EXPRESS OIL CHANGE Employee Reviews

Full Service Shop with Dead End Possibilities
Assistant Manager, Ragsdale Road location (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, GAApril 22, 2016
Having spent just under 5 years with Express Oil Change, my regret was having spent that long working for that company only to be fired with only one infraction by a manager who was stealing from the company in order to hire his friend and literal partner in crime.

Regional management did not care, as they intended to let go of me anyways since I worked as management for a franchise that was bought out and intended to simply put in their own people.

If you have little to no experience and can work for a franchise, highly recommended for the immersion of working on vehicles.

If you have no expectations of doing anything more in life and are willing to comply to people in Alabama that are completely disconnected from reality and the industry as a whole, work for corporate.
Nice service structure
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 17, 2016
Nice place long hours and room for growth. Management is excellent Great pay for service techs and managers loved the company
Enjoyable Place to Work, Wages Low
Technician (Current Employee) –  Gardendale, ALJanuary 27, 2016
wonderful place to work, however, limited wages. Typical day at work is fast-paced with many things to achieve. Management is good. My co-workers are enjoyable to work with. No really any hard parts to this job as I am experienced. Dealing with courteous, friendly clients.
Pros
Medical benefits
Cons
Rate of Pay is not good, was promised promotion and increased wages, received promotion, did not receive wage increase
express oil change sucks
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 11, 2016
I put my heart and soul into this company and never really got anything in return. All they preach is sacrifice, sacrifice, sacrifice! All you do is give and give and give to this company and they just blow smoke up your rear to keep you going. Don't work here they suck at taking care of employees, they are manipulative two faced man child, they don't care about you, do not work here.
Pros
work on your own junk
Cons
everything
Working with customers in a fast-paced outdoor enviroment with automotive repair mentality
Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALMay 1, 2016
Explaining to customers what best fits their vehicle under the current conditions. Accurately information on fluid levels, the wearing of belts/hoses, tire tread, stocking oil and related products, giving updated information on inventory to both Assistant and General Manager. Being a Team Player
Pros
Cons
Prejudice, Unprofessional, and hateful attitudes from Managment and employes alike
fast pace and a lot of work
Oil Change Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJuly 24, 2016
express is a lot of work they are constantly busy and its hard to take a break when you want on. changing oil on different cars and it can be a day where there are 70 cars that come in.
Company is complacent about getting more people in.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 18, 2016
I have tried to do my job to the best of my ability but it seems like we don't have enough help. I am constantly going from the oil change bays to the mechanical department to pick up slack. If we are covered on oil change bays, mechanics have to stop what they are doing (potentially big jobs, or customers waiting) and do rotates on tires or other things.

The one thing that keeps the stores from falling apart, and this is my opinion, but I feel like the amount of hours worked (50-60) brings a tight union between coworkers. As of late, it has become very stressful because we had one of our employees stealing money from customers and made us basically force him out the door. Upper management is extremely nice and is thoughtful but has too much on their hands to deal with stores issues.

I believe that hiring and firing should be on a store level and upper management should worry about payroll concerns, auditing stores, keeping up with monthly budget and such. Also, each store gets 7-8 employees but the stores in Madison get 12-15. They have a higher volume but I feel like some of the smaller stores could do better if they had more help. It would make them more confident about giving work over to another dept. without the worry of them having to do the work themselves, or making the customer upset/angry.

