Expeditors Employee Reviews in United States

Good place to start your career
Software Development Lead (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 29, 2016
Pro
- Good place to start out of college.
- Management care about you as a person which is rare to see in software development.
- Opportunity to grow in your career.

Cons
- You're required to wear a tie which comes across as business telling software development where "IT people" should fit at the company.
- (Theme -->) Business Owners attempt to control the contact and interaction software developers have within our internal branches. This filter has severely limited our ability to respond to our branches needs.
- The direction for our application development vision is under continued review. The lack of Business Owners mixed with resistance to releasing decision power has created many bottle necks within our development process.

Overall, I believe the company is a good place to work. I tend to be honest and the problems mentioned above are a common theme within many large corporations. I do believe the company will overcome those issues in time.
Exp(loy)ditors
Global Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 10, 2015
They'll use you up and spit you out. This company DOES NOT value it's employees and is strutted like a feudal kingdom where the salaries are ALL low, BUT, the more you are "liked" the more in discretionary bonus the DM will hand out. The average desk worked may see a few hundred a month in "bonus" while the DM can be putting a $100,000 0r $ 200,000 A MONTH into their own pockets. The talk is always of "hiring / advancing people from within" but unless you sell your soul, and are THE favorite of your DM or RVP, you don't stand a chance. The CHQ / Upper Management all has "their friends" in the positions of power and hard work, good ideas and effort are not valued in comparison to being Irish, Italian ( or better - both ) and of course Catholic ( HUGE Catholic bias ). If you're African American or have ANY kind of a disability...keep looking, nothing to see at Expeditors.
Pros
no cost medical / dental / vision benefits
Cons
Expeditors is akin to Amway and Scientology in it's workforce. You WILL NOT advance.
Great Benefits
Gateway Export Agent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2016
Good benefits, good work environment. Long hours, low pay. Company as a whole is great, but the management can be lazy sometimes.
Great company to work for
Ocean Export Agent (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 15, 2015
Expeditors International has a lot to offer including their core values and a good work culture.
The opportunity to relocate to different regions are endless. The salary was low considering the long hours needed to work in order to meet company deadlines.
Pros
Relocation
Cons
Work long hours
Good Place to Start learning
Lead (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 2, 2016
This is a great place to join straight out of college. The people do care about your success and growth. The people are great and the work life balance is good for a growing family. In the end, there comes a point where you only have so many tools to do your job. There is an expectation that the development department can code it everything, while this mentality is changing, it's changing very slowly. Lastly, we always wear a tie, which highlights the "traditional" 90's mentality that our business has for development.
Pros
The people care about you and your job.
Cons
It's stuck in the 90's and can't get itself out.
Great Culture
Ocean Export Agent (Current Employee) –  Romulus, MISeptember 5, 2015
Expeditors has a great culture and is overall a nice place to be. My typical day is cramming through emails and processing shipments. There is a lot of coordination with our customers and our offices overseas for any given shipment. Since I was new to the field when I accepted my position here, i learned a great deal about the Logistics and Transportation industry. I learned the export compliance laws and regulations that must be followed and what information is necessary for export customs clearance. One of the most useful skills i learned is how to manage my time effectively. I am able to prioritize my information and be the most efficient employee i can be. I am always looking for ways to improve my everyday work. The most difficult part of my job is knowing the laws and regulations of other countries we may be shipping to. It is very important to do research and reach out to key contacts overseas to get all the information ahead of time.
Pros
Culture; Opportunity; Good Work/Life Balance; Heathcare
Cons
Compensation; Recognition; Location
Good job security, steady work with great health benefits
Full-Time Accounting Agent (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2016
Expeditors is a great place for people of all ages, no matter where you are in your career. A versatile company, there is a place that you will fit whether it is in the warehouse shifting freight or in the office overseeing the day-to-day operations.
Pros
Great Insurance options
Cons
Long Hours
Productive n Fun workplace
Customs Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 23, 2016
A typical work day is busy at times. The over all day is fun and you get to learn a lot more about logistics and the back ground of things. I've learned more about the shipments where they come from and the different Country's that the company has business with. The team that I work with are a very good and helpful team. When I first started they where very helpful wit helping me get settled. They also made sure that I learned the ropes and that I was comfortable with begin on my own.The hardest part of the job is as soon as you get comfortable with doing one thing. You are moving on to something new. Which is a good thing as well. The most enjoyable part of the job learning something new everyday.
Screening Supervisor (Current Employee) –  humble txDecember 17, 2015
Excellent job, work in warehouse cargo screening. clean facility. Managers are okay, middle managers catch a lot of flak for silly reasons. employees treated well, raises not often but the opportunity is there if the timing is right
Pros
employee appreciation day, paid vacay. sick time accruals, 401k, stocks, health insurance
Cons
oil&gas volatile industry. slow during winters
Overall good place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE, LEAD, SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Seattle WA, Austin TXOctober 8, 2015
I worked in two locations, Seattle WA. and Austin TX. In Seattle the upper management was great. They took the time to get to know all the employees and their families. The direct management was only worried about themselves and the money in their pocket. The team I was on was very unhappy and the direct management did not care because money was being made. In Austin it was the exact opposite. The upper management was horrible and thought that we were just lucky to have jobs. The direct management at least for my team cared very much. The people I worked with on a team level were great and we had a lot of fun.
Pros
The benefits were completely paid for.
Cons
All about the numbers
Good, but no room for advancement
Real Estate Broker/Realtor (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 4, 2015
Expeditors has great benefits, but the pay is very low because of that. The management does not have visibility on thier employees which makes the culture very hard to thrive in. The turn over is very high do to the lack of trust between everyone.
Not a great place to work
various (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoOctober 2, 2015
Managers don't know anything. They are blind and deaf to what their teams needs. Managers take full advantage of their loose schedules (doing personal chores - gym, cleaners, shopping...on company time). They think their teams are dumb and blind to what they are doing but they're not. Corporate constantly pushing new initiatives and not sticking with it. Abandoning it after only a couple of weeks than pushing something completely different. Work-Life balance is non existent unless of course you are one of the managers.
Pros
Hard working employees.
Cons
Horrible decisions by management.
not that great from the bottom
Ocean Export Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2016
you manage your desk it is not a team atmosphere even though they put you on a team. Co works are friendly but cannot get to close as everybody must watch there own but.

