Exploratorium Employee Reviews

Lots of learning going on!
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 18, 2015
The Exploratorium is a magical place filled with wonderful people.
Not always the easiest or most productive place to work.
Job Stuff
Frontline (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 2, 2015
I enjoyed my position. There needs to be communication between departments. Left because disliked the Frontline merger stuff.
Great Staff, Strong Management, Fun Work
Membership Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 7, 2015
The Membership team at the Exploratorium is a small group of hard-working folks who consistently meet their goals and host great special events for their members. I enjoyed my time with Membership and the sales aspect of the non-profit world. I always felt supported by management, yet associates had a strong sense of independence on the floor.
Enjoyable
Guest Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 22, 2015
-I greet guests and help them find their way around the museum.
-My co-workers are friendly but I am looking for a job where more interaction and team work comes into play.
-The hardest part of my job is doing the same thing for my whole shift.
-The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the dogs that my co-workers bring into the office.
Pros
Free admission to the museum, a lot of dogs pass by
Cons
Slow and repetitive work
big team strong culture
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 7, 2015
definitely a place to work for if they are hiring you as part time or full time! very big team yet they are able to form a bond with the whole team.
Pros
lax work, feel like you're contributing to education
Cons
on-call is very unstable
UNION DISPATHED CONSTRUCTION PROJECT
job foreman (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 15, 2015
THIS WAS A FUN PROJECT. THE NEW EXPLORITORIUM IN SAN FRANCISCO IS RIGHT DOWN ON THE WARF. WE COMPLETED THE INSTALLATION OF 2 CAFETERIAS FOR ALL THE REFRIGERATION.
Pros
great work environment & great pay
Cons
only a short term project
Fun and open work environment
Membership Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 13, 2014
The staff here is great. You are able to grow within the institution. You can be yourself without feeling different.
Tense, divided workplace with inept management, but saved by a staff of hardworking, passionate people
Support (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 3, 2014
There are 3 main factors that contributed to a tense, divided culture that I ultimately decided I did not want to be a part of: 1) It's a very large organization (with more and more of a corporate feel) that just went through a major site relocation in April '13 and laid off 1/5 of its staff in Oct '13. Lots of lingering confusion on job roles with seemingly a lack of interest from management to provide clarity and communication. Creates lots of frustration and inefficiency. 2) Management Team is mainly comprised of scientists and educators, not trained managers. As a result, people management skills are incredibly lacking and communication is weak. There is a palpable disconnect/communication gap between management and rest of staff. 3) There is also what seems to be a greater fundamental shift in the identity of the museum. Once it moved to the new location it began to expand moneymaking ventures, like consulting and building exhibits for other museums (adding to the more corporate feel), which many feel rips at the heart of why the museum was started in the first place.

On the other hand, the majority of the staff are wonderful people who are all passionate and want the best for the Exploratorium. Between the museum's major financial woes, lack of communication from mgmt, and overall fragmented, dismal office culture, the hardworking, committed workforce seem to be the only thing saving the place. But at the end of the day, I was consistently left with the impression that the Exploratorium is not as committed to its people as its people are committed to the Exploratorium.
love it!
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMay 26, 2013
The exploratorium is a wonderful place to work. The families that come from all over the country to visit this legendary museum while on vacation provide a wonderful atmosphere to work in.
Great Place for a first job!
Explainer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 5, 2012
I will never forget how many lasting memories I have from the Exploratorium. It taught me so much about science, the working world, and working with the public and other people. Made some great friends!
Pros
great people, environment, fun fun fun job!
Cons
pay wasn't great, but its been a while haha

4.2