Excellus BlueCross BlueShield

Excellus BlueCross BlueShield United States Employee Reviews

Great people who care
Manager IT (Current Employee), Rochester, NYAugust 9, 2014
Pros: great people, comfortable offices with onsite cafeteria, gyms in most locations
Cons: lack of clear vision, strategy at leadership level
People care for each other and help each other but the lack of strategy and vision at the leadership and middle management level leaves teams floundering.
Right out the navy
Clinical Coding Analyst (Current Employee), Utica, NYFebruary 27, 2014
and Into Bluecross Land.....it was a shock at first...but I eventually got the hang of it to be promoted from a temp to a full time employee.
great
Underwriting Intern (Former Employee), New Hartford, NYNovember 4, 2013
Wonderful opportunity to grow. they help you transition from being a student to a business professional. It was a wonderful learning experience and also great to network with professionals from such a wonderful company.
Good benefits, poor everything else
mid-level (Former Employee), Court St, Rochester, NYOctober 10, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: management, parking not paid, salary, politics
Benefits are great, except vision (no coverage except small amount towards eye exam). However, this is to be expected because they are paying themselves for health benefits. Retirement, 401k.

Departments do not work well together. Attitude of "it's not my job" very common. Difficult to get things done.

Lots of politics, talking behind backs.

New ideas, suggestions not welcome, despite talk that they are.

There is little to no room for advancement, unless you play the politics game.

They always want you to do "more with less."

Very outdated technology.

Long hours expected.

Salaries are not great, but as a not-for profit company, this is not unusual.

Most management either incompetent or plays favorites.
Terrible management
IT (Former Employee), New YorkJune 7, 2013
Pros: salary and benefits
Cons: lousy environment
Negative environment
Political mgmt
Decisions based on politics
Do not reward hard workers or innovators
Lots of back stabbers at head quarters
Ethics and morals are non existent
Wasteful
Soul killing
If you are a good person stay away
If you are a top performer stay away
The worst place I have ever worked by far
Employees not valued in certain departments...good benefits package but pay rate smaller too
hard worker (Current Employee), downtown RochesterMay 8, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: low rate of pay, unfair managers, ridiculously low raises
. The department I work in has little regard for employee safety and works the employees like rented mules! If you are friends in and outside of work with the managers and supervisors, you are in " the club". If not, you are just there until they decide to get rid of you! Unfair and poor disciplinary procedures are followed, with the friends and favorites never being looked at, while all others written up and called on the carpet for every petty thing they can think of! Hardest workers are not compensated fairly,while the suck-ups routinely boast about their great raises...very frustrating, obviously! Please realize I am reviewing only my Department, and other areas of the company I'm sure are better to work in... at least I would hope so! So you can give it a shot, but just watch your back!
Say No To Excellus - They Have No Regard For Employee Health
Accountant (Former Employee), Rochester NYJanuary 4, 2013
Cons: see review
After 5 years of dedicated and flawless service my position was "back filled", because I was removed from work due to a medical condition. Excellus knew that I was planning to return to work, I contacted them in attempt to establish a return to work plan. The same day HR responded, they also informed me that my position was "back filled", even though my doctor authorized my return to work on the same day. This goes to show that they expect employees to be loyal and dedicated and after 5 years of serivce they showed no regard for my health and well being.

In protest of their unfair treatment and lack of regard for my health... Say NO to Excellus!!!
From Intern to Employee - The journey
Student Programs Coordinator (Current Employee), Rochester, NYDecember 24, 2012
I started out as an intern in August 2007 and I can truly say that working at Excellus has been nothing short of a blessing! I had the opportunity to see many facets of the buisness and health care field throughout my five year tenure as a high school and college intern. The company is committed to developing me as a professional and supporting me as I obtain my undergraduate degree. Excellus has raised me both personally and professionally, which I am greatly for. I recently made a transistion from intern to part time employee. My current job could not fit me better!
Little Growth Potential, Excellus Doesn't Value their Employees
Corporate Audit - Internal Sarbanes Oxley Auditor (Former Employee), Rochester, NYNovember 16, 2012
Cons: excellus doesn't value their employees, lots of pressure, expected to perform management tasks even though i wasn't a manager
If you're looking to grow within your career, Excellus isn't the place to do it.

Management is poor; they shift a lot of management tasks onto staff.

I was removed from work as a result of medical reasons and in the process of recovering they "Back Filled" my position. They were provided notice that I would be returning in the near future and that I wanted to establish a return to work plan (addressing some concerns before I returned). HR acknowledged my questions and when they finally provided a reply, they informed me that my position was "Back Filled". A health insurance company should value their employees and their health, Excellus fails to offer this.

Within my department there was a large amount of employee turnover as a result of the poor management. HR has failed to fix the problems within the department,even though staff members clearly communicated concerns of management, my employers neglect exposed me to a toxic work environment.
Environment is not what they say it is....
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYOctober 5, 2012
Executive Managment is great, but they have no idea how poorly their management/supervisor staff are treating the employees that face customers every day. I had a Director track me down to 'see what I was doing' when I was at the copier.....if a Manager/Supervisor doesn't like you, they will find a reason to 'get rid of you' All they care about is the business they could care less about you as a person.
Internal Politics Rule, Customers are LAST priority
Membership & Billing Representative (Current Employee), Rochester, NYAugust 4, 2012
Pros: good cafeteria food, great expensive art in the lobby!
Cons: management prefers golf over fostering growth of their staff.
It's simple, either you fit the cookie-cutter mold and play the game or you are conspired against, you're put on Membership & Billings "DNA" list (Do Not Assist), and ultimately the customer/client pays the (high) price. If you have a sense of ethics, dislike corporate corruption, and like to be treated with respect, DO NOT GO TO EXCELLUS. Don't cheat yourself, you deserve better!
Review
Electronic Print Specialist (Current Employee), Rochester, NYAugust 3, 2012
Pros: cheap healthcare and dental care . paid breaks, sometimes free lunch .
Cons: long hours, small raises .
I work in a highly productive place with a great crew that loves to have fun while getting the work done quickly and accurately .
Successful company that continues to grow and prepare itself for the future.
Large Group Underwriter II (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYJune 17, 2012
Pros: flexible hours. good cafeteria food.
Cons: requires a lot of overtime during fall and winter seasons.
Active work environment that presents new challenges day after day.

Work with a lot of good people, but there are also a lot of people that are very difficult to work with.

Lack of communication from management within the department.

Poor leadership from other departments.

Hardest part: High volume of work centered around employer groups renewing January 1st.

Most enjoyable part: Being able to significantly contribute.
Good Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMarch 7, 2012
Pros: family atmosphere - good management
Cons: downtown parking
This company has good benefits and a family atmosphere. Great management and opportunities for advancement.