Expedia, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Difficult Time
Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 22, 2016
I've had a difficult time here at Expedia, which is opposite to my previous Corporate experience. Many of the people are great to work with, the overall culture is fantastic, but pay is low (comparatively) and advancement difficult for me to understand. Mgmt speaks to a "work-life" balance, but when I'm called as I'm entering the movie theater at night because they need something within the hour I don't much feel balanced.
Pros
Games, Free Lunches
Cons
Pay
concierge
Local Expert Concierge (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 17, 2016
Expedia is one of the most amazing Jobs I have ever Had. They treat their employees like true royalty. good vibes and great times.
Expedia - People
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 7, 2016
Face-paced environment with good people to work with. Stand out individuals within the organization. Benefits and perks are great.
Overall I love Expedia
Lead Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 28, 2016
I worked for Expedia, Inc. for eight years and four months. During that time i had four permanent directors and one person who served as interim director twice. I loved the company and the experience it provided. I also enjoyed my co-workers. We worked as a team. Our last director did not operate the way we were accustom to. She is concerned about quantity of work and not quality. There were 10 people on our team when she joined us. There is only one person left from that group. In fact she hired a young man she worked with from Microsoft, her previous employer. He tenured his resignation due to stress in Dec 2015.

As I said before, I love Expedia and wanted to retire from the company. The VP of Customer Operations was fantastic. I did not office in Bellevue, but whenever I was there he took time to have a conversation with me. Four years ago I recommended a change in agent training. We went from agents spending five weeks in class and 3 weeks in nesting to agents being hired for one of two specialist: Hotel or Flight. Agents spend 2 weeks in class and 2 weeks in nesting. They leave class feeling confident. They receive customer compliment in nesting and have better QA, FCR, and Customer satisfaction scores than some of our tenured agents. My VP gave me an additional 5% bonus that year. I was also given the first ever 'department of the year award'. The company still follows this training plan.

I was asked to revise all new hire training.
Good work/life balance
Sr. Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 18, 2016
It's a company growing very fast. Seems to have a lot of turnover in upper management positions so direction can be a challenge with lots of manager changes.
Pros
Subsidized bus pass
Exciting work
Sr. Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 17, 2016
The work was exciting. A good place for someone to grow/learn. Hardest part was unsupportive leadership in Global Customer Ops group.
Joys of Travel
Tier 2 Customer Advocacy Resolution Agent (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 13, 2016
Help customer select the best travel package and/or travel item based on customers travel experience. Guide customers with their travel using their redemption points. Explain new feature and offer travel advice. Process changes and cancellations to existing customer records. Work with travel partners/suppliers via phone for redemption issues and/or questions.
Excellent benefits
Travel Agent (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 12, 2016
Expedia is a wonderful company to work for. Great enviroment. Excellent benefits. The harder your work the more money you'll get paid.
Helping Customers to plan and get the trips and vacations they wanted.
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 11, 2016
I loved the work and enjoyed helping customers plan trips and vacations. Expedia provided excellent training and resources for the work.

As an self-employed consultant, I could work the hours I wanted and use the resources for personal use to gain experience and the knowledge needed. I liked the owner of the franchise very much and we got along very well.

The customers I had, seemed to be very satisfied with my assistance and a few did repeat business with me.

We advertised, had booths at a Bridal Show and Home Shows to try to get additional business. I did follow up with people who had showed an interest at the shows, but it generated very little work. Plus our location had very little walk in business. I wasn't pushy enough to get the business needed to be able to support myself.

I hated to leave, but I had to find work that would pay my living expenses. I did try to continue doing this after I had found full time work, but the call center work was too exhausting to manage it.
Pros
Learning all phases of travel, using the information gathered to help customers to take the trips they wanted.
Cons
Pay was strictly on commission only, I wasn't pushy enough to keep customers wanting to continue using me for their travel agent
Productive fun work environment
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 11, 2016
I love my job. It is fun to be able to be apart of the guest experience. Management is awesome and so are the benefits. The most enjoyable part is being able to interact and meet new people from all over the world. A typical ay at work is answering the phones, guests questions, and planning their vacation.
Cons
must work weekends
Exciting place to work planning cruises for customers
Cruise Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 9, 2016
In-bound call center booking cruises for customers, helping them decide the best cruise lines for their vacation, etc.
Relaxed, competitive pay, great leaders
Lodging Operations Agent (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 7, 2016
Coworkers are quality and ethics focused, management is a fantastic mix of well traveled and intelligent people. Sometimes hotel partners aren't up to date on current Expedia rules and procedures and there is a lot of technical malfunctions it being an internet based company. It's enjoyable because its one of those jobs where it seems like a normal call center, but it will surprise you by the content of the work, and the attitude of the staff.
Pros
Relaxed, partner driven sales culture.
Okay place to work
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 30, 2016
Typically a fast paced environment. Great co-workers. The upper and middle management teams have little to no idea what is really happening on the floor but are always trying to come up with new ideas to squeeze more out of the already hard working Hotel Operations team. Like many places the direct supervisors have their favorites. The current evaluation process is devoid of any useful metrics upon which an employee can improve. It's all left up to the "Opinion" of your supervisor as to how profitable you are to the team, and that can change monthly.
Pros
Excellent PTO policies. Great co-workers.
Cons
Upper management is clueless.
It has as any big company it has many pros and cons.
Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 24, 2016
It has as any other companies many pros and cons.

Not bad office. Coffee, tea, clean water, snacks, mac book pro.
Colleagues aren't that helpful (especially from different teams). Everybody are scared for their own job.
Pros
good salary
Cons
plenty badly designed systems, people are scared to change and refactor code, SOA (microservices) approach in real time systems causes a lot of problems, micromanagement
fun place to work with great benefits
Premium Agent/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 15, 2016
fun place to work with great benefits, awesome environment, great discounts and deals. Managers and teams were great, easiest job i ever had.
Local Culture Not Like Seattle
GCO (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 9, 2016
Pay is great and benefits are good, local HR and managers - not so much. Other sites have free soda, free snacks, and even free beer IN THE OFFICE on a regular basis. The Springfield site is very different, people have gotten fired for drinking in Springfield.
Expedia's Air Fulfillment Departement was the best.
Tier 4 Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 6, 2016
Expedia's Air Fulfillment Department provided the greates experience when it came to troubleshooting and resolving flight ticket reject issues.,
Concierge
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 29, 2016
Customer service rep, sales rep. and leader. I helped take customers info and make leads sales. I picked up inbound calls and outbound calls. Goal setting and meetings
Pros
lots of perks
Cons
not organized
good company for balance life between work and family
SR Technical Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 22, 2016
great place to work as family center person. Balance work and family life. You will be sure to have time to accompany with your value family members. Also you can improve your skill set in this company.
Pros
flexible working hours, balance stress in work
Cons
working environment, compensation
Good
Expedia Local Expert (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 18, 2016
Good job to have but hard to move up. Many people have left due to not being able to obtain growth. I worked as a concierge with Expedia Local Expert. They are flexible with school which is good.