Extended Stay Hotels Employee Reviews in United States

Working here sucked.
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glendale, COMarch 17, 2016
I worked here for almost two years and was passed up for raises twice. Management is just awful you are constantly left alone and have to do the job of three people. Coworkers were the best part of the job. I was not made full time or promoted even though i was doing things way outside my job description. Reading other reviews i see this is not an uncommon experience. For my first year there i was not getting any breaks lunch included. During my second year there the manager was forced to offer us lunch breaks. I still did not get any 15 minutes breaks and was not allowed to leave the property during lunch. After i found a new job i offered to stay on part time untile they found a replacement as i was the only person working days and instead was sent home and later fired for "no call no show" would never work here again. I didnt even get my free hotel stays because management never called the other property to set it up.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
understaffed under paid and overworked
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMarch 25, 2016
the turn over is high bc the lack of employees ... I worked 50 hours a week at times when we were short staff on housekeeping and front desk. they try and get it together but it still doesn't happen. then mgt would have a slick problem when I wanted to go out of town or go out with my friends just cuz he has to stay at the hotel doesn't mean I don't have a life . there is never enough linen , and the fault is taken by the front desk. the higher ups try and do things by the book depending on how they feel... im far from a disgruntle employee ... I do find it unfair I was fired for visiting a friend who was staying on the property ... but the asst manager can have a full blown affair with one of the renovation crew members ..which made me have to stay and extra hour when my relief was late and the mgr had the phone unplugged so I wasn't able to tell her but she still have a job .... upper end people have their ways and wants about how to deal with employees ...
Pros
the guest that live there are cool and personable
Cons
no personal life when they are short staffed, pay is not enough with the work that they expect you to do, no benefits for pt employees but they want to give you full time hours .
No Work/Life Balance
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 29, 2016
Upper Management expects property managers to work 10 to 12 hours, six days a week and be on call. Culture has changed since 2012 and has become more demanding and less compensation. Set up like "The Hunger Games" with districts.
Extended Stay America.. Sucks
GSR (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 3, 2016
Its really sad when you can not keep managers longer then 6 months and all they seem to care about is the might Buck..

Front desk Staff is a Skeleton crew pretty much all the time, Don't request time off cause they have no one to cover your shifts and when they do its usally someone who has no idea how to do the job..

lack of trust and allowing GSR's to be true GSR's... And for the sale dept a HUGE joke... They seem to pass the buck at this company lord for bid a Sale Director actually does there own job... another Dept. that seems to pass the buck and add more stress upon the staff at Hotel levels..

Doing R4R which is basically GSR and managers doing all the sale research and gather all the information and the sales dept. takes all the credit and commissions

Poor Pay as well and Benefits not worth it... They say they care about there employess all LIES.