Hopefully the CEO will make improvisations in the future to make the workplace a lot more successful and less stressful. He is a really outstanding guy but I believe he is concerned about revenue above all.
Pros
Tight-knit crew, breaks when not working on vehicles, funny atmosphere
Cons
Lunches depend on whether or not you are busy, management can be complacent about hiring, hours can be above 50+ if someone is on vacation, short crew so callouts can mean more work.
Hard, long, dirty work with people to laugh with.
Pit Technician (Former Employee) –  Gardendale Al, 35071January 11, 2015
Working with your hands and dirty work. Atmosphere is great, benefits are ok as far as insurance goes. Not to much to advance in unless you want this career for the rest of your life. in my opinion, unless your into the management of this business your not going to make a good living.
Pros
Good hours, Good overtime
Cons
Long weeks, short lunches, and minimum wage.
Fast Paced work place.
Hood Technician/ Pit Technician (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 18, 2014
A typical day at work is we do oil changes trying to up sell customers on service that are needed, helping the customres, cleaning the shop, and running registers. What I have learned is to deal with every customers with kindness and take the time to see what is needed for them then recomend what they need. The management at the job could be better but some of the store managers do good work they help with the cars but some stay in the office while the hood technicians are out in the hot weather. My co-workers are good people that work hard to provide for their familys and help each other out. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the weather. The most enjoyable part is that I enjoy working with my hands and helping the customers get what they need.
Pros
Cheep oil changes and mechanical work.
Cons
short to no lunches, the insurance, and if you miss more than 3 days a year they will fire you
Busy
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 8, 2016
Busy days.
Manager is great.
Others are tolerable.
50 hour weeks which make for a long week.
Hardest part is trying to get a lunch.
Enjoyable is going home to my family.
Friendly environment
Hood Technician/ Pit Technician (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 8, 2014
Work on cars and doing light mechnical work, oil changes, flush radiators, transmition services, communicate with customers, up sell the services, sell air filters, run a cash register, open/ close the store, count the cash for nightly deposit, and handel customer/ employee complants. What I've learned from this company is to keep calm with people and have been to a few classes to learn more about how to deal with customer complaints, and a few classes on working on vehicles. My management and co-workers are friendly people to work for and with, we treat each other as family, the management is willing to work with you if you need to take a certin day off. The hardest part of the day would be working out in the environment all day and not getting a break. The most enjoyable part of the day is getting to help the customers.
Awful place to work
HOOD TECH (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 18, 2015
During my time here. I was a witness to the store manager act like a errant child. He would get mad and throw tools. Kick customers cars. Cuss in front of customers. Throw things at other employees. I would definatly no reccomend this job to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Store manager totally nuts
it was a good place to work at
SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LADecember 15, 2015
good coworkers it was exciting to meet new custmores an seeing the old one when they come back lets us know we did good the last time. when there wasnt anything to do we didnt have to do anything
Pros
it was laid back
Cons
wasnt no cons
Productive work environment
Manager In Training (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 5, 2015
Nice job opportunity for anyone wanting to learn more about the auto industry. Particularly changing oil and maintaining a healthy vehicle. Fun work environment, hardest part of the job is the unpredictable rush of customers.
Pros
Good people and good work environment
Not bad
Hood technician (Former Employee) –  Pelham, ALSeptember 29, 2014
A monday through saturday job working from 8 to 6. they will start you off on base salary. the guys at pelham are awesome. they made the work environment interesting. Down side is you barely get a lunch break and you will get frustrated with the cars flying in. sundays you will be off. but all in all its ok.
Great place to get your vehicle serviced.
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, Tennessee on Chapman highwayAugust 21, 2015
At times it felt like I was just a number to the employer, but they still care about you and your family at the end of the day so all-in-all it isn't bad. I wouldn't work here again but it's a job, nothing more.
Pros
Great customer service and clean uniforms
Cons
Higher up employees tend to grind you about number and statistics all day.
This company will never understand anything about employees.
Hood tech pit tech (Former Employee) –  BirminghamJanuary 31, 2013
Don't ever work here. The hours are not good at all. 8am to 6pm 5 days a week. Pay is not good at all. They don't want to pay any body anything. Upper management/ corporate told me "god first express oil change second and family third. This place is a joke!!! Please don't work here!!!
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
pit and hood technician
pit and hood technician (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 21, 2013
perform oil changes on all types of cars and trucks. perform mechanical repairs also.
Pros
good possible advancement not a really hard job
Cons
low pay
Horrible place to work
Service Writer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham,alMarch 21, 2014
Express oil change is a joke. Too many chiefs in this company and none of which have a clue. Was recruited from previous employer and was promised the world and better pay than what I was making at previous employer. NEVER HAPPEND they promise the world and won't follow through insurance is 200 dollars a WEEK for family so by the time u get paid there is no money left. Would not recommend this place to the most hated person in my life. Such a disappointment
Pros
Discount on oil change
Cons
Everything including the kitchen sink
Good company to work for
Hood Tech (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALAugust 18, 2014
Learned how to sale. Co-works and management were great people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EXPRESS OIL CHANGE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9