Examiner.com Employee Reviews

Good as portfolio builder, bad as income source
Politics Writer (Former Employee) –  Telecommuting PositionApril 9, 2016
I signed up for Examiner.com because nowadays, many jobs ask for writing samples, and it's great to be able to say I've had my writing published online. However, I never saw a cent from the articles I wrote.

The website is heavily based on how many clicks and views your articles get, and your compensation depends on it. This means you're responsible for promoting your stories and getting your articles out there as much as possible. That is fair, but then the fine print: You only get paid once you hit the minimum payout. So if you make $2 or less per article (which is the average amount reported from other examiners), you won't actually get paid for that $2. They'll only pay you through PayPal once you hit the minimum payout, which, last I recall, was at least $25-$50. A lot of writers quickly get disillusioned by this process and hate that they have to hustle so much for a few dollars.

The acceptance rate for Examiner.com writers is tough though--I think only 1/3 of applicants actually become writers. The application process requires you to submit at least one writing sample, and you get to pick what kind of "examiner" you want to be.
Pros
Flexibility in journalistic focus, fun doing research for articles
Cons
Poor pay, pay-per-click dynamic
Must love being a reporter to work here
Staff Writer/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 4, 2016
As a staff writer, the hours are pretty much set around whatever assignments you are working on. Basically going by a 830-5 time frame. If you are working in the editorial department its mandatory to stay until the paper is sent to the presses every Wednesday night, even if it means leaving early Thursday morning. Vacation days and sick leave are a plus but you can hardly use them. Management is pretty horrible in the way of direction although no micromanaging, which is a plus.
Pros
vacation and sick pay, get to go to fun events for free, meet interesting people
Cons
long hours, work weekends, no appreciation, weekly deadlines
Independent contractor writing job
Writer (Independent Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Huntley, ILDecember 7, 2016
I don't believe this company is in business as such and has merged with another online news organization.

Basically, you would pick a subject and write about it, get paid by the "clicks" made to your articles.
Pros
Gave helpful suggestions and links to add to articles
Cons
straight commission
Wrote Articles
Minneapolis Examiner.com (Former Employee) –  Menomonie, WIJanuary 18, 2017
Play game and capture game play footage to enhance reviews
Write an unbiased review about each game
Learned how to write a professional review
Learned a little bit about photography
Personal endeavor
Writer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 2, 2016
The Examiner is something I do in my spare time. no rating is necessary. As a freelance writer, I am able to write when I have time. With school and a full-time job, the examiner understands. No pay is involved, only getting people to sign up for the reading which is free.
Pros
Freelance writing
Examiner.com
Metal Music Examiner (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 8, 2013
Working as a freelance writer for Examiner.com has been a fun and fulfilling experience. I'm able to immerse myself in the music and lifestyle that I love and share my passion with my readers. I find that with every article i write, I improve not just as a journalist, but as a lover of music. As far as the hardest part of my job, it would have to be a tie between meeting my deadlines and finding a topic to write about. The music industry moves so fast that sometimes it's hard to keep up. But, overall, knowing that I'm not only benefiting the people I'm writing about by getting their name in the press, as well as benefiting my readers by introducing them to all the goings on in the local industry.
Pros
flexible shcedule, work from home, familiar topics
Cons
compensation system, availability of content to write about, time constraints
Work was great; The company did not pay us...nor is there room for advancement.
Freelance writer as a food examiner (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 6, 2013
I love freelance writing, and the open hours work out nicely when juggling other work commitments and family. However, the Examiner needs a total revamping. While I understand the need to prove yourself as a writer, thus paving the way for so many "intern" positions, eventually a person would like to get paid for the work that they do. As a food examiner, I was paying to go to restaurants, and then writing the articles, never receiving compensation. When their site was revamped, it was very confusing for people to navigate, so most people in our area started going to Columbus Alive.
Pros
Hours work nice
Cons
Zero Compensation, often times coming out of own pocket for position.
A decent working for minimal pay
Beat Writer (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 16, 2014
This job requires a person to write and be knowledgeable about the topic that you're writing about. In my case, it's the San Francisco 49ers where you must be accurate in what you do.

The difficulties can be writing in a timely fashion and making stories on the fly. This includes writing about the games or transactions of the team.

