Exterran Employee Reviews

Worklife Balance
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2018
Not your typical professional work culture. The executive management team has changed so there were improvements. It will take time and process changes for the company to reach a normal operating environment.
Field mechanic Tech. SR. (Former Employee) –  Sonora, TXJanuary 17, 2018
During my work there I provided preventative maintenance by changing bad valves in compressors. I had to change oil filters, plugs, and PM engines. Sometimes driving as far 300 miles in a single day. I was available at a call at all times for over time and call outs. I was involved with safety at all aspects of the job. With the company demanding that all employees have professional work ethics. The job provided all employees with mandatory safety talks about our jobs, for example how to safely tag out, lock out engines to be worked on. The most enjoyable part of our job was family vacation time off. The hardest part of the job was the long hours, and working in foul weather conditions. However, the company is there to serve the customer, with the best part of the job keeping clients happy with low engine down time. I learned a lot about the wiring on the engines and how to replace faulty parts. Workplace culture was challenging due to the personal cultures that each individual brought to the workplace. Each person unique in his own way, bringing all his knowledge and then learning to work in the best and safest possible way for the benefit of the company and all employees.
Pros
good pay
Good money and benifits
Natural Gas Compression Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2018
Lack of communication with management. Work is fast paced and if you strive for perfection and a great bonus, you have to work hard and put in long hours.
Not Recommended
Purchasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kilgore, TXDecember 29, 2017
I am not even sure this company still exist. The management was poor and the people that worked their was poor. Its a good job, but not a good company.
Productive and safe enviorment place to work at.
Hydro technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 30, 2017
Working at Exterran has been a good journey. Testing vessels, pipes, heat exchangers etc. was a challenge but, our supervisor and area managers are good at providing us with the tools that we need to complete our task safely.
Learned a lot
Compressor and Pump Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Belle Chasse, LANovember 14, 2017
Everyone there treated each other with respect we worked as a team and the leadership there would help you with questions and made sure that everyone was treated equally
Pros
Gave you the chance to learn and everyone was a team player
Cons
the oil field got bad which caused lay offs
Not a good place to work
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 7, 2017
Plenty of room for advancement but pay scale never matches. Will have new hires working underneath leads while getting paid more. Managers leading crews without any field knowledge.
loved it
Mary Niccum, office mgr (Former Employee) –  Pampa, TX 79065November 6, 2017
had the best job ever. learned alot. everyone was helpful and i was always being trained for new and more things . too bad they closed that office. i wish i still worked there
Poor upper management direction and support. People are enjoyable to work with.
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2017
Typical day at work was fire fighting most of the day. Goals were not clearly set by management.

I learned a lot of valuable experiences at Exterran and really enjoyed the people that I worked with.

Being in manufacturing, there was a lack of support from support groups (Maintenance, Quality, Warehouse). This is not due to the people that work in those departments, but this was because of narrow scope of just focusing on manufacturing resources by upper management when business picked up.

The hardest part of the job was trying to do the job of 2 different people while trying to hit goals that were somewhat out of control of the position.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Lack of management support, slow to make needed changes
Houston Based Company
Painter/Blaster (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2017
They're good about throwing holiday parties . Lot of company get together s didn't get too much sleep while working for them.I got inspired by the old guys teaching me new techniques on how to operate sensitive equipment .
Pros
Lead other workers alone .
Cons
Having to constant productivity no matter who got hurt .
Ok place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Rifle, COOctober 23, 2017
Manager cared about direct reports. Upper management level did not care about employees only bottom line and performance. Very egotistical and was happy when employees could be driven by fear.
Great work place
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 17, 2017
Good work place loved the people. Good hours liked that i work almost everyday. A job that made sure all safety was followed. Just a great place to work.
A very good company
Field Service Technician II (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 12, 2017
It was a good company but it soldout and was layed off! I enjoyed and loved all my co worker we all worked as a team to give the company and customers a 100% on service..
Good
Good
Big Company- Very Bad Management
Field Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Rifle, COSeptember 28, 2017
Management was very poor-
Accountability was very bad-
Very political company to work for-
My supervisor was on the chop list in a different area, then got promoted to supervisor of my area.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
Manangement very bad
good place good benifits bad service manager
Field service technician (Former Employee) –  Karnes City, TXSeptember 19, 2017
great company just had a bad service manager good benefits and great money and overtime, oil field work so constantly busy but the pay was worth it...
Your not from around here are you boy
Senior welder (Former Employee) –  Columbus, TXSeptember 18, 2017
If you live around the area and know at least one person there you will probably be fine. If not you better make friends fast and fly below radar or your job will be filled with numerous people trying there best to make it miserable while working insane amount of hours in a very loud, dirty, hot environment. This place did an great job of keeping me with a paycheck till I could find another place.
Pros
They do pay well
Cons
workplace is very clickish and if you not in your out.
Good coworkers
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2017
Good place to work for people that do not like advancement to stuck on one place without promotion I do not if have to do with the race, nationality.
Pros
Sometimes free food
Cons
Breaks, lunch.
cut throat
Field service tech (Former Employee) –  Oak Hill, WVSeptember 11, 2017
low paid, disrespecting, horrible management, long days and worked alot of weekends, favoritism, long travels, the company was too big for its own good
Less than favorable
Sr. HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 29, 2017
A lot of cliques, not a cohesive management, everyone was in it for themselves, not the better of the business. I learned to listen to my gut instincts and should never have taken the position offered to me. They often would tell you one thing and then deny that they said that to you. Found myself fighting for my life. Was a relief when I was laid off due to a downturn in the cost of oil.
Pros
Cons
Too many cliques and backstabbing
Horrible Place
Document Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2017
Not a place to work, if you want to move up in the company. Too many changes in management. Higher ups are lazy. Didn't receive a raise in 3 years. Revolving door for those not in management positions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exterran. Our community is ready to answer.