Extra Help, Inc. Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Transitional Living Adviser
Transitional Living Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 6, 2016
If you don't have extremely tough skin and aren't assertive this isn't the job for you. The clients are extremely rough and constantly need crisis intervention. The police are called more often than not since the clients know you have no true power over them. DCFS has so many regulations you're literally just a babysitter. They have such a high turnover right you could end up working 7 days a week. It's also hard to get days off. When I worked there management was AWFUL. They hired a program director that had less experience than I did, and advised us to do stuff that was against DCFS standards that could've put us under investigation. You do a lot of cleaning since there isn't much else to do. The youth keep the apartments disgusting so hopefully you don't have a weak stomach or a strong sense of smell. I got along with the kids very well so I didn't really have a problem with them, but 95% of the staff did. Good money for just a bachelors, but difficult work. A lot of the coworkers are lazy too. You can tell they're just there for the money and don't really care about the kids, which in turn makes the kids act out more. It was literally like I had 12 teenage kids of my own. They really get attached and look forward to seeing you. They cared about my health and well being more than I cared about it myself. Like I said it can be EXTREMELY stressful when you're dealing with suicide attempts nightly though. The program is supposed to teach life skills, but none of the kids are interested. They get money for food, clothes, and even taking birth control. They also get free phones  more... with phone cards monthly. This program does not teach them to be independent. It does the complete opposite. It's pretty sad actually.  less
Pros
Decent money, and program doesn't actually help clients, it hurts them by making them dependent on the financial help.
Cons
No room for advancement, very stressful, always short staffed, not good management at the time
Don't use unless you have even less than McSkills
Extra Help, Inc (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 16, 2016
Office staff seems very disorganized. You walk in with an appointment, but you often have to wait for long times after your appointment, worse than a drs office.

Our local office also has a side business on the other side of the room, so they are going back and forth. Helter skelter.
Staff was often impatient and rude with the people coming in for jobs. I would be waiting for my appointment, and listen to them complain about having to deal with another person, another appointment, etc. Hey, it's your JOB. Perhaps you should sign up with a temp agency and find a new one!

Jobs are not actually matched/suited to the person or the requested job interests. Everyone is a number, a hunk of meat that they can push out the door. Never once did I get a job that was under my interest category. Mostly offering warehouse jobs, which is just like every other agency in the area - nothing special, nothing new.

I only had warehouse jobs offered, which I took for a while. But they were cattle calls, with no real appreciation or value placed on the workers at all. Definitely got the impression that if I died on the job, they'd just step over the body and call "next".

They definitely do not appreciate their workers or treat them like anything but a number. Communication is a joke - even trying to get your paycheck is a roll of the dice. They don't offer direct deposit, so you have to come to the office and pick it up. But they are closed on Mondays, you can only pick up during certain hours, etc. They don't notify anyone of checks being in and available - you have to contact them.
  more...

Overall, if you can sign up with a different agency, I advise it.
Pros
Found a little work, even if not in my field, Some paycheck better than zero.
Cons
Never jobs in your experience field, little/poor communication, hard to get paychecks, no direct deposit, poor people skills
inconsistent work
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJuly 7, 2015
Inconsistent work but helpful. There s not very many options or places to help. Halfway decent pay, shifts available. Laborers have to check in to see if there any openings, it s hit or miss
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Inconsistent work, not temp to hire
When you reach temp. service status.
Temp. Employee (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 6, 2015
At a point, temp. services are ok only if it would stay temporary. Companies are too willing to keep you at the temp. level. Its a shame temp. services are quicker to call unemployment offices for you not calling, or refusing a job that is an hour each way and at minimum wage. If all temporary placement services had the employee in mind and truly fit them to the jobs they can excel in, they would then be doing their job.
Cons
never fit the job to the employee. find jobs that are too far to travel and at low pay. no insurance, no holiday with pay, once placed in a job, never call to notify of a possible closer and a better paying job.
Productive and busy.
Warehouse Labor (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILFebruary 1, 2015
The Job keeps you very busy throughout your entire shift. Management will work with you. Co-workers get along well with each other.