Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Employee Reviews

Excellus has improved
Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 31, 2016
I have worked at the company for 20+ yrs. I read all the past comments on this site and many are from past employees. some of their comments were valid and some not. Currently 2016/2017 the company has improved in culture and management. I have seen many years at the company and have seen very positive shift in the culture and breaking down of silos. More team work and praise on projects. I work in the front line staff and can say this I have seen a lot of good changes happening in the past two years. Not every area is perfect but each dept and division is different. I would recommend giving the company a try. Has good benefits and time off.
Pros
time off, cafe, culture is changing
Cons
long hours for open enrollment
Poductive and family/ fun oriented work enviroment
Customer Care Advocate - Medical Claims (Former Employee) –  Utica, NY 13501October 15, 2016
Great company to work for, treats employees like family and will go above and beyond to help any employee to succeed. Benefits were great, also showed a lot of appreciation for their employess
Pros
Cafeteria was very clean
Cons
N/A
Great Place To Work!
External Auditor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 1, 2016
I have been employed with Excellus BCBS for just about 5 years and couldn't be happier. It is my hope to stay with Excellus for my entire career. I have grown into 2 different positions since starting with the company- which proves how much they invest in employee development. The company truly cares about it's employees and has been certified in 2016 as a Great Place to Work.
Free Food for performance not $$.
Customer Care Advocate (Former Employee) –  DeWitt, NYApril 19, 2016
-Parking is free
-Co-workers great
-Silos
-No work/family balance- you would get written up if you call in if your child is sick.
Upper Management unfamiliar with systems and procedures.
Everyone from Director to Team lead would audit you on a daily basis. The experience felt like being broken down to nothing to be built back up.
Pros
Free parking
Comfortable work environment
College Intern, Credit & Collections Department (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 4, 2016
Management allows for flexible hours to balance college obligations with work obligations. Superiors are constantly helping and teaching. Community in the workplace is tight-knit and friendly.
Productive and fun working place with ping pong table in the lunch room.
M&B Processor I (Current Employee) –  Syracuse NyJanuary 14, 2016
Typical day is reviewing inventory, enrolling, dis-enrolling and making changes to account. Working with thousands of families insurance policies. Enrolling families on Urgent Service situations.
Pros
Cafe on site, Vendors and activites each week in the atrium. Company is very involded in charity events
Cons
As a Temp employee, there is not much room for advancment or to be hired on as an Employee
Successful company that continues to grow and prepare itself for the future.
Large Group Underwriter II (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 17, 2012
Active work environment that presents new challenges day after day.

Work with a lot of good people, but there are also a lot of people that are very difficult to work with.

Lack of communication from management within the department.

Poor leadership from other departments.

Hardest part: High volume of work centered around employer groups renewing January 1st.

Most enjoyable part: Being able to significantly contribute.
Pros
flexible hours. good cafeteria food.
Cons
requires a lot of overtime during fall and winter seasons.
Internal Politics Rule, Customers are LAST priority
Membership & Billing Representative (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 4, 2012
It's simple, either you fit the cookie-cutter mold and play the game or you are conspired against, you're put on Membership & Billings "DNA" list (Do Not Assist), and ultimately the customer/client pays the (high) price. If you have a sense of ethics, dislike corporate corruption, and like to be treated with respect, DO NOT GO TO EXCELLUS. Don't cheat yourself, you deserve better!
Pros
good cafeteria food, great expensive art in the lobby!
Cons
management prefers golf over fostering growth of their staff.
From Intern to Employee - The journey
Student Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 24, 2012
I started out as an intern in August 2007 and I can truly say that working at Excellus has been nothing short of a blessing! I had the opportunity to see many facets of the buisness and health care field throughout my five year tenure as a high school and college intern. The company is committed to developing me as a professional and supporting me as I obtain my undergraduate degree. Excellus has raised me both personally and professionally, which I am greatly for. I recently made a transistion from intern to part time employee. My current job could not fit me better!
Say No To Excellus - They Have No Regard For Employee Health
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Rochester NYJanuary 4, 2013
After 5 years of dedicated and flawless service my position was "back filled", because I was removed from work due to a medical condition. Excellus knew that I was planning to return to work, I contacted them in attempt to establish a return to work plan. The same day HR responded, they also informed me that my position was "back filled", even though my doctor authorized my return to work on the same day. This goes to show that they expect employees to be loyal and dedicated and after 5 years of serivce they showed no regard for my health and well being.