It's also a job where you can get noticed and exposed to the world of journalism. You can learn from professional journalists who have been in the business for decades while also studying about the team.
Pros
Being able to work through social media, flexibility
Cons
No healthcare, no true salary
Its ok, but dont wrire for the money
Examiner HIV Examiner Durham NC (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 26, 2012
Its ok writing for the Examiner and I have always been an honest straightforward guy coming from a blue colllar backgroud, Marine, electrician. I think it is organized however the compensation plan is discouraging. The claims of making descent money should be questioned and challenged. I think it is possible to make maybe 50.00-100.00 a month but that would probably mean writing 3-44 articles a day. Im sure there are easier ways to make money by digging a ditch or washing windows on cars..maybe other topics do better.
Pros
something to do
Cons
see above
Excellent Environment
SF Bay Area Moderate Conservative (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 4, 2016
A writers dream and a dream national website for my talents as a writer/author. I covered 234 US City Editions and over 1600 columns and 27 individual writing awards.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Virtual Office that offers travel opportunities
Freelance Writer & Spa Consultant (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 6, 2013
• Specializing in the hospitality and spa industries, providing in-depth knowledge about these topics with a desire to share related insights with others.
• Publish articles on a weekly basis using SEO tools and skills to enhance and build readership.
• Individually work with owners, public relation firms and general managers of spas, resorts and boutique hotels and consult in the areas of operations, revenue generation, retail, training and staffing.
Pros
Travel, develop expertise on topics, flexibility
Cons
Compensation
Intellectually and monetarily rewarding for those who write well and understand marketing
Columnist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2013
A typical day consists of reviewing and analyzing news and national policy issues and writing considered articles for national consumption.

Individual managers are helpful and assist professional development. Overall management and policies could be less obtuse.
Pros
autonomy, intellectual stimulation and satisfaction
Cons
less-than-clear compensation policies
Part-Time Fun
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 23, 2015
I basically wrote for Examiner.com to promote Filipino events and businesses. I noticed that I would write about numerous events or businesses, but I didn't feel I was being compensated for the time that I took to write the article. I continued writing for the Examiner.com, but I consider it as volunteer writing to help promote the Filipino events/businesses.
Pros
Your Opinion Is Heard
Cons
Compensation
Very flexible and productive environment
Seattle Early Childhood Education Examiner (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 16, 2016
This company is very flexible when it comes to work schedule, while at the same time encouraging employees to work in a timely manner.
Independent Work Atmosphere with Opportunity for individual growth
Local Examiner, DC Historic Places (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2012
I am one of many freelance writers employed with Examiner.com. Examiner.com is a article based website that has presence in over 100 cities nationwide as well as overseas including Europe and Canada. It is a wonderful avenue of exposure for writers of all walks of life. Because they are informative articles and not opinion pieces it is much more credible than a blog site. Management focuses on quality control of each article and provides a number of helpful tools to improve traffic to your page including effective headlines and publishing frequency.
My compensation is based on the number of page views to my Local Examiner site, subscriptions to my page and advertising revenue. Because I am a Local Examiner based out of Washington, DC I write topic specific articles about Dc Historic Places which I love. I get to visit wonderfully historic buildings and areas in and around the nation's capital. The hardest part of this job is the proximity to my topic area, I live approximately 20 miles south of Washington, DC and it has been a real challenge making frequent trips to and from the city to research material for my articles.
Pros
networking, writing credibility, independent research, set your own hours
Cons
requires costly travelling, very low compensation, great presence on social media
Write as little or as much as you want every two months
Contributor - Columnist Examiner.com (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 10, 2012
I have enjoyed writing for the Examiner.com website. I am able to comment on items of importance to me on my timetable. It is important to write regular articles in order to develop a following. Compensation is based on views. If nobody is reading your pieces then you will not make money.
Pros
flexibility
Fair amount of writing assignments
MAGAZINE (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2014
I love writing for Examiner.com A typical day is one following an in depth interview with a subject or the attendance of an event. This is an occupation done from home.
I am pleased when a single project is completed.
Pros
Having my articles online to keep me current
Cons
no monetary or extemely little monetary compensation
If you love to write and need enhanced SEO results, this is the place for you!
National Online Examiner (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 9, 2013
A typical day here will depend on the writing schedule you set. Everything's mostly self-guided, once you have your general topic area that you should write about. I learned a lot about how to write to be compelling to a broader internet audience, and how to use this platform to enhance my own reputation as an expert in my field. Management's great and there when you need something, but for the most part, you hardly ever do. You're very much so in charge of your own work and the benefits and compensation you can earn based on publication. There's a vibrant online community across various social networks that help you connect with your "coworkers" and they're always willing to help and connect with you. The hardest part of the job is staying motivated, because it very much is a self-directed job, without a lot of hand-holding from management. Also, the pay sucks. The benefit in working here comes from the exposure you get and the enhanced search engine optimization (SEO) of your name and reputation. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to write about topics you enjoy, and seeing your own search engine results for your name and topic be ranked highest on any given result!
Pros
high search engine optimization (seo) exposure and the chance to improve your writing skills.
Cons
hard to remain motivated; the pay sucks, do it for the experience, not the money.
My days working with Examiner.com was pleasant
Writer--Author (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 4, 2016
I enjoyed working for Examiner.com--they taught me literally how to write a great article--I became a better writer with this company! They assured me of being a great writer by offering me double pay!

I aim to work for them again!
Pros
Write when I wanted to!
Salary is Not Good
freelance writer (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYJune 4, 2015
very little compensation…the pay rate dropped dramatically, and there are currently no incentives to make extra money.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Examiner.com. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8