Expeditors International of Washington Employee Reviews

Business World...Not for Me.
Customs Entry Writer (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCAugust 18, 2015
This company is really great and has some excellent standards. They really care about their employees and want to take care of them so they take care of the customers (and they will say that, too). This is definitely a corporate environment and you will most likely have a desk job which, I must say, is terrible for your health and well-being. The work is generally monotonous although the ultimate product, – more... which is shipping containers all around the world, is at least a little interesting.
My manager was very upbeat and flexible. She let me change my schedule when I told her that my work-life balance was pretty uneven. However, she and the rest of my coworkers are a little unprofessional at times. They expect everyone to come to all the office outings and events which ALWAYS revolve around alcohol. Even though employees regularly get drunk and do things that might get them fired, they are accepted and their behavior is condoned by the staff. I don't know if the company would formally embrace these practices...
I didn't enjoy my job very much because it was essentially data entry while staring at a computer all day. If you're a salesperson, you don't have this sort of position but you are always trying to prove your worth and sell the company, so those folks tend to be a little flaky.
Anyway, if you're looking to make your living in the business/corporate world, this would be the place for you. Not for me. – less
Great solid company
Order Management Supervisor (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 9, 2015
Pros: outstanding benefits
Cons: not very flexible
Opportunites for personal development and personal growth. The structure of the company is very sound and developed.
No room for growth
HQ Helpdesk Technician - Tier 3 (Former Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: health benefits
Cons: everything
After years, working for Expeditors. I didn't see much room for growth. The corporate culture is nice. However, the management doesn't follow the culture at all. Everything that is done needs five levels of approvals. Ordering aspirin also needs five different approvals.
Long Hours, Little Pay
Air Export Agent (Current Employee), Miami, FLFebruary 10, 2015
If you are coming in as entry level, be prepared to work long hours in a stressful industry.

This can be a very stressful and intense job. Be prepared for this.

You will be brought in as a Temp most likely and subject to not obtaining any benefits for many months.
Very Professional
Regional Facility and Process Designer (Current Employee), Laredo, TXFebruary 2, 2015
I really good place to learn about logistics. They train you since the first day about their business, culture, goals, expectations, etc.
Good benefits. Salary could be better.
great employees...but
Brokerage Mgr, Compliance Officer, Air/ocean Mgr (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 26, 2015
managers have no life working between 14-16 hour days and weekends and little or no recognition whatsoever...they figure out how to suck all the juice out of the lemon and leave you out to dry
Great Business Culture
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2015
A company that truly lives by what it preaches.
It taught me everything I know. It was a great school! The managers are all inspirational and great mentors. My co-workers were like family and the hardest thing about my job was having to say goodbye. I was laid off during the recession. If I had it my way, I would have retired working there. I love this company.
Outstanding company culture in a competitive industry
Customs Brokerage Agent (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 11, 2014
Pros: benefits, offices around the world
Cons: global trade never sleeps!
Working at Expeditors has opened my eyes to the vast world of logistics and freight forwarding. The culture of the company enables a rigid adherence to international regulatory compliance but still emphasizes human aspects, like humor, in the work environment.
Logistics
Traffic Management Specialist (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 2, 2014
Pros: lots of work, the day goes by quick
Cons: hard for management to train personnel. a left "hanging, " feeling is common.
A 3rd party logistics provider. Management varies depending on a location. An ok start for a career but best to move on.
Fortune 500 logistic company
Vertical Industry Classification Admin (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJune 9, 2014
Pros: professional company
Cons: a traditional company, less energy
Professional company
People are very friendly here.
A traditional company, less energy. Most of employees are experienced person.
fast paced
Rollback Specialist (Current Employee), houston, txMay 6, 2014
fast paced environment. say opportunities for advancement, however those are hard to come by
Customs Brokerage Firm
Import Agent (Current Employee), Romulus, MIApril 24, 2014
I arrive to work 15 mins early to start my work day sign in to prepare to key entries for shipments crossing from Canada into the US. I have learned OGA (other government agencies) FDA, FCC, DOT, APHIS, TSCA, etc. I am a hard work that work well with others.
A company designed for people without families
Product Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 12, 2014
Staff is expected to work very long hours for salaried compensation below the market standards. Half of the local office was comprised of management, creating too much oversight and not enough support on the desk level. All hourly employees were looking for other employment when I left the company. The small office size meant you got to know all your co-workers closely, which was nice.
Great Logistics Company
Promotion - Ocean Export Lead (Former Employee), Seatac, WANovember 18, 2013
Great security and benefits but not the best work/life balance.
Best work experience I've had
Local IT / Administrative Support (Former Employee), Miami, FLNovember 12, 2013
Pros: free lunches, great atmosphere, benefits
Cons: n/a
-Most popular employee always socializing and keeping smiles on everyone's face
-New day New experience
-More than just co-workers, everyone was family
-Great boss
Great benefits and excellent management
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 20, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: hours
Terrific career company to work for. People were fun, company provided several employee appreciation days. Continuous educational programs were key to making the job fulfilling.
Great Job. Great company.
U.S. Customs Import Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 8, 2013
Pros: great computer / communication systems.
Cons: don't like the way it ended.
It was all logistics and Customs Brokerage. Fast Paced and very challenging. When I left Exel Global Logistics, the account I was handling moved with me to Expeditors. (Hon Hai / Foxconn / Cisco). Expeditors had state of the art communications, and top drawer employees. They only hired the best. I was ecstatic I was part of the team! My typical day was Customs clearance of urgent air freight, followed by Ocean Customs Clearances, followed by dispatch of (now) domestic delivery to consignee. The volume of Hon Hai / Foxconn / Cisco freight went thru the roof! I was given assistants to help with the volume. I personally trained each of the six assistants I gained over the three years I was working there. Yes... I loved working at Expeditors Int'l. of Washington.
Customer Service Oriented, Metric Driven
District Sales Executive (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 28, 2013
Pros: healthcare benefits, 401k, fuel reimbursement
Cons: lack of managerial training, poor managerial supplemental training for new hires, low branch morale, operational redundancies, micromanagement
The company implements a wide variety of KPI's to ensure quality of customer service. All employees are required to undergo continuous monthly training that exceeds the industry average in order to remain current with industry information.

A typical day involves constant prospecting, meetings/follow up with target customers and communications with other branches for pricing and any past/existing customer – more... relationship information.

The most difficult aspect of this position is effectively and efficiently managing the responsibilities. Misinformation and misdirection leads to duplication of tasks.

Co-workers are pleasant to work with. However, there is one who drives down morale and has explicitly emphasized the preference to influence both the professional and personal lives of colleagues. – less
Bad Management, hours and work/life balance
Operations Agent (Former Employee), Brisbane, CAApril 16, 2013
Pros: coworkers -- some
Cons: management, pay, work/life balance
Expect monthly meetings informing you of how much profit the branch makes all the while no one except management is getting bonuses. Expect to work practically overnight to ensure that your work gets done if you work swing/night.
Reputable Company
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Seattle, WAApril 12, 2013
Pros: career growth
Cons: too corporate and regimented
I learned a lot at Expeditors- one of the first times experiencing true corporate America. I learned business processes, global logistics, systems, accounting processes, and special projects. It was very hands on and opportunities of growth were available. I felt that this company shaped me to become the professional that I am today.