Management is non existent. they take little information about what you do and go basest on word of direct supervisors or other employees to gauge your work.

harest part of the job is time management it can be your best friend or worst enemy. you direct superiors do not help unless work is escalated so you must manage time or you will be running from behind
Pros
great benifets
Cons
low pay and they don't care about the low level people
An ok company
clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 19, 2015
Very micro and time managed work environment. Management requires close to 100% accuracy at all times which can sometimes be very stressful.
Pros
advancement is realistic and reachable
Cons
Environment is not very conducive to talking to management
Unfortunately the MIA branch is not in line with the rest of the organization's commitment to quality through its resources(Employees)
Import Agent (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 3, 2015
Although I would recommend to anyone to pursue their careers with this company, I cannot, in good conscience recommend for anyone to work in Expeditors Miami Branch. Upper Management has been clear in the past years that its main objective is to make money, at the detriment of its employees.
Pros
Great Benefits, 401K, Stock Purchase program, Health care
Cons
Upper Management in MIA branch, lack of interest in Non-management level employees
Productive Job Environment
Sales and Marketing Internship (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJDecember 21, 2015
As an intern, position is very hands on and informative. Management wants the best for its employees and a lot of room for advancement.
Productive hard working company
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Grapevine, TXMarch 23, 2016
Each day I log new deliveries arriving to DFW. I then assess the location and requested delivery date for each file. I create delivery orders and dispatch to local carriers for delivery the same day or following day. The hardest part of this job is to ensure a customer receives timely and undamaged freight. I've learned about moving freight from other counties to the final destination. Expeditors employees are some of the hardest working people I've ever worked with. The best part comes at 4:00pm when my day is done and knowing all the deliveries will be moving to final destination.
Pros
Great insurance
Great Benefits with exceptions
Java Programmer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Great medical benefits and paid orca card. There's not a lot of over time or over working which is a plus. And they are pretty flexible when it comes to family engagements.

Cons: Terrible vacation accrual. They also micromanage what you can have on your desk (one photo) and what you can post on your computer monitor (nothing), where you can hang your coat (not on the back of your chair), etc. And (when I worked there) women had to wear pantyhose or tights with skirts or dresses. They are a little behind the times with the work culture.
This Place Used to Be Better
Anon (Current Employee) –  Bensenville, ILOctober 29, 2015
This place at one time was the best place to plant oneself to provide for their families and to shine in a growing company. Now this place has become slowly overridden with issues regarding numbers and scores, and the value of the employees well being has taken a back seat. As a result a lot of hard working, decent employees have left the company for avenues that are far less stressful with much higher earnings per year. Do yourself a favor and research which department you plan to be in, the training of your managers, and the satisfaction of the employees therein, before you decide to call this home.
Pros
Right dept; work friends, good support group, steady work
Cons
Wrong dept; overworked, overwhelmed, under trained, mixed in with poor management
Learned a lot in a short amount of time
Air (Former Employee) –  MichiganAugust 20, 2015
Fast paced environment which I loved. Compensation was no where near what they originally stated, and nor were the hours that I was intended to work. Management was not in the loop with what the desk agents were doing and didn't know how long I had been working there. They say they are family oriented, but once out all communication is cut off. No rhyme or reason, and no exit interview? Odd for a company that keeps saying that they are the best in the industry.
Pros
Great health care
Cons
Bad management