Excelsior Springs Job Corps Center Employee Reviews

school
Medical Student/Employee (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOOctober 8, 2017
I didn't work here. It is like a schooling place to help further your education. I started in Feb of 2016 and finished Feb of 2017 and left with 5 certifications.
Typical Workplace
Medical Student/Employee (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOSeptember 11, 2017
As long as you keep your head on straight and do your work you'll get through your trade without a problem and find a good job. Depending the trade it only takes a couple months.
barely get any help
Cement Mason Student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOAugust 1, 2017
I mean it would be a good place if you got the help you needed but you barely get any help. this program is basically just do it on your own without no prior knowledge or don't do it at all and get kicked out.
Should be closed-insane place to work
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJuly 11, 2017
Girls are sexually assaulted and they brush it under the rug. I tried to help and hands were tied. Racist towards white employees. Back stabbing environment. No advancement opportunity. No police allowed on campus as they want no negative publicity.
Students are treated like inmates. All about Federal funding! Not a team environment. The management over dorms are a buddy system from St.Louis they cover each others back.

Unreal environment.
Pros
the students
Cons
too many to list
Worst place to work as a true employee.
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJune 22, 2017
Reform school. Most of the comments here are from students who attend the school. The kids think they are employee's. Program for inner city kids....
Pros
Great for older employees who can't function in a fast pace environment, The school is similar to what you might have seen in the public schools in the 1960's.
Cons
Buildings are in disrepair, you will be exposed to asbestos, cafeteria food is terrible, no extra curricular activities for students-unless you like Wal-Mart, no money invested into the program by the owner, etc
Opportunity for career advancement is great. It's otherwise lacking.
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJune 22, 2017
wake up at 6am, dress, go to breakfast, clean dorm room, attend role call at 7:30am be at work by 8:00am practice running beads until break at 9:35am, return by 9:45am continue running beads. Clean up at 11:45am, go to lunch at 12:15pm return by 1:00pm run beads until 1:45pm break, return by 1:55pm run beads until 3:00pm then clean up leave at 3:30pm. role call at 3:40pm go to dinner at 4:45pm, role call at 6:00pm then 9:20pm be in bed by 10:30pm rinse, and repeat.

I have learned how to be more tolerant of difficult work conditions and how to act in the work place.

Management for the most part does genuinely care about the well being of the student employees. Communication seems to be their biggest flaw. Their approach to handling the students is sloppy and/or ham fisted at best.

Many of the student/employees at center are emotionally directed and don't appreciate the opportunity that is being given to them. They tend to be loud and disrespectful to the staff and to each other.

The hardest part is definitely having to work with my fellow student employees. Getting up ever morning and going to work early just to have others upset the instructors and causing the whole group to suffer the consequences. Then ending the day just to go dorm and deal with them there too; doing to same thing with the same outcome, day in and day out.

Being able to have the peace of mind that every morning I wake up that I will improve myself a little bit every day.
Pros
Free food, room and board with the opportunity to learn a trade or two.
Cons
Because of the age range many of the coworkers can be immature.
Pretty cool
Medical Student/Employee (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMay 31, 2017
If you live on dorm it could be pretty stressful. This place is full of opportunity and everything's free! Good food, nice beds. A lot of rules but easy to follow.
Pros
free lunch, free place to live, free clothes, free education.
Cons
Students can be stressful if you live on dorm
i would recommend this program
Medical Student/Employee (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMay 17, 2017
i would recommend this company only because it helps us to become better people and helps us with leadership skills and job skills. it may be a little strict but in the long run it helps u out a lot.
Student
CMA Student (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMay 15, 2017
Its a really good program for students who want to change their lives around and better themselves and its all for free which is great for people who don't want to spend money for college
Great program!
Carpenter/maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMay 10, 2017
Excelsior Springs Job Core Center is one of the most helpful Vocational trade schools I have ever attended. It is great for finding a job and getting your education.
Pros
100% free and you get paid to come!!!
Cons
You have to live on center sometimes and that can be a problem
Educational
Nursing Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOApril 28, 2017
I enjoyed the staff and students and would recommend it for anyone. Free education and trade and very helpful people. It has been a great learning experience.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
N/a
Excelsior Springs Job Corps is a great place.
Carpentry Student (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOApril 18, 2017
The Excelsior Springs Job Corps is a great program to learn an start a career. We learn many different things about the trade that you choose. I've chose carpentry an I've learned a lot an got many certifications that would be essential to a job site.
Job Corp is a lot of fun after trade hours but not during trade hours.
Culinary Student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMarch 10, 2017
I would not recommend job corp to anyone they lie to you and they are not as reliable to you as you think they are. Working at this company is not bad at all it is not hard to work here at all you really just have to concentrate on your trade and nothing else.
High School in disguise as a trade school
Student (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMarch 8, 2017
A typical day is you wake up at 6 am, go to breakfast or wellness then the other if you need to, go back to dorm to clean, then head out to "learn" how to work while this center and its majority of crooked staff working for a corrupt government tries everything they can to keep you here just so they can use you as a number to get more money.
Pros
Free food and a place to stay
Cons
short breaks, no help from staff, drama, the feeling of discrimination
all ok
Welding Student/Center Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOFebruary 24, 2017
All was good while I was there. I received my welding certification and met a lot of different people. I learned a lot about my trade which I had no experience when I first arrived here.
Pros
Training
the education is good
Welding Student/Center Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOFebruary 7, 2017
the education is good but the staff need to be much more respectful to the students they treat us all like kids I mean there is some that disserve it but the most of us are grown
Pros
the food is great
Cons
the breaks are ok
academic and vocational staff shared a common bond education young men and women.
Career and Personal Counselor (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJanuary 19, 2017
very rewarding watching young men and women accomplish their goals. The center director work closely with the counseling team.
Pros
doing something for the common good.
Cons
too much emphasis on documentation, too little time for counseling high risk students.
Toxic work environment, with little to no room for advancement.
Worker (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJanuary 3, 2017
Chaotic and unorganized. Many changes being initiated, but with no input from staff. Staff are not respected by management, nor are they asked for input.
Pros
Helping the kids to be more successfull in the future
Cons
Office politics, toxic environment, lack of respect for employees from management, etc.
Poor management, poorly run, stone-age culture
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MODecember 20, 2016
Management is poor, leadership nonexistent, demeaning talk toward employees. Mina the, the company that runs the job corps facility is run by people in their 80s who haven't held real jobs since the 60s and they still treat the job environment like a 60s run company. Very unprogressive points of view, discriminatory against LGBT, scattered policies. Knee-jerk reaction to events on center, focus changes daily, no one seems to know what they're doing. Expectation and sometimes working seven days a week even though students not on center. Odd hours which in no way benefit the employees for the students. A company that doesn't treat it's employees like it cares about them or their lives.
Pros
Kids are awesome
Cons
Odd hours, weekends, management bullies (CP), lack of focus, no promotion opportunities.
Good housing; unnecessary activities.
Student Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MONovember 11, 2016
I'm currently a student here and I'm expected to exit on December 2. However, I cannot tolerate the lack of communication, the laziness of other students, and inappropriate actions.
Pros
Free meals, housing, and Rec. trips
Cons
Lack of communication