Expedia, Inc.

Expedia, Inc. Employer Reviews

Fast pace company with progressive growth
Director, Internet Services (Current Employee), Remote Director working in OhioJanuary 20, 2015
Challenging, Global work environment. Travel is encouraged.
Technologies do not rock at the company
Senior Software Developer (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAJanuary 19, 2015
The company suffers from using the technologies from the time when they were part of MS. What that really means is that any change requires too much effort to implement.
Working from Home Isn't for Everyone
Content Editor (Contract) (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: satisfying work, flexible hours, at home
Cons: low pay, no life/work balance, no security or advancement
Working from home for low wages is probably an ideal assignment for someone with school-age kids and a spouse working outside of the home. I can't recommend it as a sole source of income for a single person like myself, except perhaps as a "from hunger" job to tide one over between higher-paying contracts at Amazon and Microsoft. But the contract-to-contract lifestyle can burn through one's financial resources rather quickly, so my advice is to always try for a full-time job, if you can find it. Also, unless you have phenomenal self-control, working from home tends to erode one's life-work balance. Hence, it loses one of the key selling points of contracting. It's low-wage office work outside of the office. That said: I did enjoy learning about far-flung hotels, editing hotel descriptions down to the simplest language, and the challenge of clearing a global or regional queue of requested edits in a set period of time. But it was a short, low-paid contract dangled between longer, more rewarding assignments.
productive work environment plus perks like free Starbucks coffee and a gameroom
Financial Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Springfild, MOJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: free starbucks!!! game room great insurance
best job i ever had. the only reason i am leaving is because i want to move to Sedona AZ. I entered invoices for destination services, such as swimming with the dolphins and theatre tickets, as well as invoices for car rental and hotel stays. I also made suggestions for improvements for programs and processes and they were implemented.
Excellent work environment, great training oportunities
Customer Ops Support Analyst (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAJanuary 3, 2015
Great company to work for, a little low on the pay scale however they offer great training opportunities. Staff is helpful and friendly. They want to work with you and help with your current job as well help get you into a job when your out of one.
Best Place I have ever worked
Lodging Support Agent (Former Employee), Springfield, MODecember 16, 2014
Pros: everyone is caring, very professional
Cons: overnights can be very busy
I absolutely loved my job here. I wish I did not have to move in the fall of 2014 or I would have kept it forever,but things change. Defiantly is a wonderful place to work. I worked a day shift, and I still had time to do homework at my desk for school. Everyone was very understanding and always willing to help you out if you need it.
Great company to work for until we trained our replacements
Network /System Administrator (AWSA) (Former Employee), Phoenix AzDecember 15, 2014
I enjoyed working for this company immensely until we trained a NOC team in india and they promised our jobs were safe. Once we had the other team up and running they let all of the contractors go.
Productive and fun place of work
CustomerOps Support Analyst, Expedia Inc (Former Employee), Bellevue, WANovember 25, 2014
Being a part of a team that will handle 24x7 operational hours was fun and always a good challenge to accept.
Good job with unstable future
Sales (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVNovember 18, 2014
Pros: meet some new friends, good benefits, vacation time
Cons: crazy schedules, some managers are hard to deal with, always walking on egg shells
I had a good experience at this company as I did what was asked of me. You are graded by performance on quarterly basis and always reminded that the door to exit is right there. I've never seen a place where so many people come and go. Most people call it a Revolving Door. It often seems when you start to know someone they are let go. The company does not pay for holidays nor observe holidays. So you can bet you are working every holiday unless you're scheduled off. As a new person coming on you will almost always be working weekends and be ready to get up early. They do offer good benefits for employees. It was a good job selling travel.
Expedia
Cruise Agent (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVNovember 4, 2014
A very time oriented company. Works with his employees, while keeping focused on the company.
Expedia
Cruise Specialist (Current Employee), Las VegasOctober 22, 2014
Pros: free specialty coffee and filtered water; travel benefits.
Extremely complex and frustrating job - especially for the money you earn. I have several years experience in the travel industry and have never worked in a company that had such poorly functioning operating systems. They also have no regard for potential worker's compensation claims. The desks are too small for the two very large screens you have to view on a continual basis; no wrist rest and no mouse pad, chairs don't adjust. Very uncomfortable for an 8 hour shift.

