Exceptional Persons, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great company with a great mission!!
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 27, 2017
EPI is a Very fun company to work for. They truly care about their employees and offer great benefits! Overall great company with a great mission and values!
Management poor
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 19, 2017
This company needs a union management is poor they treat their employees like you don’t matter, they don’t give out raises, no holiday pay, high insurance. You have to be on call beeper 4 times a year and they work you 32 hours straight they call sleep a break. Management will call u in on your day off, vacation and under doctor order just to do revisions
Pros
Clients
Cons
Exceptional Person
high turn over rate, partially due to hiring students
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 15, 2017
Job was good. They tried hard to work around my class hours as I was a working student. Always hours to pic up, though often hard to find someone to cover your shift as PTO is not a thing for a direct support person. The type of job where managers expected to to show up unless you were dying or asked time off 2+ months ahead.
Enjoyed working there
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IASeptember 27, 2017
I enjoyed the challenge of working with the individuals. I liked that everyday was a different challenge. I liked that management communicated with the staff.
Pros
Challenging job
Cons
Long weekend shifts
Meant for certain type of person and challenging
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAAugust 4, 2017
Overall good place for pay, you don't have managers over your shoulders all of the time, but that means you are working with clients independently likely without coworkers, to deal with adults with mental health or brain injuries. Many of them make the job worth it but it takes a toll on your own mental health. The managers will ask a lot of you. You will be asked to work 12 hour shifts often, and have to sleep at houses you have never been to on on call shifts.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Disorganized management
summer volunteer
Assist staff (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJuly 17, 2017
I volunteered here one summer and it was very enjoyable. EPI gives people the opportunity to work with physical and intellectual disabled population during their summer program.
Very productive place to work.
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 30, 2017
I loved working with individuals. The company itself afforded opurtunities to advance within the company fairly easily if you chose to do so. Management was easy to talk to and most listened when issues,arose.
Pros
Various work hours.
I hate my job but also hate to leave.
DSP 2 (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IA 50701June 29, 2017
I love caring for the people we serve but the pay is barely enough to live on. I would stay but for the amount of responsibility that we have we are not compensated fairly. The only people I know working here that make a decent wage work at least 65 hours a week. Supervisors also do not respect your time off and expect that you be available frequently to be on call from Friday until Monday and sometimes work back to back shifts the whole weekend. It is almost impossible to take time off and even though they offer vacation as a benefit it is almost impossible to use as they expect at least 30 days notice and you are required to find coverage yourself which is impossible because everyone who works here already works full time or more.
Rewarding work, management, communication and support lacking
Representative Payee - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 21, 2017
Rewarding work with people with disabilities and watching them grow. Suggestions on how to make things better are ignored. Tension and negative atmosphere.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Management/communication
Amazing Person's served, poor management
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 7, 2017
Amazing Person's served. Fulfilling job in this sense, but management use bullying tactics to get results. I enjoyed helping out the people whom I was assigned to and felt that I grew as an individual but it was difficult balancing management's desires for paperwork with client real needs.
Pros
Medical Benefits; Lots of overtime
Cons
Awesome place to work for
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAApril 20, 2017
It was very fun and down to earth place to work for. They work with everyones schedule very well and all the staff get along great. THe persons served are great to work with also.
Great Work Experience, High Turnover
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAApril 20, 2017
Received great working experience with brain injured and mentally ill clients.
High turnover rate every year which causes inconsistent team-building for sites.
Pros
Clients, Flexibility, Experience
Cons
Long Hours, Low Pay, High Turnover
Not a great work place
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAApril 17, 2017
I started working at EPI last year and everything was going well. Then in November, my supervisor stopped telling me things. I was waiting for another person to take my shift one night and that person didn't show up until two hours after I was expecting that person and during the wait, I contacted my supervisor on why this person was late. She only responded once. EPI is not a good place to work because the supervisors don't respond often to you and despite what they say in orientation, they go against what they say they won't do.
Na
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAApril 1, 2017
A typical work day, what you have learned, management, workplace culture, the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job, why I enjoying working here.
Dsp
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMarch 26, 2017
Great place to work. Great clientele. I learned a lot and I liked helping people. It gave you a lot of options and you were able to move up in the company if you wanted.
Very rewarding job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 24, 2016
the most enjoyable part about this job was seeing how you helped the people you cared for. Seeing them excited that they finished something.
Currently a program manager!
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 8, 2016
What I love best about working at EPI is the people we support. You get to learn a lot of life lessons while doing a job that is rewarding!
The staff that I get privilege to work with are some of the best, hard working people I've ever met, and my co-workers are the best! They are what keeps me coming back to work day after day! The company does fun events for all to attend including families making it a fun, family friendly environment!
Pros
Flexible schedule, good benefits, opportunity for overtime
Cons
Work sometimes consumes personal life
Great work experience
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 8, 2016
It is a wonderfull place to work. They work with you on your schedule especially if you are going to college. Everyone is easy to work with if you need to switch with someone.
Everyday there is different experience.
The only thing that kept me going was person served.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 8, 2016
I enjoyed what I did as both a Direct Support Professional and as a Program Coordinator working directly with person served. Becoming involved with persons with disabilities and engaging them throughout the community is a rewarding experience. You are making a difference in their lives by advocating for them, sharing experiences with them, and helping them lead normal day-to-day lives. From community events, learning how to cook in the kitchen, managing a grocery list, and even gaining work-skills to join the work force....there are many different opportunities to integrate and become involved with persons served throughout the Cedar Valley.

However...the leadership and upper management in this company do not care about their employees, as they are constantly struggling to keep quality employees from walking out their front doors. Upper Management do not care about the feedback from exiting employees in order to help and improve the structure of this company. Being short-staffed, micro-managing, and holding employees to unrealistic expectations is just the tip of the iceberg in relation to what is truly wrong with this company.

I suggest working here strictly for working with the people that this company attempts to assist. Each individual has a story, a strength, and a weakness...and you are there to highlight their strengths and embrace their weaknesses, all the while advocating for them and integrating them in our community.

If you can look past the poor management and lack of appreciation for those hired, you may consider working here.
Pros
Mileage reimbursement, paid holidays off (if management)
Cons
Poor leadership, do not care about quality employees, always short-staffed
Love the clients, but we're under-staffed
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 8, 2016
I completely love my job working with individuals who suffer from mental illnesses or whom are dually-diagnosed with intellectual/developmental disabilities. However, we suffer from an almost chronic staff shortage which means that shift are always available (though most supervisors have come to accept the word "no.") Supervisors vary--some are really great and on top of things, while others are not. The training is great but with a job like this, you have to be prepared to learn most of it while in the field. The group homes are usually staffed with "regular staff," meaning that you're typically scheduled to work consistently at one house but can pick up shift at other houses. The hardest part of the job can be handling the paperwork, but the clients are super awesome and they become your family.
Pros
Benefits, PTO/sick pay, sign-on bonus (varies), great clients
Cons
Under-staffed