Excelsior College Employee Reviews

Ever Upward
Senior Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 3, 2017
From our mission statement: Excelsior College provides educational opportunity to adult learners with an emphasis on those historically underrepresented in higher education.
It is easy to get behind the mission of this institution. The mission is fulfilled by some of the hardest working individuals I have ever had the pleasure of working beside and knowing. We make efforts to assist our students in reaching their goals, the attainment of an Associate, Baccalaureate, or Masters degree.
Unique higher education experience at the time.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 24, 2017
When I went to work for Excelsior College on-line higher education was still new and having worked previously in a traditional university, it was a new experience. This was a new way for adults to continue their education while balancing their lives. I was able to institute a new process that helped our military in their educational pursuits and gave me knowledge and confidence that I brought to subsequent positions.
Pros
Higher education that fits your life
Cons
Not for profit salaries
Online instructing
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 11, 2017
Great courses for students.
Course rubrics require some tweeking yet, from an instructor standpoint.
Great ideas, good courses. Great opportunity. More in-depth reviews would be beneficial.
Pros
Online
Cons
Online
Adjunct Professor of Mathematics & Natural Science (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 10, 2017
The best online school I have ever worked for - and I have worked at many schools! They pay well and respect your work and experience. A great non-profit online college.
Excelsior College
Online Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 29, 2017
This was a great school I used to work for. I only taught one course for them for a couple years and I moved on to other schools that gave me more courses. It was a great place to work in the early days of my teaching experience.
Pros
Nice supervisor.
Cons
No diversity in courses--just always assigned one.
Great Place
Adjunct Clinical Examiner (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 27, 2017
Some of the questions do not pertain to my title because I work weekends and an adjunct clinical examiner. This is not a benefited position. As a place of education, I can say that my experience as a student was excellent.
It was a pleasure
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 12, 2017
It was a pleasure working with students from all over the country, The hardest part was when students would get angry over the phone, the best part was when I was able to get them calmed down and help with what they needed
Pros
Awesome benefits and hours
Cons
The drive to madison
Good Company
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 26, 2017
Good Company with a lot of great people that work there. The college makes student service their top priority. Many people have worked there for several years.
Not the best place to work
Unhappy employee (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 8, 2017
Was a great place to work, but there is no job security now. After the layoffs, including those who worked there 20+ years were let go, you know you are replaceable. HR doesn't do their job either, complaints of harassment are ignored and those that don't do their job get promoted.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Everything else
Very nice place to work
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 3, 2017
- Great training
- A very friendly environment
- Understanding management
- Busy workdays
- I've leaned alot of about high education and the military students
Pros
A great environment
Cons
Exciting to be part of new determined nursing students
Clinical Nurse Examiner (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 2, 2016
Experience the excitement of each student arriving for examination is refreshing. Maintaining the integrity of the exam is important to me and my work ethics.
Ok place to work
Course Registration and Records (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 27, 2016
I worked in the course registration department for over a year but left a few months ago. The value and purpose of the college is to help students succeed but the people in that department did not work together at all. They were extremely immature and very catty, it's as if they forgot what the value and purpose of the college is. Excelsior as a whole is a great place to work but that department needs serious team building. The supervisor was affable but the team leader and some of my colleagues were not. The daily tasks are repetitive and if you aren't a person who likes to do the same work everyday, this place is not for you.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, time off before holidays
Cons
Stuck on a computer all day, department needs help, no interaction with students
It was a great place to work, and then the bottom fell out
Technical Support Services Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 29, 2016
I loved my time at Excelsior College. I loved the people. I loved our mission and I loved what I did and was able to have the opportunity to learn. Unfortunately however, complete mismanagement of our finances, irresponsible overreach beyond our core disciplines and managerial negligence led to a massive layoff of which my department was eradicated. I'll never regret what I learned there and the great people that I worked with. It was an amazing and rewarding experience.
Pros
Great teamwork atmosphere, convenient, good benefits
Cons
Irresponsible management.
Good Place to work
Assistant Director of Military Academic Programs (Current Employee) –  Abany NYSeptember 29, 2016
Excelsior College offers adults students the opportunity to complete a degree while recognizing prior learning. This is a fun and rewarding place to work.
Good Place to Work
Course Registration Associate (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 26, 2016
Nice people, good pay , good benefits . I enjoy working here and enjoy my co workers. Get to help student succeed for the future which is the best part of the whole experience.
The US Marines
University Student (Former Employee) –  Albany NyNovember 30, 2015
Military Occupation in time of war. This job is hard, you are away from home a lot. At the end of the day, you can not be sure if you are making the world a better, or worse place.
Pros
pay and benifits
Cons
Work, Work, and More Work!
Leading institution in online higher education with focus on underserved student populations and adults.
HIgher Education Professional (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 14, 2015
Excelsior College is a great place to work. Their academic advisors and faculty are superb. Most organized and enjoyable Commencement ceremony you'll ever witness.
Awesome employer that cares about employees
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 4, 2015
Excelsior has great pay for the industry, great benefits (awesome 401a) and health insurance, and really cares about employees. The campus is a family like community.
A unique educational institution
Vice President Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 30, 2015
A fine organization with a commendable mission, Excelsior provides educational opportunities for an under served population. Through its model of online distance education Excelsior provides people around to world to earn a degree.
Instruction, Education
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXSeptember 15, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed every part of this employment. This was my ah-ha moment. I realized that I loved every part of education, which is why I apply to such positions. The most rewarding came when potential learners realized they were near to degree requirements.
Pros
Advancement, Management