Excelsior Springs Job Corps Center Employee Reviews

academic and vocational staff shared a common bond education young men and women.
Career and Personal Counselor (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJanuary 19, 2017
very rewarding watching young men and women accomplish their goals. The center director work closely with the counseling team.
Pros
doing something for the common good.
Cons
too much emphasis on documentation, too little time for counseling high risk students.
Toxic work environment, with little to no room for advancement.
Worker (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJanuary 3, 2017
Chaotic and unorganized. Many changes being initiated, but with no input from staff. Staff are not respected by management, nor are they asked for input.
Pros
Helping the kids to be more successfull in the future
Cons
Office politics, toxic environment, lack of respect for employees from management, etc.
Poor management, poorly run, stone-age culture
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MODecember 20, 2016
Management is poor, leadership nonexistent, demeaning talk toward employees. Mina the, the company that runs the job corps facility is run by people in their 80s who haven't held real jobs since the 60s and they still treat the job environment like a 60s run company. Very unprogressive points of view, discriminatory against LGBT, scattered policies. Knee-jerk reaction to events on center, focus changes daily, no one seems to know what they're doing. Expectation and sometimes working seven days a week even though students not on center. Odd hours which in no way benefit the employees for the students. A company that doesn't treat it's employees like it cares about them or their lives.
Pros
Kids are awesome
Cons
Odd hours, weekends, management bullies (CP), lack of focus, no promotion opportunities.
Good housing; unnecessary activities.
Student Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MONovember 11, 2016
I'm currently a student here and I'm expected to exit on December 2. However, I cannot tolerate the lack of communication, the laziness of other students, and inappropriate actions.
Pros
Free meals, housing, and Rec. trips
Cons
Lack of communication
Enjoyed my trade
Home Builders Institute Student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOOctober 31, 2016
Really enjoyed my trade and learning stuff that will be with me the rest of my life. Staff was very helpful and seemed to care about me and my future.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
Drama
Good place for non traditional students
Welding Student/Center Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOOctober 26, 2016
Enjoyed learning my trade and obtaining my High School Diploma. I enjoyed the food and students. I really feel that coming here has changed my life.
Pros
Free
Cons
Lack of Sleep
Friendly Environment
Welding Student/Center Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOOctober 25, 2016
Great place to work as a youth. Enjoyed the employees and the patrons. Helped me grow as a person. Plus I have always loved the food.
Pros
Free lunchs
Cons
No Cons
Good people good eating
Medical Student/Employee (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOOctober 19, 2016
• Responsible for professionally cleaning, organizing and keeping the office in order
• Received all office mail and distributed it to each building
• Professionally answered phone calls and directed each call to the appropriate department
• Maintained a professional and helpful attitude at all times
Pros
Great food...
Cons
pay
Rewarding work with young people ages 16 - 24. Training opportunities for students with leadership aspirations
Student Leadership Coordinator (Former Employee) –  ExcelFebruary 8, 2016
Opportunity to reach youth who did poorly in the public education systems. A second chance for many students who would be marginalized by society. As Student Government Advocate, I trained over +300 students on basic life skills and general work place disciplines, like dress codes, timeliness, ownership, pride in self sufficiency and EEO / workplace harassment.
Pros
Self rewarding, work with young people, work place practices disciplines training
Cons
No flex time, strict management with negative attitudes towards diverse youth.
Great Learning Place
CMA Student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOOctober 23, 2015
Fun work place with understanding staff. its a good environment and the staff is awesome and friendly. They care about those around them.
Pros
everything is paid for
Cons
not enough health care
Positive work place/training facility
HBI Facility Maintenance student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOOctober 2, 2015
Job corps is an excellent experience for young adults to become a better person and find an career you will be happy with.
welding
Welding Student/Center Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOSeptember 25, 2015
I learn a lot ... It work a hard work it always busy nice place to learn.. you to different stuff and they help me to get my welding trade
Organized and structured
Certified Nursing Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOSeptember 1, 2015
There are supportive staff members and a fun environment for the students. They teach you how to manage your time and how to be proficient. They teach the students how to be professional in the workplace and even in personal settings. They show the students how to have a relationship in a professional setting with the other students. Overall Excelsior Springs Job Corps Center is a very rewarding and educational opportunity.
Pros
free education, room and board, and meals
Cons
not being able to go off campus when you'd like
Productive and fun work place
Home Builders Institute Student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJuly 24, 2015
Every Day is different, never expect to be disappointed cause you wont be. hard work and learn fast. you must be patient cause you got a lot to learn and nothing comes easy, you must earn your certificates cause nothing is handed out
Pros
Teacher get to the point.
Cons
Amount of time it takes.
Productive work place to keep busy throught the day.
Maintenance for HBI (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOApril 2, 2015
My typical day at work starts out with complying with all of the listed job orders I have to repair or fix. I've learned that working safely and proficiently around the job site is the best way to prevent other people getting hurt. I've learned to get the job done in a timely and professional manner. I've learned to work with customers of all varieties. I know how to make the best choices and keep people safe happy and everything working in there apartment. I'm very precise with management, I have that never fall or give up stature about me. I'm a team player, I work very well with others. I'm respectful, responsible, I can work very well in a controlled environment. The hardest part of the job is only when there is other co- workers that don't help out with the daily procedures. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to have a job that I love. I have a passion for building fixing and just mainly helping people and make them feel safe and happy.
Pros
A respected amount of time for breaks.
Cons
difficult people to work with.
Getting a great career
Welding Student/Center Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOFebruary 27, 2015
1. Doing projects.
2. Welding & more.
3. Place to live.
4. Love team work.
5. Not being able to do it longer.
6. Coming to work
Pros
trips
Cons
healthcare
Productive fun place to work
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOOctober 27, 2014
While working in this position I learned how to repair, clean and maintain both residential and commercial buildings. I also learned how to do four season grounds keeping, single pole and three way electrical,minor plumbing and flooring. Also how to repair, troubleshoot, and maintain window a/c units.
Pros
Always an opportunity for adavancment
Cons
Short breaks
Productive fun with pool table, movie room, arts and crafts area, gym with basketball courts, and many sports
Nursing Assistant Clinical (Former Employee) –  Belton, MOSeptember 5, 2014
I get up at 6 in the morning get ready to start my day, eat breakfast, chat with friends, do my duties, and being professional at all times.
Welding
Welding Student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOAugust 13, 2014
through out my time at job corps the welding program help me learn the difference from a job that i could love and keep and a job that has not much benefits you could get or deserve going through this program tought me alot and where i can go in life i want to exceed the expectation company's have to offer nd go beyond the limit i know most of my weld symbols i can blue print read and read measuring tapes i like to work on 1g 2g 3g and 4g electrobe and mig im very dependable reliable trustworthy and punctual.
Pros
free lunch health care dental care
Cons
short breaks
It was a great learning place
Welding Student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJune 30, 2014
Jobcorps was a great opportunity for me. It is a great program. I am very glad that I went to Jobcorps cause it did get me back on my feet and learn a trade.
Pros
free breakfast, lunch, dinner. Lived on a campus for free.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Excelsior Springs Job Corps Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Excelsior Springs Job Corps Center Reviews by Location