Excel Academy Charter Schools Employee Reviews

Stay away!
Teacher (Lead and Co-Lead) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2017
No opportunities for growth. If you come in as a teacher that's all you will likely ever be. I taught there for a few years and in my time there maybe 4 teachers moved on to leadership positions. In that same amount of time we also had maybe six principals. They like who they like and if they like you you're good. And by they I mean administration. The leadership is very poor and there were clear prejudices within the staff. The students there are a dream and I would love to work with them again, but you couldn't pay me to go back there as a teacher. The curriculum changes every year. Under qualified teachers placed in upper grades due to shortages. VERY HIGH TURNOVER! This school's mission has went down the drain and it will never be the same. This is more of a business and not a school. Each year has gotten worse.
Pros
Students
Cons
No opportunities for growth, administration doesn't appreciate staff
Great services
Online instructor, one-on-one tutor (Current Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CAMay 30, 2017
High level educational services.The company is very well managed and organized . They keep up to date to all the current curriculum development. I would recommend it.
Fun!
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 27, 2017
If you like interacting with the youth and getting them active then this job is for you! Although challenging at time, it was fun to plan and carry out sports camps for young kids.
Pros
Fun, active
Cons
Odd hours
A challenging and rewarding place to work.
Special Day Class Teacher (Current Employee) –  Redding, CaApril 12, 2017
Working in a mental health environment with special education students is one of the most rewarding positions I have ever had. The administration and school staff are collaborative and supportive acting almost as another family. Each staff is respected for their talents and strengths and those are called upon fir development of the school and advancement of staff. I am lucky to work here.
A lot of turnover, unstable administration, failing school
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 23, 2017
The school would be better if the administration was better. The school has a high turnover rate. Teachers are very dissatisfied due to constant behavioral issues, last minute changes and a lack of focus on instruction.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short staffed, incompetent personnel
Very passionate work, opportunity to learn and
Head mixed martial arts instructor (Former Employee) –  4011 Plate Plaza Drive South Beloit IllinoisMarch 22, 2016
My experiences as an instructor for the Excel Academy have taught me much about respect and discipline. Every class, whether it be adult or kids, challenged my abilities to universally explain and articulate techniques. I always loved seeing my students progress and grow in their own styles; they are what made this job the most enjoyable experience. As far as co-workers I couldn't have been more fortunate to have the co-instructor that he had. He always had the same motivation and drive that I do, he only wants to see the best for everyone
Great place to work! Family type environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 5, 2015
My day starts at about 5:15a.m. I meet and greet parents as they drop-off their children. I answer the telephones providing information about our facility.
Staff of approximately 20 employees. Each month we receive at least 2 hours of training, which helps keep us informed, innovative, and fresh.
There was no hard part about my job, but if I had to choose I would say dealing with the different characteristics and personalities of each child and co-worker.
The most enjoyable part to me is teaching the children, watching them explore, and get excited when new ideas are introduced.
My day ends at 6:30p.m. yes, the day is long, but the results are so much worth it.
Pros
Interacting with the children
Cons
When someone calls in at the last minute
its fun place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  DORCHESTER, MAMay 6, 2015
first you feed the children's you have the activities prepared then free time but wonderful if you love children's. I learn a lot of things working with children's. my co-worker nice people to work with.
Pros
the children are wonderful
Cons
when the children leave the childcare and dont return
Excel Academy was dedicated to educating special needs kids
HR Director (Former Employee) –  Newark, OhioApril 17, 2014
Excel Academy was founded in 1995 on the philosophy of treating all children with Love, Dignity, and Respect. It had grown and evolved over time to incorporate a staff of 80+ and over 160 students in 2010.
Pros
Working with kids, saving those that school districts were ready to leave behind; great staff.
Cons
Weak Board of Directors
Great Opportunity
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 27, 2014
I was allowed to use my creativity here.The management and co workers were great.
Pros
Many training oppotunities.
Cons
Na

Want to know more about Excel Academy Charter Schools?

Ask a question
A great school to work at but they are closed now.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Opa-locka, FLMarch 3, 2014
In a typical day you never know what to expect, it's new and exciting every day. I learned how to manage a classroom setting. Management was very help and they took my concerns personal when helping resolve problems. Co-workers were help and willing to assist with any problems that may arise; a true team environment. The hardest part of the job was dealing with meeting the needs of the special needs students. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students.
Pros
Having someone to work directly with as a team to solve problems
Cons
Very long work days without much down time to yourself
fun workplace.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 14, 2013
I wouldn't have my child attend that daycare because of what I've seen with my own eyes. The way these daycare teachers treated the kids.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no breaks
Place to help teenagers in trouble
Executive Chef, Menu Planning, Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXMarch 23, 2013
A private school dedicated to helping our teenagers fight drug addiction and other habits. It was an exceptional place to work for. The staff at the end of the 12 years was good. The company has 300 schools and ten were closed, my location was one of the ten.
Pros
being able to help others, enjoyed creating menus
A great experience with children
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver ColoradoMarch 15, 2013
I loved working with children and teachers. A typical day would start with me leading a reading group and then a class activity. After that the teacher would explain a new subject and I would grade papers, and sometimes take them home. But activities varied from day to day. The most enjoyable part of the day is working with children and helping them see or understand something in a new way. There were no hardships that I faced so far. All of the coworkers are helpful and friendly and I learned a new role for myself, how to interact in the best way with younger children.
A great experience with children
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver ColoradoMarch 15, 2013
This is an exciting place to be at, to work with children and teachers. There are always different activities that I can take part in and help out, where I can use my skills and knowledge. I love working with children and teaching them something new as well as build new relationships and skills. This is a great experience.
a fun workplace
LEAD TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 25, 2012
working with children all day, cleaning, teaching all the basic skills
working with young people
Food Service Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 24, 2012
The impact that i had serving food to over 200 stundent was a great experience and the children love and respected me and love them as well.
Pros
learn new food short cuts
Cons
non
Quality Child Care
Lead teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 1, 2012
A typical day was spent teaching children. I learned what I needed to know to make sure i did my job correctly. My director was very understanding and helpful.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
no benefits
Child Care Center
Director (Current Employee) –  DORCHESTER, MAMay 3, 2012
I love working with the children. The children in center become family.