Excel Academy Public Charter School is seeking an Instructional Assistant/Substitute Teachers for the remainder of the 2012-13 academic year.
Instructional Assistants (IAs) are responsible for assisting teachers to ensure students’ academic achievement as well as contributing to a dynamic and rigorous school culture. They assist in responding to student data, providing small group and individualized instruction, and substituting for teachers when needed. IAs monitor and sustain a rigorous curriculum and high standards learning environment that focuses on achieving dramatic improvement in student academic achievement.
Instructional Assistants have a variety of responsibilities, including the following:
- Assist in educational and social development of scholars under the guidance and supervision of the Lead Teachers, Co-Teachers, and Teaching Fellows
- Help maintain student and classroom organization
- Assist in the implementation of the lesson plans
- Aid in the execution of bathroom, food service and recreational duties
- Substitute teach when a teacher is absent
Candidates should have the following qualifications and embody the following qualities:
- Instructional Assistants must comply with the Federal No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (“NCLB”) which requires that all instructional assistants or paraprofessionals working in Title I schools must be “highly qualified.” In order to be “highly qualified” under Section 1119 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, instructional paraprofessionals must have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (“GED”), and must meet one of the following requirements:
o Possess an Associate’s degree from an accredited college/university, or;
o Complete two years of full-time study (minimum 48 credit hours) at an accredited college/university;
o Successfully complete the ETS ParaPro Assessment with a passing score of at least 461.
- Mission Alignment: Commitment to educating girls for academic achievement and empowering girls to make healthy lifestyle choices.
- Values Alignment: Belief in the capacity of every girl for high academic achievement and a commitment to a creating a highly-structured, effective, and fun learning environment.
Excel Academy Public Charter School will provide pre-school through eighth grade girls a solid academic foundation and enrichment opportunities to prepare them to succeed in high school and college and to develop the skills and confidence they need to make healthy, positive lifestyle choices.