They also don't advise you the commission plan or work schedule until you have completed 6 weeks of training.
Good environment; however, they had too many management changes leading to unhappy employees
UAT Financial Business Analyst/Jr Project Manager (Former Employee), Springfield, MOOctober 22, 2014
Pros: team building and excellent benefits
Cons: management reorgs
A typical day at work would begin with the Project Manger, Developer, key stakeholder, or someone from the Engineer team contacting me regarding my part of the SCRUM process. I would write BRDs, user stories, and test case scenarios after meeting with the stakeholders and project group. Then, I would begin regression testing. I would perform a check and balance on my tests by writing my own SQL queries for a final outcome.

I learned a lot about SQL. Management began great, and then after several reorgs, management declined drastically. The co-workers were literally the best of the best. The hardest part of my job was knowing which boss to report to and when. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting or exceeding my deadlines and winning an award for saving the company money through one of my analytical findings.
Fun place to work
Customer Service and Sales Associate (Former Employee), Springfield, MOOctober 16, 2014
I enjoyed my time there and there is much room for growth. If you do not have a family, get on board with them and take it wherever you want it to go...worldwide!
Great culture
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Bellevue, WAOctober 6, 2014
Pros: great benefits and pay scale
Cons: no work-life balance
No work like balance
Great work culture
Great people and corporate ethics
No work-life balance
good place to work
Sales Agent (Former Employee), springfieldSeptember 27, 2014
overalll good place to work but other than that i really have nothing to say.
Solid opportunity for entering the world of travel planning
Vacation and Cruise Consultant (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: great environment, fun and rewarding.
Cons: commission-only pay (low at beginning until volume is built).
Great company providing an opportunity for entering the world of travel planning. It is certainly an environment that provides learning on an ongoing basis. Franchise Partners are there to be utilized for answering questions on a daily basis. Co-workers can also be learned from based on their area(s) of expertise. The hardest part of this job is a combination of commission-only pay and learning all the options available for the effective booking of travel.
Fun place to work
Network Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee), DALLAS TXAugust 31, 2014
Lots of work very intense environment but rewarding. Company relocted NOC to Arizona
NA
Geographer (Former Employee), SeattleAugust 20, 2014
In this position I first managed the geography in Nth America and then Asia Pacific where I was responsible for the creation, maintenance, and analysis of global geographic, administrative divisions, hotels, car vendors, points of interest, airports, train & metro stations, and mapping data across Expedia Inc. brands.
Great Work Environment with fun co-workers and most management positions
Property Assistance Coordinator (Current Employee), Springfield, MOAugust 13, 2014
Pros: travel reimbursement program; discounted travel rates to hotels
Cons: hard to move up into management
Call center phone call from North America continent.
enhanced my De-escalation skills with upset, angry, confrontational individuals over the phone.
Co-workers experience same frustrations as you so they can easily relate and dont judge for occasional bad attitude.

Favoritism is apparent based on extra job duties assigned or tasks given.
movement into leadership is hard, mainly because turn-over in those positions is low.
Great Company, But Sub Par Middle Management
GLOBAL TRAINING MANAGER (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 8, 2014
Pros: travel perks
Cons: void of emotional intelligence within middle management
I loved working at Expedia, especially all the travel perks! The Senior Management was great, but some of the people they hired in Middle Management were pathetic.

The company put a "huge" emphasis on hiring people who looked good on paper, but failed to pay attention to their people skills and personality. What I often found is that Middle Managers suffered from "culture clash". Our company was fun, upbeat, and fast pace; whereas alot of the Middle Managers seemed more intent on "changing our culture" rather than "embracing it"

Depending on where you land in the organization there will be a night and day difference in Middle Management. The issue does not exist everywhere, but it is prominent enough that I hope Senior Leadership takes notice.

If you don't love travel, enjoy a little zaniness, or don't interact with others don't bother to apply...you will stick out like a sore thumb!

1 2 3 4 5

About Expedia, Inc.

As citizens of Expedia we don’t have a national anthem or a native dish (okay, maybe beer and late-night sliders), but we – Read more