Excelsior College Employee Reviews

It was a pleasure
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 12, 2017
It was a pleasure working with students from all over the country, The hardest part was when students would get angry over the phone, the best part was when I was able to get them calmed down and help with what they needed
Pros
Awesome benefits and hours
Cons
The drive to madison
Good Company
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 26, 2017
Good Company with a lot of great people that work there. The college makes student service their top priority. Many people have worked there for several years.
Not the best place to work
Unhappy employee (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 8, 2017
Was a great place to work, but there is no job security now. After the layoffs, including those who worked there 20+ years were let go, you know you are replaceable. HR doesn't do their job either, complaints of harassment are ignored and those that don't do their job get promoted.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Everything else
Very nice place to work
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 3, 2017
- Great training
- A very friendly environment
- Understanding management
- Busy workdays
- I've leaned alot of about high education and the military students
Pros
A great environment
Cons
Exciting to be part of new determined nursing students
Clinical Nurse Examiner (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 2, 2016
Experience the excitement of each student arriving for examination is refreshing. Maintaining the integrity of the exam is important to me and my work ethics.
Ok place to work
Course Registration and Records (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 27, 2016
I worked in the course registration department for over a year but left a few months ago. The value and purpose of the college is to help students succeed but the people in that department did not work together at all. They were extremely immature and very catty, it's as if they forgot what the value and purpose of the college is. Excelsior as a whole is a great place to work but that department needs serious team building. The supervisor was affable but the team leader and some of my colleagues were not. The daily tasks are repetitive and if you aren't a person who likes to do the same work everyday, this place is not for you.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, time off before holidays
Cons
Stuck on a computer all day, department needs help, no interaction with students
It was a great place to work, and then the bottom fell out
Technical Support Services Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 29, 2016
I loved my time at Excelsior College. I loved the people. I loved our mission and I loved what I did and was able to have the opportunity to learn. Unfortunately however, complete mismanagement of our finances, irresponsible overreach beyond our core disciplines and managerial negligence led to a massive layoff of which my department was eradicated. I'll never regret what I learned there and the great people that I worked with. It was an amazing and rewarding experience.
Pros
Great teamwork atmosphere, convenient, good benefits
Cons
Irresponsible management.
Good Place to work
Assistant Director of Military Academic Programs (Current Employee) –  Abany NYSeptember 29, 2016
Excelsior College offers adults students the opportunity to complete a degree while recognizing prior learning. This is a fun and rewarding place to work.
Good Place to Work
Course Registration Associate (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 26, 2016
Nice people, good pay , good benefits . I enjoy working here and enjoy my co workers. Get to help student succeed for the future which is the best part of the whole experience.
The US Marines
University Student (Former Employee) –  Albany NyNovember 30, 2015
Military Occupation in time of war. This job is hard, you are away from home a lot. At the end of the day, you can not be sure if you are making the world a better, or worse place.
Pros
pay and benifits
Cons
Work, Work, and More Work!
Leading institution in online higher education with focus on underserved student populations and adults.
HIgher Education Professional (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 14, 2015
Excelsior College is a great place to work. Their academic advisors and faculty are superb. Most organized and enjoyable Commencement ceremony you'll ever witness.
Awesome employer that cares about employees
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 4, 2015
Excelsior has great pay for the industry, great benefits (awesome 401a) and health insurance, and really cares about employees. The campus is a family like community.
A unique educational institution
Vice President Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 30, 2015
A fine organization with a commendable mission, Excelsior provides educational opportunities for an under served population. Through its model of online distance education Excelsior provides people around to world to earn a degree.
Instruction, Education
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXSeptember 15, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed every part of this employment. This was my ah-ha moment. I realized that I loved every part of education, which is why I apply to such positions. The most rewarding came when potential learners realized they were near to degree requirements.
Pros
Advancement, Management
hard work and fun
RN licenses (inactive) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2014
I enjoy helping children of all ages. I did hearing and Vision screenings for all grades, along with B.P screening for 5th grade. I learned that each state has different qualification for vaccines administration. My co workers were very helpful and willing to guide me in the correct direction if I was unsure of what to do.
Pros
working with children
Cons
not feeling appreciated
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 17, 2014
A typical day at work involves sorting/opening mail, checking transcripts for authenticity, prep, scan and index them.

I've learned how to solve complex problems. I assist management and my co-workers with solving problems. The hardest part of my job is when my work is completed before my shift ends.

The most enjoyable part of my job is to complete my tasks not only before the given deadline but well ahead of schedule.
Pros
Flexibilty
Benefits
Easy to Jump in
Adjunct English Instructor (Current Employee) –  OnlineJune 25, 2014
The prewritten syllabi make it easy for a prof to jump in and just teach. There is the occasional dead link or weird link, but students are pretty understanding and profs have the ability to adjust the course as needed (within reason).
Innovative and fast-changing workplace
Senior Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 18, 2014
The college caters to adult learners via predominantly online instruction and exams and gives credit for experiential learning. It is a very nurturing environment and encourages professional development. It is a fast changing place and as an employee you will be required to adapt and adopt the rapid pace. Being consistent and changing rapidly is the hardest part of my job.The most enjoyable part of my job is that my work makes a difference to how the business performs and directly affects its customers- various business units of the college and the students.
AlternativeNursing Education
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 27, 2014
Excellent facility for the non-traditional nursing student
Excellent Institution for higher learning
Graduate Student - Sabbatical (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 20, 2013
Excelsior college provides online degrees which are beneficial to providing flexibility. You can study at your own time and at your own pace to achieve your educational goals.
Pros
Online degree programs
Cons
Online degree programs are more challenging than traditional degrees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Excelsior College. Our community is ready to answer.