In protest of their unfair treatment and lack of regard for my health... Say NO to Excellus!!!
Cons
see review
Environment is not what they say it is....
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 5, 2012
Executive Managment is great, but they have no idea how poorly their management/supervisor staff are treating the employees that face customers every day. I had a Director track me down to 'see what I was doing' when I was at the copier.....if a Manager/Supervisor doesn't like you, they will find a reason to 'get rid of you' All they care about is the business they could care less about you as a person.
Good benefits, poor everything else
mid-level (Former Employee) –  Court St, Rochester, NYOctober 10, 2013
Benefits are great, except vision (no coverage except small amount towards eye exam). However, this is to be expected because they are paying themselves for health benefits. Retirement, 401k.

Departments do not work well together. Attitude of "it's not my job" very common. Difficult to get things done.

Lots of politics, talking behind backs.

New ideas, suggestions not welcome, despite talk that they are.

There is little to no room for advancement, unless you play the politics game.

They always want you to do "more with less."

Very outdated technology.

Long hours expected.

Salaries are not great, but as a not-for profit company, this is not unusual.

Most management either incompetent or plays favorites.
benefits
Cons
management, parking not paid, salary, politics
Great Company
Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse NYAugust 11, 2015
Excellus is a great company, but does not have much room to grow. My department which is the Managed Medicaid Outreach Department will be eliminate by December of 2015.
Pros
The staff are amazing
Cons
No room to grow
Terrible management
IT (Former Employee) –  New YorkJune 7, 2013
Negative environment
Political mgmt
Decisions based on politics
Do not reward hard workers or innovators
Lots of back stabbers at head quarters
Ethics and morals are non existent
Wasteful
Soul killing
If you are a good person stay away
If you are a top performer stay away
The worst place I have ever worked by far
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Lousy environment
They work in silos
Rating and Renewal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 4, 2014
Excellus has lots of good people in it, but they work in silos, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing which leads to a lot of inefficiencies, errors and ultimately, bloated administrative costs.
Pros
Lots of growth opportunities
Cons
poor work-life balance, a decade behind in technology
Great company and great people
MEDAMERICA LTC POLICY ADMINISTRATION SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 3, 2015
MedAmerica really cares about their employees. They are always trying to find fun and interesting ways to increase morale and camaraderie , which in turn helps increase productivity.
Great people who care
Manager IT (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 9, 2014
People care for each other and help each other but the lack of strategy and vision at the leadership and middle management level leaves teams floundering.
Pros
Great people, comfortable offices with onsite cafeteria, gyms in most locations
Cons
Lack of clear vision, strategy at leadership level
Employees not valued in certain departments...good benefits package but pay rate smaller too
hard worker (Current Employee) –  downtown RochesterMay 8, 2013
. The department I work in has little regard for employee safety and works the employees like rented mules! If you are friends in and outside of work with the managers and supervisors, you are in " the club". If not, you are just there until they decide to get rid of you! Unfair and poor disciplinary procedures are followed, with the friends and favorites never being looked at, while all others written up and called on the carpet for every petty thing they can think of! Hardest workers are not compensated fairly,while the suck-ups routinely boast about their great raises...very frustrating, obviously! Please realize I am reviewing only my Department, and other areas of the company I'm sure are better to work in... at least I would hope so! So you can give it a shot, but just watch your back!
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Low rate of pay, unfair managers, ridiculously low raises
Review
Electronic Print Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 3, 2012
I work in a highly productive place with a great crew that loves to have fun while getting the work done quickly and accurately .
Pros
cheap healthcare and dental care . paid breaks, sometimes free lunch .
Cons
long hours, small raises .
great
Underwriting Intern (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NYNovember 4, 2013
Wonderful opportunity to grow. they help you transition from being a student to a business professional. It was a wonderful learning experience and also great to network with professionals from such a wonderful company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8