Don't apply or waste your time , I say Run if you can if it was not that I have to use the paycheck to live and until I find a company that actually cares about there employess , I have to stay , I was treated better at Travelodge as a GSR then here.. and in my eyes extended stay is the same level with a kitchenette
Pros
NO Pro's to this company
Cons
poor Staffing lack of Good Management, poor corporate organization . lack of proper staff . over worked under paid
Varies by management:Good for quick pay
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 2, 2016
Some people are not cut out to be managers.
Little to no support or relationship from/with Management .
For the work you do, the pay ($10/hr) is not worth it.
Very cheap corporate,always trying to save money with little resources provided to the facilities.
Flexible with schedules.
Often times felt like a motel. Safety of employees was not guaranteed. Coworkers were decent. Made a good friend from my previous location.
You can be bored and have some free time to do your homework, but sometimes it can be hectic with impatient and rude clients.
If you need a job to pay a couple of bills for some time, this is it.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Horrible management
Upper Management
General Manager (Current Employee) –  MarylandMarch 10, 2016
Upper Management expects property managers to work 10 to 12 hours, six days a week and be on call 24/7. It has become more demanding and less compensation. The area has high turnover with job, but lack of support from Upper Management.
Relatively Easy Job, Horrible Pay
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 2, 2016
A typical day, I'm alone for the most part. The general manager comes and goes as she pleases. Management is no help whatsoever as they break rules all the time. Co-Workers are amazing because we have to depend on one another because the management like I previously stated is horrible. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the changing rules and regulations, and mean guests. The most enjoyable part of the job is the quiet, and those nice guests which are sometimes far and few between
Pros
Free stays at hotel
Cons
Management is horrible, bad pay
Ever changing
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 1, 2015
Working for ESA as front desk clerk is not like working at any other hotel in that position. You WILL be doing the work of three people. Laundry, Sales and Front desk. Corporate changes the policies on a weekly basis and you are expected to follow them. The policy with the dishes not in the room is insane. On top of that you just dont have the dishes to give the guests. I never worked in a hotel that ran out of toilet paper. My location did often as well as breakfast items. Management cares about their bonus not your input. The review on here that mentioned change the people or change the people was spot on. Think that was by a former GM. Turn around at ESA is ridiculous . Housekeepers have only 25mins to clean a room no matter how long the guest stayed. You will be checking guests into dirty rooms from time to time. Bed bugs are not uncommon and its awful to have a guest bitten. My AGM was our best worker and was overlooked when our GM was let go. Some loyalty. Do yourself a favor and dont work here. Its the worst hotel I ever worked for. Ill end by saying they promised I was eligible for benefits when I was hired and they flat out lied. 40 hours a week still part time .
Pros
Cons
poor pay, no full time and dishonesty
No time for Life
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMarch 18, 2016
As a Gm, I work 70-80 hours a week. Although, there are many people who love the job, I need to have a good life/work balance and this just is not it. Because of a low # of staff members, I do the job of 3 different people everyday. I love hospitality and pleasing people, but only if I have breaks and time off.
Pros
Good Salary unless you think about the hours worked vs salary
Cons
unrealistic expectations, imediate deadlines, very stressful, a high turnover
Good work place great area to work in
HOUSEKEEPER (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 9, 2016
Extended Stay was my first hotel job loved it until we had new management there was only 2 housekeepers and we had to work everyday for about six months . That wasnt the problem , the problem was the pay. We were only making 8$ something and being that the company was on a budget people left . IF you really like something stick to it but dont be taken advantage of. Still Good place to work
Pros
Receive 7 days off at any extended stay hotel for free !!!
Cons
If someone doesnt show up you have to pick up their work
No employee compassion
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 28, 2016
I don't recommend management along with corporate DON'T care high turnover INCLUDING management DON'T bother.

Pay is TERRIBLE some coworkers are fine but I don't recommend because the properties are bad and the workers are dinged for it when they just need to gut them and start over.

'the hardest part is real workers are never noticed and you have to make up for what they lack in.

