Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Employee Reviews

Out of touch with the economy, undervalues employees
Analyst/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 20, 2017
Excellus underpays by 20-25% and has a 1970s mgt style. They treat employees like commodities and that is why people leave. Those who stay undervalue themselves and mgt. likes it that way. Until or unless they remove the deadweight from sr. mgt. (eg: VPs with literally 6 ppl working for them!) as well as retire the dinosaurs they have running divisions that desperately need fresh leadership, they will continue to stagnate.

They are losing members in a market where ppl are REQUIRED to buy health insurance. Bad mgt. and poor employee relations are much of the reason.

Still, Excellus has the best health insurance in the area. The mgt. deadweight and waste however keeps costs up, so keeping premiums higher than other companies', thus costing them members. Three words: Business Process Reengineering. Desperately needed. Start by dumping half your VPs.

The CIO has taken to bringing in cheap IT contractors from India (Cognizant) because the ordinary way to get new IT blood is hamstrung from above. Booth is the main culprit overseeing this stagnation and waste. The B of D needs to tell him to stop treating this as a retirement job and get serious... or get out.
Pros
Overtime usu not needed except in IT
Cons
See review
Very Enjoyable work environment with ping pong tables!
Metric and Reporting Intern (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 25, 2017
I had a very enjoyable time as an intern at Excellus this past summer. I felt as though I was doing work as an intern that was not only beneficial to my work experience but I believe was beneficial to my coworkers. It was not a stressful environment and I had pleasant coworkers. I would definitely recommend this company and hope I may have an opportunity to go back and work there myself. Oh yeah, there were ping pong tables!
Pros
Hours, environement, coworkers
Cons
N/a
Excellus lived by the motto "we can do it AND have fun!"
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 28, 2017
Excellus BC BS is an amazing place to work. The leadership team provides an example of caring for one another that is felt throughout the company. There are many opportunities for folks that have a desire to learn and pursue excellence.
Pros
Updated facilities and free parking.
If you don't have family that works there, you have no chance in advancing...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 10, 2017
The management here is awful! You are bulllied into making sure Every Call is perfected to their metrics/standards. Even if you have it down perfectly, you are belittled because they have nothing better to do! I worked for this company for many years, and have had 5 different supervisors in the first 2 years! Was "let go" for no valid reason. I was actually a perfectionist and now have major anxiety and panic attacks because of their lack of knowledge about humanity.
Pros
You make good money and nearly free healthcare
Cons
Anxiety, stress, depression. Everyone there has a family member that works there and if you don't, you're not going to be a good match (unfortunately)
Don't bother
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 25, 2017
this company is 100 percent behind the times. no empowerment, NO movement or education/help to advance. management are mostly under experienced and undereducated inside promotions which propagates everything that is wrong with this company. pay is horrible, horrible, horrible. Company hides behind what are often ill thought out, heartless, illogical 'Standards of Procedure.' Painful to work here
Pros
free parking
Cons
everything else
Work
Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYJuly 10, 2017
The people that work here are great but there isn't much room for advancement starting in customer service. Being in customer service it is obvious that you are in the worst section of the office.
Peacefull employment
Great (Current Employee) –  DeWitt, NYJune 20, 2017
I enjoy coming into work grabbing my breakfast in the company's café and heading up to my desk where I can work comfortably. I enjoy the many perks such as Taco Tuesdays and other fun things. We are a huge extended family.
no vision, poor leadership, ETL jobs are moved to Congizant indian employees
Manager of Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 20, 2017
The company has no vision, poor management, most ETL testing jobs are already moved to Indian company - Congizant so you will face too much politics with congizant consultants as they do not share technical knowledge with Excellus employees. I do not see any growth opportunity inside the company. They do not value their own employees
Cons
too much politics to face with Congizant indians employee
Good Company Values
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 30, 2017
Overall a good place to work. You must be a self starter as the on boarding and training is very limited.
It is a fun place to work and they do have good company values. Very involved in the community.
Excellus has improved
Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 31, 2016
I have worked at the company for 20+ yrs. I read all the past comments on this site and many are from past employees. some of their comments were valid and some not. Currently 2016/2017 the company has improved in culture and management. I have seen many years at the company and have seen very positive shift in the culture and breaking down of silos. More team work and praise on projects. I work in the front line staff and can say this I have seen a lot of good changes happening in the past two years. Not every area is perfect but each dept and division is different. I would recommend giving the company a try. Has good benefits and time off.
Pros
time off, cafe, culture is changing
Cons
long hours for open enrollment

Want to know more about Excellus BlueCross BlueShield?

Ask a question
Poductive and family/ fun oriented work enviroment
Customer Care Advocate - Medical Claims (Former Employee) –  Utica, NY 13501October 15, 2016
Great company to work for, treats employees like family and will go above and beyond to help any employee to succeed. Benefits were great, also showed a lot of appreciation for their employess
Pros
Cafeteria was very clean
Cons
N/a
Great Place To Work!
External Auditor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 1, 2016
I have been employed with Excellus BCBS for just about 5 years and couldn't be happier. It is my hope to stay with Excellus for my entire career. I have grown into 2 different positions since starting with the company- which proves how much they invest in employee development. The company truly cares about it's employees and has been certified in 2016 as a Great Place to Work.
Great environment
Customer Care Advocate (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 18, 2016
Love my supervisor and people I work with however the management expects too much from employees for the benefits and pay received.
Free Food for performance not $$.
Customer Care Advocate (Former Employee) –  DeWitt, NYApril 19, 2016
-Parking is free
-Co-workers great
-Silos
-No work/family balance- you would get written up if you call in if your child is sick.
Upper Management unfamiliar with systems and procedures.
Everyone from Director to Team lead would audit you on a daily basis. The experience felt like being broken down to nothing to be built back up.
Pros
Free parking
Comfortable work environment
College Intern, Credit & Collections Department (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 4, 2016
Management allows for flexible hours to balance college obligations with work obligations. Superiors are constantly helping and teaching. Community in the workplace is tight-knit and friendly.
Productive and fun working place with ping pong table in the lunch room.
M&B Processor I (Current Employee) –  Syracuse NyJanuary 14, 2016
Typical day is reviewing inventory, enrolling, dis-enrolling and making changes to account. Working with thousands of families insurance policies. Enrolling families on Urgent Service situations.
Pros
Cafe on site, Vendors and activites each week in the atrium. Company is very involded in charity events
Cons
As a Temp employee, there is not much room for advancment or to be hired on as an Employee
Great Company
Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse NYAugust 11, 2015
Excellus is a great company, but does not have much room to grow. My department which is the Managed Medicaid Outreach Department will be eliminate by December of 2015.
Pros
The staff are amazing
Cons
No room to grow
Great company and great people
MEDAMERICA LTC POLICY ADMINISTRATION SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 3, 2015
MedAmerica really cares about their employees. They are always trying to find fun and interesting ways to increase morale and camaraderie , which in turn helps increase productivity.
They work in silos
Rating and Renewal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 4, 2014
Excellus has lots of good people in it, but they work in silos, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing which leads to a lot of inefficiencies, errors and ultimately, bloated administrative costs.
Pros
Lots of growth opportunities
Cons
poor work-life balance, a decade behind in technology
Great people who care
Manager IT (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 9, 2014
People care for each other and help each other but the lack of strategy and vision at the leadership and middle management level leaves teams floundering.
Pros
Great people, comfortable offices with onsite cafeteria, gyms in most locations
Cons
Lack of clear vision, strategy at leadership level