave helpful suggestions and links to add to articles
Cons
straight commission
Personal endeavor
Writer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 2, 2016
The Examiner is something I do in my spare time. no rating is necessary. As a freelance writer, I am able to write when I have time. With school and a full-time job, the examiner understands. No pay is involved, only getting people to sign up for the reading which is free.
Pros
Freelance writing
Excellent Environment
SF Bay Area Moderate Conservative (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 4, 2016
A writers dream and a dream national website for my talents as a writer/author. I covered 234 US City Editions and over 1600 columns and 27 individual writing awards.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Very flexible and productive environment
Seattle Early Childhood Education Examiner (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 16, 2016
This company is very flexible when it comes to work schedule, while at the same time encouraging employees to work in a timely manner.
Good as portfolio builder, bad as income source
Politics Writer (Former Employee) –  Telecommuting PositionApril 9, 2016
I signed up for Examiner.com because nowadays, many jobs ask for writing samples, and it's great to be able to say I've had my writing published online. However, I never saw a cent from the articles I wrote.

The website is heavily based on how many clicks and views your articles get, and your compensation depends on it. This means you're responsible for promoting your stories and getting your articles out there as much as possible. That is fair, but then the fine print: You only get paid once you hit the minimum payout. So if you make $2 or less per article (which is the average amount reported from other examiners), you won't actually get paid for that $2. They'll only pay you through PayPal once you hit the minimum payout, which, last I recall, was at least $25-$50. A lot of writers quickly get disillusioned by this process and hate that they have to hustle so much for a few dollars.

The acceptance rate for Examiner.com writers is tough though--I think only 1/3 of applicants actually become writers. The application process requires you to submit at least one writing sample, and you get to pick what kind of "examiner" you want to be.
Pros
Flexibility in journalistic focus, fun doing research for articles
Cons
Poor pay, pay-per-click dynamic
My days working with Examiner.com was pleasant
Writer--Author (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 4, 2016
I enjoyed working for Examiner.com--they taught me literally how to write a great article--I became a better writer with this company! They assured me of being a great writer by offering me double pay!

I aim to work for them again!
Pros
Write when I wanted to!
Must love being a reporter to work here
Staff Writer/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 4, 2016
As a staff writer, the hours are pretty much set around whatever assignments you are working on. Basically going by a 830-5 time frame. If you are working in the editorial department its mandatory to stay until the paper is sent to the presses every Wednesday night, even if it means leaving early Thursday morning. Vacation days and sick leave are a plus but you can hardly use them. Management is pretty horrible in the way of direction although no micromanaging, which is a plus.
Pros
vacation and sick pay, get to go to fun events for free, meet interesting people
Cons
long hours, work weekends, no appreciation, weekly deadlines
I wish I had stuck with them
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 2, 2015
But I was just looking to bolster my portfolio. That didn't last long. Working for Fanlala drained every possible bit of drive I had.
I publish articles on a weekly basis
Free-Lance Journalist (Current Employee) –  New York CitySeptember 24, 2015
I really enjoyed this position because it allowed me to thrive and utilize my skills to their maximum potential on a daily basis.
Volunteer Writer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Evansvill, INxSeptember 4, 2015
It is a place where your work can get lost. I really just want more exposure for my writing. I found it online, but just wasn't that impressed.
Wrote articles for the Salt Lake City area.
Examiner (Former Employee) –  Magazine, ARSeptember 3, 2015
Wrote articles for the area of Salt Lake City on all sides of its effects of health and fitness. I worked from home on my own schedule. I constantly looked everywhere for new material to write on.
Pros
Work from home with my own schedule.
Cons
No room for increase in the company.