A lot of the guest are great but because of the condition of the hotel employees are blamed.
Pros
you are employed
Cons
EVERYTHING
District and Regional Managers doesn't follow the guidelines of Corporate policies
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 14, 2016
This company will be great only if the General Managers actually ran the hotel and not the District or Regional Managers. Hourly employees have direct contact with District managers and calls them when ever they do not like something that management is doing and then the District manager calls the GM and tells them to do something totally different to please everybody
Pros
Bonus plan is easy and understandable
Cons
As a General Manager you are not in control of your hotel.
Lack of Professionalism
N/A (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 1, 2016
I just completed the recruitment process. I am not angry or upset that I was not offered a job(I took another job a few days before they got back with me.)
The communication was HORRIBLE. Appointments set by the recruiter were blown off by them. Phone calls not returned. DM missed a scheduled interview. Lots of excuses. Promised an answer by the DM who said he really wanted to get me on board, never called me back. I called and he said the Regional had not approved moving forward with me yet because he was unavailable. Never called back. I applied with another company, had interview the next day, then interviewed with the VP a few days later and got the job. Then Extended Stay sent me a form email to let me know they had selected someone else. Had to laugh. I don't know how the company treats employees, but the way they treat recruits is a big Red Flag.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Not Organized or Professional in Recruitment Process
Great for Experience!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 1, 2016
Promotions come fast and in great amounts to those who work hard and deserve it. For some it's a great beginning into a career. For others it's a great and/or new start!
Keeping Busy
General Manager/Regional GM Trainer (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAJune 11, 2016
Put your track shoes on!! If you like a busy environment, this is a great place to work. There is always something to do. I've learned SO much about the Customer Service industry and what drives and motivates people to success. I managed a very busy property and expected the most from my team. Our team was family oriented and we all worked together toward earning high scores in our service to guest satisfaction. The hardest part of the job, is walking away with unfinished business...it will be there upon your return tomorrow. I had a difficult time with pending tasks. I wanted to complete all tasks, which made for very long days. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new faces and hearing the adventures of folks abroad. Guest satisfaction was imperative.
Pros
7 Free nights per year
Cons
Few breaks from the work load
Good Luck
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 18, 2015
I've worked here for 3 months and it is just awful. If management isn't a fan of you, you'll feel it. If you show you're a team player, you'll be doing multiple roles. Nothing is consistent, management isn't the best and if there isn't any room for growth, especially if you're disliked. They cater to more contract workers but they do have guest that stay there long term, be it bad credit, or not being able to afford the rent plus utilities in the area. The managers are rude and selective with who they work with as far as making payments go. The company knows long term guests exists, why they haven't come up with some sort of deal or policy for them, I do not know. They're in the position to be helpful and caring to people with certain situations, they'd do right by acknowledging and creating a thing.
Pros
It's not stressful
Cons
Low pay, bad management
Long hours, no support from upper management
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Pacific NorthwestJune 23, 2016
I have worked for ESA for almost 10 years and it has gotten worse and worse and worse. It was pretty fun at the beginning, but after the company changed hands in 2012 and I started moving into management, I began to see the behind the scenes stuff. You are expected to work 7 days a week if necessary, pulling doubles with no breaks. No effort is made on the part of upper management to help make sure hotel is staffed properly. I will say, ESA is okay if you don't ever want to go into management. Pay is laughable, training minimal, workload demand is high. Absolutely ridiculous. Upper management 'manages' by threats. Because of the market ESA is aimed at, guests stay a long time. It is difficult to get upper management to help with difficult long term guests and evictions, leaving property level associates to deal with nightmarish situations. Stay far, far, FAR away.
Pros
You get a paycheck
Cons
Absolutely no life
Worse company
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 16, 2016
I worked at extended stay for 7 yrs at first it was the best job with the managers and then turned out to be a nightmare. They let a gsr who didn't know how to be a manager be a manager talked to you like you was nothing. Act like he was on some type of drug all the time. Went and complained had 3 different meetings with the dm and managers and still nothing was done. My experience might have been a little better if he never came along as a fake manager.. WARNING DO NOT WORK AT EXTENDED STAY PROPERTY 115 it will be the worst experience of your life. Plus I worked there for 7yrs started off at 8.00 and left making 8.95 anyone applying good luck with this company
Hard work overnight shift doing the hotel laundry but the residents were very kind.
Night Guest Laundry Attendant (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CA and Arcadia, CAOctober 23, 2015
Very busy extended stay hotel where most of the rooms are occupied by residents who live there. With all the travel websites now it is very busy working overnight on weekends with many many distractions. Not all employees are real friendly but you make do. It takes a lot of time management skills to make sure you get things done by certain times of the night. Management not to understanding of how busy it is Overnight or the housekeeping staff not understanding when you are not able to finish because of things out of your control.
Pros
Listen to music as you work
Cons
No lunch break or break times often they get interrupted as I was the only employee in the building
Unprofessional
Guest service representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAJanuary 14, 2016
Poor management. They do not care about the staff! My manager then was complaining and made it hard for me even if I told her I need to be seen by the doctors! Working front desk was an awesome experience, especially getting to know your regular guest who stay for months cause of work. The pay sucks really bad. Did I mention the DM is unprofessional and rude to employees?
Pros
Working independently
Cons
Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extended Stay Hotels. Our community is ready to answer.